Guest viewing is limited

THR Complex THR....has anyone else been through this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bellaroma Wow Beth, that's fantastic so soon after your last surgery. At five months I haven't got past 8700 yet. And that made me really tired. I do find I am sleeping better, which is a plus.
 
Hi Vida, C Mac and Anniepops,
I have just read this thread from start to finish and it was just the tonic I needed. To have such great motivation from other CHD hippies through all,your posts over the past twelve months....particularly all the exercise has bucked me up.
I'm struggling a bit over the last couple of days. In my head I know I am making progress but in my heart it's a bit overwhelming. Trying to get the meds right while attempting to wean off, frustration with just how little independence I have...house bound mostly, exhausted but bored, insomnia... And so it goes.
Tomorrow I am going to get a clean sheet of paper and list all the little improvements post op!
You are my official motivators now so I feel a bit of positivity returning! :flwrysmile:
 
Maeve Thanks so much. You are right about the motivation that comes from supportive Bonesmart members. I don't know what I would have done without it. Since having this surgery I have met quite a few people socially who have had knee or hip replacements and have not done anywhere near as well as I have. I can only conclude its because they all pushed it, way too much, way too soon. One woman told me at a function yesterday that she was out dancing at a wedding, in pain mind you, after only 4 weeks! She had no decent pain control and her physio told her she had to push through pain to increase her ROM right after surgery. Working through pain seems to be a very common misconception out there. You can see I've been discouraged at times, its a normal process. And because I've had previous major hip ops, I should know better than most what to expect. But it's easy to forget, because THR is so common, how invasive this surgery really is and that it takes a major toll on the body. Four weeks is very early in the scheme of things. I keep telling people that after reaching six weeks, and removal of restrictions, my breakthroughs seemed to happen every two weeks. Plus there was a major shift at around 4 months-- everything got easier, there was little or no discomfort and I could forget about the surgery altogether. Now I'm focusing on my knee problem, which took a backseat prior to my THR! Its rather a miracle.

I sincerely hope you progress in the same way. Stay positive, don't worry if the blues hit, they come and go for months, and try and recover as gently as you can. (I am fortunate in that I didn't have to rush back to work.) You can correct your pelvis by focusing on your gait as I did and by improving your ROM on a stationary bike or in the pool. Alex's exercise suggestions have also been wonderful. If I couldn't do them without pain, I just waited until I could. Now that I'm stronger and the hip feels more secure, I am able to comfortably do some strength training at the gym. There are times I thought I would never get here, but with patience, I did!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Complex THR....has  anyone else been through this?
What a great and uplifting update, Vida!! It's always wonderful when a fellow BoneSmartie reaches that point that they know it was all worthwhile and that enjoying life is real again.


Sorry you have a knee to deal with now---but I've been there---got both knees done 11 months after right hip. And life is truly good!

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Complex THR....has  anyone else been through this?
 
Maeve yes Fran, Vickis thread is a great read, very positive and inspiring. It helps immensly to be able to follow someone elses recovery especially when they are in a similar position to ourselves. We all have been through the down periods and came out the other end happy with our surgery results as you will be too I am sure. :)

Vicki, it's great to hear you are feeling stronger, how is the walking going, still achieving those 10000 steps? And what about the dreaded clamshells....Alex has put a link to a great informative site about them on Cardies thread.I am sure they have helped with my inner thigh tightness now I have got my motivation back and am doing them religiously every evening again. And now I know they are the best thing for the glutes I am determined to keep going. I will have a tight bum by the summer.lol.

Take care of you

Big hugs

Ann.x.
 
Anniepops You are so sweet! I am still stuck at 8900.... but as C Mac Cardie and alexthecat Alex have said, I am pleased to be doing this well and am not stressing about unrealistic numbers. The clamshells are still a chore: I can only do about 8 before things start to hurt. I am committed to not suffering any more than I have to. Other than that, I can only just touch my fingertips to the ground with my legs straight so I also have a lot of stretching work to do. Oh yes, I am able to lie on my back, feet together and spread my legs wider than ever before.. I'm getting closer to the floor every week! Now, I realise that might sound a bit rude to people who have not had hip replacement. But you know what I mean!

Its hard to believe it was six months yesterday that I had the surgery -- I still consider myself in the early stages of recovery. I have a durolane injection in the knee planned for the 14th and tomorrow my husband is having wrist surgery so I get to play nurse. I think this is what happens when you age, you get to take turns caring for each other as your bits rust out.

Keep in touch, I'll bop in and out of your thread now and again to check on your progress. You guys are important to me. xxx
 
8900 is more steps than lots of people take in a day. It's still an impressive amount, IMO.

Did you read the article I linked to in Cardie's thread? It might help you find a better exercise. If clamshells are painful, they may not be the best choice for you right now. There are lots of other exercises though.
 
alexthecat No, I missed that. Will check Cardie's thread tonight. Thanks for the heads up! And for the morale boost.
 
alexthecat I'm going to re-post your great exercise suggestions here for other people to look at, in case they missed them in Cardie's thread. I am going to give the reverse clam shells a try ASAP, some of the others may bother my bad knee but I'll cherry pick as you suggest. Like Ann, I want thighs that don't have a dent in the middle and a much tight(er) bum.

https://www.running-physio.com/glutemed/
 
That's cool, but I'm going to re-post my disclaimer that the link is from a site for runners and not everything there is appropriate for THR patients.

If I could recommend a strategy ... pick two exercises from that list to work on. A month from now, pick two different exercises and do those instead. Exercises are more effective if you keep switching them up. I think Anniepops does that, but I'm not sure if it's a deliberate strategy.
 
I am still stuck at 8900....

Hi Vicki,

Well, I am going to aspire to get stuck at 8900 steps. That is more than twice what I get in a day and that is counting a walk (which apparently is very short) and a couple of errands then the usual milling about in the house and yard. YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!! :thumb:

On the clams, and I'll ask alexthecat for the professional input -- maybe some of why they are a challenge has to do with the trochanteric fracture and continuing healing of that bone and adaptation of the muscles that insert there. If you scroll half way down this article there is a graphic of the point of insertion of each of the gluteal muscles -- the graphic was copyright, so I couldn't include it directly. I didn't read the article, either, not enough brain power...

Take care,
Cardie
 
C Mac Thanks Cardie. I have only achieved that height a couple of times, mostly I am at 5500 in a normal day. I have lost the pedometer, maybe I put it through the wash, who knows. So unless it turns up, it might be the end of that and it might be a good thing. I am seeing my OS next week about my knee, so I will ask him what he meant when he said my abductors were 'tenuous' when he went in. Maybe I don't have any! Wouldn't that be a laugh, all those attempts at clam shells for nought. I will inquire as to whether I can realistically improve the bits that are left. Perhaps that is why he seemed (wrongly) convinced I would always have a limp.
 
Alex alexthecat...you're spot on, I didn't realise it until you said it but I don't consciously change my exercise routines it just kinda happens. It seems to be working for me so I will continue to mix it up month by month. I suppose that way we don't get bored with the same old routine. The hula hoop is back on the scene and my waist feels a bit battered again but that soon goes asthendays go on.

Vicki, it really is just going with what works for us. We shall give ourselves say, three months and then post pics of our very pert bottoms to show our dedication to the cause. I shall be polite and let you go first with the photos :heehee:

Hope your hubbys wrist surgery went well, I am sure you are the best of nurses and are looking after him exceptionally well.

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Fabulous advice, links, and everything! Thanks to all involved. Vida maybe your abductors didn't quite make the "beam me up, Scottie" connection, and so are tenuously lost in hyperspace! :heehee:
 
Hi Vicki,

Well, your 5500 steps is still more than me and that's great!! :thumb: Sorry about the lost pedo, they ought to give us those when we go for our follow-up visits with the OS once we are further out from our surgery.

Let us know how your OS appointment goes and the feedback on your abductors. Maybe he means they have some scar tissue because of the previous surgeries and this would impact their function/strength.

Nice that you have no limp!!!
Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi everyone.

Today I saw my OS and had a Durolane shot in the knee. He claims it is effective in 70 percent of his patients with severe arthritis in one compartment. It didn't hurt at all -- although he suggested it will once the freezing wears off. He says most patients get 6-9 months relief, then do it again several times before opting for the knife. I hope that's me: I'd like to put a PKR off for a year or so and do some traveling. I asked about the abductors: apparently all my surgeries have left me with very little useful lateral musculature. Wish I had known that before, I could have saved myself some effort and pain. As Popeye says: " I yam wot I yam!" He advised that whatever I've been doing up to now (all the clenching, cracking, heel-toe, tum in, butt and boobs out that you guys have advised) has left me walking way better than he expected, so there's no need to worry about making impossible improvements. Woohoo....no more clam shells! Once my knee is (hopefully) under control I can get back to the gym and focus on strengthening my quads and other bits.

Honestly, I still get rather choked up every time I see this nice young guy who has done so much for me. I can't ever remember my hip ever being completely pain-free: it was always nagging, even at its best, and just deteriorated into misery over the years. Being able to walk, sit and turn over in bed at night in complete comfort is an absolutely fantastic feeling.

Wishing the same for all you wonderful people out there who have been so supportive of me since I arrived here back in November. Vicki xx
 
sharonslp Aw thanks.

Not my best day. The freezing wore off after my shot, only to leave behind excruciating pain. It is vile...had to break out the crutches and hunt down my few 'rainy day' percocets. Hope it's true that this disappears after 48 hours. If this is what it's like to have knee surgery, I can't say I am looking forward to it.
 
That's no good Vicki! Hope it settles down and you get the pain relief expected.
 
Hi Vicki,

How are you feeling now? I hope the knee pain has settled down.

Great news that you impressed your OS with your progress on the walking in spite of the scared muscles and how nice that you've been released from the dreaded clams!!

Have a nice weekend,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom