• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Cocoon to moth

ahipgma

senior
Country
United States United States
I love nature and gardening and being outside lifts my spirits too. I love to weed and make my beds look nice. It has been apparent that you love outdoors so congrats on getting back to something you love. Sometimes its worth a little pain!

OP
OP
Cecropia

Cecropia

graduate
Country
@ahipgma
Will miss summer, it takes so long for it to come back...
I have other flowers, but my zinnias and coleus really will be missed, they have done well with the help of miracle grow....and I always feel so sad to see the frost come. In the south, you can't have some perennials that I love, but annuals you can replant over and over so you always have color.
20190904_121313.jpg
20190904_121234.jpg

ahipgma

senior
Country
So so beautiful @Cecropia!!!! Coleus are amazing in that they dont flower but are hardy and give gorgeous color! No wonder you were anxious to get outside
Postop! Zinnias are gorgeous too! I think we value them more after a hard winter than those who have palm trees and perpetual summer!

Elf1

graduate
Country
@Cecropia such lovely plants, you do really good work! Hoping to maybe get back into gardening of some sort this next year. Things are a little different here due to the high temperatures and draught but think the counties around here have classes you can go to do that you learn what grows well in the area.

One of my favorite times of year is spring when the blue bonnets bloom, so beautiful! I have a little dry gulch next to our house and then a little hill on the other side that is still our property. I have always wanted to sprinkle blue bonnet seeds out there every year and always seem to forget until too late. Maybe 2020 will be the year, y'all encourage me!
:flwrysmile:

ceezee

senior
Country
I loved mowing beautiful straight paths, it was like decorating the lawn and I still do love it and I hate people that just mow in weird swathes that are all jagged and wretched looking with no rhythm. lol.
You’re not the only one. I am also someone who loves to mow the lawn for exactly the same reason!

Calgal

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Your flowers are beautiful and I wish you would teach my hubby to mow a lawn as tidy as I'm sure you do. I've always coveted those British stripes. He's not bothered. Did you know they use a special mower to get those stripes? :yes:. So glad to hear you're out in your happy place and enjoying life without crippling hip pain.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
We are soooo similar! I love mowing, too! And chafe at sloppily mowed lawns in my neighborhood.
You mowed and it didn't bother you. That is great news.. you are doing so well..
Its the little things, absolutely!
:flwrysmile:

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I loved mowing beautiful straight paths, it was like decorating the lawn and I still do love it and I hate people that just mow in weird swathes that are all jagged and wretched looking with no rhythm. lol.
You're funny! I love this and I agree, but I want someone else to do it, I don't want to.:nah:

I hate Winter and I don't like saying I "hate" things, but I hate Winter! At least in the frozen tundra of the Upper Mid-West. Even more so now that I'm worried about falling on slippery, icy pavements / parking lots for half the year, with my faux hip. The only part I like is...decorating for the holidays, I'm going to start earlier this year, simply because it makes me happy, and as soon as it's over, it's over for me and I want it all packed away.
Until then I'll enjoy the smell of fresh cut grass....cut by anyone but me, lol.

Your flowers are gorgeous!

OP
OP
Cecropia

Cecropia

graduate
Country
Wow, was not expecting so many nice comments, thank you all so much. @ceezee @Calgal @CricketHip @linette333 @Layla
@ahipgma, I have a secret, coleus do get tiny flower spikes and I pick them out which keeps the coleus getting larger and not going to seed.
@Elf1 I'm pretty sure bluebells also bloom wild in Tucson desert in the spring???? I don't know, do they, just know we vacationed in Tucson in mid to late March just so we could see all the wild flowers and I took lots of pictures a few years back. I was searching for the desert lily and got lucky and found some growing by the roadside in a country area. We go through Texas, by way of Dallas and Fort Worth. We camp in Arizona. We camp everywhere we go. lol. We have thought about selling our motor home and giving up camping, sadly, we might yet become hotel vacationers.

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
Oh it's time to plan for winter. I hate microspikes as I have to take them off to drive, but LLBean now has some outside waterproof shoes with a grip.. Womens Insulated Comfort Mocs with Arctic Grip.. Not for use indoors as they will tear your floor up but might be perfect for errands. I worked at Beans for years and can tell you that ordering winter stuff in December usually does not pay off( and no I get no money for mentioning the shoes!). That said the sizes on the shoes seem to be not consistent per the reviews and I shall have to do my walking in the Freeport store soon. Shoes are one item that are sometimes a best guess ordering online. The penguin winter shuffle is one gait I hate.. I would rather be more confident on ice ( and it lasts from Nov to April here)

Coleus are wonderful with all their colors and they grow well in the shade.. Those are beautiful zinnias and coleus @Cecropia !
.Most of our neighbors that have had lawn are letting them go to wildflowers and those that live lakeside are not allowed lawn. Its wonderful to see all the milkweed in open areas ( which my home is not in we have many acres of pine and hardwood forest) All my flowers have to be in raised beds or pots as I live in a pine glade. The house is on a rock and sphagnum moss is my "lawn"

All the cherry tomatoes had a team meeting and decided that the vast majority of them would be ready for eating. Tomorrow. Not today not the day after tomorrow.. First frost is coming soon.. so far we have barely escaped it.
Oh @Cecropia about three years ago we moved from tent to trailer and have crossed the USA from Maine to Alaska Maine to Arizona( the Saguaro bloom is so magnificent!) and down to Florida four times.. I am sad to think you are contemplating giving up the motor home.. We just have a little travel trailer with kitchen bed and full bath.
We are going to Acadia NP ( near our home) in three weeks for the Night Sky Festival. A big four day star party! And will camp in the trailer..

OP
OP
Cecropia

Cecropia

graduate
Country
@mainegirl1 Do you ever rest? lol. We've not been to Alaska, but just about everywhere else including Hawaii, but that was years ago, I was only 26, and not afraid to fly. I was in love with Don Ho and watched his beach TV show every day. :heehee: I won't fly now, but that's okay, as I have no desire to travel out of America other than Canada, and my husband feels likewise. You have fun things planned ahead....

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
@Cecropia most of my fun things involve rejoining the living! I just looked at this pile of untouched library books by the bed and Yikes they were all overdue..
That post op fog!
So I went online and renewed them ( another 50 steps! ) and now am retiring to bed to enjoy chapter one of the latest Jodi Picoult novel.

SurreyGirl

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Ah Hawaii Five O. Loved Jack Lord! And the start of the programme with those huge waves had me longing for the sea

Re SAD, the only thing I have stockpiled in the event of a Brexit here is Vitamin D. I bought 3 months supply. Started using it in late September a few years back and I really think it helps. I am a winter born baby and love the summer. My significant birthday is going to be in the sun this year :)

Lovely flowers everyone. My hubby strims our garden. Grounds for divorce?!

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
My, you really do have a green thumb, @Cecropia I am envious of that, as my gardening skills are absolutely nil, but I love wandering through gardens of talented folks and appreciate the greenery, lovely flowers and often good scents. I do weed, my sole contribution to gardening. Enjoy the late summer/early fall days. Bet that lawn will need mowing for a few more weeks before the ugly weather sets in. But sounds like hips are doing great and all's well in your world--congratulations! And have a good day.

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Ha, ha, @Cecropia, so better living through chemicals then? I am so bad about forgetting to fertilize. Sometimes things start to look really droopy (key in sad looking plants on the back deck) and I hustle out to our garden shed to grab some fertilizer and toss it around. But your consistent approach undoubtedly works far better--and you have the gorgeous garden to prove it!

mikeycat

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
So happy for you. Told you things would move forward and up. I love winter but hubby also suffers from SAD and we go south in winter. We too wanted a condo in the south but no more with all the climate change, hurricanes and the lot. I want to go west here where there is no snow in winter but don't want to leave our son. I know about living long in one place . I have lived in this city all my life.You sound like such an artist. Have a wonderful week-end.

OP
OP
Cecropia

Cecropia

graduate
Country
This update is 1 week away from 4 months. Currently I get up in the morning, have to use my cane at first, op leg stiff and sore along side and back buttuck area. My stepson, I will refer to him as my advisor since he has 30 years as an ortho technician. He's like Josephine. He dislocates hips for surgery, assists in surgery, stitches people up and also knees, shoulders etc. After seeing my OS a second time he reassured me the replacement is not the problem, but was not much help after that so I turn to my advisor for advice quite often. :)
My advisor still thinks its glutes healing back together after being split for posterior surgery, trochanter, maybe tight internal stitches or even maybe the surgery has irritated my sciatic nerve. Arggg. Shooting in the dark here and I need lots more healing time. I do loosen up during the day and after more research on Tylenol, which I did not think was helping till I stopped it, I realized it was helping, so back on 1000mg in morning and 1000mg in afternoon. Nothing before bed, because I don't feel pain while sleeping, or sitting. But if I sit too long over 30 minutes I get sore and stiff even at 4 months and have to walk to loosen up again.
I've now read many articles that tylenol is safe for seniors long term, especially at the dose I'm on and so I'm staying on it so I can get a pretty normal day to do as I wish. My OP leg is always more sore at night, after being on it a lot and so back to the cane before bed, but not always.

Now the interesting update. Yesterday afternoon I finally took my mountain bike out of the shed, carefully got on it and rode around the back yard on the grass. Too my surprise, I felt no pain and my legs felt strong, as if I had never stopped riding it months ago. So I took it to the garage, checked the tire pressure, adjusted it accordingly, loaded my backpack in the house with water, etc. and away I went for an hour of wonderful, exillerating fun. There are many scenic bike paths near our house and the inclines are not too steep.
I never once struggled, or felt tired, even peddling up the inclines. But, when I rode into the yard later, stopping at the shed, getting off, well guess what????, it was if I had just got out of bed in the morning, my OP leg was stiff and sore, had my husband, who was sitting on the deck bring me my cane so I could walk back to the house. :shrug: Go figure that one out.

I can go walking about 3mi with my hiking poles and don't stiffen up, the opposite actually. So sitting on my bike must be like sitting too long. Weird.....
So now I'm going on the Internet to buy a collapsible cane that will fit in my backpack, so if I want to stop somewhere while biking, and walk down by the river or whatever, I can use my cane. :heehee:
Plus, I won't be stranded somewhere, helpless and can't walk :dubious:
I'm already planning a picnic and biking trip out of town now that I know I can ride my bike again.:biking::happydance:
Can you imagine people seeing me ride up on my bike, then getting off and using a cane to walk. :loll:
I don't care, I've got all of October yet to ride. Yippee!
One day, I hope I'm all healed and back to normal, but until then I'm glad I have my soon collapsible cane, hiking poles, mountain bike, and Tylenol.
It's a struggle, this hip business, hope someone benefits from my update and does not give up hope.....on their own recovery.:flwrysmile:

ceezee

senior
Country
@Cecropia
What a great discovery and plan! You are so lucky to have bike trails you get ride to safely. I love to bike but I live in the Philly suburbs and with crazy drivers even on side streets so I end up taking my bike up to Valley Forge Park to ride. It’s beautiful and safe but nearly a half hour away.

Walking is a different story with lots of nearby interesting places. Plus I can walk a dog....or maybe now two.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
huskypaws
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags