Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

Hi everyone. I had my LTHR (posterior) 10/4/13 and am at 24 weeks post op now. I've been measuring my progress in little accomplishments by realizing what little tasks I can do today that I couldn't do the week before. Walking outside without a cane was pretty good feeling at about 4 weeks post op. Putting on my own socks and shoes was a biggie at about 8 weeks. I also went back to work at 8 weeks post op and that involved driving, walking up about 100 stairs, riding trains standing up and walking up a steep hill. That was tough at first. It was hard getting out of car and I had to pull myself up the stairs causing me to strain my shoulder. It's easier now but still not perfect. I spent 6 days in Disney World at 17 weeks postop and was on my feet most of time, walked about 15-20K steps daily, walked up and down ramps, got on and off moving rides with relative ease and experienced only one day where I was very sore with a swollen ankle at the end of the day. My bonus was not setting off the alarms in the airport. I was pre checked for TSA and didn't have to endure the patdown but would have also happily shown them my scar!

This weeks accomplishment - I got up from my desk at work and walked about 20 feet to the elevator before I realized I wasn't thinking about walking and experienced no soreness. I also realized I was passing other commuters during my walk - I was always a fast walker before the OA got to me so this make me very happy. This weekend I was able to do a full out ChaChaCha with my hubby relatively pain free -we are social ballroom dancers and I haven't been able to dance without drugs since last April. But before I could get cocky about this achievement, the Cupid Slide almost did me in so I still have work to do. I still have trouble going upstairs especially if the riser is high like on the escalator and this is troubling to me. Going downstairs is all normal now. I am just getting to the point where I'm starting to remember what it felt like to be 'normal'. I just started working out with a trainer at the gym and doing a lot of floor exercises and planks. It feels good to have sore muscles from the exercise! I would appreciate any suggestions for working on flexibility.
 
Leslie, WOW WOW WOW. I'm now at 32 weeks post op since I had my THR (Right and it was posterior) Aug 12, 2013. You are doing really really good. I often wondered about flexibility when I first came on this site. . .I'd ask about that every other week. I now just accept a few things. 1. Flexibility comes at different times for different people (I also think it depends on how long you had a bad hip - like for me - I had a bad hip since age 13 and I wasn't able to do much by age 27). 2. Flexibility comes with time passing. I was told that it takes up to 18 months - 2 years to heal completely (told from my surgeon and from others on this site). 3. Flexibility does come by stretching exercises, but 1 and 2 do override that.

I could do all of the stretching with my hip everyday to try to reach my right foot (to put my sock and shoe on) but time is probably going to help me more. I had a total body massage on Feb 19th at Massage Envy for their intro price of $60. I can't afford their "membership" of $60 a month right now, but if you can - you may want to invest in that. I was told that "I need it" since I'm so tight. You can already reach your foot to put your sock and shoe on? Wow. And you have a job (I guess you had a job before you went into surgery?) And you went back to work at 8 weeks po? WOW> be thankful you had a job before you went into surgery. You are only 6 months po? Give yourself a big big hug and pat on the back. These are major accomplishments.

I still can't reach my right foot at 32 weeks po. . .and I do NOT have a job like you. I haven't had a full-time job since 2007 and my last part-time was in 2012 - long before I went into surgery in Aug 2013. Since Feb 2014 - I have devoted most of my time to networking on LinkedIn and looking for full-time work. (I don't focus on my hip so much now). Like you - I feel like my [life] is getting back to "normal" which - in all reality - there is no "normal" to my life since I don't have a full-time job.

But my hip feels wonderful - no pain. and I lived with pain deep in my hip since 1997. Each winter came and I'd feel the rain a day before it came. Not anymore! Old Arthur is gone! I just learned to live with it for so long. . . . I didn't realize how much pain I was in [daily] until around week 13 post op . . .I didn't have any pain when walking.

It's nice getting your life back, isn't it?:dancy::yay:
 
Sandee, you are right, everyone progresses at their own pace. We are like babies. Some walk at 10 months and some at 18. I did not have bad hips all my life and was relatively active up to my surgical date. My OA started to manifest about 20 years ago and was aggravated by a bad fall in 2001 which resulted in a sprained left hip and a broken arm. It's been slowly downhill from there. I decided to have the surgery before it became debilitating. It already had me sidelined and off the dance floor, kept me from hiking and plain made me pissy. I figured no time like the present and the sooner I did it, the sooner I could dance again. Reaching my feet was not a pain free thing at 8 weeks and it took several attempts before getting it on. it still isn't perfect but I kept thinking about this man who refused to even try and was still using the sock helper after a year. But that worked for him so I guess that's ok too. As long as I followed my precautions, I pushed as hard as I safely could. I still have a long way to go and patience isn't my long suit. I still fight the depression but clearly, it is getting better each week even if just by inches.
 
I'm almost at my 3 year anniversary - yay! Yesterday was the first warm(ish) dry weekend we have had for ages so my husband, the 2 girls and I took a walk up the Falls of Clyde to go the the peregrine watch spot. It is quite a walk up there and although it was a bit of a struggle, that was totally related to me being horribly unfit after winter rather than any hip pain. I'm a bit stiff today and I have some interesting muscle twinges in my calf muscles, but no other issues. Apart from a couple of episodes with the dreaded bursitis (one at approx 12 months post op and the second around 24 months) it has been great. I've got healthier, lost over 3 stone in weight and am feeling great!
 
Hello! Best wishes to all :)

Both hips are doing great. I am working on having my first child. Wow, time flies!
 
Hello everyone. 3 years today and it's not an April fools ;). Great to hear from you Nancy and glad you are doing so well. I am stronger but still have similar issues from the last time I wrote. l'm Still using a crutch when walking more then a very short distance as my leg still not able to do. No pain in hips but knees are my main problem , but have come to terms with it all - kind of, and getting on with life. Main benefit has been my back. Can't believe 3 years have flown so quick :). Hope everyone else is doing well.
 
I have merged the Class of 2011 and Class of 2012 Hippies as I am going to add the separate Class of 2013 Hippies

Enjoy!

Don't forget the NYE online party thread in the social room - please join in if you can, it would be fantastic to make this the biggest and best BS NYE party :)

April 16th will be the 2nd anniversary of my RTHR, and Oct. 29th will be for the LTHR. I am doing great! We have had such a miserable winter here in Nova Scotia and most of the rest of Canada. It started early and it's still going strong. Managed to get out for a walk on Saturday with my MP3 player, almost danced down the sidewalk when Footloose came on! I have had a few nights of not being able to sleep on my left side, I don't know what that's all about, but with the added half inch on the left one I don't have to wear my orthotics anymore which is a blessing. Well everyone take care and I'll try to remember to check in more often,
Deeceek
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Kylesh - Hippy Anniversary!!! One year ago today I got my new hip and started the rollercoaster ride to recovery.

Best wishes for those starting your own recovery and those still taking the rollercoaster ride.
 
For several years I have had a popping hip, over time it had gotten worse, turning into my "trick hip". I would be working around and feel a big pop, or a snap whatever you wanna call it, when someone would ask me what happened, knowing that at 37 I was pretty young for any real "problem" I would just smile and say, Oh that is just my silly trick hip again! One day it just gave out and I was not able to walk on it at all so I called the Dr and made an appointment. X-ray showed 2 cysts on the bone measuring about 2 cm. My Dr told me that it would not be the cause of the pain. It did improve slightly but I would go back every 6 months about and ask about the pain and still hear that the cysts would not be causing the pain. Last year I decided, ok lets try and lose some of my extra weight, I hit the gym hard! I would come home after Zumba class hardly being able to walk. My husband would ask, so is it worth it? and I would reply YES, it felt great while I was doing it. During that same period of time, I decided to visit a message therapist to help loosen up the tight muscles in the hip area, thinking that was maybe the reason for the pain. It really helped, I was able to sit criss cross apple sauce, something I hadn't been able to do for over a year! In April last year (about 1 year from the x ray) the Dr and I decided that something more had to get done. I went to a Ortho and he ordered a MRI, which really sucked to get done!! When I went back to get the results, he was speechless, not really knowing how to tell me that I had severe OA and there was not much that could be done to help! I was now almost 39 with no history of injury and family history of OA. We decide to try the cortisone shot, that helped for about 2 months. My limp was getting so bad nearly everyone commented on it and everyday things from sleeping to sneezing hurt. I would have to call my husband on the way home from work sometime and ask him to be outside when I got home cause I needed him help to walk to the house, it would take my 5 minutes sometimes to get the short distance the car to the door! One day I took that "long" walk to the door and when I got inside My husband greeted me with the normal, Hi Gimpy, How are you doing today? I was in such pain that day I started to cry and told him that any other day it was ok to say that, but today was not the day! I sat on the floor of my bedroom and cried! He came in and we talked and we decided that it was time to go back and talk to the Ortho about fixing this hip! I was setup for surgery without any question! November 5th, 2013 was my big day! It has been a long process healing, followed all my PT and things are great! I did have some post op depression, winter in MN . . . it is tough to be a prisoner in your home! I went back to work earlier then I planned, at 6 weeks only cause I couldn't stand being at home anymore! 5 months out now and I couldn't be happier! I can walk almost normal again and pain free for the most part, best decision I have made in a long time! I remember a week after surgery commenting to my husband after I sneezed that it didn't hurt, its the simple things, I feel blessed!! If I can give one tip to anyone for after surgery, massage really helped the healing process! The first time I was to do the straight leg lift, I almost cried, I couldn't lift my leg more then 2 inches. I went the next day and had my first message ~ post op, right afterward, I was able to lift my leg almost all the way, it was truly amazing the change that one message had made!
I do have a question for anyone, When I stand on one leg (stork like) There is a pain on the outside of the hip when I release the pressure, put my other leg down. Have any of you had this happen? And do you have any suggestions to help it? I do have my 5 month check up next week and I will ask them also, I just wanting to see if I am "normal"?
 
I do have a question for anyone said:
I have the same pain you describe when I stand on my RTHR leg. When I put the other leg down...the pain is similiar...but on inside of leg very high up near groin. I had my femoral head replaced, and the surgeon told me at the initial consultation, "you have no hip socket"...a congenital defect from birth. Never knew I had it! Except as a young girl when I ran around outside alot, I came home limping . Went away with a few hrs of down time. Lived in Manhattan and ran around on the subway with my high heels!
Surgery on 08/14/2014 to replace fermoral ball and drill a hole in hip to make a socket was successful. The hip movement was excellant 12 weeks after surgery. I limped around as a cripple for 10 years. When I couldn't walk short distances w/o severe pain and w/ a cane and getting into my car was "torture"..it was time to do something. My right pelvis had shrunk so much from the high hip dysplasia... I was 2.5+ inches shorter on the right side.
The orthopedic surgeon was Dr Stephen B Murphy at NE Baptist. Brilliant doctor. I live in NY suburb and there are several good hospitals and Drs around. None can compare to Dr Murphy who fixed me! Except for that "illium pain", I am in good shape. Had nothing wrong w/ me before surgery except hip.

I had 6 weeks in-house PT. 4 months of rehab and I go to gym for...water/zumba/ exercise therapy, swim, use whirlpool 5 days a week, and walk 1 mile every day. The pain in my self diagnosis of the illium hip flexor is what prevents me from walking pain free and still w/ a slight limp w/o my cane. I have 100% hip flexability... and move w/o pain except for the pain when I stand on my operated leg in the stork position or don't use my cane enough and start limping. My legs are even now. I take OTC ibuprofin if I have to walk or stand alot for a social occasion and they work OK.

I am becoming discouraged over this muscle pain inside of my upper thigh, near groin but deep inside. It prevents me from walking normally. Anyone have a similar problem after THR with the hip flexor muscles? How long to heal? Ever? This is a wonderful site I just found researching "illiopsoas"
 
I have been away for quite a while. Just wanted to say hello and report hips are great. I forget I had surgery! For those facing this procedure--I had great fears and was a surgery novice. But it was a matter of time and effort not pain and terror. It was the best thing I could have done--forged ahead with the two procedures about four months apart. Bonesmarties got me through. This forum made it possible---I can never thank Jo and her deputies enough. Some changes as life brings to all in time. I am now widowed since Dec. 2013 and though managing better than I thought I could, still adjusting and facing new realities. I send greetings to all--particularly the 2011 hipsters.
 
I have been away for quite a while. Just wanted to say hello and report hips are great. I forget I had surgery! For those facing this procedure--I had great fears and was a surgery novice. But it was a matter of time and effort not pain and terror. It was the best thing I could have done--forged ahead with the two procedures about four months apart. Bonesmarties got me through. This forum made it possible---I can never thank Jo and her deputies enough. Some changes as life brings to all in time. I am now widowed since Dec. 2013 and though managing better than I thought I could, still adjusting and facing new realities. I send greetings to all--particularly the 2011 hipsters.
I'm so sorry you lost your husband. It's hard to lose someone with whom you've shared life and love. Good for you for your positive outlook. I too, forget about the surgery and why "I can't" cross my legs anymore.
 
Hi, I am checking in also. Had such a great time doing my left hip, that we decided to do my right hip. I have one more run scheduled the Bellin Run half marathon in June and the will be going into pre-op training mode you know all the pre-op PT. My left hip went rather well, the Ortho Doc and my PT guy are both first class. The only life time restrictions that I do have are no jumping out of airplanes and no full marathon. Besides that all is great. I still kick myself in the backside for not doing my left hip a couple of years ago.
Peace be with you.
 
@octopus @Kylesh @Poppet !!!! Hippy Birthday My Hip today!!! I know I disappeared abruptly last fall, but it was simply because life was begging to be lived :) :)

Trying to make 12 months a short story here: great early recovery, at 8 weeks went shoe-shopping and bent over way too much lacing up those shoes, exacerbated the tendonitis, rested and rested for FOUR months, gained 20 lbs, was walking nightly up to 1.4 miles which became a lovely habit, finally got PT for it at 6 months. Everything resolved, went back to gym for treadmill and weights. Got to a good walking clip, gained upper body strength, losing the weight slooooowwwwwwly, all going well except the tendonitis sneaking around. And then...... we moved! Very suddenly, and my new hip carried me through everything-- packing, heaving boxes and furniture, the whole nine yards-- with flair and panache and hearts and rainbows and I AM SO HAPPY!

There is still pain from the tendonitis, will have to get that seen to regularly, I guess. I am back up to nearly max dose of ibuprofen and tylenol/paracetamol-- for the left hip. OS was supposed to call me back last week after looking at x-rays, but he and I have both had our plates full. ;) Scar looking good, fading slowly. I need to work on the strength and flexibility I lost during the 4-month rest period. Next time, I go to PT way sooner :)

An interesting side effect of this surgery was that my blood pressure, which dropped drastically post-op, never went back up too high again, so my BP med was cut back to a small "protective" dose for the heart. Cool!

Life with new hip is good. Can't wait to get the other one over with. I can't believe it's been a year :)
I promise to come back soon and visit with my cohort-- I miss yall so much, we had a good thing going.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies
(knew you'd like this) @zauberflöte. It's so good to hear from you. Glad you're doing well and are happy with that hip. We miss you and your wittiness. Don't be a stranger---drop us a line once in a while and let us know what's doing with you.

Take care, we care.
 
@zauberflöte , hi Chris, so great to get an update from you - and thrilled that you are doing well.. Do you have a date for your other hip? - miss you girl! - don't be a stranger now xxxxxx
 
@bottomshollow @Poppet thanks for jumping on my post :) See, here I am when I MUST be paying bills. This place is addictive, as we well know...

@bottomshollow would that I were so gorgeous-- that is a great little graphic. What's doing with us is that we moved last week into a rental "back in our home town" which we'd left 7 yrs ago, long story. So Here am I surrounded with boxes, no vacuum cleaner, three cats who are tearing up the window screens trying to get out, renting for the first time in over 30 years! The house in "not the home town" will have to be fixed up quickly for selling. Not looking forward to that. Older son getting married in less than two months and I have to plan a "rehearsal dinner" cookout/barbie for, it seems, up to 40 ppl. Last time I entertained on that scale was 30 years ago:yikes: . How many strings of lights will I need for the back yard, do we think?:heehee: Younger son left a good job to make the move, and is in my hair. Life is good!!!

@Poppet my special friend :) I don't have a date yet for LH. The OS PA was supposed to show the (fairly innocuous, unfortunately) x-rays to the OS two weeks ago and OS would get back to me on the subject of whether it "needed" to be replaced. My problem, of course, is that I know where it's headed, and I do not want to lose that much of my life again.
You are headed for winter again, but that retirement clock is looking better every day, yes? And your hip and back, how are they doing? Have you gotten any Nordic walking in? My new neighborhood is built on a long hill, and we are at the bottom of it. Walking up the street is very good exercise!

MUST go-- love to all :) :) :)
 
@zauberflöte lovely to hear from you and that you are doing so well. Isn't it fantastic to be able to do so much pain free! I have done a bit of travelling (just local but going overseas soon) and have walked for hours without any problems. Sorry to hear your other hip is troubling you, I guess the upside for us is that we will have you back at some stage when you get your other hip done. :) Good luck with the planning for the rehearsal dinner.
 
@octopus Travel=GOOD!!!! I haven't tried walking for hours but I did all that moving which did not bother the "new bad" hip as much as the treadmill does. Lost 3 pounds in a month while eating M&M's every day LOL!! Thanks for the well wishes-- you could also include wishes that I will find or make something to wear to this wedding-- oh help!!!!:rolleyes:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom