Guest viewing is limited

THR Cocoon to moth

Aww, I'm sorry you had to give up roller skating. Please don't get rid of your skates yet, it's part of your story. I can appreciate that you'll miss it but at least you were able to experience it. We evolve throughout life and you can use this opportunity to take up something new to replace any time you would have spent skating. It's like anything else we loved but outgrew. You still have the memories to cherish for life. :console2:
@Cecropia
 
@mainegirl1 So my OS said no more rollerskating or cross country skiing. I thought about snowshoeing? Do you fall easy doing that? I am okay at cross country skiing, but I always manage to fall, so definitely need to give that up. I'm still upset about rollerskating tho, done it all my life, I don't fall, but then if I did, ummmm, not sure I want to take the chance, the floor is pretty hard. I cried again today, opened the closet for something and there were my skates where I left them in January when I did not yet feel pain from my hip while skating. I need to get rid of them...:cry:
So do you feel pretty balanced in snowshoes? Just curious.....
Oh when you are learning its possible to stomp on the bottom shoe with the top and do a faceplant.. I am curious why your OS said no to rollerskating or cross country skiing? Fall avoidance? Mine said nothing like that. Or is this a precaution during the period your bone is growing around the femoral part of the appliance?
I think that with falls being avoided no one in Maine would be getting any hip replacement.. Its common to fall in the winter on the ice. We however know HOW to fall. Or is there another issue like bone density for you? I haven't ever even had a broken bone on my own.. They have all been done by surgeons.. We are all different.

Snowshoeing is more like waddling like a duck so no falls are not prevalent once you get the hang of it. And if you ski you know how to roll and fall on your side ( though my neighbor fell with full extension of feet over head waterskiing and she is a good snowskier and now her doc said don't do that again as there isnt enough hamstring muscle to attach more hardware to)

I found lots of references to skating post THR on the Internet .. Some sources of course questionable. But this one may be relevant https://www.northwesternorthopaedicinstitute.com/pdfs/activity-after-hip-replacement.pdf[URL]https://www.northwesternorthopaedicinstitute.com/pdfs/activity-after-hip-replacement.pdf[/URL]
 
Last edited:
@mainegirl1 Thanks for all the information. Yes his concern was falling and hurting the new implant, because then I would need a revision and more complicated even after it is been seated well. I roller skate with the 4 wheels shoes. But you are going fairly fast to the music and if you fell it would be hard, the floor is hardwood where I skate. I've not fallen since childhood, but I'm really apprehensive now. There are a lot of crazy skaters, reckless skaters, not all abide by the rules. Sigh...never worried before....but now I am concerned. Maybe I'll go back to bowling, I used to bowl on a league years ago, loved it. ❤
 
Sorry bout that Cecropia. I imagine that the things you love to do and can't is ofttimes soul-crushing but take this as a chance to find new things to do. I am an avid reader and was highly active--camping, hiking, canoeing. I am seizing this opportunity to find a new path--bird watching, light hiking, walking all within reason --more zen--no extremes, quietly and with dignity and integrity and peacefully. I am trying to live life causing the least impact to the environment and diminishing my carbon footprint.These are my goals.
 
I would still bring up the roller skating issue with him as he may not know that you are accomplished.. Or there may be a time frame for healing and bone to fuse..
My OS after knee said no skiing.. When I said I had been skiing for 55 years he changed his tune except to avoid tight radius turns and moguls. ( which I outgrew years ago!)
 
I agree with maine girl - I would discuss your skating with your surgeon again. These implants are pretty tough. Once you are fully healed I would not think skating or cross country skiing would be a problem. But I'm not a medical expert - just a double hippie.
 
:bawl::hairpulling: :beg:Every year it's my tradition, forever I've picked about 24 quarts of strawberries or more at the patch every year for my husband's sugar free freezer jam and my smoothies for a year kept in baggies in freezer. The strawberries are in, people are picking. I'm all out, buying them at Sam's club, not the same.:sos:
So what to do....:shrug: My hip, nah, she says no picking...:bignono:
So I just called my berry lady and for the first time ever I placed an order to buy them picked for me....oh feels so weird....I love picking strawberries out in the country on the farm, peaceful, wonderful, nature at best, eat some while I pick. :heehee: And I want a homemade strawberry pie..:roseshwr:
My order will be ready next Monday. With my husband's help I got this... I promised my hip I would be careful, sit in a chair to hull and take breaks to do the rest. She said oooookkkkaaayyy.....
I can taste them already...:happydance:
 
Glad you're getting your fresh strawberries from your berry lady. Know you'd rather be out picking them yourself but for this year you'll have to go this route. Now you have me wanting strawberries! :snork:
 
@Cecropia I commiserate with you. Grrrrr...It’s those little things that make this recovery period so frustrating. But I’m so glad you were able to get them even if you couldn’t pick them. They’re going to make your kitchen smell heavenly. And I can almost taste the pie. Do you make your own crust?

I WANT PIE!!!!

I’m hoping that when this whole process is over I’ll remember how important the little things are.
 
@Elf1. If you weren't so far away I'd bring you a pie for your recovery. My brother got some berries at the store and made a strawberry pie and brought me a piece the first week of my recovery. Gosh it was good. His recipe is different than the one I use but it was fabulous!:happydance:
 
Here's a little reading I thought may interest you after I read a post of yours on another's thread -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tkr-or-thr-which-is-more-difficult-surgery-for-recovery.14140/

You said you were feeling a little grumpy today. :sad: Cheer up, it's all good! Surgery is behind you and happy days are here again. Well, at least they're on there way, closer and closer every day.
My hubs always says "it's a good day when you wake up breathing" :rotfl:
I wasn't sure there was any other way to wake up, lol. :shrug:
I hope your mood lifts and you have a wonderful day. A flower just for you :flwrysmile:
@Cecropia
 
@Layla I might do that...thanks...
You do make me laugh....:giggle:
I will read it...
I went out to the shed and drug out my chaise lounge, put a cushion on it and moved it to the shade, its 80 here. I fell asleep here in the shade and just woke up. That's a first....I never fall asleep outside in a chair. I must be unusually tired today. I wonder how many bugs crawled into my mouth? My husband said it was open.:rotfl:
 
Last edited:
Sounds like you are doing great @Cecropia Those berries are going to taste great! Love your open mouth nap story. I’m still napping regularly. Never ever did that before. May keep that after I’ve recovered. Naps are so good! Be even better with a piece of your berry pie when you wake up.
 
:wave:Well I posted my strawberry pie crust and glaze and strawberry filling recipe in the community recipe section, after layla stated there was a place to put it if I wanted to. So why not??? lol. It's a nice and easy recipe.:flwrysmile:
 
I think it's great that you did that! That dusty thread was back a few pages and now that it's in the forefront it may get some action.

Also, there may be some member's who use your recipe without ever sharing they've tried it.
Maybe one will take it to their State Fair and win a Blue Ribbon :heehee:
@Cecropia
 
Hey :wave:it's a special day...
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hope the sky is blue, the sun is shining and the weather is just how you like it.
Wishing you a wonderful day and weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Cecropia
 
@Layla Thanks. I have good days and some less good days but no real bad days.
Today I hoed and weeded my flower beds. I felt no pain and can bend down easier. I'm still up and down, but will accept the good and the not so good days and plunge ahead.
I'm getting stronger every day. When I say that it reminds me of "A Christmas Carol" with George C Scott. When Tiny Tim says "I'm getting stronger every day". I love that movie.....❤ And somethings are healing as I was able to lay on my soft loveseat and watch TV last night. Before when I tried it out everything hurt and I got up real fast, as it was very uncomfortable, too soft I guess. Now I can lay there. :loveshwr:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom