THR Complex THR....has anyone else been through this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C Mac Thanks Cardie. Finally the knee pain has settled to the level of discomfort I expected! I have a bit of bone that floats in that knee, rarely visible on x ray......I think that had to have become stuck somewhere when the pressure in my knee went up after the shot. I finally bought one of those ice machines and boy did it help. Wish I had lashed out before having the THR, I think it would have made all the difference. I plan to get back to the bike and walking again tomorrow, taking four days off doesn't sit well these days. How are things with you?
 
Fabulous news that your OS is delighted with your walking Vicki, what a result eh, it just shows thise boring little routines we follow whilst walking can make a huge difference to the final outcome....so happy for you :)

Big bummer about the knee pain after the shot, fingers crossed that it settles down nicely and you get a good long run of no pain.

I know what you mean about taking a few days out from exercising making a difference. I am exactly the same, I guess it keeps us motivated, knowing that doing just a little will be worth it and the fact that we can actually now do these things is just brilliant anyway. I just have to keep reminding myself of this when I can't be bothered to do anything.lol.

Take care

Ann.
 
Anniepops Hi there! So nice to hear from you Ann. Have you started at the shop yet? How is your bum...getting perky and ready for the photo? I am working hard on mine. Don't you go on an exotic vacation sometime soon? Guess you'll have to strip off on the beach and show off your scar. I don't have to do that until Mexico in December and frankly, I am more upset about my wobbly arms. How is that lovely family of yours, and the dog? Have you traded your wellies in for sneakers or are you still having rain?
 
Hi Vicki, how's it going? The ice machine sounds like a godsend, pleased that is giving you plenty of relief, hopefully that knee can hold out for quite a while yet.

Not sure about the perky bum quite yet but I am still working on it. Start at the shop beginning of June and I'm really looking forward to it. Holiday not until July so plenty of time to get my wobbly bits a bit less wobbly....I know what you mean about the arms, mine arn't ideal by a long shot....it's just that age thing isn't it. Done some mowing of the lawn today, the grass was quite long due to all the rain we have had so I thing my arms will be aching in the morning as it was hard work pushing through the long grass. I just kept in mind I was having a great all over body workout.....gotta look on the bright side :)

Are you back on the bike yet? What about a normal bike, do you have one to ride outside? I have had a go of the lads' bikes but they don't feel comfortable so my friend is giving me her old girly one. Looking forward to getting out on that. Thinking of attaching a dog to each handlebar..by their lead of course.hehe...kill two birds with one stone but they are so daft likely they will pull me off it.

Hope you are feeling tickety boo Vicki, Mexico will be here before you know it the speed at which is year is whizzing along.

Take care my friend :friends:

Ann.x.
 
Hi Honorary Diane! How's your knee this week, I hope it's feeling a bit better.
 
Josephine Hi there Josephine, hope all is well with you. This site has been such a godsend. Thank you for all that you do.

I do have a quick question for you. I am very happy with my recovery, things have gone very smoothly since the five month mark. However, three weeks ago I had a back ache on one side and thought it was a pulled muscle due to a new exercise I was shown at the gym. (Didn't do it again!) I even went for a couple of massages to try and get rid of it. The other day I realised it had moved to my flank and so might be something else. Turns out I have a raging kidney infection. It isn't very pleasant, the pain has increased. I will have an ultrasound if the 10-day course of Cipro doesn't get rid of it. I didn't even think to mention my hip replacement to the clinic doctor but I note that kidney infections can cause trouble. Do you think Cipro is strong enough? Any suggestions? Is it something I need to raise with my OS?
 
I'm so sorry that you have a kidney infection, Vida. I hope you're feeling better soon. :)
 
alexthecat Thanks. I seem to get felled by a series of small stuff, from eye infections to inexplicable ugly rashes!! Now this. On the plus side, I don't have any hip or knee pain.... Hope all is well with you.

Josephine from https://www.jointreconstruction.com which is clearly out of date.
"Joint infection has been reported years after a hip replacement, and appears to be related to the ability of the implants, in general, to harbour bacteria transported by the blood stream from other sites in the body. Bladder or kidney infections are the most common source of these delayed infections........"
Thanks for putting me straight.
 
Well, that announcement from the AAOS and the DSA was only issued a very few months ago so it stands to reason that it's going to take some time for it to filter down through the ranks, so to speak! And then there will be those die-hards who won't want to believe or accept it. You know, the types that are scared of being sued!
 
Hi Vida

Hope you are feeling better and glad to hear that the hip and knee are behaving!! :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Vida
Hi Vicki
I hope you have recovered from urinary infection by now?
I'm glad that both your hip and knee are good.
You had cortisone injected at your knee a while ago, correct?
I also have a knee pain and freaking out as knee problem is something that I havent had experience before and have had so much with the hips!!!
Keep in touch and take care
Selin
 
sansabosa Hi Selin, so good to hear from you! I am much better thank you. My GP did follow up tests and now does not think I ever had a kidney infection. He believes the clinic was wrong, which is annoying because I took antibiotics for 10 days and could not drink any alcohol! He says its a back spasm, so sent me to a chiropractor. I think it is helping but am not really sure. I just hoped to get some relief as we leave shortly for 3 weeks for Europe.

Sorry to hear about your knee. I had a durolane shot in the knee in early May, which was very painful for a few days afterwards, but has since proved to be quite the miracle cure. I keep making appointments with my OS for 2 months ahead, just in case I need another one. Then I cancel if everything is going well. So far, so good. At this rate, I hope to put off having a knee replacement until 2015. My husband needs foot surgery next year.. it is his turn to be nursed!

As my result with durolane has been so good, I would certainly recommend that you give it a try, if your OS thinks it appropriate. It doesn't seem to work for everyone and will stop working at some point. And despite the high price, (here in Canada $350) I figure I am worth it.

I will stay in touch, hopefully we will one day be in the same city at the same time. xx
 
Hello there Vicki :)

Sorry to hear about the 'not' kidney infection..disgraceful that you were deprived of alcohol for a whole 10 days :hissy: and took antibiotics unnecessarily.

Fingers crossed things have improved greatly by the time your holiday comes around

Hope you have a fantastic trip to Europe.

Take care

Ann.xxx
 
Hi Vicki,

I hope your back is better and that you have a wonderful time on vacation!!

Take pictures if you connect with any of our European Hip Buddies while you are over there :)

Glad to hear that the Durolane shot helped and your knee is doing well.
Take care,
Cardie
 
I hope all my lovely Bonesmart friends are doing well. I will always be so grateful for the help you gave me during my recovery. I am almost at the two year mark and until now have been ecstatic with my new hip. It is wonderful to have a pain-free joint for the first time in my life. My OS is thrilled with my progress, he says I am a poster girl for complex thr's.

Here's what brings me back. For the last two weeks I have noticed a growing discomfort in my groin and down the front of my thigh to the knee, combined with the sensation that the hip is just not as stable as it once was. I have tried not to panic ....... I can still walk through it but I just don't feel as strong as I did before. It's not excruciating, which is what I would expect if something was structurally wrong, so I have tried treating myself as Josephine advises for iliopsoas issues. However, I really don't think that is the problem. I have wracked my brains but can't recall doing anything out of the ordinary.

I have an appointment in a few weeks with the surgeon to get a Durolane shot in the knee, so I can bring it up with him then. I was wondering, should I call the office beforehand and ask him to send me for an x ray of the hip, just to be sure? Does plain film show enough, or should I pay privately for an MRI? The wait for such tests is fairly long in our public system. Any advice is appreciated.
 
Hi Vicki! I have just caught up on your thread, I don't seem to have had alerts until I checked in again today. I'm not around much these days, but I like to come by and see how my Bonesmart friends are doing.

How are you after your post a couple of weeks ago? Have you seen the surgeon yet? I hope all is well, and it is something minor that is bothering you.

It's great to hear how you are doing, and I'm pleased the shots are working for your knee.
 
Well hello there Octopus! How are you? Do update me on your recovery.

I have the best surgeon. I was in his office with my husband, who is waiting for surgery with his partner, when he popped out and started to chat. I mentioned this issue and he told me to come to his next hospital clinic two days later and he would order an x-ray. So I did and the implant looks perfect, which is a big relief. So, its muscular and something I must stretch out and if necessary, seek physio help. I assume we all have these moments when we wonder if the implant is failing...... but fortunately for me, all is well.
 
Oh that is good news. I am doing well, about eighteen months along I think. I still have a weak and sometimes painful muscle in my backside which refuses to get with the programme. A bit frustrating but I'm otherwise delighted with the pain free life I can now lead. My job has been made redundant, so I haven't worked for about three months now, but although scary it's been good to have a break. I've been kept busy doing the badly neglected garden and odd jobs around the house like painting the bathroom ceilings! So thankful I can now do these things. Off to the Osteo after the weekend to have the protesting muscles dealt to, again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom