Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

[Bonesmart.org] Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies
JonD, great to hear from you and nice to have you back. A second new hip---WOW! Isn't is nice to know what to expect---makes the trip a lot easier.


Don't be a stranger, take care and keep us updated. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies
 
HI! I am new to this forum, but I also had my THR on my left hip in July of 2012. It has been 10 months and I feel awesome! I just went to Disneyland and spent around 10 hours a day on my feet, with NO pain :) I was still having some pain up until just about 6 months, and after that it has been smooth sailing. I still am quite inflexible, partly because I am nervous about dislocation and don't stretch very much. My surgeon is very conservative and has made me nervous. Other than that, I LOVE being able to sleep all night, walk pain free, drive a standard car, and do have increased range of motion, despite my inflexibility. I've really enjoyed reading people's stories!
 
Thank you for your update - gives me hope for the future. I am actually doing very well for the 6 week mark. My other hip is really sore now that I have become more active - and when I mentioned it to my doc - he said they would recommend waiting. I feel no pain except some muscle soreness from the weakness associated with years of inactivity followed by my lateral incision. I am confident that my new hip will be fantastic - but I am not willing to wait for years for the right hip to be in pain after going through this surgery. I have bone cysts and the femoral head is mushroom shaped. I managed a 5-k walk the other day - with no issues for my new hip and a day of pain following on what is supposed to be my good side. I agree with you that this surgery is life changing - and I can't wait for the future when I barely remember the past 6 weeks.

Hi, I had some pain in my other hip after surgery also. It took a few months of walking around before that stopped. I guess it the hip that wasn't operated on was just not used to using the appropriate muscles or very many muscles at all! Keep at it!
 
Hi all,
13 weeks post op on my right 2nd review hip. No dislocations this time. It feels good but still get aching where the femur was smashed. I am happy with it though. Very happy I can walk at all.
Only trouble is I am having trouble with my left hip now so I imagine sometime in the future I shall be returning to have that hip replaced also.
Old age is such a darn. LOL
 
Mine was done in September 2012 and I thought I should have been fully and completely recovered by now so (I hope this does not sound mean) I'm sort of pleased to see others are still having a bit of discomfort. Mine is in my upper inner thigh when I stretch is certain directions and I've mainly resolved it by not stretching in those directions! I could use a bit more strength in the operated leg, but my ROM is great. The only real pain I'm having is in the other hip -- have to take meds in order to sleep due to it's aching and I'm limited in the ways I can use my leg, so that one is going to be history in July. I did so hate being unable to do yard work last fall in the pretty weather, so this one will be in the summer when it's too danged hot to do anything anyway. Besides that ice will feel better in July than in October.

I'm so glad I finally spotted and read this thread. It was great to see familiar names and find out how everyone is doing. I wish more folks would post here with follow-ups. This forum was such a great find for me and I'm very grateful for it.
 
Hello everyone, I have been MIA for nearly 12 months now but just thought I would pop in and have a read.
My story is that I had a TLHR on march 1st 2012 so I'm well over 12 months post op. everything has been going along fantastically I can walk totally unaided and relatively pain free. Sleeping is amazing (I had forgotten how lovely a full nights sleep was when I was pre op) I have some limitations, stairs are not my friend and getting in the passenger side of the car is a little difficult but I can live with these minor issues. :) however on Wednesday the 22nd of may 2013 I had a partial dislocation! It basically popped out and straight back in....lots of soft tissue damage and bruising as you can imagine but its all back in place I just pray it doesn't happen again!
Take care everyone xx
 
Hi Tanya40, lovely to hear from you, but scary with the partial dislocation.. Have you spoken to your surgeon?
 
Hi poppet, no I haven't seen my surgeon yet but I have been to my gp who sent me for X-rays and ultrasounds. Everything appears to be ok I'm just a bit tender and very bruised!
 
I was a 2011 double-hippie! Life intervened and not all good. But my hips are great. This is a nice idea --the 2011 site--because if we want to just check in on occasion we can be found. My husband is ill and I am caregiver--and if I didn't have new hips we would both be in a facility. I remember asking my mom--who passed away between my two surgeries--if I should do the second hip. She said, "Yes", because no one knows what the future requires and I should get it over now. Boy, was that correct! I haven't had one iota of pain or any issue. I send everyone who is facing the surgery my best for a successful outcome and I am a testament to a scaredy cat--who found the whole thing not a big deal. It was time-consuming and energy draining--but not painful or diffficult. Best of luck to all.
 
MagnoliaMs, I am so sorry for you, that life has turned out this way.. I hope it is temporary.. Do let us support you, we are here for you, you know :)
 
Hi everyone - thought I had better update everyone now I'm over 6 months out. Where did that time go? Tanya40 that sounds a horrible experience, I hope all is OK now.
Cookie42 I know exactly what you mean by being just that little bit glad (maybe reassured is a better way of saying it!) to hear of other people's slow recoveries and set-backs. I thought I'd be completely mobile by now, back to what I was a few years ago - nicknamed the "Marine" by my family as I yomped off into the sun, leaving them trailing! Of course, I am now older and have other arthritic joints! My right knee is shouting for attention, right shoulder didn't like the pressure of using crutches and my lower back aches for no particular reason!
I also decided last week to trip over the tiny doorstep into our conservatory (at least 1inch high!) and ended up flat on the floor, on the operated side.:sad: I was home alone and usually have my mobile/cell phone in my pocket but had just put it on charge in the kitchen. After a few minutes, I decided I could get up unaided and found that apart from some bruises, very bent glasses and a scrape on my nose there was no damage!
So now it is back to the slow and steady, I have had the glasses mended and the bruises are fading. I just have to remember to rest and let my body get on with the final healing.
Big hugs to everyone:friends:
Anne
 
Oh Nannyannie, we all dread that first fall, trip or strain.. So pleased you are ok.. Did your remember to ice?

Great to hear from you :) and yes, growing older is just not fun! I hear you :)
 
Hi folks, Where has the time gone. Over a year now for my new hip. Had some ups and downs:bicycle2: but things all in all are good. Back to gardening. Planted my first veggies in two years - tomatoes, beans, squash, peppers and cucumbers. Ran out of room for the snap peas. :sigh: Rediscovered my flowers hid in the weeds. :yes!: Summer has finally come to Michigan and I am enjoying the lovely weather. :bicycle1: Pat
 
Wahoo.. Oakviewneighbor, how great to hear from you.. So pleased to hear you are on the road to recovery.. Planting veggies, enjoying your Summer :)
 
I had RTHR on April 16, 2012, and LTHR on Oct. 29, 2012. I am so glad I had them done!:yay: I have had pain on climbing stairs with the last one, and went to PT longer than with the first. I took a quick look on here about a month ago and someone was complaining of more pain with a hip that had extra length put in, and Josephine said that the muscles and tendons had to stretch to compensate for the new length. That certainly made sense and is probably the cause of my extra pain, because I had a half inch added. They knew this at physio, but apparently did not clue in. Before I was walking bent over because my groin muscles had tightened and my right hip stuck out and I was crooked even with orthodics to make up for the shorter leg. Whatever my OS did when he replaced the left hip and stretching exercises has me standing straight again and no orthodics! I have scoliosis in the right side of my back, but it is barely noticable now. I try to get out and walk a couple of times a week, and also walk in the mall. I was so long without full ROM in the left hip, I have to make a conscious effort to push it out while walking. (give an extra little wiggle).
deeceek :loll:
 
Hi deeceek, how nice to hear from you, pleased to read you are getting along nicely :)
 
Big hi to all you 2012ers! Something that others may find useful to do - I recently re-read some of the library stuff, oh wow! I had forgotten a lot of the advice/recovery expectations (fuzzy brain, pain meds, etc. to blame?) and realise that at 7 months I am still healing deep inside. Be kind to me time! Oh for that dose of patience to go with the other medication! :angel:
I had reached a bit of a plateau and was getting a bit depressed but this last couple of weeks I have been able to cut down on the strong painkillers (Tramadol, and I have been reducing the dose gradually). Even my knee and shoulder seem to be settling down - fingers crossed. This time last year it was Oramorph when even the maximum dose of Tramadol was not enough!
:cheers:Big hugs to all and thanks for all the love and support given so freely!
Anne
 
So nice to pop in and see how everyone is doing. Nice to hear from you Magnolia - don't forget to take care of yourself, too. :flwrysmile:
 
Hipmon it sure to hear from you. I alss am having luck with the hip. So glad I did it. This weekend I realized my hip is recovery. So it has passed over. Can do almost everything except the splits that I use to do. Have no need to teach the new hip how too so I dought that it will have that task. Hee, Hee, I do still have some trouble getting of the floor but the new hip does behave its the knee that causes the problems. So good to keep in contact with everyone. Take care and use those hips for fun. Hee, Hee, Tashia
 
I had an anterior RTHR on Sep 26, 2012. I never thought I'd feel good again, but most days I feel wonderful. Still take Celebrex and Tylenol. I'm trying to wean off both, but I get a few days off and the rest of my body aches. The IT band continues to hurt sometimes, but nothing like the pain i experienced pre-surgery. I'm so thankful that I can walk again. Going to Mexico for a "do over" vacation because last year I could t walk on the beach or around the resort. I wish I didn't wait so long to reclaim my life!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom