Guest viewing is limited

THR Completed on June 14, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
You go girl, You are an inspiration with your dedication to finding ways to do things while early in recovery ( upper body yoga) cathy
 
Quite apart from all that, you are not even two weeks out! For pity's sake give your body a chance to recover before you start expecting so much from it! It could be another 4 weeks or even more before you can do a side lift in a side position.

Hi Elle,

I definitely agree with what Jo tells you about the side lying leg lift -- do give yourself more time on that movement, it will come about!! If you've been told to do the standing version, stick with it for now. Wonderful that you are able to lift your leg up to 90 degrees -- without using your hands, isn't it!!!:yes!: And good job on getting your pants up without the cane, I'm sure that brought a smile to your face as well.

When I transitioned from the prescription pain medications I went to acetaminophen full strength around the clock as prescribed on the bottle with success. You've probably already figured out what to do about your medication transition by now.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Oh, thank you bottomshollow for your encouragement! My goodness, that is a gorgeous kitty on your computer! I am sure s/he was trying to set the controls for automatic feeding every hour!

Thanks, VThereandnow. I guess I better do something I love, since I see I ain't getting on my bike anytime in the next few weeks from what I gleemed from you!

Oh, yes, @CMac @C_Mac, I am pretty good at following directions, so, no prone side leg lifts for a bit. I will take a note of the acetaminophen. I went off one pain killer yesterday (Ultracet). Was up a dozen times with a bit of pain, but fell back to sleep. It is hard for me to complain/judge too much, as I was lucky to get 20 minutes straight before THR and would stick a cloth in my mouth to try to stop from crying out. It's like the difference between a mosquito bite and a crocodile biting off your leg. Had zero pain during the day, so observing the situation. I live in Asia where we can basically get any drug we want without a perscription, so I am not too worried. (Although being a raw garlic eater, don't usually need much of anything.) THank you for your input, Cardie!
 
Hi Elle,

I wouldn't suggest going *off* pain medication completely, but using a phased approach of transitioning from the Ultracet onto something else (like the acetaminophen). You want to continue to keep your pain under control and gradually experiment with changes to see how it works. If you find that you are experiencing pain use something for it -- don't allow yourself to "be up a dozen times" with pain. No more biting the cloth to stave off crying out -- stay ahead of the pain with options available prescription or over-the-counter.

Here's the library thread with the pain "cocktail" often suggested here on the forum

Jamie[/USER]; why do I keep getting these weird media links when I try to post a hyperlink -- what am I don't wrong... (sorry Elle, Jamie will fix my link I'm sure).

Hope this helps,
Cardie
 
Cardie, I don't know why that is happening to you. When you want to insert a link, be sure you are highlighting the words you will use to create the link, then click on the little "chain link" icon in the tool bar in the post, and paste the "copy shortcut" link information in the box that pops up. It should create the hyperlink for you. You don't want to post the URL directly, as I think you may have been trying to do.
 
Thank you Jamie for both fixing the link and trying to help me...

It seems like a slightly different sequence to get the hyperlink in there with the new forum. I have been pasting the hyperlink in the text box and then highlighting it and then clicking on the "chain link" icon and putting the same hyperlink into the box that pops up and that was when I'd get that weird looking video business once I'd get to the preview of my message.

Ack, sorry Elle for parading my computer illiteracy in your thread :blush:

Have a nice day and try the pain cocktail and let us know the results.... umph, got it!!!

Cardie:)
 
Hey there, C Mac, you are so lovely, you can do whatever you want anywhere! I know what you mean about tech things...I think I have something down and then, I find myself completely bafoozled...like what IS your user name?? Jamie
Thanks, Jamie!

Cardie, CMac, thanks for your drug advice. I did see the cocktail and will use it if necessary. At this moment, my only job is getting well, so not so tragic if I wake up at night.

Yesterday night was unpleasant. I had a full-blown panic attack. I used to get them a couple decades ago but have stilled those waters with yoga/meditation. However, when I was in ICU, I had one again. It was so bad, I had to ask for a vallium. Last night was better, since I was not tied down to a bed. But the feeling of impending death, inability to breathe and racing heartbeat were still so unpleasant, followed by random thoughts of love and loss that made me so emotional. UGH! Than I felt guilty because half the world is in a state that does not have the luxery of panic attacks and wild emotions because they are too busy fighting poverty, injustice and etc...and how amazingly lucky I was to have a fancy surgery in a top class hospital paid for by my insurance company!!! Now even though we all know GUILT is a useless emotion, it can still creep up on us, uninvited and unanounced. Ah.
 
So true Elle... These panic attacks are real though... Good that you can work through them with your yoga and meditation.. Mine comes just before going to a meeting at work... IBS hits me... That's how the panic and anxiety since surgery manifests itself with me these days..

Good that it passed :) hugs xx
 
Elle,

So sorry about your panic attack. You have been through so much...major surgery, major amounts of medications, and even though we are "asleep" for our surgeries our psyches know we have been through a major trauma. So as the healing unfolds I think these panic attacks are our way of releasing some of what we have been through.

I had many sleepless nights due to fear and I was seeing a counselor right before my 2nd THR, then because I couldn't drive I stopped seeing her for a while. I did think of calling and I should have because we shouldn't have to go through this alone. Once I was able to drive and have an appointment she told me that had I called she would have come to my home...there are still caring people in the world! And having 1 appointment helped alleviate my fear a lot.

I have been following your thread and will continue, you are a very brave and insightful soul. I wish you all the best as you continue to heal...:SUNsmile:
 
Thank you, Sandy and dianemarie,

Sandy that is stressing that you got IBS just after surgery. Sorry that meetings do that!

Dianemarie, you are absolutely right on when you say "our psyches know we have been through a trauma". In my yoga tradition, we have ten bodies, so certainly one was up during the performance! If we carry in our beings trauma from our birth -and even before in conception and in the womb, certainly we will remember something from a few weeks ago! Thank you so much for reminding me of this! My lovely osteopath says my body is still carrying the trauma from a car accident I had 30 years ago, so I guess he is going to be even more busy trying to work things out!

I have to go check out your thread, becasue it sounds like your second THR was more traumatic (in terms of pre-op) than your first, but not sure if I read that right. That is a good idea about a counselor. It helps talking to caring , but objective (and trained!) people.
 
Saw my OS yesterday to have the dressings removed. Not sure I why I was worked up about the incision, as it is just that: a healed incision and shockingly small (abt 7cm) for what was done through it. I think this is a good example of me looking at TOO much on the net and seeing some pretty ouchy looking badges of honor. As Josephine said, a miniscule price to pay for the end of bone on bone pain. The incision already dry and I was told to "gently pat" it the next few days and then in a week to massage it daily with whatever I want. It was great to have my first shower, for sure!

I was also told to move from the walker to cane and to walk with a normal gait. Easier said than done (and have been reading that from others), as I have been limping for almost two years. I can see the challenge already in that!

Can swim (but I don't), but was told not to start yoga for three months!! I am sure the dear man was thinking "prezel yoga", as I have been doing sensible yoga for a week already, very mindful of the restrictions. He said "no restrictions" after three months.

Was also told to switch to tylenol if I need it. I am weaning gradually however. Stopped the ultracet a few days ago, stopped the lyrica last night and will let the cellebrex go on for a few more days.

I have such a flood of gratitude for my surgeon, for the people who gave me blood, for the one who designed the new hardware inside me, for the nursing care, for my uncomplaining husband who has been go-pher extrodinaire, and for all the lovely people on this website who have been not only encouraging, but enlightening and who have been so open to sharing both their triumphs and their pain. Wow, talk about blessings!
 
Fantastic Elle, what a great visit with you OS and such a tiny incision, that is wonderful... yes it is amazing what they can do through such a tiny cut. Pleased to hear it is nice and dry and healing over well.

All these little milestones, moving from walker to can, strong drugs to lighter ones... they all add up to slow and steady strong recovery.

And yes, I often get on the web and look at the picture of my prostheses and think what a beautiful piece of art.. :)

much love xx
 
Thank you, Smja for your good wishes, I smied when you said you go to see your prostheses on the web. I just pulled out my xrays and was looking at the implant. Again, such gratitude.

I had a several questions/points of curiosity. I put them in google and found all the old threads from this forum answering them. What a useful place to be! It was intersting to me that the google search seemed to work better than the forum's own search.

The main thing I have learned is that there is such a HUMONGOUS variation among people's experiences (not surprising), as well as surgeon's recommendations (quite surprising...I would expect some, but not like what I have read here!)

I feel like my hip is healing quickly. Zero pain (just occasional discomfort) that does not qualify as pain. I have been walking around the house without my cane and it seems fine, although I use if for anything more than 20 steps and the walker stays at my bed for night "trips". I notice I walk with less limp WITHOUT the cane...and I did check the height was right. I've decided I will see a PT if I can't even out my gait after 3 months. I wonder if I should check sooner?

My biggest disappointment is not being able to sleep. I was HEADY with delight getting my first sleep of more than 20 minutes in more than a year. It was SO GOOD. But sadly, when the pain drugs stopped, so did the sleep. I have tried napping, but I don't fall asleep. However, I must say, it is pleasant waking up 20 times during the night and realizing "I have no pain" and than cuddling back into the pillows. I have been sleeping on my side (with pillows bwteen knees) as soon as I got out of ICU on Day 2. I can lay down on the surgical side as well...another thrill...the osteoarthritis wouldn't allow for that.

Anyways. Life is good and hope it is for others on this forum as well.
 
Elle,

First, congratulations on a positive OS visit. I believe the gratitude you express helps with the healing process.

It took me a long time to get a full night's sleep, but it will come for you. I did a lot of late night carousing and got all my drawers cleaned out, emailed friends and family, wrote out cards, organized closets, etc. and then would lay back down and rest and snooze. And each afternoon, even if I didn't fall asleep, I rested (as per our wise one, Cardie) and that helped also. Deep breathing, relaxing muscles, relaxing music, positive affirmations, it all helps.

Continued good luck with your yoga and healing. You are a beautiful spirit and it comes through in your posts. All the best....
 
Hi Elle,

Great news about having the dressing removed and your first shower!! I'm glad that you are feeling ok about your scar, you'll be surprised a few months from now how much it will have faded. It sounds like you are adjusting well -- to some medication changes and to using the cane more & walker less. The sleep thing is a little crazy early on but hopefully will improve as you get further out from the medication changes. I am a big proponent of naps, they are a good thing!! :)

It sounds like you won't be having any PT unless you want some at a future point. I think it's fine to do your normal activities and see how you feel about your gait in 3 months. If at some point before then you have concerns you can check in with someone a little earlier. You'll know more as time goes on and your activity level increases.

Take care,
Cardie aka C Mac (letter C with a space Mac) :wink:
 
What's the deal with not being able to sleep? Ever since I dropped the prescription pain meds--about a week ago--I'm wide awake at night even though I'm only napping an hour or so during the day. I'm guessing this is kind of common. Does it just take time for sleep patterns to return?
 
Hey there, Lgastreich, yes, it does seem to take some time for sleep patterens to return when the meds go, which is unfortnate. If you were a good sleeper before the operation, hopefully it will return for you. dianemarie has indicated that in her post above, along with some ideas on what to do when awake. Thaanks for that list, Diane, as well as your positive thoughts.

C Mac, thanks for reminding me about the naps. They are wonderful when I can fall asleep during them. Often, I am just up. It must be helpful just to rest, however.

I got the OK to travel tomorrow and I am flying home...yea! Very short trip, so more worried about using the rest room than blood clots! I went briefly (very briefly!) to a mall today to practice car riding (for airport taxi trip) and dealing with a public toilet. Will wear a skirt, definitely, as it is is easier to manage than pants when one has to relieve oneself like a man, standing! Ah, the joys!
 
Ah, semi-disaster. I was pretty confident about my short trip, especially since I had all the bases covered (Thanks to Josephine 's post on traveling.) and had practiced relieving myself "like a man". The airport in Bangkok is huge and, athough feeing "text-book" great, I was not taking any chances. Well, wheelchair comes. I am happy, but not paying attention (Rule #1: Focus) and sit down. The chair is so low, I feel immediate pain and realize I have just done something WRONG! I am whizzed off through passport control and immigration. By now I am dizzy and crying, but trying to hold it together. I am deposited in a small "handicap" room: no toilet or water! LOW chairs again!! My husband is beside himself, as he basically saw a miracle these last three weeks of me suddenly being pain free and beaming 24/7 and now it looks like I am back to pre-op state, limping horribly. Again, thank's to Josephine's article on DISLOCATION, (which I read THREE times already, studying the pictures carefully and the other two in the library as well), I knew it wasn't that or subluxation, so I calmed myself that I did not do that great of damage. But I did know I probably compromised the good heaing that was happening. Fortunately, I had my secret stash of meds and popped a Ultracet. I was fetched from the holding room, put in a wheelchair (just a tad higher) and then the wheelchair man before I could stop him grabbed the foot of operated leg and internally rotated (!!!!) my leg as he lifted it up for the leg left!!! Oh, my goodness. Breathe, breathe, breathe.

The airplane ride fine (first row!). However, when I got off the plane in my little city, what is waiting for me is a wheelchair for someone the size of an 8 year old! I just plopped my carry-on on it and hobbled on my cane to immigration (very small airport, no drama). Better hobbling than sitting too low. My walker went checked luggage and I ws longing for it. (Not allowed to take on plane.)

Getting home ok...but I had 42 steps to deal with. Just crashed (after popping a Lynca...honestly more for sleep than anything, as the Ultracet took the edge off it.)

Woke up and things ache like hell and it took me forever to get down 42 steps to make coffee. I realized a lot of the ache is from the stair walkign which I have not done in three weeks. Hip has intermittant unpleasant sharp pains, most certainly from yesterday's damage. I am so careful to follow my OS's instructions to the letter...and I messed up. That's ok. I have been learning all my life that thinsg are not perfect....and that is perfect! It could have had worse results, but it didn't.

Many things to do, but felt like writing here. I had this rush of gratitude again for Bonesmart forum. What a wonderful therapy it is to go on in ad naseum detail to people around the world who really understand these ups and downs. I think the verbal expression of this healing process is so healing within itself. And I am certainly repeating my new favorite mantra brought to me by C Mac : RECOVER and REST. Planning on at least three naps today!!!

Hugs to all.
 
Hi Elle,

Holy Cow!!! You are amazing, I'd have had someone's head in a vice at some point during that ordeal :tantrum:

I hope you have cozied up to the ice pack(s) in all the sore spots & got your medications all lined up for a bit... Yes, definitely plenty of rest after that trip!! Did I mention that sometimes on the weekend I would just stay in my comfy clothes and lounge through the day -- nap, read, listen to the radio, be on the computer... tiny exercise/stretch routine at the end of the day.

Fantastic that you have the gift of breath, I'm still trying to get that to work well for myself :)

Take care,
Cardie
 
Today is the start of Week 4 and according to Jo's programme, time for 30 minutes of walk a day. Well, I am still recovering from "transport damage" and took two 30 minute rests instead. I am sure C Mac would approve! Your weekend comfy clothes lounge around therapy sounds good for this weekend! It's funny I read your ...."hope you have your medications lined up...as "hope you have your meditations lined up" and said, "That's an interesting way of putting it, but good idea!" and dived into my meditations book (whihc I did not take with me on the operation trip) to see what I could "line up"!

Besides not doing a 30 minute walk, I also ignored my PT sequence and just did gentle breath yoga. This is my first day with so many stairs and I am going up and down them a lot, so I figure that will be my exercise for the day. My stairs have all these twists in them which add to the challenge. Then the cat (who has forgiven my absence with appropriate make-up treats) twists in and out of my legs and the cane, so much care must be given.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom