Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

@octopus - As JJ Cale sings tomorrow is hump day (middle of the week) - heading towards Friday xx
 
LOVE the term"hippies" used this way. I grew up in the 60's and about now many of us are having something replaced! Love your term.
abby
:rotfl:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies
 
Please note I have merged the Class of 2011, 2012 and 2013 Hippies into the one thread :)
 
Howdeeeeee! Class of 2012 here! Almost 2 years to the day, in fact (last weekend). I am sure all of you have experienced some of the ups and slight downs that I have. I have NOT been totally without pain in my THR hip. Usually: if I exercise too much after a period of relative dormancy I get some significant pain. BUT it doesn't last long if I keep up my workouts. I am aware of my hip to some degree almost every day: getting up from sitting, sitting in a too-soft chair, etc. I actually barely notice it, though, because it is not that nagging, awful pain I was in before THR.

We knew when I had my left hip done that the right would need replacing eventually. The x-rays taken at my 2-year checkup yesterday show considerable deterioration; and I have been in noticeable pain the past 9 months or so. There is increased cam impingement and bone-on-bone. I do not have the degree of pain as with the left hip, but have decided to go ahead and (with my surgeon's blessing) get the right hip done sooner than later. I have awesome insurance this year, and can choose my surgeon (certainly the superstar who did my first THR, Dr. Stuart Goodman at Stanford); next year, I will be changing to an HMO and not have that option. So: I am looking at the first week of August.

I know many of you have had a second hip done some time after the first. Any tips? I feel it will be an easier recovery, if only for the fact that I know what to expect.
 
@debkakes, welcome back for a second round! You should just go ahead and start a new thread in the pre op forum. You may not get as much feedback as you'd like from this particular thread since it is mostly for just updating how things are going after being gone for a while.
 
Hello my 2012 friends!! I celebrated my two year hipversary just over a week ago! I'm so happy to report zero pain, greater range of motion that I could've imagined, and a new outlook on life! Seven months post op after lots of rehab, I took the plunge and became a certified yoga instructor (200hr RYT). I figured I could relate to people and with all my injury history, make yoga accessible to anyone by way of modifications. So far, this hip has allowed me to wakeboard pain free again, do a splits on BOTH sides(!), I've backpacked through the gorgeous Sequoias, trekked through miles of the merced river to flyfish, and become an avid rock climber. I still geek out to this day waking up pain free, living a more active life than I thought a hip replacement would allow.

It's been a wonderful and fulfilling journey so far to say the least! I still promote bonesmart to every single person I encounter and rave about the wonderful fellowship and wealth of knowledge this site provides. I know I was more of a lurker than an active participant, but I sincerely thank you guys for being there through some of the darkest moments of my life. I adore you all more than you know. :angel:
 
That's great to hear :) I have just had my check up yesterday, two years for right side, one year for left, all seems to be good :). Interesting about the yoga I thought we might be restricted with it as I would love to give it a go to help with flexibility and my aching back. Take care all. Stan
 
cjorad, you sound like you could be me.
I had my TRHR in 3/26/12 and I tell everyone that I had the world's best hip replacement. I take group fitness classes, play tennis and bike regularly.

My gratitude about the whole TRHR experience has lifted my entire life. I am someone who had to "go it alone" with out the support of family, but the comments and support from my Bonesmart family was tremendously comforting to me.

I co sign when you say:
"sincerely thank you guys for being there through some of the darkest moments of my life. I adore you all more than you know."

May all of us continue to progress, grow, thrive, prosper and be healthy. Thank you cjorad.
Your friend,
"Zorro"
 
Well Im rapidly approaching my 2 year anniversary and I think my memory is going as It took a while for me to work out it was my hips setting off the airport scanner. I no longer feel I have bits of metal in me. I do pilates with ladies a lot younger and my ROM is better. Ive been very active scuba diving, bike riding, walking in the hills and have mostly forgotten about my hips, it took a while at least 20 months. I have niggles but from all my joints it would be unfair to single out my hips. Please dont be fobbed off that you are too young for hip replacements as I know my quality of life if I hadnt had them replaced would have been hell, once they need replacing get them done.

Hello to all the other lovely people that were such a fantastic support when I was trying to adjust to the shock of what I had just been through. At times reading the stories the ups and downs i felt you guys were there holding my hand and helpig me through the tough times. xxxx
 
Great to hear you are doing well. That's pretty funny to know you forgot about your hips as you went through the metal detectors!!! I love it!
 
I was in awe of both you and @cnydutch virtually watching you both go through your bilat recoveries. So glad you are doing so well, and you've experienced the forgotten hips when traveling! :yay:
 
I keep forgetting to check back in. I am having such good luck with the hips that I forget most of the time they were done. In 2014 I had the left done and most of the time I forget about it too. Isn't it great that we have new hips? Wow ! I hope everyone who has had them are ok and for the people who are getting or waiting in line have the luck I had in getting them. Tashia
 
It is great to read members passing major annual milestones - best wishes to all of you!
 
14 months post RTHR and I have no pain in hip whatsoever. Thigh muscles bother me after walks...sometimes and after I sit too long. I had no right hip socket to start and the surgeon had to drill hole in my hip to make one along with replacing the femoral head. It takes awhile to recover from THR, so anyone who is still in the recovery phase..hang in there. I had no complications and was in good shape prior to surgery. After 9 months, I was able to walk short distance w/o my cane. Now, I can walk 1 mile+ at a brisk pace sans cane! Yeah!
I still have some "thigh soreness" walking up stairs and the like. I do hope this too will disappear...soon.
To anyone recovering...hang in...it DOES get better. My surgeon, Dr Stephen B Murphy is outstanding. I limped around for 12 years with a cane and eventually had intolerable pain prior to surgery. Casual acquaintences who see me now cannot believe how well I walk..no pain, no cane, no limp, legs same length, stand up straight when I walk. No limits on ROM . When I read other posts, I realize how fortunate I am to have only to have had a THR...other "things" are worse.

Keep the faith...you will get better
 
Hello to all:
I want to wish everyone Happy Holidays. I am 2 and 3/4 years past my TRHR. My life has never been better. My health is tip top. I walk, bike, do yoga and group exercise. My spiritual life was catapulted into a better dimension due to my preparation for the surgery, and my prayers of thanksgiving after the surgery. Per my surgeon I have 17 and 1/4 years to go with the new hip, but my personal goal is to push it to 25 years (smile). The TRHR made me realize how life was passing me by and I truly attack life with new vigor and gratitude.

I have told everyone who would listen what a Godsend the Bonesmart site was for me. I do not have close family and I had to "go it alone" with my TRHR. We do not know each other but everyone here was incredibly kind and loving at a time when I was terribly vulnerable and fearful. I do not come here often because my TRHR was a resounding success -- in my own words, "The world's best hip replacement," but I think of you all with great affection.

God bless you. Good health and prosperity to us all.

Sincerely,
"Zorro"
March Musketeer, 2012
 
Zorro .... it's great to hear from you and hear how good your hip is. I'm delighted for you. Yes, this forum has been a Godsend for me ..... here folks understand because they've all been through it. I've leaned on these dear souls many times. Like you, after my TKR and my revision I came home alone. That's a real challenge. Ate a lot of Lean Cuisines!
Good to hear from you ..... have a great holiday.
Barb (abby) :nativity:
 
I want to wish everyone a :merryx: and a Happy New Year! All is well, Take care and God Bless. Tashia:chrissy grin:
 
Hello! Just thought I would pop by on my way to the New Years Eve party. I am now just over two years out from my RTHR. My hip feels great! Last summer (June) I also had to have surgery on my left ankle (torn tendon and some other stuff). I went on a 6 mile mountain hike last week and the joints that felt best were my right hip and left ankle. Too funny. I have started doing P90 (one of those home workout video series). I modify so I don't do any jumping, but other than that it is going really well. I am feeling really strong and have been able to be pretty active. The only things getting in the way of being active at this point are work and school, since I am completing a certificate program through the local university.

My left knee will probably be the next to go, but I am still at that stage where the knee pain is tolerable and handled well by NSAIDS.

Happy new year to all of you and may your recoveries all go really well!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom