Guest viewing is limited

THR Compression stockings

The comment about how he wouldn't have put the cup at that angle really threw me for a loop. Like it's a game to these people. Just slap it in and call it good enough and not worry about how this affects my life.
Oh don't think like that! The surgeons I have worked with are very meticulous about implant positioning. And they DO care about what happens to the patient afterwards. There have been more than a few that have pointed out how they also have to live with their mistakes for the rest of their career!
 
@YoungHippy, that's too bad about your continued limp/pain and a confusing appointment. When doctors were trying to find out why I continued to have pain/limp after my THR, I also had a diagnostic sacroiliac injection. If the pain and limp had stopped or gotten significantly better after the injection, then that would show that there was a problem with the SI joint. For me, there was no change in my limp/pain after the shot, and neither my original surgeon or the physiatrist that he sent me to had any other ideas of what could be wrong, so I found a different orthopedic surgeon who was able to give a correct diagnosis.

I hope you are having the injection before you go to PT for the manipulation and exercises.
 
Oh don't think like that! The surgeons I have worked with are very meticulous about implant positioning. And they DO care about what happens to the patient afterwards. There have been more than a few that have pointed out how they also have to live with their mistakes for the rest of their career!

I do think that most surgeons do care, why else would they be in this line of work? I am just so disappointed right now! 3 surgeries and I guess I should be grateful to be walking, but still it's 3 surgeries that it seems like something was wrong with each one. The original surgeon somehow overlooking that a portion of my femur was missing, and now a cup that may be misplaced. I feel so let down.
 
I'm so sorry you are struggling, and wish I had some sage advice regarding injections and manipulation...I'm afraid I don't know what the protocol should be.:umm:
I do however sympathise with your frustration...I'm sure I would feel the same.
Sending Healing hugs:friends:
 
Hi @YoungHippy
So sorry for your struggles and frustration.
Prayers you find answers and relief soon.
Sending a hug and wishes for a good week. :flwrysmile:
 
:wave:
Hope you are well.
We're you able to get an injection of some solutions to your ongoing pain issues?
I hope so!
On your side ...:thumb:
 
Thanks for checking on me @Mojo333 :)

I still check in frequently, I'm just not always signed in. I had a slight accident with my phone a while back, or I guess you could say my butt had an accident. I had my phone in my back pocket and then slipped on my front porch. I had the bruise in the shape of my cell phone for about a week after. I was only a little sore from the fall. Sadly my phone was a total loss. Replaced the phone, just takes awhile to remember to log into all my sites.

I wasn't able to get the injection done at all, nor attend PT. Actually tried to schedule the injection, but found out it wasn't just a matter of getting the injection. My surgeon actually sent me to a pain management clinic for that. And they don't just do the injection as he ordered, they want you to do an evaluation first (for 500$) then they decide whether an injection is right for you. I'm not sure what he ordered, but it was obviously more than what I signed up for. PT was actually reasonable in cost, after the initial evaluation visit. I just never was able to come up with the cash for the eval. Being without insurance really sucks.

Overall though, my pain has lessened. I was taking Tylenol 4 times a day, as in I had a bottle in my purse, on my desk at home, and in my station at both jobs. Now I rarely have to take it. Less than once a week now. I did go to the beach a couple weeks ago, and between walking in the sand, climbing a dune, and time in the pool I was sore for several days.

I still have my good friend the limp. I still cannot climb steps normally one foot after the other. But most days now I can lift my leg high enough to get in my truck. (Most days) The challenge now is being able to raise my leg from a seated position. On the days that I drive the car it's a challenge to get out due to having to raise my leg over the threshold to get out.

Long story short, I just don't think this is right, but it's hopefully manageable enough to make it until I can do better. It could always be alot worse. Atleast I'm able to get around and work.
 
Oh my stars...cell phone imprint on the behind.
That had to hurt.:oyvey:
It's amazing what we put in these little devices..my old phone met it's demise and it was such a pain with numbers I didn't have, etc.
I'm not especially text savvy do I didn't have info backed up anywhere and it was a huge pain.

I had no insurance for a long time so it's one of the reasons it took so long for me to get my diagnosis and eventually hips done.
I wish things were better for you but don't give up ...there may be some charitable organizations that help with medical in your area?
I got insurance through the Affordable Care Act which has stipulations that you have to make at least $12,180 per year to qualify in our age group.
I'm glad you are at least getting out...going to the beach is good for your spirit if not for your leg.
I shall pray things find a way !
 
Haven't updated in awhile, so here goes:

Still doing my same 2 jobs, nail salon and tanning bed. Coming up on my third Christmas rush in the nail salon. Already know Christmas eve is fully booked with appointments, plus the last minute walk-ins. Looking at a 10+ hour day on my feet for that.

I ran into the podiatrist that used to treat my grandfather in the coffee shop about a month ago. She saw my limp and told me I should make an appointment with her to be properly fitted with a lift. Made the appointment and went in. She had me walk barefooted, and said that my op leg foot drops when walking, and that I am lifting the leg higher to make up for it. She said it resembles climbing stairs on even ground. She also measured the same 1/4 inch lld that everyone else has measured. She also noted that I pronate when I walk, which isn't helping things either. She took apart my brand new sketchers (that hurt my feelings to watch) and added a 1/4 inch lift for the right side, and supportive insoles for both feet. The shoes came out looking fine, but walking much differently :) She suggested that I need a brace to help with my drop foot. She said she could either refer me to orthotics where they would charge me high dollars for a professionally fitted custom brace, or that she could possibly put something together for me if given a little time. I was wearing leggings the day I went in and she said that my right leg is visibly atrophied. She thinks that my peroneal nerve is damaged. I am still waiting for my brace, as she is waiting on components to arrive. But the insoles are magical. They did take a while to get used to.

I got them on a Friday morning a few minutes before I had to work a long shift at the nail salon. My feet were killing me by the time I had been there 3 hours. I had thoughts of taking the insole out of my shoes and going back to what I was used to. My boss noticed my discomfort and kept telling me to go sit down until someone needed something. I pushed through and made it to the end of the shift and was determined to burn those shoes once I got home. Usually after I am on my feet walking all day I have issues with leg cramps on my op side. Like it feels like my foot is bending sideways trying to touch my knee. I generally have to take a flexeril to get any relief, without them I spend my night getting up to walk off the cramps. After the first day with the lift and new insoles I didn't have one single cramp. So, even though my feet hurt like heck for the first little while I counted it as a success. Because before my feet would still be hurting by the end, and then I'd still have to walk off cramps on those sore feet. After a month with the insoles my feet don't hurt until the usual 8 hour point of being on them, and I am still cramp free. So the few days of worse pain was worth it.

Now for the questions:
Foot drop: I thought that a foot drop would indicate that I couldn't lift that foot at all. While sitting I can move that foot anyway I need to. Remember the ankle pumps we used to do when we weren't walking as much? I have no problem with those. So what is the difference in sitting and standing on that?

I have been reading: peroneal nerve innervates the muscles in the outer calf area. This is the same muscles that were cramping up. So what does that mean? That the nerve is sometimes sending messages, and sometimes not?

I'm sure I will come up with more questions as this goes on. Who else has had this happen?
 
:wave:Good to see you on the forum.
Hate that you are struggling though.
@Khaspi and @aussie11 I believe both had diagnoses of foot drop.
Hopefully they will weigh in or you can check out their threads.

Wishing you all the best as we near the holidays!:tree lights:
 
@YoungHippy, I don't have foot drop, but I did some reading on the Wikipedia page about it. Apparently there are five gradations of weakness that can be seen with foot drop, ranging from slight weakness to complete inability to lift the foot. If you have it, perhaps it is a partial situation, which can still cause some disability. Hope you can get the correct diagnosis, whatever is wrong.
 
These are questions that are best answered by our forum nurse, @Josephine. Unfortunately she is off the forum for a while, so she won't be able to respond right away. I'm glad you have the support of a good podiatrist and that at least some of your problems have been dealt with successfully.

It would also be advisable for you to locate a good orthopedist who is a foot specialist to take a look. There is likely such a person connected with the clinic with your knee surgeon for a second opinion. Since you may have muscle atrophy, it is possible that some targeted therapy might help you as well.
 
Foot drop: I thought that a foot drop would indicate that I couldn't lift that foot at all.
Krista has it right! Have you considered seeing a chiropractor? I think that would be better than a podiatrist as it's a problem with your entire leg not just your foot!

[Bonesmart.org] Compression stockings
 
It's been awhile.

I'm starting to feel as if I have my own personal soap opera with this hip. Perhaps we need to change my thread title to "As the hip turns"?

2019 was a rough year jobwise. My boss gave me a raise, but then started expecting way more of me than what I was able to do. Originally I was hired for the nail salon and tanning bed. Tanning bed was easy, nail salon was tougher but still manageable. Then my boss bought an apartment building, and had me oversee the renovations for that. 8 apartments that I personally had to go in each 3 times every day except for Sunday. 8 sets of stairs that I had to climb each time. All while doing my normal duties at the nail salon and the tanning bed. The leg cramps returned with a vengeance. And of course my old friend the limp gets worse the tireder I am. So, I did what any sane person would do. I posted on FB about how badly I hated my job. I only expected a little sympathy, and got that, but was also offered a new job. I thought the person was joking. Turns out they were serious. I started on a trial basis with 2 days a week, while still working the nail salon and tanning bed. It went so well that I was offered full time. On what would have been my 3rd anniversary at the nail salon I turned in my 2 weeks notice. Now I am a secretary at an automotive body shop. I file insurance claims, manage social media accounts, take damage photos, pick up parts from local sources, and drive the boss around when he needs to go somewhere. Monday-Friday, 9-5. No weekends. It's a pretty good deal. Just the right amount of walking to keep me moving, without running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

I went full time just in time for open enrollment for the ACA. I was able to sign up for insurance through one of the local insurance companies that helps with that kind of thing. I really thought 2020 was going to be my year to figure out the mystery of why I walk the way I do. My insurance cards came in the first week of January. I read my card and that's when I discovered that I have insurance, but I really don't. It's one of those high deductible plans where I have to spend 7000$ out of pocket before they will cover anything. I contacted the local company that helped me sign up. They said that they automatically signed people up for whatever plan their subsidy would cover at 100%, because that's what most people want. If I had known what was going on I could have opted to pay more every month to have real insurance. Seriously, for 96$ a month I could have had real insurance. The local company also informed me that now I am stuck with this plan until the next open enrollment unless I switch jobs or get married and qualify for a new enrollment period. So back to square one again.

Another new development: I even limp in my dreams now. Up until recently in my dreams I was normal again. Walking, running, dancing etc. Now the limp is there even in my dreams.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom