Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

I am just about 11 weeks post-op and I feel really good. I've been gimping around since 2005, when I had a left hip arthroscopy that went wrong. Finally led to me walking bone on bone, until the doctor who did my LTHR said my femoral head looked like a ground-down mushroom cap, and wondered how I was walking around at all without pain meds. I'd just gotten so used to it, that I suppose if I didn't have the pain, I would've felt like something was wrong. Once I couldn't walk down to my mailbox and back, and started having knee tendonitis...that's what prompted me to seek out a new doc. I think I was terrified of facing another surgical debacle, like the first attempt by an unqualified doc.

Well, no more joint pain, but I am still working on some muscle weakness and piriformis tightness with SI hypermobility I've had since I've been a teenager. But PT is helping with that. Physically, I feel so much better, but I can say that no matter how much I prepped, it was tough actually going through the process - especially the first few weeks. I am one of those who don't want help from anyone...well no choice in the matter for me this time. But I am very grateful to my family and friends who helped, visited, and understood. I am looking so forward to this summer. If I feel this good now...it will be wonderful in 3 more months!
 
Welcome "T!" I was at 10-weeks yesterday. I also have piriformis syndrome on my left side, but the LTHR fixed about 70% of that I would say. My sciatic nerve is upset a little, but is not nearly as PO'd as it was before the surgery. One alernative to piriformis issues besides PT is to snip-it somewhere between the sacrum and trochanter. Not quite ready for them to do that. The jury is out on just how important the piriformis is. I still can't do my favorite piriformis stretch, but the doc says maybe after 16-weeks. Don't know I would want to bring my knee to my opposite pec before then anyway.
Glad you are moving around better, and welcome. I still hurt for the first couple of steps after standing up, but I am sleeping like a baby, and I have not done that for years.
Be sure and visit other areas on site. I liked visiting the badge of honor thread. If you are ever feeling down, a look at some of the incisions over there will perk you right up:yes:
 
Thanks dougie! Had PT tonight, and am able to do a lot of exercises. I am further along in the PT world than I thought I would be. Doing great. The active release and the PT set my sacral joint right back. Still have to wear a lift in my shoe now, since my surgical leg was longer (somewhere down in the leg bones actually) prior to surgery…but it's still a good fit. Gate retraining is going pretty well, and I feel energetic. Been out to the Badge of Honor area, and my scar is a neat 7.5 inches…but as scars go (and I have a few) it is very pretty.
 
Wow reading your post T-riffic and Dougie it's like reading about myself :) I am 10 weeks post op on Monday
And I am doing really well it s so good not to be in any pain now
I do get a liitle down some times I don't know why half the time but I think that s all in the process of healing .
It's so nice to read your stories x
 
It snowed 6 - 8" early yesterday morning, so I have been indoors. Even though I have been working again for a month, I have not been technically "Released" from anything except using a cane/walker, PT and home-nursing. My boss has expressly forbidden me to walk on snow / ice.
Since I work in education, the school was closed today anyway. I was bored, so I did PT.
I decided to try my favorite piriformis stretch, and you know what? I could do it with no difficulty. I waited until I had done all of my other exercises so I was good and warmed-up.
Wow, is all I have to say. The leg came over the center-line and towards my other chest so easy! No grating, no pain and no expletives.
I am stoked.
Hang in there T-Riffic and Mazzy. We are in an endurance race, not a sprint.
This calls for cookies. I have put on 25-pounds since I have been unable to run, but WW can wait, I deserve a cookie(s).:egypdance:
 
I had my THR anterior minimally-invasive technique on 1/30 at Fairview Southdale Hospital in Edina, MN. Dr Owen O'Neill from Twin Cities Orthopedics was my surgeon. Now I am at home and let me report: 1) The staff at the hospital and Dr. O'Neill was GREAT even after we arrived in a blizzard 3 hours late! They helped ease my concerns and since this is the 1st surgery I've ever had I was really anxious. 2) I really struggled with nausea after waking up from surgery - it was pretty bad and the nursing staff tried various medications to help and finally found one. 3) I had the self-administred pain pump which I used and worked well 4) The worst is 24 hours after surgery, it gets better from there 5) O'Neill not only fixed my leg length difference but also replaced my painful joint with the new ceramic ones! 6) The PT and OT after surgery was great - really helped me feel confident and get back to walking the day after surgery. if it was up to me I would have stayed in bed. 7) I left the hospital with just a cane (did not need the walker!) and even able to do a few stairs - without pain 8) I am carefully walking around the house, feeling a bit shaky but I am remarkably walking with VIRTUALLY NO LIMP after years of limping along. I'm very happy 9) The surgical site is still sore, but overall I have much less pain than I thought! I haven't taken any oxy today since even with anti-nausea it makes me sick. 10) Taking oral iron (low red blook count after surgery) and senna as well as self-administed Lovonox shots in the stomach to stop clots. 11) Trying to do my PT exercises 2-4 times a day 12) I'm super tired - take a morning and afternoon nap

Overall, I'm very happy I did this since I was limping and in pain all the time with my old hip. I need to do the right one sometime in the future (soon) but will keep on working getting the left one back. It is somewhat of a miracle Dr. O'Neill was able to fix my leg length and the hip issues all in one and only a few days after surgery I'm up and walking.

I'll report back in a few days and ongoing how things are going.
 
Good for you - my PT is really putting me through my paces, but I did 25 minutes on the elliptical for my first workout, and all my other exercises before PT this evening. I feel great!
 
Actually post-op depression is not uncommon. Our bodies have been through the "hell" of anesthesia, pain meds, swelling, and initially, our leg feeling like a weak, foreign object…and feeling a little helpless at first. But now we have the T-Shirt, and are 'stronger' for it.
 
Aww thanks for your reply T-Riffic
Yes we have been through a lot haven't we
I'm not too bad I'm actually 10weeks post op
And getting stronger every day I can actually
Put my sock on now and tie my laces yay
Yes we have the tea shirt and a lot stronger fur it
 
@psychteach I thought @Sailfreeordie 's post might be of interest to you. Don't know whereabouts in FL you are, but maybe you could look into his referral?
Heidi - I noticed in your signature that your DDH was not discovered during your diagnosis. I am hearing about this a lot these days. Would've helped me out over the last 9 years to know it, when the Left Hip Scope didn't work and left me feeling worse than the labral tear did…Took them 7.5 years to discover it. I probably wouldn't have been a runner for so long either…but such is life!
 
Hi Y'all
I'm still Here!
After many scares, I'm still in one piece and still standing!
Yay!

It's good to see the Healing.
And also kind of nice to know that we still have some pains and aches.
Makes me feel, 'not so Alone'....:puppysmooze:

Thank you BoneSmart, for helping me through some really tough times. It means so much....
Laura P (lpLaura)
down in COLD GA
 
Hi there Laura, @LPLaura - I know how tough it has been for you, but so pleased you will soon have answers :) xx
 
I thought it appropriate as 2012 draws to a close, that I would try to gather together as many of the 2011 hippies in the one thread to see how everyone is progressing..

It would be rather nice for the 2012 recovering hippies to be able to see that there is life after a THR..

I do hope you will drop by and say hello :) - Merry Xmas to one and all.

p.s. please feel free to tag anyone I may have missed :)

dianemarie
charlie cyborg
DallasSarah
Anitawants2tango
LisaP
Jetlag
C Mac
Juliep
NH_Lou
forbesy
Hoops68 (Aussie friend)
girlienerd
DaveGM
welshjane
ChefHuber
HandyAndy
plinej
lisanewmc
LPLaura
djklaugh
gizmo
NYLiz
almostready?
joanna
thegiftlady
tashia
okie408
sharonslp
Jyoti
Vikki

Just wondering since you posted this way way back in dec 2012. Are you gonna do this for the 2013 hippies too? It is 2014 now. Thanks
 
[Bonesmart.org] Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

As requested by several 2013 recovering hippies, here is your special thread to visit if you are not posting frequently :)

Ah, thank you for posting this up! I didn't see anything for us in 2013 then - I found it.
 
I had my THR done by Dr. Drinhaus at Riverside County Regional Medical Center on Aug 12, 2013. Wonderful doctor. He is a god, I swear. He is so busy that often time I don't get to see "him" when I go in for my check ups like the 6 month post op check up I had Jan 29th. Sad since I like to pick his brain since he has been doing these things for about 30 years or so.

I'm 27 weeks post op and my recovery story is founded laced up and down on the thread titled "6 months post op now" under the hip recovery area. I'm 38 and I don't know why I didn't get a THR back in 2011 right after earning my MBA when I was 35. I was told from Dr. McDowell that all he wants to do for the rest of his life is total knee and total hip replacement surgeries since he knows how it changes a person's life. He was on of my surgeons (2nd year resident) too, but he left to Loma Linda to finish up his residency. I wish I could tell him that my hip replacement did change my life since he was right. I just couldn't see it at 3 months post op.

It took forever to get to the 6 month post op mark. (Now I'm 7 months). but I'm doing more now and hoping to find full-time employment (haven't had a full-time work since 2007) so I can eat and - so I can keep busy. If I'm busy and working the 1 year post op mark and 2 year mark will fly by. I'm so excited with my new hip, I can't wait to see what I'll be able to do with flexibility come Aug 2015.
 
February 28, 2011 is my 3 year anniversary of my LTHR. I have been off and on this site for my knee replacement and upcoming RTHR. Repaired hip feels great and looking forward to the other hip getting done!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom