THR Coddfish’s second hip

Life has become a little more complicated today. My husband went out for an early morning run, tripped, fell and broke his collarbone bone in 3 places. One of the fractures is displaced so we are expecting he will need surgery to pin it. He also has a gash and haematoma on his head and various more superficial grazes. And of course is now immobilised and in a sling and unable to drive.

Meanwhile I am doing well but of course also not able to drive or do anything involving heavy lifting. I think I will need to see if I can be cleared by my consultant to drive an automatic car (which I will need to hire as ours are manual) or the next few weeks are going to be challenging. Wondering if anyone has experience of driving less than 3 weeks out from hip replacement? Left hip. I am pretty mobile and not on any meds.
 
Sorry to hear about your husbands tumble and collarbone fracture.
My surgeon said you can drove in 2-3 weeks, if off of pain meds.
Since your right leg was not operated on you should be able to drive.
 
Oh no... I'm so sorry to hear about your husband! I imagine it's been incredibly stressful and now quite challenging. I don't have personal experience but my neighbour was driving after just a couple of weeks. He coped well.
 
so sorry to hear that. You certainly didn’t need this now. I hope your husband recovers well and that you are able to organise something with the driving. Please try not to overdo it. Sending hugs
 
So sorry to hear of your husband's fall. That's a lot for you guys to deal with. I was driving pretty early with my right hip. I bet that at 3 weeks you'll be good to go with the left hip so long as you're not taking narcotics. You and your husband will have quite the story to tell and look back on once you get through this.
 
Oh my goodness! The poor guy, I am sorry to read the news about your husband, Coddfish.
Wishing him comfort as he heals.

In regard to driving -
The nurse who ran through everything with me a week before my surgery said I could drive to my post op appointment two weeks after surgery if I was off the heavy meds. I was surprised.
I didn't get behind the wheel until I was four weeks post op, but probably felt comfortable enough to at three if I had to drive for some reason, which I didn't.
@Coddfish
 
Oh no, that’s terrible. Your poor husband. And poor you!
I think if you can rent an automatic car you should be ok to drive.
I don’t exactly remember when I started to drive but I know I just went slowly around my block to get the feel of the brake & gas pedal once again.
Then I was off to the races!
All my best, hope you have family or friends that can help pitch in for awhile.
 
My consultant’s office said it is normally 6 weeks before you can drive in the UK but to check with our car insurer. The problem is if we hire an automatic car that will be on the hire company’s insurance not our insurance. But I might as well find out when I can drive our own car. I am pretty sure I could physically drive our manual car now, but it would be more tiring. Fortunately we live somewhere where we can manage most things without driving. I think the lady in the pharmacy was slightly surprised when I wandered in on crutches yesterday afternoon to collect my husband’s prescription pain relief. He, meanwhile, was sitting at home still in the hospital gown, sling and boxer shorts combo the treatment centre had sent him home in. Getting him showered and dressed this morning was fun. I can walk very short distances without my crutches but need one to get around the house, so we mostly have 2 working hands between us plus my bending restrictions.
 
Getting him showered and dressed this morning was fun.
You two must feel like the blind leading the blind. Do you laugh at yourselves? I hope that doesn't sound offensive because it's not my intention, but I recall at my worst I'd laugh at how pathetic I felt, and looked, and it lightened my mood...for a sec anyway, lol :wink:

I hope the physical pain either of you are struggling with is well controlled with meds.
Hugs to you both. :friends:
 
Yes, we have been finding the humour in the situation. Fortunately I am able to do most things now but tying his shoelaces without bending down caused a bit of thinking until I realised he could go on my recliner. He was then able to pick up essential needs from the shops with his one working hand. I got slightly caught yesterday when I picked up his pharmacy drugs and found the packaging was too big to go in the cross shoulder bag I can wear whilst out and about with crutches. No problem, just had to lose the packaging. He’s doing ok on the cocodamol I collected. I have been completely off pain meds since last weekend. Various hospital appointments will be resolved with friends giving lifts or prebooked taxis. Major food shop can be ordered in.
 
@Coddfish Creative problem solving for the win! I am so sorry to hear of your husband's accident and injuries and surgery! I hope you both heal fully and as speedily as possible. :prayer:
 
Sounds like you are handling this latest challenge.
It’s great that we can now order just about anything & have it delivered.
All my best.
 
Progress is being made in various ways. Due to my husband’s incapacitation, I am having to step up a bit more round the house. I was keen to take back the cooking anyway, as I am a keen amateur cook, and had bought a new cookbook (Ixta Belfrage’s Mescla) to provide inspiration. Lots of Habanero chillis involved. I was pleased to cook quite a complex meal for guests last night.

My husband’s x-rays were reviewed by the orthopaedic MDT meeting and he has been called into the fracture clinic. I think this means they are concerned his clavicle fracture may need surgery. It’s displaced as well as broken in 2 places. In the meantime he’s managing well and we have worked out ways of using our various working limbs to solve problems. We must have looked quite a sight on our daily walk with his arm in a sling and me on my crutch. It does mean people make space.

The big news there is I am now comfortable out on just one crutch. I waited until there was no sign of leaning into it, and that seemed to happen as if by magic yesterday. My physiotherapist would like me to transition to my walking poles as soon as I can. I have tried around the house but don’t yet feel they give enough support. I haven’t hit the 3 week point yet, that is tomorrow. My notes from last time do show I was walking 4K comfortably at 4 weeks last time, so hopefully I will be able to make that transition in the next week. My physiotherapist also cleared me to try sleeping on my operated side. I have tried this but whilst it helps with my back and shoulders, it is not comfortable to lie on the surgery site.

Meanwhile I have been cleared to drive as soon as I feel I can safely do so, which is a bit of a relief.
 
Be sure to put a contoured wedge or pillow between your legs when attempting to sleep on your side right now. It may make things more comfortable.

I’m so sorry this has happened to your husband. But I love your “we can do anything” approach to making things work. It would be good to snap a photo of you both on a walk right now so you can have a wonderful story with photo for later. :heehee:
 
Very impressive how well you are progressing considering the added challenges. It makes me (just dealing with hip recovery and with a healthy and helpful spouse) feel like a slacker!
 
I understand how you feel having gone on cancer journeys twice. We're surgery date buddies I think the 21st?
 
Hi @scorow
I am just grateful it’s going well and I have an otherwise healthy and helpful spouse. You will be up and about before you know it.

Thanks @Jamie
The operated area is uncomfortable to lie on despite a pillow between my legs. I remember it took a long time to get comfortable lying on my first hip. I remember being able to sleep on the non operated side for what seemed like several weeks before it became comfortable to lie on the operated side, and I didn’t risk being on the non operated side until about the 5 week point. I don’t feel I can try that yet with this hip but am feeling pretty keen to get there as I don’t get on with sleeping on my back.
 
Hi @Kolleen
Close, I was done on the 17th. Everything does take on a different perspective when you have metastatic cancer. Although I appear to be in a sustained remission thanks to the wonders of immunotherapy, you just don’t know. Every scan can bring bad news.
 
I waited until there was no sign of leaning into it, and that seemed to happen as if by magic yesterday.
Kind of serendipitous, really, since hubs can use an extra hand right now.
Awesome news that your preparing meals for guests, can drive when you're feeling up to it and ease into side sleeping. All great progress!
I am sorry your husband may need surgery. :console2:A peaceful weekend to you both, Coddfish.
 
There is another way to kind of “sneak” into a back sleeping position. You can put pillows longways behind your back from shoulder to pelvis and when you get in bed on your side, just kind of lean backwards into them. Another pillow between your legs may also be good. I found this took just enough pressure off my hip that I could sleep that way. You might give this a try. But of course, waiting will work fine too.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom