TKR Cococay in pre-op

I know they all mean well- but- my Family my friends my coworkers have all been non stop drilling me that I must do PT right away and as much as possible etc etc. I don’t want to debate with everyone though
I had this, too, and it frustrated me so much after I learned from Bonesmart that that is not only unnecessary but also not advised. Like you I didn’t want to debate with them so I gritted my teeth instead and stewed! If there’s a next time for me I will try to be more like @sistersinhim , when people asked if she was doing her PT she would just nod and give some kind of non committal answer, because she knew that doing our ADLs (activities of daily living) is just like PT, but in a more natural and timely manner.

It‘s hardly worth trying to talk to most people about our gentle way to recover as they just don’t want to hear it or believe it. But you are ahead of the recovery game already, as you’ve found Bonesmart before your surgery and have been educated on a gentle approach that does indeed work, so you know what to expect and what to guard yourself against. I didn’t find Bonesmart until 4 weeks post op, after some rough PT sessions, that I thought I had to comply with. You got this!

Well @Cococay your big day is almost here! I’m excited for you to get this portion behind you and be on your way to healing and recapturing life as you knew it before the pain set in. You’re going to love the result.

I agree with, Jockette, on the benefits of finding BoneSmart ahead of time and educating yourself through threads and articles. I found it a great comfort to know the forum was at my fingertips and that someone would always respond within a timely manner with sensitivity, compassion and support. I think BoneSmart has saved many a surgeon’s office unnecessary phone calls over the “little things” we all question in those early days and weeks.

As far as PT goes, consider responding to the Helpy Helpington’s dispensing advice that they need not worry, you are following your surgeons instructions for a smooth recovery. Hopefully it will quiet them.

Wishing you comfort and peace as you await Tuesday. Will look forward to your first post op update once you’re feeling up to it.

Thank you both!!!! I feel like I’m so nervous I’m just kind of in this limbo - just waiting and thinking. I have to be at the hospital at 645a Tuesday. I’m working tomorrow-from home though. Not sure how it will stay focused on it but- who knows maybe it will help.

Aww, I’m sorry. The waiting is the worst part. Once you’re so close to your scheduled date you just want it over with. I believe if they would have called me on any day in the weeks leading up to my surgery and said there was a cancellation I would have jumped at the chance to rid myself of the pre-op anxiety.

Look at it this way....with each passing hour you’re a little closer to having surgery behind you and being back home resting in your comfy recovery nest. Not long now.

I’m trying really hard to be patient- because I know they all mean well- but- my Family my friends my coworkers have all been non stop drilling me that I must do PT right away and as much as possible etc etc. I don’t want to debate with everyone though- I just am gonna only do what my body wants—allows. But I have a feeling that they all will push it way more after surgery.
Tell them when they have TKR they can decide for themselves how to recover @Cococay, but this is your knee and your life. Don't allow someone else to guilt you into suffering pain you don't need to. Just smile and nod, tell them you are working hard in PT, they won't know any different and you won't suffer.

Hi @Cococay

I’m just checking in to say that I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Sending lots of good thoughts to you. Look forward to hearing how you are very soon.:)

Just letting you know some therapists are better than others!! I just got rid of mine since she felt the pain I am dealing with is a result of taking medication prior to surgery. Only problem with that everyone with the exception of her agrees with me. She has a nickname of Drill Sergeant go figure!!
By the way really want to wish you the best tomorrow!! Will be thinking of you!!

Thank you guys so much. I am really nervous.... I thought that I was ok - I had already over-thought all my worries- but- today I keep thinking of so many things.... I guess that is normal though- and at this point I just need to get through.

You got this and we will be waiting on the other side @Cococay.

There is probably your a nervous wreck right about now? Hopefully your doing okay I know at least for me the night before and the day of nerves were shot. You have been given great advice and even after the constant reassurances you still have doubts. I truly believe your going to do well very few wind up like me. Please keep in mind when you wake up in recovery let the nurse know if your in pain. It may take sometime for surgery meds to wear off but when they do not fun. There is no need to act brave if it hurts it hurts after surgery the next most important thing is proper pain management. No matter what they give you your still going to hurt unfortunately nothing is perfect but the idea is have the pain at a tolerable level. Really want to wish you the best!! Looking forward to when your able to post about how it all went.

@Cococay All the best today! See you on the other side soon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom