Guest viewing is limited

THR Completed on June 14, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoga is great. However, in a THR the femur is amputated and the acetabulum reamed out with a power tool. Let things heal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Elizak Smja Oh, Elizak, I absolutely agree: I am no where near doing squats at less than two weeks! I was just suggesting this pose for Sandy who at 7 months post-op found her self suddenly squating down to pick something off the floor. And to be on the safe side, Sandy can just go down a little within comfort range and activate the quads (push out gently on greater trocanters and imagine you are squeezing a pillow between your legs). Yoga should NEVER hurt and one should never push when recovering. Yes, the lifting of the arms is good for the stretch!
Thank you Elizak for looking out for me! xo
 
Elizak, I think she was just showing the squat to Sandy, not intending to do them herself yet. Being at just over 2 weeks myself, I look at that and think "hmmmmm maybe in another month or so!"
 
Ok. In Week 2 and am so giddy from the bone on bone pain being gone, along with the blessing of sleep! Here are two things I noticed and I will ask here before I do search on previous posts:
1. Yesterday I lost feeling in my legs from ankle to below knee. This comes off and on. I first had this about 8 months ago and was diagnosed with herniated discs between 3 &4 and 4 & 5. I used Egoscue's exercises ("Pain Free" by Egoscue) for about two months and that helped. Well, I can't really do those exercises now (although many are quite easy). I know I have this back problem as a result of the hip imbalance. Do I just ignore it?
2. Although I was pleasantly surprised I could suddenly raise my operated leg up to 90 degrees after almost a year of barely getting it up 2 inches, I was dismayed when I tried the PT side leg raises. I cannot raise my operated side up at all! It is like it is a dead weight or the leg does not belong to me!! I got my yoga belt and am raising it (ever so gently!) and hope to "wakes up". Strangely, I am able to bring it up when I am in standing position, but not very far before it hurts.

And unrelated question: do we keep our ramblings and question in our same post-op thread or do we start new threads when we have a new subject...like "Dead leg"??? Which is the politically correct thing to do on the forum? Thanks ! Smja Jamie
 
It sounds like after your initial shaky start you are coming on leaps and bounds - well done! Which kind of yoga do you practice? I'm really missing my vinyassa flow but found that some of the breathing exercises put me in good stead for recovery.
 
Hi Elle

Last question first :) On the Recovery side of the forum, we prefer that we only have one thread running. Usually if there are more from the same member the Mods will merge them. This is for continuity following surgery. But currently I believe there is a tiny problem with the merge function. But happy for you to continue in this recovery thread.

Ah,the heavy leg feeling - that too is pretty normal. I found and I have read many similar posts that around the six week mark it is almost like a magical timeframe and the muscles see to remember that they can now start to function and remember what they used to be able to with ROM (range of movement).. I think the fact that you are supporting the movement with your yoga belt is a good idea.. I used to use the tie belt of my dressing gown.. I figured why stress the muscles too much if they are not ready, just give them a helping hand :)

Back issues are a strange one. Personally I have three prolapsed discs in my lower back and immediately after surgery I noticed the back pain had gone. My OS thought my back was caused by my hip, but sadly no, unless the other hip is causing it.. As far as the numbness, that sounds like nerves not woken up yet either following the surgery.. But best to keep an eye on it.

By the way I practiced that wonderful yoga pose over the weekend and this morning and it felt so good... Thank you so much for the photo... It is my first wake up exercise in the morning now :)
 
Elle, I'm so glad to know you are enjoying that feeling of NOT having bone on bone pain. Sandy is right on target with her response to your questions. Since you had the numbness in your legs prior to surgery and it comes and goes, I do think it's just something to keep an eye on but not worry about. Right now your main job is recovering from your surgery. Easy does it for a while!!!
 
Thank you, Sandy Smja for the forum tech information.

Ok, that is good to know that 6 weeks is a magical number (although I know not set in stone!) This is the number my OS was using as well when I can "try gently" to go past the 90 degree limitation. I am also glad to hear, that you also used an extra help of your tie belt to support your muscles, so it makes me feel I am on the right track.

Yes, our poor spines (and rest of the body as well!) have had so much to deal with our total imbalance brought on by our hips!! Three prolapsed discs. Hmm. That means back and stomach muscles need to be strong to help support that.

Oz is a candy-box full of yoga teachers. As someone who meditates and is a Natural Medicine Practioner, yoga would so support you, especially if you have practiced before. It sounds like you have a demanding job that gives you little time (so, wow, thank you for all the time you put into this forum!!!), but a weekly class and your own daily practice (even starting with a five minute wake-up stretch...glad you found the pic/pose useful) may be doable? The trick is to look into that candy box and make sure you get the teacher that suits you. There is something called Yoga Therapy that is great, as well as Yin Yoga or a basic Iyengar class (yeah! props!) with a a well-trained teacher. If you have any Kundalini Yoga classes in the area, you may find that interesting.

Bondgirl bondgirl, I love ALL yoga and it has pretty much become my life over the years. Yes, Vinyasa Flow is magical...just takes you right to the source of your internal beauty/energy and makes you feel fluid with the universe. Sadly, I have not been able to "flow" for almost two years, so it has become "Hobble Yoga". I am trained in astanga (Mysore style) and hatha. I have taken the astanga standing poses and primary series poses and adjusted them all to my severe arthritis. Jump throughs is what I do in my head! However, I am a trained Kundalini Yoga (as taught by Yogi Bhajan)teacher and that is my main practice. I am crazy about these teachings and they are so easy to adjust for anyone, with lots of focus on meditation and breathing, as you mentioned. I only had to stop teaching about two months ago, as it just took too much energy to go from point A to point B, as well as keep up my beautiful day job.

Here is an inspiring video that I just love of Tao, a 90 year old teacher with a hip replacement. Josephine Josephine has her beautiful Sugar dancer, who I also have looked at a few times for inspiration, but this woman has become my role model. (Especially since I am still approaching my 90s, but have sadly passed 26...hee hee!)
 
2. Although I was pleasantly surprised I could suddenly raise my operated leg up to 90 degrees after almost a year of barely getting it up 2 inches, I was dismayed when I tried the PT side leg raises. I cannot raise my operated side up at all! It is like it is a dead weight or the leg does not belong to me!!
Well, if you think about it logically, it's not at all surprising.

First a few engineering principles: if you want to lift something with a rope or a lever, the longer the leaver, the more leverage you can get. You can't lift a slab of stone with a short lever but you can with a longer, thicker one. And remember that trick you tried when you were a child, trying to hold a broom at arm's length when only holding it at the end of the handle? Almost impossible, wasn't it? Even though you thought the broom was light, when you add your arm and the weight+length, and then add the gravity, it becomes very, very heavy, very very quickly!

With that in mind, read on:
- when you do an SLR laying down, you are using the HUGE, long quads muscle - big lever, easy lift
- when doing side lifts, you are using very short and quite small adductor muscles so
~~~ when you lift your foot to the side when standing, you're not having to fight against gravity all that much. The weight becomes more like a pendulum and it's relatively easy to swing it out to the side
~~~ but when you are laying down on your side and try to lift the leg, you are lifting the WHOLE weight of the leg against gravity. Not just the hip, not just the thigh but the knee, calf and foot as well. And since each leg is approximately 1/3 of your total body weight, that's big ask for those short wee muscles!

Quite apart from all that, you are not even two weeks out! For pity's sake give your body a chance to recover before you start expecting so much from it! It could be another 4 weeks or even more before you can do a side lift in a side position.
 
OK! Hear you, dear Josephine! I was just following the exercises from my PT! I am going very easy and am even elevating and icing when I have no pain and swelling! Josephine

Now I have a question about PAIN RELIEVERS. This is my perscription from Dr (until they run out): Cellebrex 400mg 1X day; Ultracet (37. 5 mg tramadol & 325 mg paracetemol) & 75 mg Lyrica before bed. So I noticed that although I have a week of Cellebrex and Lyrica left, Ultracet runs out tomorrow morning. In another post I read this from Sharon sharonslp "That meant two and a half months of tramadol and tylenol, and a whole summer of Celebrex..." (meaning that was Sharon's drug regime). My doctor told me (when I told him I could not sleep becasue of the pain the first nights in the hospital) that much more pain killers are used in the west than in Asia, but he did finally give me the Lyrica which brought on wonderful pain-free sleep, so I didn't care if I was being culturally insensitive! So, do I ask my husband to go out and but some more Ultracet immediately? See, I am addicted already...not to drugs but not havin pain and being able to sleep!

By the way...I just found Josephine's alphabetized index and it is awesome!
 
Just read your thread. I remember the first week thinking " wow this is going to be worse than I thought" then by the 2nd week I thought " oh this is not as bad as I thought" Things to start changing pretty quickly. I favored the walker myself, and once you start moving around with it well, you'd be surprised how well you can get on with it. Good luck with your transition from the hospital. ...and don't be afraid to take pain meds. There is an article in the library that shows you that it actually helps you heal.

Hopefully you can get an ice pack for home. This will really help you. If you have a freezer, you can make one of your own. Take care, Cathy
 
Eeeh, that's almost like "how long is a piece of string" Elle. Only you know how much pain you get, if you occasionally get spikes after doing too much or something. At two weeks, I would suggest that this period is not over yet and you need to have a few on hand for such occasions. On the other hand, people have made do with just Tylenol (1,000mgs per dose) and Celebrex. It won't be the end of the world if you let yourself run out and see how things go. If you find you're still having spikes, your GP could always write you up for something simpler like codeine phosphate which is perfectly adequate.

Glad you like the index! :wink:
 
Hi Ellie, I was just over on debs thread and I see you were a little wowed by her getting rid of the walker so quick and you still needing it. Big lesson here in bonesmart ( one that I learn over and over :umm: ) is to not compare yourself to another's recovery. I mean, of course we look to others for inspiration or to the articles for recovery timelines but each of us is so different and each of our bodies reacts so different to recovery. Sounds like you are doing just fine. I used the walker form a good chunk of time, but my body did let me know when to start parking it and yours will too.

Looks like everyone above answered your questions so I won't go there except to say my PT did not even have me try side leg lifts at your stage of recovery. You'll get there. Take care and slow and steady wins the race, cathy
 
Also, Elle, My surgery was almost a week before yours! And right now, the thought of transitioning to a cane seems scary! I was reading a new fellow's recovery post, and he was walking the halls the day of his surgery, was home the next morning, cane first week (for "long walks" he said!), and already on to outside PT. I thought I was a little ahead of the curve, but no! And guess what: I am SOOO good with that. We all proceed at our own pace. And thanks, Cathy, it is so NOT a race. To prove that, I think I'll not park my walker in the basement just in case :-)
 
Oh, my gosh, Josephine, this a brilliant article and so glad you added the pictures which works wonders for us visual thinkers!! I should have been aware of these mechanisms myself; which just goes to show you that panic throws good sense out the window! Really SUPER article! Thank you!

VThereandnow and debkakes, thank you for your good comments about going at my own pace. YES. Actually I am quite in love with my walker (the cool things you can hang off it!!!) and I need the confidence it gives me. They tried twice in PT to get me onto crutches and I took an immediate dislike to them. I know myself and they were just a disaster waiitng to happen! I am actually a bit irritated I was given a cane instead of a walker BEFORE my operation. My operated leg was actually much less flexible and more painful then; it would have been such a relief! Thanks for remindign me to check in the library on meds. I am happy to get off them, but only if I feel this amazing lack of pain. YAY!
 
Elle, I hope you read my latest post. I may have been through with the walker, but it wasn't through with ME! It stays by me on the overnight shift :-)
 
Hi Elle

Quick post, bit tired tonight over nine hour days at work at the moment... Crazy times.. Just wanted to mention that I still keep my walker handy in the evenings when I have had a heavy day at work! Like tonight, had dinner flopped into my recliner, but went to get up and all my muscles felt like lead.. So the trusty walker to the rescue. I dont have to lean on it, but I just find that when I am extremely tired occasionally it helps to get my gait going probably.

When your muscles are tired, they forget what they are supposed to do, at least that is my theory and I am not ashamed to use the walker to give them a little assistance.. I don't look at it as going backwards, for me I think it is being sensible..

I would love to get involved in yoga, but it will have to wait. The rest of this year and the next are very busy years at work but the year after that we retire!...

Yes, to those you know me well, it is now only 399 actual working days.... :egypdance: Jamie;
 
Sandy, I answered your reply in your own thread. I felt overwhelmed by your kindness to respond to me after such a long day! "Flopped in the recliner with dinner" indeed! Yes, yes, my walker is not going ANYWHERE for quite a while! Yes, I see you have too much on your hands to look for a class on ANYTHING!

This is my fourth day of doing yoga since the surgery (today is my two week mark). There is so much I can do waist up, without compromising my hip. I have also taken on the PT exercises (except the side leg raise on bed BANNED by Josephine!) and turned them into yoga-cises with breath, dirshti (eye focus) and mula-bundha (root lock similar to a kegel). It works well.

And ta-ta...I can now pull up my knickers without using the curved handle of my cane!!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Completed on June 14, 2012
Another milestone on the recovery road for you Elle. Those little things mean so much as we move forward. Make a note of it along with all the other milestones, so on a bad day you can pull your list of accomplishments out and see how far you come in your journey. Keep up the good work, keep us posted, we care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom