THR Coddfish’s second hip

@Codfish … in accordance with our forum rules, any links posted by members must not be to a commercial site. I appreciate what you’re trying to do in telling everyone about something that worked for you. We definitely want to hear about anything that helps your recovery! The way to do it is to post the product’s name and, if you can, an image of the product. Most of the time when we do this, we’ll snip an image from Amazon and paste that in the post. I’ve asked the staff to do this for the item in your post that was under review, so it should reappear soon in the member’s thread where you posted it. If you need assistance to post an image, we have tutorials on that subject or you can ask any staff member for help.
 
Hi @Coddfish. I did see your link before it was removed, thank you. These do look very similar to the ones I have just ordered but thank you for taking the trouble to post the link. Hope you are having a good day.
 
No worries. Yes, having a good day. I suspect they are very similar to the ones you have ordered. Good luck with them, they are a great idea.
 
@Coddfish and @IndigoKnee …. The link /Coddfish posted has been revised so that the commercial link is no longer there. So it is available if you want to refer to it again.

Actually a lot of these walking poles are very similar, so I agree that whatever you choose will probably work very well. Lots of our members swear by them for stability and to enable strength building when walking.
 
Day 10 of recovery. I was able to walk from home to our nearest area where there are lots of cafes etc for lunch. It’s a public holiday in the UK today, but unfortunately our recent spell of lovely weather has been replaced by strong winds. This made the walk interesting to say the least, as gusts seemed to be coming at me in all directions around the buildings. It’s also my first outing involving navigating several junctions to cross, and uneven bits of pavement where tree roots are pushing through. The weather meant the cafe we had chosen was not as busy as it might have been, which was helpful. The walk back was a little harder as I was more tired by then, but navigated without any pain.

Have started to wean my (already quite limited) pain meds down to 3 doses of paracetamol and 1 slow release ibuprofen per day. Again, that doesn’t seem to have triggered any increase in symptoms. All in all this feels to both be going very well, and to be following a similar path to my first hip. Looking forward to having my surgical staples removed on Friday, and to seeing the physio on Monday. The exercises they gave me at the hospital to go home with (assorted leg swings, knee raises and small squats) are not a problem. Hip movement seems excellent.
 
Wow, that sounds really great! I'm not sure how it could be any better.

Happy for you, and hopeful that I'll be so lucky as my date approaches (June 4).
 
Hopefully it will @scorow. Either way it’s a relatively short period of discomfort for most people and usually a surgery with successful outcomes.
 
So nice to hear how well you’re doing! Really happy for you
 
We are on day 12 of recovery now. Movement is good, not much pain and am managing on 4 doses of paracetamol a day plus the occasional ice pack. Outside step count is up to about 4,000 a day.

In 2023, during immunotherapy treatment for cancer, I had a grade 3 immunotherapy related adverse event. This is when your immune system causes damage to healthy organs. Treatment is a long course of high dose steroids. Ever since then I have been a bit prone to inflammatory issues in my bowel causing colitis. I have to be careful not to eat too many white carbs in a day and not more than one bread serving a day. By the time of surgery it was very well controlled. I also have to limit anti-inflammatory meds such as NSAIDs because the IRAE caused kidney damage, so have now stopped the ibuprofen. Of course the healing process for hip replacement generates a lot of inflammation, and this has triggered a bit of colitis for the first time in six months or so. My normal relief is to double over, or lie on my stomach; neither of which I am allowed to do at the moment. Oh well. I had speculated this might happen. It was worse overnight than it is now. It will pass.
 
I am sorry to read this, Coddfish. A cancer diagnosis and treatment is enough in itself, but now dealing with inflammatory bowel issues, and the concern of limiting meds, is a lot to deal with as your body is in healing mode once again. Thankfully you're feeling a bit better today. I wish you comfort and hope you experience complete relief soon. :console2:
@Coddish
 
Sorry to hear your colitis has flared up, seems it is always something. hope it settles down soon. Glad your hip is coming along. :elevate:
 
Oh no! That sounds uncomfortable to say the least, especially not being able to get into a comfortable position. I do hope it eases off soon for you.
 
I’m so sorry to hear that. I know it’s a balancing act with medication when you have more than one conditions…I also have ulcerative colitis and pericarditis and it’s so hard to treat one without risking a flare up of the other. I hope it settles quickly for you. Could it be a reaction to stool softeners also?

Glad to hear that the hip is healing well and 4000 a day is a great accomplishment!! Well done x
 
I only used stool softeners for the first couple of days because I wasn’t using opioids either by then - so all ok. I hope it will settle down once the early healing is done. It’s been more or less ok today.
 
Day 14. It’s a couple of days since I have reported on my own journey, and everything continues to go well. The abdominal problems were a one off.

I had been worried that sleeping on my back would be a huge issue as I also have osteoarthritis in both shoulders and have found it uncomfortable to lie on my back for a while as the shoulders start to hurt. Without high expectations, I bought a specialised memory foam pillow providing neck support, and have found it has made a huge difference. I think it’s inevitable to wake up several times in the night for a call of nature, because lying on your back dries your mouth out and you also drink a lot of water. But despite the multiple interrupts I am sleeping well and the shoulders aren’t bothering me at night. 4 more weeks of this seems totally doable.

Yesterday I managed a 2 hour outing to a local beauty spot, involving a fair bit of walking, but also 3 rest stops. I am generally finding walking is ok, the only discomfort I get is in my hands from using the elbow crutches. Cycling gloves ease that to some extent. My step count is steadily increasing day by day, and if anything I think I am probably ahead of where I was at this stage last time - and that recovery itself had gone really well. We have also had quite a few meet ups with friends in coffee shops and lunches in cafes. It all seems ok so long as I have a cushion to sit on. I am choosing places where I know that will be the case.

I have been back to the hospital today to have my surgical staples removed. The wound is good. Recovered with a dressing for a further 24 hours but I take that off tomorrow. Then just 2 more weeks of the Clexane injections and compression socks. I will be glad to lose both of those. My abdomen is covered in bruises from the nightly injections.

On Monday I see the physiotherapist. I think my range of movement and strength is pretty good. As always with something like this it just takes time. I had a painkiller (paracetamol) when I got back from the hospital, as I felt a bit sore having had the staples out, but otherwise I am not needing painkillers now.
 
This is a really great report, @Coddfish. It sounds like you’re listening well to the signals your body’s telling you to move a little more and slow down when it feels like you’re reaching your current limits. This is how a successful recovery is done. Bravo!!
 
All great news. Having the staples removed can be a little uncomfortable but feels good once they are removed.
Another step forward in your recovery.
 
Great report, glad you are doing well, Having the staples out must feel good.
 
Back
Top Bottom