TKR Cococay in pre-op

It seems that nobody has experience With the edema... I will be making an appt and I think I will do it before the preop.
My Mom today told me She wants to take me for manicure and pedicure. My Family is incredibly supportive- I don’t t think I’d be able to go through this if they werent. I feel really blessed.
I’ve never done pedicures-but wondering-if I do have that done while there- do you think there’s risk of infection by doing that? I don’t want to risk it if there is.
Sorry if this is not an appropriate question to ask on here. If it is I apologize and please ignore...

I’ve never done pedicures-but wondering-if I do have that done while there- do you think there’s risk of infection by doing that?
Assuming the professional uses the correct sterilising procedures there should be no risk of infection. Enjoy the time with your Mom!

Hi Cocoay! I’m new to the site too! It’s been very helpful. I’m sorry for what you are going through-glad you are having surgery soon! I’m born and raised in NY, been living out here in Iowa for 20 years. I’m 62 and my world has gotten so small in the last 12 years, I can’t walk anymore. I have to have both knees done TKR and new knee caps. I’m scared. I had my hip replaced and that went really well! Then my surgeon couldn’t decide between hip, back ( need cadaver bone riot & cage) or knees.Basically I’m disintegrating ( I say becoming a mermaid) Did hip now knees. I live alone. I am worried about recovering by myself, especially in times of Covid! My survey isn’t until Feb 3. They wanted to do in Dec but I need to prepare. You have family around, a good support system, you are young, you will regain your life!! I am getting everything at home ready as per following the list on here! I am doing post op pt pre op to strengthen up those same muscles - a lot of the exercises are what I did for hip too) I’m taking more zinc, vit d and ester c along with my daily vitamin to support immune system and wound healing. I’m eating more protein and a whey protein shake a day. By 1 month before I will be doing even more fiber to help w post op medication constipation. I would say the one thing I learned, have people help w housework cuz just changing bedsheets and “ throwing in a load of laundry” doing some dishes is exhausting! Much luck! I ll be checking out your threads!

That is so smart to start taking supplements now- I never thought about that but I might now- improving immunity in these times is critical-thank you for the idea.

When I was pre-op my spinal surgery the Theatres (Operating Room) Director suggested I drink one of those probiotic yogurt drinks daily to boost the immune system. I started and never stopped.

You might want to ask your family doctor what supplements would be appropriate.

I’ve been looking through old threads about this- I live alone. My Parents want me to stay with them after surgery- they’ve both had TKR so they feel I will need help. I’m really grateful but honestly I really want to just go home to my little townhouse after. Anyone live alone that went home after surgery have any tips?

I live alone as well, and although there are many comments from others who live alone and had few problems, I have wondered how I will make out after surgery. Pets need tending to, laundry, etc.

Do your parents live close enough to help with things if needed?

I have been thru this surgery way too many times end of Dec will hopefully be the last one?? Its not impossible to do this on your own but its a lot easier when there is someone to help. Hate to say this but reality your knee is going to hurt as in really hurt. The first week is by far the worst but it does get better. Unless you have a high pain tolerance getting up is going to be a chore for that matter moving it as in going from laying in bed or sofa to standing you will feel it. Not trying to scare anyone away from doing this on your own but having someone to help will make your life easier. I am on the fence whether or not I want help but having been thru this numerous times I know what to expect. I may have my daughter help for the first week but still undecided at lot depends on how my surgery goes.

I decided that I will “likely” stay at my Parents for the first 1-2 nights and then go from there. They live 15 minutes away so very close.
ive been doing a lot of thinking and readjusting of expectations. I had all these ideals of how I wanted it to go. I’m realizing the key word is wanted- so I’m trying very hard to being ok with the fact it’s all out of my control but it’s temporary. -that is assuming I don’t have major issues like some others who have needed repeated revisions.

It is helpful to have the ice, food and pills fetched (and kept track of), pillows adjusted and just someone around for the first couple of days if you can get it. But you will be able to get up and move around too.

I am grateful I have the help available- there house gets a bit crazy with my Brothers and there families over often -and they watch my Niece and Nephew a couple times a week- but honestly- I don’t know why I’ve been so stubborn and resistant to accepting help- I guess I think it’s the only thing I feel I can control with this whole situation but after all the same feedback I really did some thinking and I’m trying hard not to be like that - I am sure I will need the help -so I’m going to be grateful I have so much support. After all no matter what I plan for all means nothing in the grand scheme of things.
It sounds like the ice machine is a must have? Is this something I buy or rent and do I need a prescription for it?

If your insurance will cover it the " Game Ready " is awesome, it is my absolute favorite part of therapy!!! If not look on Amazon for GEL Pack Ice Wrap for knee there are plenty avg. cost approx 25.00 but its money well spent unlike other ice packs this wraps around knee rather than reusable ice packs its much softer ( fits around knee better ). I currently use mine thru out the day even thinking of getting a 2nd one that way if needed and the other isn't cold enough yet have a back up. There is no real way to sugar coat how your going to feel ( wish I could but I hate lying ) but really while yes its is going to hurt the first week is the worst. The pain is not going to by some miracle go away but after 2-3 months you will feel much better and by 6 months ( provided everything goes well ) you will be well on your way, you may even find yourself giving advice to those that are just like you wondering what to expect. One thing to keep in mind just because I have had my share of revisions etc does not mean you will.

Right now I use a heating pad on my knee. I feel like ice would make it worse- nobody has mentioned heat post op -but what about preop- is ice better then too?

This is the way I have been told and it works for me. Heat is good if you have sore muscles sprain but if you have inflammation pain swelling ice is the way to go. Yes I tried heat way back when and it made my knee hurt worse now all I use is ice.
Odds are when you have your surgery besides being groggy knee all wrapped up they will ice on it or they will some form of an ice wrap along with the cold it compresses the idea is to help with the swelling. Some do not like ice personally if there was no such thing as pain meds ice would be # 1 pick!!
Not trying to make light of your questions concerns but back when I had my first TKR I was clueless on what to expect and I had all sorts of questions the one thing I didn't have was this forum to go to. As far as surgeries go its a major surgery I think back surgery has to be worse but this one is no joke. Only thing different between you and me I know what to expect from the moment I wake up and what to expect after words.
My biggest concern and yes it scares the heck out of me, I have had 6 total knee replacements last revision was last Dec. because of the amount of surgeries they had to use longer prosthetics. When they take X-Rays on my knee they have to take extra to get the whole implant on the xray. Now my concern to take this implant out is going to be more involved odds are there is going to be some bone loss as well bottom line its going to take longer and the time to recover is going to be longer. Whether it comes across or not yes this surgery is bugging me. Yours will be much easier and you will do fine!!

1st- wondering if anyone else is concerned electives will be cancelled/postponed? They just added curfews to restaurants and are stopping hybrid school and going fully distance learning and apparently the ICU’s here are like 97% - my coworkers daughters knee surgery was just put off due to covid so now I’m a month away and I’m worried that I will end up being put off at the last minute. Anyone else ?
2nd- so- my surgery is my left knee as that is the one that’s pretty much made me close to immobile. My right is also bone on bone but aside from occasional stiffness it’s just fine. Until today- out of nowhere I stepped on it and had sudden pain behind my knee. I had to stop - cuz I can’t do much with my left so I felt stuck but it quickly became bearable. Then walking a few feet tonight - to my bathroom - when I put weight on my right knee I had sudden severe pain - mostly the inner right side but it’s pain I’ve never had. I can barely put weight on it- but ultimately I did cuz I have to in order to move. I’m not trying to whine about pain cuz every one here has pain. I bring it up wondering if anyone has had similar or ideas for me? My OS mentioned to me something about him thinking the way I’ve gotten to bone on bone he figures about 10 years so my early 30s- he asked if anyone’s mentioned another form of arthritis- but never said much more about it - but it has me wondering-is it worth looking into- I mean would the outcome change anything?

Last edited:
Is your surgeon planning on doing the surgery on an outpatient basis, where you would likely go home the same day? If a hospital stay is not needed, then the surgery will likely stay on schedule.

I am bone on bone also in my right knee, and sometimes I get a jab of pain when I take a hard step or twist it a little bit when walking. I have found that wearing a knee sleeve that is not too tight helps with the stability and has eliminated some of the pain when walking. Also, it just makes my knee feel better when wearing it.

Last edited:
Thank you for replying.! My surgery will be inpatient, they won’t do it outpatient for some reason.
I wear a brace on my left knee now- I never thought of wearing one on the right also but that may be an excellent idea.

1st- wondering if anyone else is concerned electives will be cancelled/postponed? They just added curfews to restaurants and are stopping hybrid school and going fully distance learning and apparently the ICU’s here are like 97% - my coworkers daughters knee surgery was just put off due to covid so now I’m a month away and I’m worried that I will end up being put off at the last minute. Anyone else ?
Yup, I'm definitely concerned about this, right this very minute. Our governor is expected to announce a return to a lot of restrictions this morning at 11:00 AM PST (about 20 minutes from now). I know it's likely to be primarily around things like restaurants and entertainment venues, but with the uptick in cases in the last two weeks, I know the load on the hospitals have been going up, as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if these so-called "elective" surgeries are shut down again, too. My surgeon doesn't do same-day outpatient - he's usually a 1-3 night sort, as he wants to make sure you're clear of the anesthesia or sedation and get you both a visit from OT and PT before you go.

Obviously, I will deal with it if it happens, but I'd really rather get this over with!

2nd- so- my surgery is my left knee as that is the one that’s pretty much made me close to immobile. My right is also bone on bone but aside from occasional stiffness it’s just fine. Until today- out of nowhere I stepped on it and had sudden pain behind my knee. I had to stop...
That's exactly the kind of thing that caused me to get an articulated brace for my left knee earlier this year - it was truly out of the blue. I stepped down one step - no twisting, no hard landing, no lack of balance, just stepped down and it went "POP!" and shot sharp pain through my knee, and the leg wanted to collapse.

1st- wondering if anyone else is concerned electives will be cancelled/postponed? They just added curfews to restaurants and are stopping hybrid school and going fully distance learning and apparently the ICU’s here are like 97% - my coworkers daughters knee surgery was just put off due to covid so now I’m a month away and I’m worried that I will end up being put off at the last minute. Anyone else?
Absolutely I am concerned. Here in Canada our numbers stabilized late August and into September but, with the colder weather and holidays we are seeing dramatic increases in Covid cases. My city of just over 100K now has 37 active cases in 5 days when all summer we only had 1-2 a week. I have had my surgery cancelled once already (I'm having it done in a larger center 17 hr drive) and just know that electives there will be cancelled again delaying my surgery. I am praying this doesn't happen but prepared for the news if it does.

This happened to me in March when all elective surgeries were shut down. This time in my city it so far looks to be facility by facility. Specialty orthopaedic hospitals that don't treat covid patients seem likely to remain open. Hospitals seem to feel they have gotten the process of keeping non-covid patients safe down and the elective surgeries help pay the bills. But if they don't have the staff or beds they most likely will start postponing some surgeries.

If it happens, I'd ask questions about how they plan to go about rescheduling and how you can move up the list, especially since you are suffering quite a bit. You might also ask if your surgeon operates at another location that will still be open. I know some communities may do this more community wide than mine.

Hang in there. It's a tough time.

I have 2 questions that have come up from reading others threads-
** regarding the ACL and PCL during TKR- someone asked about if they are saved during surgery and a link to a whole article with tons of info was given so I read it - —so out of curiosity- would a person usually know if it’s likely the ACL-PCL are bad or is it fairly common that the degeneration of the knee impacts them?
** regarding infection risk. So much thought is put into reducing all infection risk which just seems like good general practice- and I know having infection spread to the knee after replacement-can be dangerous. Is the worry due to having a knee replacement -if you get infection -because of how bad it can get. OR does having knee replacement actually make one more susceptible to infection? So to put in perspective- if I get a scrape or cut somewhere or say a little sore in my mouth - does the basic fact that I will have had knee replacement increase that risk of infection ? Or is it the fear that any infection could potentially go to the knee rather then having had a replacement making it more likely infection would travel to the knee? The question came across a lot better in my head - :loll:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom