• BLUE TOOLBAR CHANGES! We've made some minor adjustments to the categories in the blue tool bar at the top of your screen. You may notice some links in a different drop-down menu, but everything is still there.
Lounge Doctor
ConforMIS

THR Cocoon to moth

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
United States United States
Squirrel. We had too many last year as the mast crop the year before was huge. Then they all died off as last year there was no mast crop.
One of my self help PT exercises this fall has been walking on acorns. The deluge is huge and they hurt when they hit your head. This does not bode well for the squirrels next winter ( 2020-21) With a big mast crop they will reproduce over the winter and if there is no food next year the die off will recur.
However I have a dog.
We went from 83 to 46 in a day here( highs). But we are blessed both not to be on a ranch in Montana. Snow comes this weekend ( maybe - long range predictions are iffy). The good news is fall colors came on fast and glorious and we have a road trip to Northern Maine on Thursday with some woods walking ( a camera meander which is not serious walking. I have taken up the leisurely hobby of noticing). Colors will peak by the weekend but being retired we have the ability to avoid crowds.

@Layla my husband is so anti pumpkin spice.. Except for pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie. I showed him Pumpkin Spice Oreos in the store today. Was not pretty.
Do you have good color in Michigan @Cecropia ? We always get Michigan Tourism commercials here in Maine.

OP
OP
Cecropia

Cecropia

graduate
Country
@mainegirl1 We have beautiful color in the fall, lots of deciduous trees. The color has not come on yet, maybe in the UP, but not in Southern MI. Further into October it will be really pretty. Sorry to be a poop, but I'm not into fall...even with the color....I prefer all green or rocks like Tucson AZ and the cactus varieties. I feel very spiritual when I'm in Arizona, like the spirits of old are everywhere. I have a beautiful Indian flute hand made from AZ and though I can't play it well, I love to just play it anyways, it's so calming and I feel like I'm there in the desert and among the rocks and cactus away from civilization....lol

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
...I prefer all green or rocks like Tucson AZ and the cactus varieties. I feel very spiritual when I'm in Arizona, like the spirits of old are everywhere. I have a beautiful Indian flute hand made from AZ and though I can't play it well, I love to just play it anyways, it's so calming and I feel like I'm there in the desert and among the rocks and cactus away from civilization....lol
As they say...whatever floats your boat. I'm not a fan of heat or prickly cactus and love the change of colors in nature that Autumn brings, but I'd love to hear you play your flute! Just missed the Renaissance Festival locally which I love and you hear a lot of that type of music there which I find to be a relaxing happy sound.

Wishing you a pain free peaceful type of day! :friends:
@Cecropia

Calgal

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
At least you can work through your stiffness. :thumb:. Paracetamol is my new best friend. I'm off the NSAIDs now. Used to go through them like candy and thankfully my tummy has survived. But I'm still popping an occasional paracetamol, especially after a major gardening session or a long day of walking or driving. Just a fact of life. Get your wooly pulleys and socks out and stay warm! I do think cold and rainy weather (as we've had the last week) gas made my hip squeak a bit more. Take care. :friends:

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
I gotta say I'm with @Layla on the issue of whether hot, dry weather would be preferable to more distinct seasons as we have in the more northern climes. Personally, I am not a fan of the heat, but then the winters in the PNW are nothing like what Midwesterners experience (far milder, although cool and wet) and maybe if I lived in Michigan I'd totally be craving a winter time move to Arizona. Even though you can't move there permanently, @Cecropia, I do hope you get there for even a few weeks this year—I imagine you peacefully looking out over a soothing vista of cactus and rocks. I am assuming heat feels good for your hips, too? It does sound like your "happy place" and something to look forward to as a brief respite if you're able to escape there for a few weeks anyway. Cheers!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cecropia

Cecropia

graduate
Country
@Calgal My aunt in Arizona has been taking Aleve am and PM she said for about 20 years since she was 70 for arthritis. She's never had a problem with her stomach.
She's also a breast cancer survivor. She just turned 90 and said she's still taking the aleve. She has never smoked or drank any alcoholic beverages. She must have an iron stomach. :shrug:Her health is great, she drives, etc and loves AZ.
@Barbaraj The first time I went to Tucson AZ I felt born again, very spiritual place, but we spent most of our time hiking away from the cities and made many trips back until we had been all over AZ including hiking down into the Grand Canyon, kayaking the Colorado river, horseback riding in the desert, exploring caves, lol, I could be a tour guide. :heehee:
But I'm afraid of the hot, hot, summer's, so doubt I'll ever move there.
My living room and dining room are decorated in a southwestern theme, all of my treasures I brought home from AZ.
Better get back to hip stuff, :yes: but I sometimes listen to cd's I bought at one of the Indian reservations while I try to fall asleep. And I drift away into another time and place. ♥♥♥
Today was a good day with my hip. Made a 2 hr drive south to visit my brother and was able to get out of the car and walk without my cane, both ways. :yes!: We'll see what tomorrow brings, always changing.:what:

Calgal

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Great news on surviving the long drive!! (and I hope I have the iron stomach of your aunt :heehee:). Have a great week.

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
I agree, @Cecropia, AZ in the summer doesn't sound like fun! But being a "snowbird" during the worst of a midwestern winter would be nice. Congrats on a long car drive coupled with the ability to get out of the car and walk without aids. Are you car exits easy? I don't use aids but to extricate myself from a car isn't a pretty sight--various maneuvers required so I don't stagger when I first stand. Hope you had a nice visit with your brother.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Cecropia
How are you feeling today after the two hour drive and walk? Hopefully none the worse for wear. That's amazing that your aunt has been taking Aleve for that long without side effects. No joint replacements either I'm assuming? Fantastic she battled breast cancer and beat it also. Strong woman I'll bet.
Hope you've had a good day. Enjoy the evening!

OP
OP
Cecropia

Cecropia

graduate
Country
@Barbaraj @Layla Barbara, I can get in and out of the car okay, but on landing the op leg on the ground, I first stand a moment to see if it is working okay. A little pain is okay, but if I get an electric shock feeling upon landing it, I know to use my cane till it loosens up. Layla, my aunt has both knees replaced quite a few years ago, and fell and fell and broke her hip 3 years ago. She rehabbed better than me, lol, and now uses no assistance devices. She's tough as nails.
Today was okay, I cleaned out a closet, no cane today, but my usual tooth achy feeling when bending a lot. My biggest problem today was 55° here, rain, cold, and 5 hrs south by Columbus Ohio where my sister lives, it was 90° and sunny. Tomorrow the same. Shes also out of the snow belt. Just 5 hours south...:chinstroke:It is like that a lot, I watch her temps all winter's. Before my surgery, I have been known to drive down there when it is so cold here and warmer there and stay a few days.

OP
OP
Cecropia

Cecropia

graduate
Country
And I hate the new changes... :dubious:

ceezee

graduate
Country
I agree. I like it that the font is bigger but I sure miss the types of likes. They were so helpful. They took the Facebook route and oversimplified it. And like you say, made it less serious and professional.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Good Morning @Cecropia

I'm sorry you're getting that shooting pain at times. It has to be unnerving, never knowing what to expect. My grandma was a tough woman just as your aunt. Fell and broke her hip in her 90's and barely seemed to skip a beat.
Lived one month past her 100th birthday.

At just over five months post op, there is still healing going on which I'm sure you've heard as nauseum. I hope you find solace in that. You seem fairly active in spite of it all and thankfully you're not in constant pain.

How nice that your sister is within driving distance. I can imagine wanting to escape from the Upper MidWest winters to her home since she's out of the snow belt. Nice option to have and sister time is always fun!

I hope you have a lovely - and pain free- Thursday!

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Your Aunt sounds amazing @Cecropia Hope it’s in your genes! I have similar nerve jolt you’re describing. Glad to know it’s not abnormal. I’m pretty sure nerves are just trying to heal. My backside especially took awhile to come around. I loved Arizona when I visited. At the time I lived in Denver. Still feel like Colorado is in my soul despite living in VA for years. Love the crisp air at night and the way sound travels at night. Glad you brought it home with you in your decorating preferences.

Be well! :bicycle1:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Scouty
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom