Guest viewing is limited

Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

Why thank you, Poppet. It is a time of reflection for me. It's been a big year of being able to do things. How are YOU doing? ..and how did you know I'm a cat princess? jk:thankyou::kitty chris:
 
I have merged the Class of 2011 and Class of 2012 Hippies as I am going to add the separate Class of 2013 Hippies

Enjoy!

Don't forget the NYE online party thread in the social room - please join in if you can, it would be fantastic to make this the biggest and best BS NYE party :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

As requested by several 2013 recovering hippies, here is your special thread to visit if you are not posting frequently :)
 
I recently had my left hip replaced utilizing the Superpath technique. My surgeon was Doctor Elvis Grandic in Boynton Beach Florida. I live in St Thomas Virgin Islands and traveled to Florida for the procedure. I had been suffering from severe osteoarthritis in the hip joint for several years and the joint was in bad shape. During surgery Dr Grandic made the proper adjustments so that my legs are perfectly equal in length now . As soon as the numbness from the anesthesia subsided, I was able to walk up and down the hall with a walker only hours after surgery. The next day I was able to climb stairs with a cane. I could not have been more impressed with the outcome of the surgery. The Bethesda West Hospital is a new and fabulous facility with the nicest staff you will find. I was treated very professionally and the facility is geared towards orthopedic care. Dr Grandic specializes in the Superpath technique and performs the procedure routinely. I would be surprised if anyone is more skilled at performing this surgery and he is an extremely nice man to boot . I can recommend Dr Grandic to anyone needing hip replacement surgery without reservation. The excellent facilities at Bethesda West is just icing on the cake.
 
Thanks for kicking off this thread with such a positive post @Sailfreeordie, I am thrilled for you that your surgical and hospital experience was so good :)

What class of boat do you sail?
 
A big HELLO to all Bonesmarties! I can't believe that it is over a year since my hip was done - my only regret is I did not have it done sooner! Sorry, 2 regrets - wish I'd found this website before the op!
This week I realised that the skin over the outside of my thigh has come back to life (after banging it on the footboard of our bed!) so nerves are still repairing. I still get very tired easily, have no stamina but I was so anaemic after the op - given 4 units of blood, then discharged with a huge pot of iron tablets as blood count was still low. They were desperate for my bed in the orthopedic ward, patients were backing up in the operating theatre recovery area, but I think maybe I was sent home too soon. Ah well, can't complain as it was all free on the NHS. I really feel for those in other countries who are worried always about the cost of their treatment. And as I am over 60 all medication is free.
I see @Dougb was told it's a marathon, not a sprint - how true!
I'll raise a glass on NYE to all, looking forward to 2014!:cheers:
Anne
 
sharonship, Come to think of it so am I. Hip doing great. Still recovering from knee 2012. Driving again and feeling like my life is coming back. Getting close to getting a dog so I can have another member of my family.
 
A dog, a doggie.. best exercise in the world!! He takes me out 5 - 6 times a day over all kinds of terrain, so the only formal exercise I need is the weights I do each morning!
 
Sorry for the delayed reply Poppet. I still have an Olson 30 ultralight race boat stateside on a trailer (no use to me here). I recently sold my 1979 42' Shad Turner design Transpac boat that was in storage in the Florida Keys. It was mid way through a refit and not ready to be sailed down to St Thomas. It was going to cost me a small fortune to have her shipped down here---so I sold her. She would have been a wonderful boat to have down here. As my hip replacement is affording me the hopes of returning to a normal lifestyle again, I am looking for another boat. Before the surgery I just didn't feel very enthused about scurrying about on the deck of a boat. Now it sounds like fun again, and the water and wind conditions here in the Virgin Islands are a sailors dream.
 
@Sailfreeordie, sailing is a love of ours also... Sadly though we have a wet boat, a 20 foot racing Hobie Cat and we compete in races. However my surgeon (he also has the same class of boat and races) has explained that the risks for me personally are too great, should we go over... so we will also be looking at a different boat... It is ok though, we have had years of fun with it and life moves on to new adventures and activities :(
 
@psychteach I thought @Sailfreeordie 's post might be of interest to you. Don't know whereabouts in FL you are, but maybe you could look into his referral?
I recently had my left hip replaced utilizing the Superpath technique. My surgeon was Doctor Elvis Grandic in Boynton Beach Florida. I live in St Thomas Virgin Islands and traveled to Florida for the procedure. I had been suffering from severe osteoarthritis in the hip joint for several years and the joint was in bad shape. During surgery Dr Grandic made the proper adjustments so that my legs are perfectly equal in length now . As soon as the numbness from the anesthesia subsided, I was able to walk up and down the hall with a walker only hours after surgery. The next day I was able to climb stairs with a cane. I could not have been more impressed with the outcome of the surgery. The Bethesda West Hospital is a new and fabulous facility with the nicest staff you will find. I was treated very professionally and the facility is geared towards orthopedic care. Dr Grandic specializes in the Superpath technique and performs the procedure routinely. I would be surprised if anyone is more skilled at performing this surgery and he is an extremely nice man to boot . I can recommend Dr Grandic to anyone needing hip replacement surgery without reservation. The excellent facilities at Bethesda West is just icing on the cake.
 
Yes...I really wanted to use Grandic.. He is not on my school insurance plan...any other florida people...give a holler!! Just want a second opinion...think with any surgery that is a good idea.
 
Thought I would check-in. I had good intentions about visiting this forum, but the first few weeks after surgery were, well, strange. I had never been hospitalized overnight, been on an IV for three days or had someone else's leg erroneously attached to my body before, so I am just now saying hello.
I had a total left hip-replacement, anterior approach due to severe osteoarthritis 11/21. My surgeon was Dr. Thomas Tkach at McBride in OKC. I would wear a t-shirt advertising him if I could.
My joint pain was gone immediately upon awakening after surgery. I lettered in three sports in HS, Cross-country running, Cross-country skiing and Track. 37-years later it caught-up to me, big-time.
I ran almost to the very-end, but when I had to quit a 5k after 3.5K in February 2013 due to pain, I knew something was wrong, but did not go to the Dr for another two-months. I was called by my doctors office within two-hours after the x-ray, and the first words out of their mouth were, "Do you have an orthopedic surgeon you want us to refer you to?
A gentleman I had shared an office with for four years had his hip done by Tkach, so I already knew where to go.
I should have done it sooner!!!
I walked 190-feet the day after surgery, and went on a tour of the entire floor the next. By the third-day, I was pushing my walker (for appearances) to the coffee machine, unattended.
I did my PT religiously, even though it sucked. There was someone else's leg on my body that refused to do what I told it to. It wasn't that bad, but when you go from running a half-marathon in October 2012, to hip-replacement in Nov 2013 and not being able to put TED-hose on by yourself (honey, could you put on my yellow grippy sock for me).... I pretty much was continuously amused by my left leg.
After two weeks, I could walk 3/4's of a mile with no pain. I am just over seven weeks out, and I went back to work full-time this past Monday at 6.5 weeks. Basically, the first work day after those awful hose got to come off! I had no issues with pain this week at all, but I did sleep really good every night. That being said, I still cannot sleep on my left side, the quad still has a few issues, and that is also where the screws are.
I have been told by everyone from therapists to nurses to people who have had the surgery before, that I am not normal. I don't believe that for a minute. I tried to be in the best condition possible before surgery, I ate well while in the hospital and after and I did everything asked of my by health care professionals concerning my recovery (and to be honest, just a bit more.) That is just me. I took my pills when I was supposed to and when I did not need the norco anymore I quit taking it. I wanted to be able to drive.
Six weeks at home was all I could stand! People in the hall at work say, "I thought you had surgery." I did, and I also did whatever was asked of me in my recovery, and that is what is not normal.
Look, if you are thinking about it, do it. If you want a crappy recovery, pretend you are the doctor or therapist, and see how that goes for you. If you want to get back on your feet, do what they ask.
I wont lie and say it is pleasant, it is anything, but. After four weeks my therapist canceled the rest of our sessions and said she did not want to bill the insurer for services that were not needed. I am still doing my PT exercises, walking a lot, taking the stairs at work instead of the elevator and this afternoon I even did my breathing exercises with that plastic thing.
Do your PT reps then ingest some protein and carbs. This is not the time to be doing WW or reducing your caloric intake. When you are not doing PT, rest, preferably in bed with your leg elevated. Use ice, lots of ice. Then do it all over again, and you will be on your feet again sooner than the norm. I put on ten-pounds in six weeks, but I can walk with no pain and no cane, neither of which I could do before surgery. I can lose the weight later. Yes, I had to buy new pants to go back to work. Oh well!
It is so nice to be able to sleep seven or eight hours again! I thought I was getting old and would be doomed to four or five hours of terrible sleep a night for the rest of my life. I wasn't old, I just had arthritis.
Apologies for any typos.

Peace.
 
I think it is wonderful that you healed as well and fast as you did. Did you only have arthritis in the one area? You are blessed if you do/did. My sister in-law had her knee replaced and like you was up and hiking with in 4 weeks over 4 miles. That is great when I read about those who bounce back so quickly. The truth is you are one out of a hundred and not the norm for recovery. I wish I healed like you did! I was up and showering and using the toilet and walking by myself the first day. When I went to joint camp and seen the others who were in so much pain it made me sad. I can be out spoken sometimes as a nurse I reported I did not do anything until 30 minutes after I got my pain medications. i kept to this rule and I think it did help get me going sooner. Now I am taking longer to heal after this point so far. I had my first THR Oct 31, 2013 and my second 7 weeks later Dec 23rd, 2013. both are taking a lot longer than your recovery. Left is feeling no pain and right side hurts as much as my left did before surgery so each surgery is so different even for the same person. So glad you are doing so well. You give me hope at the end of my tunnel. Have a good day!!
 
Wow, two replacements in such a short period. You are made of better stuff than I am. Fortunately, it is just my left side. I will need my left knee replaced at some point. Oddly enough, it was knee pain that first sent me to the physician four-years ago. They told me then that it was arthritic, but that I could continue to run... And I did.
Only cycling from now on. I know I won't like the answer I get tomorrow. I am a couple of months away from cycling and I am getting fat.
Fortunate is relative. I am lucky I only have osteoarthritis on my left side. Why on the left and not the right? I don't know but like I said I am fortunate. I have met so many people, so much worse-off and in pain I cannot imagine..., I just thank my lucky stars.
Also, there are many things that are now off my bucket list. I will never run another marathon, downhill ski again or jump out of an airplane. I am free! I can volunteer or spectate, and if they ask why I am not running, skiing or not jumping out of a perfectly good airplane; I will ask them, "Wanna see my scar?"
I also no longer have to feel guilty if there are not enough chairs for everybody:)
So, keep plugging away, we are rooting for you.
 
I am a plugging and even though I woke up in elevated pain this morning i slept 8 hours in a row. First time in two years and I am a happy girl. My goals are #1 to dance with my Dad at his 80th birthday down in YUMA, #2 Ride on the back of my cousin Betty's Harley. She rides with her husband who belongs to a Marine Corp motorcycle club. and #3. I want to get back to work. I planned on working until I turned 70. Most of my clients were retired and I cannot see myself sitting around gathering dust. Even in the pain and lack of mobility I had/have I had tools that let me work my gardens. I live on an acre. Not much but I own it. I also want to travel the USA visiting all the National Parks we have here. I do love to camp and miss being able to. I miss boating also. Like you I have a lot of things I need to do on my bucket list also. I am in the baby step mode right now as I want to heal correctly and not rush it. Thank you for your support I appreciate it!
 
@Nannyannie, I am so glad to see you. Happy birthday to you. Glad you are doing so good. Good to hear from you. Take care. Tashia
 
Hi Michael, welcome. No Migraines, but I have had a pain in the, yeah, there. if you need a laugh, head over to the Hippie Scars post-op forum to check out the badge of honor area. Sounds like you probably have some good pictures to add.
 
@DreamChaser88 Hi Michael, welcome to Bonesmart! You certainly have been having a rough time of things. Coping with pain is exhausting and certainly doesn't help with depression either. I'm glad you've found us, stick around and you will get plenty of support here. Do start your own thread, it's a great way to get the support you need. :)
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom