THR Cocoon to moth

@Cecropia you are doing really well, sorry that the muscle pain is still lingering. Glad you got to visit your brother, a change of scenery is always good. Walking 3miles is really good, hope to get there myself. I've actually learned at PT to like the recumbent bike now, didn't used to pay them much attention st the gym before.

Happy that you're pretty much back to living your life and doing the things you love. It's always good to hear from you whether on your thread or someone else's, you have a good outlook on life and it's good that you share.
:flwrysmile:
 
@Elf1 Your post was so nice. And nice that you like the recumbent bike at PT. When I started walking for distance I dug out my hiking poles. So many people on here are using them, and they really do get you going farther....so maybe give them a try when the weather cools down in Texas and you are ready for some outdoor walking....
 
@Cecropia hello! I think you are doing very well. The gluteal muscles are tough people, and there will come the day where you’ll be tooling around and realize you don’t have that discomfort any longer!
Walking 3 miles with your poles sounds very reasonable/wonderful and can I just say? You will be missed on here!
I hope you do stay around to update us. Even if it’s to say it’s the same, but we do understand if you just want a break.
I’m slower, much slower with this second hip and now realize just how fortunate I was with the first one!
I’m a few days over 7 weeks and still on the cane with very sore muscles, too. I think I’ll re-read your thread from the beginning and refresh my memory.
Except mine are anterior muscles. Feels like they used a huge crowbar to “gently spread” them....
And seriously am tripping over my cane and hating it for most of the day. :rotfl: :bignono:
 
Such a wonderful update @Cecropia I am so pleased to read how well you are doing. :SUNsmile: Your visit with you brother sounded so nice and relaxing. Three mile walks!!! Amazing. Sorry your muscles are hurting. I’m sure it gets old. Hope your last niggles work out soon. Have really enjoyed your friendship here.

Your post provides encouragement to me. Can’t do most of what you can at 12 weeks. Hopeful to read it does happen. ❤️ Rolling side to side without a pillow sounds pretty incredible. Hope you update now and again. It’s been wonderful sharing the journey. Take care, Sarah
 
Glorious update! I am beginning to see light at the end of this tunnel and reading about you getting pretty much to normal is so encouraging. Not sure I will be doing fishing anytime soon, but can’t wait til I am weight bearing again and can break out the hiking poles and get down on the floor again!
 
Hello :wave:
What a great update! You've jumped back into life which is the goal here. It's understandable you won't be posting much since you're engaged living life...a return to normal. I'm happy for you! :yes!:

It's too bad you're dealing with that pesky pain but thankfully you received an explanation and a timeline you can count on. I understand sitting isn't comfortable, but maybe you'd get some comfort / relief from the pain and inflammation while laying on an ice pack when it's bothering you...

Please do stop by on occasion and let us know how you're doing. We'd love to hear from you. It's been enjoyable following your recovery and we thank you for the support and encouragement you've offered others.
Wishing you all the best!
Hugs :friends:
@Cecropia
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I know you're back enjoying life due to seeing you around here less and less.
That's the goal, back to life, back to living away from all things Hip.
I hope your days are filled with those you love and activity that's fulfilling.
You're on your way! :walking:
@Cecropia
 
@Layla Thank you. For my bonesmart family, My 3 month xray was good on Monday. OS said new hip replacement was in excellent position.
Like others on here when I complained of my buttock pain, he said it was not my hip. Well it's not my hip like as in the new implant, but it has to be muscles or something then, I said. He said early days and give it more time, that I'm in healing stage for up to a year. Not much help.
True, I am back to doing a lot of things I enjoy, but I'm not pain free all day, but I'm using Tylenol 1000mg 2-3 times a day and it takes the edge off a little.
He assured me my walking and exercising was not hurting the implant. Well that was not what I was worried about, lol, how about everything around the implant? Too funny.
Walking outside with hiking poles in the afternoon is the only time I am pain free and that's crazy weird. Sitting and laying down at night I am comfortable.
Good news, no groin, cup, or thigh pain, those areas seem to have healed. Just butt muscles pain that seems relentless.
I started using my cane again, but not everyday, it helps take the pressure off the op leg when it is especially sore. I walk upright with no limp, that's good.
And he gave me reassurance that I won't hurt anything getting in and out of my kayak, so that might be my next excursion, though I'm a little nervous, but excited.
:kayak:
 
It has been quite a ride and you are returning to your life. I feel you would like more maybe just as before and the glute pain is troublesome(massage?)but walking 3 miles and kayaking wow do you realize the gains? It is from a different prospective when one had no pain prior and was doing all the things she loved and now feels she cant. It is a grieving process. But I firmly believe you will find that and more maybe differently but I believe you will be satisfied and happy.You have been a wonderful support always a kind word and a charming disposition illuminating this site. Be well, move towards your goals with patience, perseverance and joy. It's there for you.
 
Well, despite all the ongoing pain in your buttock, @Cecropia it does sound like you've gained back a lot of functionality and have times of the day when--hurray--you're not experiencing any pain. And walking 3 miles a day? That's fabulous! I know you want everything to be at 100%, and like NOW, but when I read all the positive markers above, it does sound like you've done phenomenally well--so hurray for you! And FYI, I have read NO posts where someone is celebrating how great they feel in the mornings. The fact that you are able to get up and move around to loosen up those muscles is a real positive. Focus on how well you're doing and have faith that the lingering issues will, indeed, be resolved in time. Best to you!
 
You're Welcome!

Wonderful news in regard to your check up and x-ray. I'm wondering if Piriformis has been mentioned by your surgeon, or if you've read the following article from the Library. Check it out and see if it matches the pain you describe - https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/piriformis-syndrome-a-pain-in-the-butt.9837/

You sound like you're doing well aside from the pesky pain in the rear. Hopefully it eases so you're able to move forward pain free. Please keep in touch and let us know if it's improving.
A great holiday weekend to you!
@Cecropia
 
Personally I think you are doing very well at just three months out. Longer scars particularly involving the buttock are a “pain in the A” to recover from.

The walking is very helpful and the hiking sticks do help with keeping the back straight.

From personal experience I was a lot better after six months and could do most of what I did before the op but still with stiffness after sitting for a while. So wound have to stand up, squeeze glutes and do a few calve stretches. This all helped. I took paracetemol for the stiffness as recommended by Jo.

Now a year on things are better still but I still get some pain if overdo things. Hence my comment to Mojo in my thread about long term recovery.

Please do update once you are back to kayaking. I am pretty sure I can get into one but getting out might be “fun”!
 
14 week update, something new to report. Today I mowed the front yard with my gas powered push mower while my husband mowed the back with the rider. Before hip problems I always mowed the front by hand for exercise. 100' wide by about 40' deep.
It felt good to be out mowing again. I love mowing the lawn since I was a kid. I don't feel any worse pain wise.
It just felt good and my energy level is excellent even if my hip is not quite on track yet.:happydance:
 
@Cecropia that is great! You've still got healing time before everything is back to normal. I know practicing patience isn't as easy as it sounds!.
:heehee:
 
Hard to believe that you "love" mowing, @Cecropia, but then again I'm sure it's satisfying and the smell of fresh mown grass is so sweet. What an accomplishment to get out and do that, without suffering any ill effects. I bet you were smiling to yourself afterwards--you're rocking away with this recovery!
 
:hi: Happy Wednesday....thanks for the update. :)
Wonderful accomplishment to meet those goals, getting back to the familiar and the activities that fulfill us. I love the smell of freshly mowed grass...Summertime! At least in my neck of the woods. The sound of lawn mowers will soon be replaced by the sound of shovels and ice choppers hitting the pavement. Ugh! I just depressed myself. :snow plough:
Great to read your energy level is good too. A pleasant Wednesday to you!
@Cecropia
 
@Barbaraj I used to beg my dad to let me mow the lawn, but my brother did it growing up. He was 7 years older than me, so when he got a job, got busy with college, I was about 11 and I took over mowing. I loved mowing beautiful straight paths, it was like decorating the lawn and I still do love it and I hate people that just mow in weird swathes that are all jagged and wretched looking with no rhythm. lol.
@Layla I hate winter, and don't remember enjoying it much as a child either. It depresses me and I do suffer from SAD seasonal affective disorder. I will be getting my light box out soon and using it in the mornings till spring. I would love to move south but that will never happen, too many obstacles to contend with and just feel a little late in life to relocate after living in the same house for 47 years. So I do hate shoveling snow too. Eck.....lol
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom