Guest viewing is limited

THR Compression stockings

@ScarlettB Looking forward to reading your thread. Have been wondering about you the past few days since I knew we had the same date. Glad you made it over :)
 
At 4 days out you shouldn't be doing PT! And actually hips don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

But apart from that, heel slides are totally pointless for a THR. It's a flexion exercise for knees!

I agree with you 100% At this point I am cooperating with PT as much as I can, mainly because I just spent 4 months not being able to move. I will cooperate and be respectful and will try anything once as long as it doesn't cause undo pain. When it is too much I will speak up. I like the home PT guy as he actually respected me when I said "Hey, lets not do that right now". As long as we keep that mutual respect we will get on fine. Hospital PT was more like "you are going to do this and now" and I lost all respect for them. I don't feel this is about numbers on a score card, it's about getting me used to being mobile again.
 
So when is it time to worry if you haven't had a bowel movement? Today makes 7 days since I have had one. It's starting to get a little worrisome. I'm not uncomfortable, I just haven't had any urge to go. I have been taking stool softeners daily since December, only skipped days when I had appointments, and the hospital upped them to one in the morning and one at night. For the past 2 days I have also taken correctol with no results. I've never been one who goes every single day, but at least every other day.

Also have to call the os office tomorrow. Apparently the phone nurse never called them and I found out today that she transferred my case to another nurse. I had the drainage issues on Thursday and thought it was just going to be like the drainage after the ORIF surgeries. But everything stayed dry Friday and Saturday. Yesterday I walked a little more than I have been. I had been keeping to the front of the house. Which consists of a bedroom, living room and bathroom. I get up to walk at least every hour during the day, and sometimes a couple times at night when I wake up. Doesn't sound like alot but it adds up. Like my first day home my range was the bathroom and back. But then I would detour to look out the front door, or to the bedroom to annoy the cats, etc. I just hadn't been to my kitchen yet. Yesterday I decided I wanted to make my own coffee and went to the kitchen, it's only about 40 extra steps. Well the first trip went so well that I went back and fixed my own lunch later on. Maybe that was too much. When I woke up today I was sore and I had drainage again. Not as much as before, and still clear viscous fluid with no smell. I just don't get the connection between walking and drainage.

The only PT I have done since Friday is the clenches and foot pumps. Not deliberately not doing it, just seem to have trouble concentrating. That's probably the lack of sleep showing. For today I am back to my range of just the front of the house and resting with my Netflix. I have read some of the recovery threads where people are walking much more than I am and feeling a little behind. The not walking at all for those months is catching up with me now.
 
Seven days seems a bit much, might want to give your doc a call and see what some appropriate next steps are. I was five days out before my bowels decided to kick into gear again.
 
@YoungHippy
It sounds like you are doing well. I think I finally had a bowel movement on day 7 or 8. I had been taking stool softners but to get things "started" (so to speak) I used a glycerine suppository. I take stool softners all the time anyway so I think that may be why I had to get something else to help.
I hope you will continue to rest & take it slow & easy. As you know, there's lots of support here from the BS family!
SweetPea69
 
Oh boy what a fun couple of days! Not!

My little issue went from not uncomfortable to very uncomfortable quickly. I finally called the Dr and ended up speaking with the nurse. She was kinda amazed that this was my first time like this considering 3 surgeries in 4 months and pain killers off and on during all of it. She thinks it may have been the anti nausea meds I was given that spurred this episode. I asked her how to proceed and her advice was an enema. The thought of that was horrifying. I had an enema once at age 17 and remember it as really traumatic. I asked if there was any other way. So she then suggested suppositories, but warned that the relief would not be as quick as the enema and could be a longer process. And that if I didn't experience any relief in a few hours then it may be time to go to the er and handle things that way. Of course I went the suppository route and had alot of relief an hour later. Not complete relief but enough that I was able to sleep for a period of time. So today's plans include repeating the suppository along with my stool softeners and mirilax to keep things from getting out of hand again.

Of course now I'm scared of my pain medication. Even though I really feel this was the result of the anti nausea meds. So it's a matter of do I how do I want to hurt. Had I rather my hip hurt or my tummy. The hip pain seems more dignified. I am trying Tylenol today to see how that works for me. So far it's doing ok. It keeps the pain down to a 2. It's not the complete relief but I think it's workable.

For some reason I thought this recovery would be easier than the rest. The ORIF surgeries were painful and depressing. Depressing in that I didn't seem to have any progress. To me progress would be walking so to go through that much pain and then have to wait 3 months to walk. So this time I am walking even though I am only partial weight bearing, but still stuck here in this house. I have been in this house with my mother for 4 months now. Only leaving for Dr appointments. That is still unchanged. I did live with my mom all along, and we got along well. But the reason we got along so well was because we had opposite work schedules. She works overnight shifts and sleeps during the day. I worked day shift and live in assignments where I would go live in my clients home for 2 or 3 days at a time. Even when I worked over night shifts the hours were different enough that we still only saw each other for an hour a day at most. So for the past 4 months I have spent multiple hours daily with my mom. I have to admit at first it was kinda nice. 4 months later it's more like if I don't get through this and go back to work soon I might just go completely insane. I am very thankful that she has been here and has helped me through this, but enough already.

I also have to mention that her driving scares me to death. Which it's not just her driving. My uncle brought me home from the hospital and his driving scares me too. I think it's being in a car and not driving my self. Until the accident I was rarely ever in the car if I wasn't driving. It was more like "oh, you want me to go to the store with you, sure give me your keys, I'm driving". When I get to drive again it will be a wonderful day.

I received a letter telling me that I have been accepted into the nursing program at the local college. They only accept 60 students every year and it is highly competitive with a couple thousand students in a 4 county radius trying for these slots. So it really hurts my feelings that I can't accept this. Both my Dr and the nursing instructor feel that I would be taking on too much too soon to attempt working full time and going to school full time less than 4 months after this. Pick one or the other they say. I have to choose working since I have been out for 4 months already. Plus without working I can't afford school. I used my 12 semesters of Pell grants a few years ago. 2 years of prerequisites for nursing only to find out that some mistakes from my teenage years prevented me from moving forward at that time. I gave up and ended up with a degree in computer programming that is mostly useless in the area where I live. I have been a certified nursing assistant for 22 years now and am ready to move up in the food chain. I love what I do, just don't love the pay that will never be what I'm worth. So it's depressing that once again I am at a stand still on bettering my life.

I am just an emotional ball here lately and am so ready for things to get back to at least normal.
 
@YoungHippy i can relate to the not being able to drive thing. For me the issue is that I get motion sickness if I am not driving. I am not sure how I am going to do as a passenger for a while.

Hoping this is a small speed-bump on the way to a great journey.
 
I agree with @Zelda , if you've been accepted in the nursing program this year, then surely you are an ideal candidate for next year.
After my THR I found that the secret to stubborn bowels is figs. When my Dr first put me on the heavy pain meds a few years ago, he told me to drink prune juice, and that's good too, but not as good as figs. Plus figs contain iron - another benefit.
Emotions are another thing we have all gone through here, and this is the best place to bring them! BS folks understand and don't judge.:flwrysmile:
 
@YoungHippy

Once you get things moving, it does get much easier (even with opiods). Each person is different, but I actually cut my stool softener down a little at this point to every other day ......and it helped give the muscles something 'to push'. I was taking too many softeners and it was simply too mushy! Please don't be afraid of your pain meds....once you have done a suppository, you know that you can quickly fix a problem. Experiment with different foods - some people rave about pruned, figs, coffee, and other items. But take your meds if you need them-

As far as being housebound, I felt like progress moved along pretty rapidly. But periodically, I would just go stir crazy! I had trouble traveling in a car for longer than 20 minutes, so I couldn't go far, but I was able to drive at 3 1/2 weeks (automatic car, left leg op). Hopefully, you will be able to do so soon!

I am so impressed by your option for school. Is it a 1 yr, 2 yr, or longer program? Just curious if there are additional options for school. Part time school and part-time work for your first semester.....and expand either area in January as you are strengthening? Spent 3 years myself getting an advanced degree, and the time that I spent (while very broke) changed so much in my life. So are there other ways to jumpstart this next career leap? Since there is such a nursing shortage, you might see about an employer that would reimburse those expenses or any other program that could help you reach this goal. It feels like people are saying you have to do it THIS way, but I hope you can take the time to invest in yourself and your dreams. This month is overwhelming, so don't make any decisions right now.

Rest, heal, and let your family take great care of you-
 
Will they defer the place for a year? After all if they accepted you this year, they obviously really like you.

They do not do deferment, it's pretty much you are in or you are out. So I will have to reapply next year.

I agree with @Zelda , if you've been accepted in the nursing program this year, then surely you are an ideal candidate for next year.
After my THR I found that the secret to stubborn bowels is figs. When my Dr first put me on the heavy pain meds a few years ago, he told me to drink prune juice, and that's good too, but not as good as figs. Plus figs contain iron - another benefit.
Emotions are another thing we have all gone through here, and this is the best place to bring them! BS folks understand and don't judge.:flwrysmile:

I actually love figs and will try this :)



@YoungHippy

Once you get things moving, it does get much easier (even with opiods). Each person is different, but I actually cut my stool softener down a little at this point to every other day ......and it helped give the muscles something 'to push'. I was taking too many softeners and it was simply too mushy! Please don't be afraid of your pain meds....once you have done a suppository, you know that you can quickly fix a problem. Experiment with different foods - some people rave about pruned, figs, coffee, and other items. But take your meds if you need them-

As far as being housebound, I felt like progress moved along pretty rapidly. But periodically, I would just go stir crazy! I had trouble traveling in a car for longer than 20 minutes, so I couldn't go far, but I was able to drive at 3 1/2 weeks (automatic car, left leg op). Hopefully, you will be able to do so soon!

I am so impressed by your option for school. Is it a 1 yr, 2 yr, or longer program? Just curious if there are additional options for school. Part time school and part-time work for your first semester.....and expand either area in January as you are strengthening? Spent 3 years myself getting an advanced degree, and the time that I spent (while very broke) changed so much in my life. So are there other ways to jumpstart this next career leap? Since there is such a nursing shortage, you might see about an employer that would reimburse those expenses or any other program that could help you reach this goal. It feels like people are saying you have to do it THIS way, but I hope you can take the time to invest in yourself and your dreams. This month is overwhelming, so don't make any decisions right now.

Rest, heal, and let your family take great care of you-

I had applied for the LPN program. The first time I did this I applied for the RN program which is 2 years. At that time I had 2 years to dedicate to just school and could only work part time if I chose to. LPN is a 1 year program. My reasoning for LPN over RN this time was that I could atleast be in the work force in a year rather than 2. CNA pay isn't the greatest in the world, here LPN pay almost doubles that. So I could be working at a higher rate of pay within a year, and I could make sure I really wanted to be a nurse. It has always been my dream, but I have discovered that sometimes reality is alot different than our dreams. Go for LPN, get some work experience, then I can decide to transition to RN or stay as a LPN. Either way it is more money for less physical strain on my body. As a CNA I often work alone, even on patients that are considered a 2 person assist. Meaning that I am the only one spinning a 300 pound person around to change their diaper. At 17 this was easy and I never thought about it. 20 odd years later I can tell it at the end of the shift that I was doing things I just shouldn't be doing. I do realize that even a higher degree will mean that I am still doing patient care that involves lifting etc. But the fact is that as an aide if you ask for another person it is frowned upon, as an LPN or RN no body thinks twice when you ask for another person to help with lifting. CNAs are really the bottom of the food chain. The school expects my decision by Monday. If I accept it requires a lot of the prereq stuff be done within the next 2 weeks. Physicals, information sessions, meetings with various instructors, tours etc. It just seems like so much right now, whereas before I could have worked a 12 hour shift and still did it all. Waiting a year means retaking 2 classes. Both my chemistry and anatomy credits expire in September. I aced these classes before and will be able to ace them again.


As of today I am firing home PT. They cannot give me a schedule as to when they will arrive at my house, and if they do give me estimated time they often show up 3 hours early or late. I cannot take pain meds that way. For instance if PT says they are coming at 3, I can make sure and take that med at 2:30 which really does help with the PT. However if they tell me 3 and then show up at 11 I haven't had a chance to take pain meds. I am not sure why they cannot just say that they will come at a certain time and just be there close to that time, and I do not like it. And why would I want to get up at 7am to wait for them, when I could just keep my regular schedule and handle the milder exercises on my own? And by milder exercises I mean the ones that don't hurt while I am doing them or afterward.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. It really does feel like that my family and friends all expected a miraculous recovery and that I would be able to handle all the things I used to handle right away. Before all this I handled all the medical appointments for my family as well as worked. I literally picked everyone up, made them go to the doctor, set up their meds for them etc. I have been getting phone calls this week that my aunt has started making appointments again and expecting I was going to take her. So I have had to explain that I still can't drive, and that I most definitely don't feel up to driving and walking for miles to get to these appointments.
 
LPN is a 1 year program.

So I could be working at a higher rate of pay within a year, and I could make sure I really wanted to be a nurse.

Either way it is more money for less physical strain on my body.
.

12 months seems like a short time to invest in yourself and give YOU a better financial and physical life. I know that logistics aren't always easy. Living with a family member can be difficult, but after one year of sacrifice.....you will be saving yourself from future injuries and making double the income? Sounds like a good plan at a time that your body needs some rest and healing.

Whether you can take out some loans, or plan on working once you get 3-4 months into the program....you probably CAN work in some capacity. I just hate for you to react to a short term challenge....that will be better before starting school in September. At 4 weeks, everything felt daunting. At 9 weeks, it is improving greatly. (Taking care of my kids solo 6-10 hours a day.). And you are even younger than me!

Whatever you decide, school will be there....another year or three! In my head though, three years of more physical labor & half the wages.....would make up for the tough year. I would seriously try to work out school logistics. Good luck with your decision!
 
Thanks for the encouragement. I thought really hard about trying to work and school at the same time. I did decide to put it off for one more year. Maybe start in January and retake my anatomy and chemistry. In the meantime I can concentrate on getting stronger and getting reestablished in my job. I'm ready to get back to work and see my residents again. I've talked to my boss about coming back on overnight shift, figure that will be a good way to get back into the swing of things. Also went ahead and made it clear that for the first little while I would only work one shift per day and not the doubles they were used to me working. Used to I would go in at 7pm to help the 3-11 shift, and work my 11-7, and stay over if 7-3 needed help the next morning. For the first little while I want to take it easy, relearn my people, and see how things go. There will always be doubles when I am ready.

Today has been busy. Woke up this morning to my mom's car being tore up. Had to call my uncle to fix that. So when he shows up I took my first journey off the porch. Spent most of the day outside watching him work, taking breaks to come in and rest for a bit. In all I think I went in and out 3 times. Could really tell it on that last trip inside though. I have a wheelchair ramp, but decided to use the steps instead to get that practice in. On the last trip I looked at those steps and said nope and strolled up the ramp. There will be other days to get that practice. Hoping the weather stays this nice from here on out. I had been going out on the porch in the afternoon when it was in full sun. It was just too cool at other times of the day. Today was nice.
 
Had my first post op appointment today to get my staples out. Have to say that I am more confused now than I have been at any point during all of this. My Dr came in and read back over his notes from the surgery to refresh his own mind on my case. Then he looks up and says "oh yes, I remember you, you were just full of surprises". I asked him what he meant by that. He said I was one of the more difficult cases he had seen since he had been in this area. He went in intending to leave the existing hardware in place and go from there. He actually ended up removing hardware and adding more. Yes, I have 2 more bright shiny pins than what I started with. I was just like that can't be all that surprising. He said no, it wasn't, that the surprising part was that he went in expecting that the head of my femur was chipped as the other physicians notes had said. But when he got in there it wasn't chipped, I just only had half a ball, and that's why I had the issues with dislocation. I was so surprised that I forgot to ask many questions about it. He still has me on 50% weight bearing for another 4 weeks. Says he wants to make sure that my acetabulum is fully healed so that the cup portion will stay in place correctly.

It was only once I left that I thought of all kinds of questions about the half a ball thing. #1 question: Didn't the x-rays show that? Or the ct scan? #2 Why didn't the first surgeon notice that? He after all had an up close and personal look at it and he never mentioned it. #3 If my ball wasn't whole then why did the first surgeon waste time doing the second surgery instead of automatically referring me for a THR? #4 What ever happened to the other half of that ball? Did I just always have half a ball? Did it break during the accident and maybe there is half a ball floating around somewhere in my insides? What in the world? Any one else had this experience?
 
How strange! I don't remember what led you to THR....trauma I think, but walking on bone-on-bone joints can wear away joint structure. Surely an X-ray would show much of that? But my doc took X-rays from only 2 positions. Maybe he couldn't see the back of the ball from the x-Ray positions? Weird...

why don't you just send an email or call the office with your questions? He might not have realized how confusing that statement was. My surgeon used the term 1/2 of a cup to explain a shallow joint....

My 2nd surgeon was far better at explaining the way bone structures of dysplasia destroyed my joints. Basically, shallow joint + irregularities in the shape of the ball= cartlidge annialation. Like driving on unbalanced tires for 40 years....just wears the tread unevenly. It was an aha- :idea: after 10 years of pain!

I think it would be awesome to just list all of those ???? above.....'please explain'....and press send. Sometimes the medical lingo is baffling.
 
Interesting that this rather significant tidbit wasn't discovered earlier.

Although I Keep expecting my OS to come out and tell me that I have a "square and socket joint" instead of a ball and socket and that is why my hip has caused so much trouble.
 
How strange! I don't remember what led you to THR....trauma I think, but walking on bone-on-bone joints can wear away joint structure. Surely an X-ray would show much of that? But my doc took X-rays from only 2 positions. Maybe he couldn't see the back of the ball from the x-Ray positions? Weird...

why don't you just send an email or call the office with your questions? He might not have realized how confusing that statement was. My surgeon used the term 1/2 of a cup to explain a shallow joint....

My 2nd surgeon was far better at explaining the way bone structures of dysplasia destroyed my joints. Basically, shallow joint + irregularities in the shape of the ball= cartlidge annialation. Like driving on unbalanced tires for 40 years....just wears the tread unevenly. It was an aha- :idea: after 10 years of pain!

I think it would be awesome to just list all of those ???? above.....'please explain'....and press send. Sometimes the medical lingo is baffling.

My surgeon doesn't seem to have email. I could call the office and speak with his nurse, but I have a feeling he would put me off until my next visit. He is very cautious in anything he says about his colleague who was my first surgeon. Like when I was first referred to him and he said he was putting off my THR until my incision was fully healed from both surgeries. When I asked him well what was the point of the second surgery anyway, he just deferred to the fact that Dr Skank was an excellent trauma surgeon without making any real comment about it. My feeling is that this should have been known at some point. I had xrays and ct scans on the day of the accident, as well as numerous xrays since then and another ct. The technician after the last CT even made the comment "your hip is just a great big mess". There should have been no surprises by the time my THR surgeon got to me.

On another note: I had planned to transfer my care to another OS in another town who had more experience in younger patients. I requested my records from the first OS office and they were sent. But they opted not to send my xrays or scans from this whole process. They said it was office policy to decide on a case by case basis as to when the whole chart was sent and when to only send the written part. I also heard from my current OS that he never got to see any of my CT scans when my care was transferred to him. Makes me wonder what those films and scans showed that no one told me about.

Interesting that this rather significant tidbit wasn't discovered earlier.

Although I Keep expecting my OS to come out and tell me that I have a "square and socket joint" instead of a ball and socket and that is why my hip has caused so much trouble.

I have actually heard from some of my rehab patients that before the surgery their hip often felt like a square peg in a round hole.
 
Tomorrow makes 3 weeks out.

I am still walking with my walker as I am still only 50% weight bearing. I finally got tired of just walking around the house and actually started working on the chores that I haven't had to do for a few months. Yesterday instead of just going to the kitchen and fixing a sandwich or grabbing a soda, I stayed in there and washed a sink full of dishes. I did not put them up though, figured someone else could handle the part of taking the dishes out of the drainer and to the dining room cabinet. I also washed and dried 2 loads of clothes. Someone else had to take them out of the dryer for me, and I folded while sitting in my chair rather than over the dryer like I used to. I do love the smell of clothes fresh from the dryer.

My pain is very well controlled with Tylenol during the daytime. I still take the oxycodone at bedtime to help me relax and sleep. I do wake up at about 2 every morning in pain and have to take another pain pill then. My thigh hurts when I wake up like that and I alternate between lying down and sitting with my feet on the floor until it passes. The pain reminds me of growing pains. Everyone says that growing pains are not real, but as a person who grew 11 inches in less than a year in my early teens I can tell you they are very real.

I have not actually slept in a bed yet. But did go lay on my bed during the day and was able to be reasonably comfortable laying on my left side with a pillow between my legs for a couple of hours while I read. I was also able to move on my own to that side, after months of feeling like a turtle flipped over on its back.

I am supposed to be starting outpatient PT Monday for 3 times a week. I am going to discuss with them the possibility of maybe putting those visits off until I am completely weight bearing in another month. I feel that I would benefit more from it then. I can do the regular exercises at home, the ones that do not cause pain, and then go in once I am fully weight bearing. My insurance is only going to cover so much PT and I would rather use it then. That will give me the chance to see what I am capable of and what I need to work on before going back to work.

My incision looks good, although it does have that feeling I have heard others talk about where it feels like there is a wadded towel in there or something. Hoping that it soon passes.

Overall I feel much better than before the surgery. Just feel like I am at a stand still because of the weight bearing restrictions.
 
I don't think it's a standstill. You're still healing inside and getting stronger.

:yes!:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom