THR Completed on June 14, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news on the discharge. Glad to hear that you have rejected the butt method of ascending stairs. I actually used that method after my acetabular fracture was healed, as I was too weak to use a cane, but you will be able to use cane and railing when you need to to avoid damage to your new joint.
I think that it is common to need more pain medication at night, not because of lack of mov

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Elizak said:
Great news on the discharge. Glad to hear that you have rejected the butt method of ascending stairs. I actually used that method after my acetabular fracture was healed, as I was too weak to use a cane, but you will be able to use cane and railing when you need to to avoid damage to your new joint.
I think that it is common to need more pain medication at night, because you are tired and sore from the day's activities. Sleep is probably the most important thing that you will do right now. It is when the body can kick into full healing mode. Good luck with your transport issues,

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Elle, I know it seems like an uphill climb right now. But you will be very mobile in just a short space of time. Slow and steady! Please let us know how you are getting on when you feel up to it!
 
Hi Elle I'm glad your going home it's surprising how you settle in to your own routine and of course lovely home cooking
I hate asking for help of anyone like you said we are normally the caregivers but Elle I also get told "if it was me" it's true you know you will be the caregiver again soon enough
Ha ha I can picture the old grannies squatting defiantly put a smile on my face but they can probably do it better than me
Take care have a great day or as best as you can and take it easy
 
I left the hospital yesterday and settled into a temporary flat for a few weeks. It is a pleasant place with lots of light and no stairs. I finally got a medication from the doctor that stops night pain and allows me to sleep; so I have had my first full night sleep in more than one year! I looked up the medication (LyriCA) on the web and, my goodness, for someone who only likes to use garlic for every problem known to mankind, it was a bit of a shock! But I don't care! The sleep is too delicious. I was even up during the time I was in ICU and valliums did nothing but make me bat my eyelashes a little more slowly.

Amazingly, there is no pain in the day time. Where does it go? No swelling. The PT exercises are very easy, feel good and I have to remind myself not to overdo it. I am rediscovering muscles in my inner thigh that atrophied from the severe arthritis. It is like too good to be true. I can already feel the hint of my former fluidity. Maybe I will even be back to teaching yoga after 6 months instead of a year as I originally guessed.

Today is just one week since my surgery; so tomorrow I am going to Nurse Jo's regime for week 2 and add a little bit more walking inside the house.
 
What a wonderful update Elle and so pleased you have been discharged and now are getting some sleep with a little help from some meds. I get where your coming from, love my garlic and of course all things natural, but for a little while you need some meds. It is a big op and when you think about what has happened in the operating room, no wonder we need some pain meds for a while.

Yes, also agree with you chairs do not encourage flexibility and when I think how many years of my life I have spent in an office chair, I shudder!... But that will all change come retirement :)
 
Wow Elle, you are doing brilliantly, that is so good to hear but yes, keep reminding youself not to overdo things, it's easily done but boy do we hippies pay for it later

Keep up the good work and take care

Ann
 
Thank you, Sandy and Ann. I feel frighteningly fantastic. Reread Nurse Jo's "Week 2" and am going to take a nap as soon as I ask this question that is bothering me:

As of yesterday, I am off antibiotics. Isn't this a bit early for such a deep cut?? I NEVER take antibiotics (unless my dentist forces me) but of course in this situation, I am open to any western medication that will support recovery. I emailed my doctor yesterday, but no reply yet. I was on intravenous antibiotics for a few days in the hospital and have just completed the oral Zinnat 500 mg. I am not planning to jump into any mud puddles and my wound is nicely bandaged, but still.... Thank you!
 
Hi Elle, regarding your antibiotic question... I was given antibiotics (I think in my drip in ICU) but wasn't given any to go home with... my incision was sterile dressed until I had my staples removed (all 39) then butterfly closures until they fell off by themselves.. that process took a couple of weeks.. my clothes kept rubbing on them and I would find them all over the floor, haha!

As soon as I was off my blood thinning injections, I started back on my natural remedies.. but checked with my OS at my 4 week post op check.. :)
 
Ah, thank you Sandy. So it seems that is normal for antibiotics; so I won't worry I am already off them. You did not even go home with them!

Reading posts about sleeping positions. Oh, dear. I was on my side with a pillow between my legs as soon as they released me from ICU and took out a few of the tubes. Since I haven't hurt anything, I am going to keep this up.

Yesterday when I was doing my gentle geriatric PT exercises I got a shock. I was able to lift the operated leg 90 degrees up from my body. The reason this surprised me is that over the past year, even with a devoted yoga practice, I had gradually lost the ability to lift that leg more than a few inches off the floor. I think this was due to a combination of the OA turning the joint to cement and muscle atrophy. My OS said that besides changing my hip joint, he had "Stretched out some muscles that had shrunk". Well, what ever this dear man did, God bless him!

Truely, the challenge is to take it easy. I re-read Nurse Jo's programme everyday to remind myself!
 
Ellle, I so happy to hear you are out of the hospital and doing so well. I had antibiotics injected into the hip at the time of surgery and then in my IV, none after my discharge.

Amazing about raising your leg up 90 degrees, did you have an anterior replacement? Yoga is transformative, before you know it; you'll be back to your yoga practice.
 
Thank you, Tracy for telling me that you, too, were not on oral antibiotics when you left the hospital. So that seems not to be unusual.

You know, I really wanted the anterior approach because of everything I read about the freedom of movement and "no restrictions" after surgery. However, after interviewing 8 surgeons, the doctor that resonated with my heart and gut only did posterior approach. He told me he was one of the pioneers in this country for the anterior approach and did it for several years. He switched back to the posterior approach because he said he felt he had such a clear view and almost 100% chance of exact placement. I am disappointed at the 6 month - 1 year restriction on the 90 degree bit; as well as the internal rotation. That being said, I am so grateful to be without pain after two years of agony, I really am not complaining much!

This morning I also noticed my face does not hurt anymore! I spent the past year clutching my jaw (even when I told my self to relax it) to put one foot in front of the other.
 
Wonderful Elle, sounds like you are progressing very well... I am so pleased that Jo's articles are helping to remind you not to go too fast.

I am going to tag her because she puts in so much work behind the scenes on these articles and I know she will be chuffed!

:angel: This is for you Jo Josephine;
 
Well, yes! I have copied and pasted Jo's weekly schedule on a document (as well as her 90 degree and dislocation article!) Even at week 2 although I WANT to test the limits of my wonderful new hip, certainly an orthopedic nurse with her experience knows better than I do! This is not to say I don't trust and listen to my own body, but in this case, I think it is better to temper my sheer excitement at delight of suuden returned mobility with wisdom! Josephine
 
Elle11; yes, it is fantastic to just be free of the bone on bone pain isn't it... I find even at a tad over 7 months, I surprise myself with my ROM when I suddenly do something without thinking about it. Like this morning, I actually crouched right down to a squat keeping my back straight to pick something off the floor.. that was special!
 
Well, I certainly am chuffed! And very flattered. Good on you. Elle.

As for the antibiotics, they are only prophylactic so a long course is unnecessary. Besides which, you get a generous dose in the theatre towards the end of the surgery so the stuff you get afterwards is just a supplement.
 
Hi Elle

Welcome to the "other side" I missed your arrival as I was too busy being stupified by the new forum format :heehee: It sounds like you are doing wonderfully now that you are out of the hospital.

I had a couple bags of blood after my surgery too and then I continued on some iron supplementation when I got home since my numbers were still a bit low and had a re-check with my GP around 6 or 7 weeks post op.

I see that you are taking Lyrica. I also took that during the time I was in the hospital as it is theorized to help prevent any nerve pain flare-ups after surgery like ours.

So you ended up having the posterior incision and they are suggesting that you go down stairs on your bottom :what: I hope that you are going to have some physical therapy and someone will teach you a better way of going on the stairs...

Take care,
Cardie
 
Thank you, Cardie. Yes, doing quite well although certainly sleeping so much! I feel like I am making up for the years of lost sleep from the OA!
Sandy Smja , that is GREAT you could crouch down to a squat and without thinking about it! WOW! You could do the chair pose for a few breaths!!! Great for quads, stretching the spine, strengthening back, balance! You don't have to go down far at all, but my goodness, if you got all the way to the floor...!!! (I liked this model because she did not look emaciated like many yoga models...and then I see she is pregnant!)

Photo credit.
 
Hi Elle, the sleeping a lot is very normal and very good for you, your body is healing whilst sleeping.

Thanks regarding my squat, I am doing them constantly now. Thanks for the great pose I love it. I am going to print it and practice it. I would never have thought of raising my arms, but of course this is yoga. I like the fact that it will stretch my back as I have three prolapsed discs and practising that will be easier than a full squat.

I started learning yoga many, many years ago and then got caught up working. I guess it is never too late. I need an exercise to get an inch off my bottom.. have you got a pose for that? once again, too much sitting at work...

Thank you, so pleased you are doing so well.
 
I think that it is much too early for someone within two weeks of surgery to be doing squats as described.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom