Guest viewing is limited

TKR Cococay in pre-op

I don’t know about knees, but as far as my hip went, xrays often don’t tell the whole story. My xrays indicated bone loss but once they got in there, they found the bone stock was much better than they had anticipated so they were able to give me an uncemented prosthesis. I suspect they don’t make their final decision until they see the actual lay of the land.
 
Docs are different. Some have a preferred brand. Mine told me that though he estimates what size he'll need ahead he makes the final decision when he's in there.

No good doctor or PA will object to questions. Ask by phone, ask for another appointment to answer questions, ask every question you have. I think the information phase is so routine for them that they don't know if they've explained something to you. Kind of like my Mom telling one of her 8 children the same family news multiple times but missing the others. So don't feel bad asking.
 
Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in having been thru too many TKR's its not impossible to manage on your own but I can assure you the first week is not going to be fun in fact anything but. My suggestion if you have family or friends that can offer to help take it. Getting around is going to be tough. You are going to be on crutches the knee is going to be very tender. If you do decide to do it on your own make sure you have easy access to everything whether thru door ways halls etc. It can be done but its a challenge.
 
Hi everyone—
I was already worried about missing work after surgery and have “planned” to be off one week and then work from home week 2. I can pretty much stay at my desk after surgery if needed for a bit while recovering but it’s a few steps entering the building and then 25 stairs to get to my desk——which is almost not possible now- it’s a big struggle daily but somehow I have managed- it’s super embarrassing though to me.
But for after surgery that really concerns me and I worry that is what will prevent me from my plan for returning.
but I also found out that I’m required to have a covid test 6-8 days before surgery- which I expected but what surprised me that I just found out is once I test I’m required to self quarantine until surgery- that extra week off is gonna really hurt financially and keeping up with my work. Anyone else having to do this? I’m afraid to not listen- I work in a residential treatment facility- and that could add to risk I guess. I feel... i don’t know I guess I’m not sure- but I really just don’t want to be out that week.
 
So sorry to hear about that! This whole process is expensive, time-consuming, and stress-inducing. However, I expect in the end it will be worth it, so on we go!

I understand the impacts of being out that week (I'm also not able to take paid leave, though I fortunately work from home), but it would be a risk, not just for you, but others at the hospital you're going to, right? So if you decide to take the risk of not obeying, you're forcing others to unknowingly take the risk, as well, and they didn't get to decide whether to take it.

Virtual hugs - it's a rough decision to have to make!
 
As much as I want to ignore the instructions-I won’t. There’s a reason they have that as a requirement. I was curious if others are being told the same though....
I hope my job will allow me to work from home that week....
 
My fingers are crossed for you! I have the advantage of working from home at a computer 100%, so I can work right up to the day before, but I expect I'll have to quarantine after my COVID test - I'll find out when that is when I go to my pre-op appointment on the 5th. I also plan to be "back at work" by a week after the surgery, maybe sooner, so wish me luck!
 
Hi, I am a very active 60 year old who is 14 days post Right TKR. I was in Crossfit 5 days a week this time last year. Everything you are feeling is normal. Lots of us have had sudden onset on debilitating knee pain. If you look back there was warning signs but we carry on as life needs to be lived, right?

I chose a surgeon who uses the robotic arm guided by the software that obtained measurements based on the 3D CT scan. These measurements obtained by the CT scan and software can reduce tissue trauma that is done in a TKR. Stryker makes this robotic arm. The surgeon does the surgery with the robotic arm, but the robotic arm will not allow the surgeon to go outside the parameters set by the software.

A femoral nerve block was placed after the surgery while the spinal was still working. I had no pain when I woke up. I was beyond nervous as I’m an ER nurse of 38 years. But everything and everyone was kind and patient with high standards of professionalism.

I am reading that you want to be alone after surgery. I agree with the lady who stated extra help afterwards is nice. If you have an ice machine please note they are pretty big and heavy with ice/water. The machine needs new ice about every 4 hours. I could not have done this alone. My bedroom is far away from the freezer. My husband has to go to the store every 3-4 days to pick up more ice bags. Do you have a freezer in your garage? My freezer holds 6 plus bags of ice.

My husband helped me keep my medications straight. You have to set alarms to give pain medications every 4 hours the first 2 weeks. Can you place a bed close to your kitchen? (Dining room or living room). That way you can get food easily and ice. You are exhausted, tired, recovering from surgery and need rest. Someone to help for a week is ideal!! Learning how to get around on the operative leg is slow and painful at times. I would have not wanted to do this alone.

On day #10 the pain decreased suddenly. I cant tell you how relieved I am!! Please think about having someone help you for a week. I wanted finger foods while laying in bed. I ate lots of crackers the first 3 days. The narcotics decrease your appetite sometimes. It is nice to rest and have someone help you. Getting up to the bathroom is about all you can do the first 4-5 days. You sleep .... thank goodness!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to give you bad info but having been thru 6 TKR's and having another end of Dec. I can assure you the odds of sitting in a desk for any length of time will be rough. I understand the importance of being able to work but you need to understand unless your extremely fortunate the last thing your going to want to do is move that knee. A typical timeline for me once I get home from hospital start PT after 1 week ( sometimes sooner ) start inhome therapy the first couple of weeks are no fun but after 2 to 3 weeks your able to take short walks as in 1 or 2 blocks maybe. Stairs will be a challenge your knee will be weak and it takes time to build muscles back up. The way I take steps up with the good down with the bad. The first month is the worst ( been thru this way too many times ) but it will get better. After a month start outpatient therapy which can last 2 to 3 months. Your goals are great but reality may be different one thing is for certain if you do too much you will know it this takes time.
 
I am having a LTKR on 12/3. I also have to have a Covid test prior to surgery and will need to quarantine after the test. My test will be done on 11/30 and it's being done at the hospital where I will have the surgery. The scheduler said that the test will be available in their system by the time I show up on the 3rd. I'm lucky that it's only a 3 day quarantine. Is there a reason the test needs to be done 6-8 days prior? Maybe you could have the test closer to your surgery date? I'm going to use my quarantine time to cook and freeze meals even though my husband is a great cook. But it will occupy my time. I wish you luck. By the way, I had a RTKR 2 years ago and did very well .
 
Last edited:
I was already worried about missing work after surgery and have “planned” to be off one week and then work from home week 2. I can pretty much stay at my desk after surgery if needed for a bit while recovering but it’s a few steps entering the building and then 25 stairs to get to my desk——which is almost not possible now- it’s a big struggle daily but somehow I have managed- it’s super embarrassing though to me.
But for after surgery that really concerns me and I worry that is what will prevent me from my plan for returning.
@Cococay - I'm sorry to do this, but it's time to get real.
There is no way you are going to be fit enough to return to work at only 2 weeks after having a TKR, even if you work from home.

Sitting at a desk all the time is not an option. You'll need to get up about once an hour, to walk a little, or else you'll get unbelievably stiff.

You will also need to elevate and ice your leg, or your knee is going to swell more and your pain is going to increase.

Add to that the post-op brain fog that many people experience, when you can't think straight, and the Energy drain for TKRs when you'll feel so tired you can't do anything.

Have you saved up any leave, or could you time your surgery around public holidays, so you don't need to take so much personal leave?

Knee replacement is not a surgery you can bounce back from in just a couple of weeks. It's a year-long recovery, although you'll be able to do most things long before then.
 
You really need to heed the advice if all goes well as in really well after a month you will be getting around better but I can almost bet if this is your first TKR it will take 3 months before you start feeling like yourself again. Odds are when you get home from the hospital you are going to be in pain and yes you will be given something for the ride home and a script for meds You Will Need Them!!! The first 2 weeks are rough your knee is not going to want to bend and if you think sitting in a chair is going to be okay good luck. If you can use a laptop then laying in bed or on a sofa with leg elevated wrapped in ice its possible but even then your probably not going to be in clearest of minds based on how your feeling. I really wish you well and you are not the first that seems to think this will only take a couple of weeks and you will not be the last. I have been thru this too many times its not easy and you need to have patience.
 
Needless to say this is all very disappointing. I think I’m trying to get myself ready to push and I think it’s good but I don’t want to feel really upset if I don’t make the goals-timelines.
My job is not one that’s meant to work from home- they were being nice saying they would work with me for a week or 2. I’m afraid that if I’m out to long -they’ll decide they don’t need me- and I love my job. But- hearing that every feedback I got said the same thing -I think my time would be better spent figuring out how to be useful at home with my job-so I’m set up for it with a plan-rather than put energy into trying to return right away and then if it doesn’t happen not only am I left feeling like I failed but then I have to rush and somehow make sure I have all I need to work at home. I don’t know if I explained that right.
I’ve heard these stories of amazing recoveries and i think I was feeling like I’m so debilitated now that if I can work through the pain I can do it. But deep down I knew-know a lot of it is wishful thinking. And I need to maybe adjust my thinking to - not expecting that- just hoping for it.
I appreciate everyone’s honest input. This sites so helpful to me and I’m so glad to have this available through this process. It’s a scary ordeal.
but my whole life revolves around my knee. Literally! And although I’m terrified-I’m so excited at the possibility of getting my life back- being able to walk into a store instead of ordering everything. Not going anywhere that I have to walk more than a few feet from my car- How have you guys adapted to this-what helps- in the time between now and surgery and recovery?
 
One thing you can do is make your home ready for once you get back from surgery. Meaning since you will be on crutches you want to make sure pathways are clear. As far as crutches the std crutches that fit under your arm are uncomfortable get the forearm ones trust me they make a big difference. Get yourself a reusable ice pack / wrap, I have a gel pack it has 2 velcro straps ( Amazon has numerous ). Stock up on supplies you will not be going anywhere once you get home. If you have friends / family they can be a big help.
Waiting for the actual surgery date drives me nuts ( still does ) the best thing take your mind off of it ( easier said then done ) but if the knee is driving you nuts yeah its hard. Try and find something to take your mind off of surgery it will be easier for you since this is a new experience for me well I know what to expect and really wish I didn't.
 
Are you entitled to any sick leave? The time you need to recover from this major surgery should really be sick leave, for which your surgeon can give you a certificate.

I think I’m trying to get myself ready to push and I think it’s good but I don’t want to feel really upset if I don’t make the goals-timelines.
The thing is that the more you push to recover fast, the more you slow down your recovery. Your knee will set its own agenda for recovery, so trying to meet artificial goals will be a disheartening and disappointing experience.

While you may have read of the very few people who achieve lightning-fast recoveries, they are part of a very small minority.
Most of us struggle for weeks and months, wishing we could get better sooner.

Even though you're relatively young, unfortunately that isn't going to make your recovery any faster. It takes just as long for a knee to heal from replacement surgery whether you are 18 or 80.
 
I guess I didn’t realize that- I was expecting it to make a big difference.
I only have a couple days paid available for sick time unless unpaid. But I really just have to find a way to make it work because I have to do this surgery-and whatever the recovery ends up being I will have to deal with that. I do think it’s better to be prepared so I’m glad I know that it’s going to be much rougher and longer than I originally expected
 
I'm going with "realistic optimism" (or is it optimistic realism? Hmmm). My goal is still to be back at work at least part time in a couple of weeks, since I can literally work from my bed or a recliner, but I'm very much aware of and accept that it may be significantly longer than that. I'm not planning any ridiculous martyr-like approach - the knee will heal as she demands, and managing pain is a requirement. I'm just going to do my best to get my mental game into play at the earliest possible date. If that's 7 days, awesome. If it's 30 days, well, I at least made the effort and I'll probably be better for it.
 
Does your company have short term disability? I have that available to me for up to 12 weeks. My MD has given me that time out of work for all my knee surgeries. I think it can go to 16 weeks but my job is guaranteed at 12 weeks and at 16 there will be a job available within my company.
 
I could have gotten short term disability but there’s a one year waiting period for a lot of conditions. I felt like I would be dishonest -and like cheating the company or insurance—being I’ve known that my knees are a problem- so I just never enrolled.

I still hope I recover fast but I’m trying to prepare myself that it’s very possible I will end up needing much more time than I anticipated. It really makes me worried and sad but I’m gonna have an upfront conversation with my boss-after getting the same feedback from everyone on here- and hope that my job will work with me regardless of it possibly taking several weeks.
I just keep reminding myself that the alternative- not having it done is -not living -and that could very well cost me my job. This all just sucks but- I will deal with it as it comes and the end result will be - -gosh- getting my life back- going to the cabin with my family again and going to my niece and nephews sports again and holidays and walking- - that is what I need to focus on.
but- all that said- it helps to be able to complain and feel a little sorry for myself with all of you as I process it- -knowing everyone has done this or is going to be - like we are all in it together.
 
I think I know what the answer will be- check with my OS....
Do any of you have or had - pretty significant swelling/edema in lower legs? I have shown a doctor months ago and the goal was to try and stop fluid retention. I’ve been taking hydrochlorothiazide and it’s helped my blood pressure but not the edema. So I was given an rx for furosemide but - I never took it. The dr had said I need to do labs and follow up due to potential effects of the med and if I’m honest - I was worried about that but also -getting to the clinic -walking from parking lot and inside - it’s to hard and it’s humiliating- . But I need to lose weight before surgery my OS said- and he suspects as do I that the fluid retention is at least ten pounds. I read one of the posts about having cuts that could postponed surgery. I don’t have anything much but due to the edema my skin on legs scratches so easy—.
I wasn’t thinking to much of it I just thought i would talk about it in my pre op but after seeing someone getting postponed for a little scratch - it has me rethinking. So I guess I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this - so I get an idea of what to expect. Sorry this is so long.
 
Back
Top Bottom