Guest viewing is limited

THR Coddfish’s second hip

Back to the topic of driving. I had my second physiotherapy appointment this morning, went there and back by taxi. The physiotherapist is very pleased with my progress. I am walking comfortably with one crutch and only needing a light touch. Strength and range of motion is good. Having found out that my car insurer has no particular restriction on when you can drive, other than you being confident whether you can control the car, I asked her what I should be looking out for. The answer was my strength is good so a lot of it would come down to my confidence. She said a 6 week time limit is very arbitrary because people recover at very different rates, and I am already doing a lot better at 3 weeks than many are doing at 6. Have good strength and mobility and am not on any pain relief. So when I got home, I tried a short test drive. Absolutely no issues. I think I will tire easily so I will limit myself to short journeys until I feel I am through that, but we now have the ability to get to both of our medical appointments a bit more easily. Useful as I have a routine oncology appointment on Thursday and my husband needs to go to the fracture clinic on the 16th. Both of those are at the big NHS hospital which we can reach by bus if we have lots of time to spare, but a car will make it a lot easier.
 
Good for you! That will make life much easier. I'm glad that your recovery is going so well.
 
So glad you got the all clear to drive. I think you're doing the right thing to build it up gradually. I know personally, that twisting at the waist set off a lot of discomfort for quite some time, so it's not all about the legs. I think our core strength is a bit out of whack for a while after surgery.

I imagine a bus journey would be quite a challenge in all kinds of ways, so great you can use the car!
 
I think I will tire easily so I will limit myself to short journeys until I feel I am through that,
Not sure how it will be for you, but it took me months to be able to sit comfortably within the tight confines behind the wheel, as in not being able to stretch my legs well, nor shift positions easily. After about 30-40 minutes max, I was at my limit and actually rather miserable. Plan short trips initially to see what you're able to tolerate.
Enjoy regaining that independence! :driver:
 
I drove to a National Trust property today to see its rather special walled rose garden. It was where we had planned to go on the day my husband got injured and was the reason he had gone out early for his run. Journey was about 75 minutes there and 90 minutes back in fairly heavy traffic. Out of our own small city, along a motorway, then through a town, then onto smaller roads. All was fine although I was quite tired when I got back home.

Everything else is going well. Scar fully healed, last blood thinner injection tonight (hurrah!). I can walk good distances with one elbow crutch and just a light touch, will probably migrate to my walking poles next week. I am not too comfortable getting down or up from low chairs and am happier if I have a cushion on a hard chair but can cope with most situations. Still having some constipation despite only having opioids on the day of surgery and the day after, and using stool softeners.

4 weeks tomorrow. This is proving just as straightforward as the first one, which is a relief.
 
If the stool softeners aren’t working, I suggest you give a product like MiraLAX a try. In the UK it is called Movicol, Laxido, or Cosmomcol. It is a powder that brings additional water to your digestive tract. You mix it with any liquid and it works within 24 hours. It is not a stimulant laxative, so you can take it once a day for as long as you need it with no problems.
 
That’s good. If you’re not using an actual stool softener like Colace in the US, in the UK you can add DulcoEase, Diocytl, Ducosol, or Norgalax. One of these additional products can work with the Movicol to help.
 
I really suffered with constipation and realised too late that I wasn't taking the right dosage of stool softener. Maybe double check on dosage. My instructions weren't very clear. In the end I took a mild laxative on the advice my hospital pharmacist. I took Senokot and it worked gently and then took the stool softener as prescribed and was much better. My bowel movements still aren't as regular as they were before surgery. I was prescribed Diocytl.
 
Stay adequately hydrated, if you're not already, and consider some of the following, which may help. :fingersx:
Grapes, Blueberries, Raisins, Cherries, Prunes, Dates, Chia Seeds, Coffee, Papaya,
Apples, Figs, Oats, Kiwi, Spinach, Brussels Sprouts, Beans, Sauerkraut, Kimchi,
Walnuts...Smooth Move Tea by Traditional Medicinals. If not at your grocer, likely on Amazon.
Wishing you the best. Constipation is miserable. :console2:
@Coddfish
 
One month today.

I have been very pleased to find my recovery with this second hip has been as straightforward as the first one. The technology is slightly different - an uncemented Stryker Accolade, whereas my first one was an uncemented Smith & Nephew Polar 3. I have good bone health as a regular runner and both hips seemed solid very quickly and the natural bone bond should allow me to get back to running in a few months time.

Overall, I spent 1 night in hospital, 2 days with opioids, and 2 weeks with paracetamol and ibuprofen. I returned home with elbow crutches and reduced from two to one just over a week ago. I am no longer using it in the house, other than on stairs, and to go to the toilet in the night. I have tried a short walk with my walking poles but am a few days away from that being comfortable.

Leg lengths are the same. No pain, just a little tightness along the scar and in some of the tendons that were messed with in surgery. The scar was fully healed at about 3 weeks and is barely pink. My movement is good and I am having little trouble with the “activities of daily living” despite still working within the movement restrictions placed on posterior surgery. Basically not bending more than 90 degrees, not letting my operated leg cross the mid line, and not pivoting on the hip. I can walk good distances although I am still slower than I want to be. I can drive despite having a manual car. I can walk downstairs leading with either leg but it’s still a little awkward to go upstairs leading with the bad leg. Today, I went back to my regular aqua aerobics class for the first time. I had to adapt some moves but it was ok, and really good to be back in the water.

Overall I feel considerably better than I did walking into surgery. I will be glad to move out of the back sleeping phase in a week or so - I can already spend short periods on my operated side but it’s not wholly comfortable. I have tried turning the other way whilst well awake and with multiple cushions and props to stop the operated leg dropping. At the moment it’s just too hot to want all those pillows around me, so it will have to wait until it’s safer, or cooler, or both.

We are going on a short break in Wales over the next few days for our wedding anniversary. It’s a foodie town and we have booked into a couple of fancy restaurants with tasting menus. I am going to have to do all the driving as my husband still has one arm immobilised following his collarbone fracture. I have been building up driving distances in anticipation. Just hoping the holiday cottage isn’t too difficult to navigate. I am aware it only has a shower over a bath, which will be a new challenge for me (I have walk in showers at home), so I have procured a bath transfer board to make getting in and out of that a bit easier. But the nature of the stairs, the height of furniture etc are all unknowns for me to find out about when I get there. The car will be filled with every disability aid I have just in case….
 
What a lovely update on this milestone date. Happy One Month Anniversary, Coddfish!
I wish you safe travels to Wales and hope the accommodations suit you and your husbands needs perfectly.
ENJOY!
@Coddfish
 
Congratulations on such a positive recovery :flwrysmile:. You're doing so well and I'm really pleased for you. I'm so accustomed to back sleeping I'd forgotten how to roll on my side when I tried this morning :heehee:

I'm sure you will cope well with your holiday cottage and you can always use your crutches if there are unfamiliar uneven surfaces. Something often found in Welsh cottages. The bath board is a good idea and maybe an anti slip matt for the bath. Hope you have a wonderful time!
 
Enjoy your anniversary trip, @Coddish. Glad to read that you are doing so well!
 
Happy Anniversary & enjoy your holiday. We are “ foodies” here as well & enjoy trying new cuisine as well as mastering the cooking.
 
We have enjoyed our short break in Wales. By having an overnight stop on the journey down, I was able to reduce it to about 3.5 hours driving on the first day, and 2 on the second. Going to do something similar on the way back. The hip has coped fine with the clutch action. The town we are staying in is a bit hilly, so that has presented some new challenges, in a good way. Similarly I have been faced with narrow awkward stairs in the cottage, and a shower over a bath, rather than easy stairs and walk in shower. My investment in a bath transfer board has proved invaluable to make access / egress easier. Lots of walking, lots of sunshine, good food, no hip issues. 5 weeks today and very glad I got this done when I did.
 
Oh that’s so encouraging to read. Happy anniversary and happy holidays to you both. Keep up the great work, sounds like you’ve clearly understood your body and the healing process.
Gives me hope as my op approaches next month.
Take care and safe travels home.
 
Last edited:
Great report, @Coddfish! Wales is such a lovely place to visit (at least it looks like it from the pictures I’ve seen). You are doing so very well for so early in your recovery.
 
Your short break to Wales sounds wonderful, glad you and your husband are having a good time.
 
Happy five week anniversary! Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. Great news!
Enjoy the rest of your getaway and safe travels home!
@Coddfish
 
Back
Top Bottom