TKR Clara welcomes her new knee!!!

@Celle I really don't have pain anymore, I do have stiffness, there is a gentleman, where I go for PT that had his surgery a day after mine, June 14th, I asked him if his knee felt stiff, he said he applies gentle heat and it helps, is it safe and do you think it would really help, many of us have the same complaint, I still ice and elevate frequently during the day, but the stiffness is always there.

Thank you,
 
@uva55 Hey Clara! How are you feeling today? How much longer will you be at the beach? I loved reading that you were no longer in pain , just stiffness. Are you ok sleeping in a different bed?

Love the idea of a TKR rehab, seaside :yes!:
 
@dianehelen actually the first time I was able to sleep all night in any position was here at the beach, Saturday night, I'm feeling pretty good, a little more energy, I don't need naps, no pain, I take Tylenol arthritis formula at bedtime and if I'm uncomfortable when I wake up only. Still no appetite, still a little swollen, I still ice and elevate during the day only, not bad for 5 1/2 weeks. It's really nice not to hear my knee grind or have arthritis pain. I've done a little cooking, I still want to milk that a little longer, lol...I hate cooking when I don't want to eat.

We go back home Saturday, we have friends that got here today, they always join us for two days when we come, which is nice.

I wish I could open a B&B on the beach...there is one in Anna Maria Island, Harrington House, we have stayed there before, it's on the water, it's amazing, there us another one in St Augustine,, it's called St Augustine B&B,no kids allowed, it's also on the water also amazing.

One can dream!!!
 
Ahhh you sound SOOOO good.. that makes my heart sing.. and feel hopeful.

Enjoy the rest of your time at the beach. Maybe one day when I am past this hard stuff, and we are out in st pete, you and your hubby can come across the bay, and and we can share a sunset and a bottle of wine :)
 
@Celle I really don't have pain anymore, I do have stiffness, there is a gentleman, where I go for PT that had his surgery a day after mine, June 14th, I asked him if his knee felt stiff, he said he applies gentle heat and it helps, is it safe and do you think it would really help, many of us have the same complaint, I still ice and elevate frequently during the day, but the stiffness is always there.
@uva55 - Clara, the warmth is probably soothing for him, but it's really not a good idea to apply heat to your knee yet. The heat brings more blood to your knee, which could increase the swelling again.

That stiffness is indeed very common and it can linger for quite a long time, but it does gradually go away. Even after a year, my TKR knees would still get stiff if I had been sitting or lying for a while but, by that stage, the stiffness went away after I had taken a few steps. My private theory is that it happens because moving your knee supplies lubrication to your joint, while sitting still does not. So, taking a few steps is like putting a bit of oil on a stiff hinge. It isn't really oil, of course, but that's how I think of it.

According to this article, the stiffness is caused by swelling inside your knee capsule, so rest, ice and elevation are the way to treat it.
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Josephine will tell you, too, that stiffness is one of the ways in which you feel pain in your knee, so don't forget to take your pain meds, even if you have cut back to the milder ones.
 
@dianehelen yes, Vancouver is s a beautiful city, and Vancouver island is beautiful with gorgeous sunsets, but you can't beat the warm gulf waters, the warm weather. I'd take Florida if I had a choice. With a/c, of course.

@uva55. Sign me up for that B&B. I'm on my way.
Can't believe you are not in pain. That is amazing and wonderful.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@uva55. Thank you! I figured it would add to the swelling. I guess we'll have to put up with it for a while yet.
 
@sistersinhim I had that feeling it would, but I thought maybe we could, the gentleman's knee does not look swollen, which really annoys me and makes me very jealous, just kidding.:gaah:

Oh well, ice has been very kind to us, so we must remain loyal a while longer:ice:
 
At least ice is easy to do. That gentleman's knee is probably swollen on the inside and he's not helping himself in the long run.

Are you still vacationing? I'm jealous of your and Diane's week away. Camping is still out of the question at this time. Maybe in another month I'll be ready. Where we go has power so I can have ice if needed!
 
I know you hate that. But, just think, the next time you go, you can get in the water! That will make it perfect!
How's dad?
 
Dad is doing well, they changed his insulin which is supposed to be much better for him...We'll see. Thanks for asking!
 
Oh good. I know that's a load off your mind. And how are you today?
 
@sistersinhim if there is one area that I'm really having a problem with is, as I've mentioned before my appetite or lack of, I don't feel nauseous all day but certain smells make my stomach turn. I just don't want anything, I'm not taking any meds that could be causing this, if it's not better by Monday, I guess I'll call my PCP, it's a terrible feeling. I can't believe this can be normal after almost 6 weeks?

I don't even want to be around my husband and friends that are here at the beach with us, you know how it is, everyone wants to eat and drink at the beach all day, I just want to slap the food out of their hand, why can't they go on a hunger strike with me??? Hahaha
 
It is disappointing to not enjoy food anymore. Marilyn brought home Popeye's chicken strips tonight and I did enjoy that. But, there's little else I want. I have to force most everything I eat. It's not the meds because I'm taking very few compared to just a few weeks ago. Of course, with my big mistake yesterday, I've been back on them last night and today. But, before that it was mostly just Tylenol and an occasional Tramadol. Are you taking any vitamins? I find that some of those make me feel sick, so I'm taking very few of those. Our bodies need food, especially protein. Thank God I can drink those protein drinks! Have you given them a try?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom