Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Complex hip- MİSSİON ACCOMPLİSHED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi hippies,
Today, (@post op 4 wks) it was my first day at work, physically.
Stayed for nearly 4 hours and left the office with the need to go home and lie down.
Take home message: 2-3 hours to start with is enough...as you also exert physical energy to dress up, commute etc...
The good part: İ can focus and concentrate which was not the case 2 weeks ago.
Life is starting to get back to normal.
Hope spring to come as well.
 
Selin,

Glad you are doing so well and back to work. I still drag in the afternoons around 4 pm and try to lie down.
Luckily I have a short commute and my work attire is casual!.

I agree about the concentration part. In the beginning I had a hard time reading or watching a movie for an extended period but that has changed and I am feeling more normal regarding concetration.

I am hoping spring is around the corner here too. We had snow the other day - I'm not sure what the groundhog saw but it's still winter here!!

I hope you have a great weekend.

MJ
 
Hi Selin

Going back to work is another milestone. You are doing really well. Thanks for your updates, t's good to know about the 2-3 hours.

Best wishes
Diane
 
Thank you girls mjmrphy55, octopus, BarbaraR

Regarding the work part, i still think it needs to be slowly and surely. The sense of feeling drained out is a reality that we can not help much other than being patient.

İll try 3 hours on monday and see how i"ll feel. İ have a congress at the end of next week in another town, just 1 hours flight. Not imperative but would be good to show presence at least for 1 day. My mind will be there anyway. İ will be post op 5 weeks by then. İ am allowed by the OS to fly short distance. However i am so anxious whether i can make it since i have to present a professional image and i still need assistance to pull out my socks and wonder i can manage a night alone at the hotel room. Well, got 5 more days to think about it:-)

My first visit to OS is at the end of 6weeks which is the 6th of april
 
Its 4.5 weeks post op and today it was my 2nd day at work.
I was at the office for 4 hours with the intention of 3 only. It worked well mentally and physically as well. I fixed my phone alarm every hour so that I would get up and make a short walking tour.

We stopped our PT exercises with the lady who comes home. She said that I am now capable of doing the routine by myself. I was looking forward to start the indoor pool but I still have a minor point at the upper end of my scar that has not healed fully; thus can not get into the pool for the risk of infection yet .
 
Sorry about your scar Selin, that's annoying. Sound like you are doing extremely well....four hours at work, that's fantastic. I am sure it was a big psychological boost for you to be able to work again and feel normal. How is your walking?
 
Hi Selin. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience about going back to the office. That one hour flight sounds optimistic to me - it's also getting to and from airports, clearing security, lots of standing around, etc, which sound exhausting to me.

I'm hoping to be signed off by my OS next Wednesday, so am anticipating going in Wed to Fri next week, then I'm planning a week off for the school holidays. Even though I've been working from home for the past two and a half weeks I have no doubt that it will feel entirely different, and am slightly dreading it. I think what will be key for me is managing other people's expectations (no, I'm not going to have a quick meeting with you now as it'll mean missing my train, etc). Knowing what time trains I can comfortably get, and sticking to those.
 
Vida
Hi Vicki,
Indeed it has been a boost going back to work though I'm taking it easy and slowly.
The scar, overall has healed actually and looks pretty good but the tip of the incision, an area of less than 1/2 cm, still does not look fully covered and I'm kind of precautious. A couple of more days will do fine.
My PT mentioned the week before that my ''endurance'' was low and that I needed to walk outside of home in fresh air as I was getting easily tired during the exercises we do together. I wailked outside in a park on the weekend for 15 minutes and got tired and sweat after 5 minutes. Menapouse is also another recent condition.The problem that I faced afterwards was I started to have pain on my knee on the unoperated side which I had forgotten since the operation. It kind of depressed me and thats the reason why I was so eager to start swimming.
Regarding the walk, my posture is much much better compared to how I was before the operation. I am now with a cane and can walk properly with it but limp if I walk unassisted. Still need more time and need to maintain the strength in the gluteus muscles in order not to limp...
 
Good job, Selin. Sounds like you are solidly moving towards normalcy in your life. I too am looking to get back into the pool and may try that next week. I hope no one gets frightened by my scar (it's looking good, but to the non-hippie it may look scary) Menopause is no fun, I went through this in my 40's due to a hysterectomy, but it's so good afterwards!
 
The scar is the least of my worries when thinking about getting into a pool these days... I'm afraid that my gradually diminishing ability to exercise before my op, and my increase in comfort eating, means that I need a swimming costume with built in scaffolding.
 
sansabosa, Hi Selin, I'm wondering if you decided to go to the meeting at the end of this week. I also have an out of town meeting next week, also about an hour's flight, and I'm planning to go. I hope you're starting to get your energy back-- I am finding that most challenging, and am going to cut back to 4 days a week so I'll have an extra day to exercise and to rest.
 
Selin, so sorry about the incision issue, hopefully it will settle down soon. You have been though so much, you deserve to put this behind you as soon as possible. I empathize about the knee, obviously, as I am going through the same thing. It makes sense that the opposite knee would give out after being abused for so long. Two doctors in the same practice I visit can't agree on the cortisone vs durolane debate. Neither use synvisc... one said durolane works in 50 percent of cases, so give it a try... the other says don't bother with durolane... stick to cortisone. One or other is probably worth a shot. (Pardon the pun.) As Scarlett O'Hara famously said (I believe) "I will think about it tomorrow." If I could buy myself some time with either, it would be a good thing.. I am not ready for more surgery just yet.

Remember to crack the walnut between your buttocks, it really worked to strengthen my glutes and improve my gait.
 
Hi...returning to work at 4.5 weeks postop. Is impressive ...do you need to take with you the mobile ice packs? Or can you cope without.
My OS. Said it could take 12 weeks before returning to work!...but 12 weeks would be a terrible boring time :(
 
clifford149, I went back to work at 4 weeks and it was too soon. I was exhausted. I toughed it out for a couple of weeks, but my schedule has lightened a little so I'm cutting back to 4 days a week for a few weeks. I do have an ice pack at work and a place where I can lie down in the middle of the day. Stock up on movies and books so you don't get too bored. (Although I still find that I don't have a lot of concentration for reading).
 
Selin....I'm so exited.. bought a new swimsuit. The water will be so relaxing. And I'm not quite ready for step aerobics yet. Lol
 
BarbaraR.....sounds like you have a good regime the good thing about returning to work I guess is gaining the sense of normality which must play a positive role for recovery :)
 
clifford149
Hi there,
İ hope you are progressing pretty well too
Yes i did started to go to work since last friday ( post op 4 wks) but i am at the office just for 3-4 hours and i dont rush to be there early in the morning. Just go when my energy is high.
İts again listening to your body...
Prior to the operation, we also rented a very small flat at the residence just next to the plaza where i work for a period of 6 months. Thus i dont need to commute. The 2 buildings are connected. İf i feel tired i just walk back to the recidence and rest. The residence also has some rehab facilities (indoor pool)that will help me in the recovery. Thus going to work for 3 -4 hours brings me back to life.
 
BarbaraR
Hi dear
İ decided today to attend the important meeting we have in a city 1 hour by flight
İts an important congress that i need to show up. İts this weekend and im now post op 5 weeks and feel strong enough to make it.
But i have taken full fledge precautions and safety measures...
Transport to the airport is arranged, wont tire up myself
Will stay for 1 night and return. My hubby said he can come with me to be by my side but i replied to him that i can manage. The only thing that i need is the device that i take with me to wear the socks on the operated leg.
İ have my assistant who may help me if i need anything as well.
Will let you know how it goes
Wish me luck
Take care
Selin
 
Vida
Hi Vicki
Re the different views of the 2 doctors, i was not surprised at all
At the end did you had an injection on your knee? İf yes which one? Cortisone or hyalorunic acid? (İ assume duralane and synvisc are the same stuff (hyalorunic acid) stuff with different names.
İ had hyalorunic acid injection on my other knee during the surgery of the hip but i cant say it is a radical solution.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom