Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

THR Yippee, that's the other one sorted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
B

beesquare

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks SL but having read your thread it's you who gets the prize for being amazing! You have been through so much, your determination is incredible. My op was actually 22 July - it does get confusing when different countries format dates in different ways - bit like pronunciations I guess!
You're so right about pet therapy we have 3 cats and a dog and I have the best job as I work for a charity that trains assistance dogs so am rarely without the company of a furry friend:yes 4: Must run in the family as my daughter is training to be a vet .
Hope things are still progressing well for you apart from that stress fracture. Have you tried the trekking poles that Renate recommended? They're good for a real workout when you're further down the recovery road.
Take care x

uktanny

graduate
Country
What a lovely Job Anne! Do you get to do any of the hands on stuff with the dogs?

I've got 3 cats too, and have been thinking about getting a small dog (good excuse to have a walk too) but am worried about how my cats would react. I wouldn't want them to get upset and leave home:cry4:

Do yours all get along?

tanny x

OP
OP
B

beesquare

Country
Hi Tanny great to hear from you. I don't do any training of the dogs but we have them with us in the office all the time so get to play with them and take them for walks if necessary and next year should have baby dogs as we will be starting a puppy walking scheme in our area. How cute will that be?! If you introduce a dog carefully into your household your cats should be fine. I often take different dogs home to stay and neither my English Bull Terrier nor the cats has any objections. It is amazing how well they can get on.
How are you getting on now Tan, any sign of you going back? Must admit I'm still pretty cream crackered by evening but getting better all the time
Love
Anne xxx

OP
OP
B

beesquare

Country
Hi folks, what fun to be back having now had my other hip replaced.

So many new faces since I was last here,all getting wonderful support from BoneSmart. I apologise to the forum advisors if I've done wrong by starting a new thread, my old one is closed I think. I'm sure you'll sort me out!

All went well with this op as it did last time I'm pleased to report and I'm wiser this time and following the BS suggested return to activity programme. I think I thought I was Superwoman last time and went a bit over the top with being too active and not resting enough. It is so reassuring to have the support even though it's second time around.

One thing hasn't changed, the joys of the never ending night time loo visits and being wide awake at 3am! At least this time I know it will pass and there is life after THR!
Anne :kittykiss:

Country
United States United States
beesquare, I have merged your old thread with the new one you just started and have left the title to the new one as the title for both since it is more appropriate.

Welcome back to the forum. We love success stories, as I'm sure you know. And we also love testaments to the BoneSmart mantra:
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
hug3-smiley.gif

OP
OP
B

beesquare

Country
Thanks Judy I knew one of you would sort me out! The mantra is SO true!

Anniepops

post-grad
Country
Wehey Anne, welcome back with your second shiny new hip. So pleased to hear all went well. How's that allotment doing? No doubt you will be ready and raring to get cracking with all the planting by springtime. Keep us updated how you are getting on...it's lovely to hear from you.

Take care

Ann.x.

OP
OP
B

beesquare

Country
Hi Ann, thank you! The allotment is looking a bit sad at the moment as it's been waterlogged for weeks but no doubt when all our gorgeous sunny weather arrives ( ??!!) we'll get it sorted. The rhubarb will survive I'm sure! How are you getting on anyway, sounds like you're progressing we'll, great stuff hinny!
Annex

Anniepops

post-grad
Country
Anne, how ya doing hinny :) I seen you mention getting blown away on Catis thread, I guess it has also been blowing a gale down your way too. I haven't been out far today at all it's been so bad but I am doing good thanks. Happy that I can go for long walks with my dogs. Hope you are managing to get out a bit anyway and that you are feeling good. Are you finding this recovery very similar to your first?

Take care

Ann.x.

bellaroma

graduate
Beesquare, glad to make your aquaintence. I am getting ready fro my second hip in March and know what you mean. I am also not looking forward to multiple loo trips, and sleeping/not sleeping on my back again. Hope the recovery is smooth and steady

OP
OP
B

beesquare

Country
Anniepops Well Hi Ann delighted to report that the wind has now dropped although I see it's supposed to return tomorrow but from a colder direction, brrr, we could do without that. How great that you are now at the stage of being able to go for long walks with your dogs, it's like being reborn almost isn't it? I do believe that going through the THR process gives one a fresh perspective on life (as I guess any major improvement in health and well being would) . I find that instead of wishing my life away anticipating future events I just really appreciate every day of improved health more and more. Crickey I am sounding profound- must lay off the co-codamols !!!!!
Is this recovery similar to my first? Well, until today I would have said it was quite a lot easier actually as I've been more sensible and not tried to prove how much I could do and I've rested more. HOWEVER...... On Wednesday I had my stupid head on, did too much and now I'm paying the price with both hips hurting and back to 2 crutches. How daft can you get. So today I've really done very little and probably will do the same tomorrow as I really feel I've taken a backwards step. Doh!

bellaroma Beth, delighted to meet you too. Have just been reading your posts - you certainly went through it with the fracture can't begin to imagine how awful that must have been on top of the THR but you have come through it all and you're now all geared up to the next op. Excellent news. Wow you went back to work quickly. I was off 12 weeks last time and was totally zonked for the first week when I went back. This time I'm hoping to be back at 10 weeks with a phased return instead of straight back to full time. I love your cats - I have 3 and 2 dogs. One of the cats, Millie a fluffy ginger girl (she tells everyone she's a red tabby) thinks she's a nurse - too much time spent watching Grey's Anatomy I think- and is constantly fussing around me making sure I'm comfortable! Yes I know I'm mad but it gets me through the day! So, I'll follow your progress with your next op and wish you the very best of luck with it and a speedy recovery. Incidentally I totally understand how you feel about low loo seats as I'm 5'11 and had to be surgically separated from my raised seats at about 18 weeks post op! I'm not going out anywhere that might need a loo trip for a long time!!! :martini:

Anniepops

post-grad
Country
Oh Anne, we've all been there with the overdoing it stuff :) So having a second THR doesn't make you any the wiser in the doing too much department eh.lol. I know you will get right back on track after a few days rest.

Your Millie sounds so cute fussing around you, she must know you are not at at your best at the moment. Having our pets around us during recovery definitely gives us a lift doesn't it.

Take care and take it easy

Ann.x.

Anniepops

post-grad
Country
Hi Anne hope things are going well and you are back on the right track.x.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
RubiJane
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom