Guest viewing is limited

THR Coddfish’s second hip

Closing in on 6 weeks and the end of restrictions. I have put the crutches away but am using my trusty walking poles for longer walks. I can walk up stairs normally (ie stepping up with alternate legs), so long as I have a handrail and am not tired. I can walk down stairs normally. Absolutely no pain or stiffness and the implant seems very solid now. I still have some weakness in the muscles and tendons on the operated side - for example I can’t yet do a single leg glute bridge on that side.

My self pay package at the Spire included unlimited physiotherapy. The physiotherapist has taken it upon herself to get me to the point where I can start running again, so we are now starting to work quite a lot on single leg standing etc. My cardiovascular fitness isn’t as good as it was last time around, so that’s also going to need some work to gradually improve it. Last time, I started short runs after 3 months and was running properly at 4 months, suspect it will take a little longer this time. If I can be regularly running 5k by Christmas, I will be happy.

It’s good to find there has been no resistance from my medical team to the idea of running. Last time, the surgeon was gently supportive and everyone else was trying to encourage me to cycle instead (I don’t own a bike, didn’t learn as a child and have a lot of fear of cycling in shared spaces). This time, the surgeon is very supportive and I have the physiotherapist actively working to get me ready for it. I think if you don’t run yourself, you don’t tend to understand the driving need to do it and the way nothing else substitutes for it.
 
Glad you're able to get back to all that you love and is fulfilling to you. Stay safe and enjoy!
@Coddfish
 
I'm really pleased to hear your recovery is going so well. Your story will surely be a motivation to other people who are faced with hip replacement and love to run. Keep on posting the updates on your progress through physio!

My activator poles turned up today. I have to say I wasn't expecting to be able to use them as I am still not able to transition to my walking stick from crutches. To my amazement they are a delight to use. The handles look very insignificant but they actually support weight really well.
 
I am delighted you like them and are finding them easy to use. They are generally a lot easier on the hands and do support weight well. I originally bought mine as a fitness aid to help me get back to running after my first hip replacement. But I became very reliant on them following my immunotherapy adverse event and lengthy steroid treatment and during my pre-second op decline. It’s a delight to get back to mine too. A lot less cumbersome than crutches. Managed the trip to the local shops without any aids this morning, having also been able to lace up my trainers by myself before I left. Win win!
 
Managed the trip to the local shops without any aids this morning, having also been able to lace up my trainers by myself before I left. Win win!
I remember my first time out and about without an assistive device. It felt like a miracle to be able to walk through the grocery store, unassisted, pain free, not hurrying through, grabbing only what I needed to quickly return to my vehicle in pain! Wonderful feeling, with so much gratitude in getting a second chance through joint replacement.
Have a lovely weekend, Coddfish!
 
Oh, how amazing to actually do up your shoes! Something a lot of people take for granted but those seemingly small things when you can't do them can feel like standing at the base of a mountain and looking up. You've hit one massive milestone there and not to mention shopping unaided. So pleased for you :flwrysmile:
 
Today’s new minor achievement- cutting my toenails on the operated side. It’s been a while since I have been able to do that! I can also pick up things from the floor, I have been able to do that for a week or so. Haven’t quite weaned myself off the various forms of raised seating yet through…
 
Awesome! We have to celebrate all of those little victories on our way back to being independent. Bravo!
Have a great rest of the day! :SUNsmile:
@Coddfish
 
cutting my toenails on the operated side
Wow, that's impressive for just 7 weeks post-op. I couldn't tackle that task with my first hip for several months!
 
That is pretty good going. At this point, I can't imagine ever doing my toenails again :heehee: My victory today was shaving a couple of inches below my knee. Looks ridiculous, shouldn't have bothered! As for the seating, I think, one day it suddenly feels comfortable to sit on a lower chair. I didn't have restrictions but was really uncomfortable for some time if the chair wasn't high enough.
 
I have removed the raised toilet seat and various cushions today so apart from using poles for longer walks, I am more or less back together again. Regaining fitness is a wholly different question, as this hip followed 3 years of treatment for cancer and the treatment driven immune system breakdown. Last hip was before all that started. My only remaining long term consequence from the 3 years is a lot of peripheral neuropathy in hands and feet. Plus I have pre-existing rotator cuff damage in my left shoulder and now arthritis in both shoulders. Got to decide whether to try to tackle that next.
 
Getting rid of all the "risers" is a huge milestone, @Coddfish -- Congratulations!

Sounds like you are doing well after everything you've been through. Give your some grace to enjoy the moment before pushing on to the next step.
 
Doesn't it feel wonderful to do away with the toilet seat! I think that's one of my favourite recovery memories. Cushions too, although I still have one on my very low rocking chair. I definitely think, enjoy a little break and a rest but you'll know when you're ready. Wonderful milestones :)
 
Signed off by physiotherapy this morning as I have a full range of motion, normal walking, ability to do the full range of glute bridges, clam shells, “supermen”, plus a short balance standing on one leg. Work ons are to increase the amount of time I can balance on one leg, plus do the same on more unstable surfaces. I followed the physiotherapy visit with an Aqua class and noticed how much I had improved at that since the last visit. I need time to regain pace and duration, but I feel the bulk of this recovery is done at seven and a half weeks.
 
Congrats on your progress. It sounds like you are at or nearing those days where you sometimes forget for a while that you had this major procedure not so long ago.
 
Thanks @scorow
Yes - getting close to that point. I remember being more or less normal at 8 weeks last time; the trajectory of this one has been very similar except I have a lower level of fitness to build upon.
 
Wow, @Coddfish …. What a great report. You’ve done a fine job with your recovery and it sounds like you are well on your way to an enjoyable and normal life again. I’m so glad you’re choosing to share your positive journey with us. These good news stories mean so much to people who are fearful about having joints replaced.
 
Great News! You give those just facing surgery something to refer to and look forward to in their own recovery. Even though we all recover at various times it’s good to see some of us get through it sooner.
 
Thanks all. I think it is useful to see that for some people it is relatively straightforward. I think one of the key factors is addressing the issue whilst you still have decent mobility and a degree of fitness. Other than that, I don’t subscribe to the take it easy and rest it mindset; both times I have benefitted from doing as much as I can in the early stages. But we are not all the same and getting back to a high level of activity is my goal, rather than just wanting to be pain free.

Thanks for everyone’s support. I may still pop back for the occasional update.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom