THR Coddfish’s second hip

It's wonderful to hear how well you have progressed in such a short time. I'm really pleased for you and do hope you'll keep posting to let us know how well things are going. It's important that people get to read about good range of recoveries. It balances out the slower recovery stories like mine. Although my recovery is a slower with a few challenges, I still really enjoy hearing about people who get fantastic results more quickly and am always interested in what exactly people can and can't do. I was actually quite inspired to hear about your balancing on one leg. I thought, wow... I can do that too. It reminded me that whilst walking distances is still a bit of a challenge, I can maybe excel on strength and balance. My glute bridge is coming along nicely :)
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Do stop back with occasional updates, we will look forward to that.
Have a great Thursday and weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Coddfish
 
:cheers:. Congratulations on Two Months!
 
The SailGP event came to Portsmouth (UK) today. It’s a global sailing event involving high powered catamarans and 12 teams from around the world. This was I think the 7th event of this series; it has already been in Dubai, Auckland, Sydney and 3 locations in the US. We had seats in the grandstand so a fair amount of walking to the event, walking around the site (hemmed in by a castle and Southsea’s various fortifications), then up into a grandstand (tiny seat) and then reverse the process. Nice meal in a local Italian to follow before heading home. I am pleased to say the new hip coped without issue even if my nerves were a little frayed by navigating the heights of the scaffold construction grandstand.
 
That's an amazing outing for a new hip. So glad you were able to navigate it all! It just goes to show how remarkable this surgery is. I actually found myself dancing today. Not quite as impressive as ramparts but I'll take it and celebrate alongside you. Here's to new hips!!! :capn:
 
Hi Coddfish,
Sounds like a great event and how wonderful you were able to attend and did so well.
You were brave navigating grandstand seating at only two months post op. That would be nerve wracking!
I hope you enjoy the week! :SUNsmile:
@Coddfish
 
I had my follow up appointment with my hip surgeon today. All is well, I have been discharged. I saw the X-rays taken on the day of surgery. All looked good, although it’s a different brand of implant to the first one (Stryker versus Smith &Nephew), they are almost identical. I still have a little tightness on a couple of movements but he wasn’t concerned by this, he says it takes 3 months or so for all the soft tissues to settle.
 
Hooray!!! Great report. Isn’t it comforting to hear that good news from your surgeon in addition to watching the progress yourself. Sometimes we need that affirmation. Don’t give a second thought to the different implants used. You will never notice a bit of difference because of it.
 
Fantastic news! I'm so pleased that you've been discharged and everything is going so well for you.
 
3 months today for new hip #2. I haven’t posted much as I have been trying to get on with life. On the plus side, I am pain free, can manage most things and am finally sleeping well. I am not as happy with my progress as I was a month ago, as it does seem to have stalled. No particular issues but a bit of a tendency to get soft tissue flare ups which can take a few days to settle back down. A little frustrating as my range and pace was a lot better by this time with hip #1. I have to listen carefully to my body to decide when I need to ease off and rest, rather than push further. That’s not sitting well with me, probably a case of adjusting g expectations a bit.
 
Hi @Coddfish - our recoveries rarely go in a straight upward line. They definitely include minor setbacks when we overdo it.

But having a minor flare demanding rest and hitting plateaus are also normal.

Underneath, while it seems like there's no progress, usually there's quiet stuff going on including remodeling of all the support structures (muscle, tendons, ligaments) even far from your hip (ankle, knee, pelvis, spine) that were suddenly reset in the OR.
 
A little frustrating as my range and pace was a lot better by this time with hip #1.
Every hip is different, even two hips in the same person! Try not to compare.

As Janet says, we all notice periods of what seem to be plateaus during our recovery -- but it's just our bodies preparing for the new stage of recovery.

Keep listening to your body. It really does know what it needs.
 
I know I'm not in your category of fitness but I was researching my current knee flare up and read a fantastic article that talked about 'boom and bust'. When you're recovering or carrying a slight injury it's so easy to get carried along when things start to improve and as a consequence overdo it, hence the 'bust'. In my case my quad tendons reacted rather grumpily to doing just a bit more than usual. A week later, I'm still nursing them back. I'm sure you'll find a balance before long. Must be difficult because you are measuring by what you could achieve last time.
 
Yes, my frustrations are that I can’t yet run, I can’t yet walk at pace, I can’t yet go off striding the downs for a long hike. I am well aware that in the grand scale of things I am doing well. I am also aware I am 4 years older than last time, and that 3 of those involved either cancer treatment, or steroids to recover from cancer treatment complications, or recovery from the steroids. However good my hip is, I also have significant peripheral neuropathy in my feet that won’t ever recover. Let’s see what happens in month 4.
 
Hang in there. Most of us have minor setbacks along the recovery road. You are listening to your bodies cues & that’s most important. I hated when I had planned several chores around the house or even walks & had to cut my day short to have a date with ice & couch. And after a while the episodes became shorter. & less frequent.
 
You'll get there friend! It sounds like you still have a bit more soft tissue healing going on there. I think one of the reasons, two hips are often different is that soft tissue tends to heal in it's own good time and refuses to be put on a stop watch. Frustration is only natural when you enjoy being active but let's hope you'll soon make a big leap forward and the frustration is a distance memory. You've overcome so much and this is just a little hump in the road.
 
Hello and Happy Monday Coddfish
It is understandable that it is frustrating not being able to walk fast, run or hike yet. Three months is considered really early in the healing journey. Slowly but surely you are building strength, stamina and mobility. You are making progress even if it feels slow and your patience will pay off. Hang in there!
@Coddfish
 
Back
Top Bottom