TKR Clara welcomes her new knee!!!

Well here it is 3:00 a.m and I can't sleep, I don't feel bad, just can't sleep. I think the brain is just on overload.:bored:

I spent some time with my dad Saturday and Sunday and he still doesn't seem like himself, my son has been staying with him while his new home is being remodeled but he will be moving out in the next couple of weeks and I no longer feel my dad should live by himself, he has refused to move in with us the past and I understand how important his independence is, but so is his safety. All I want is for him to be safe and happy, my mom's birthday is the 31st and next month will be 2 years since she's been gone and this may be part of the problem, I know it's still hard for me so I can't even imagine how he feels, they had been married almost 60 years and together 70.

I'm also dreading going back to work next week, I think both of these things are keeping me awake...:blackcloud:
 
Hi Clara. I'm tortured by not sleeping also. Last night I took one benedryl at 11ish. Next thing I knew it was 4:30 am. Then fell back to sleep for awhile. Have you tried benedryl? Only negative is that I have a stuffy feeling in my head, sort of like a light hangover. Guessing it will wear off.
 
Clara, I understand the stress you're in and am praying for you. You have so much going on all at one time. At least you have a wonderful day yesterday! Hopefully, you can take lots of naps today. Watching our parents age is so difficult. Mama had dementia and I was her POA for about 3 years before she passed on. About a year before she passed, she didn't know me anymore. That hurt so much. Not so much for me, but for losing what she was. Hug and kiss your dad as much as you can!
 
Clara, it can take a while for the elderly to get back to being themselves after a hospital stay from a traumatic experience. My dad was definitely not himself last autumn after he fell, broke his hip, was ambulanced to the hospital and had a THR. It took a few weeks before he was himself again. But he is back to his old habits and activities now at the age of 86, grocery shopping, mowing the lawn, etc. We were worried as you are, but there is hope.

But, A NEW PURSE! Holy Smokes, a new purse does it for me every time! I ordered a purse on line from my hospital bed on cyber Monday after my infection surgery. But I'm so happy to hear you seem to have rounded a bend and am hoping you still feel well today. :thumb:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have good news and sort of bad news, I had PT this morning my ROM went from 101 to 116:happydance::dancy::spin:
Now the not so good news, because I'm better at giving advice than taking it, after PT I went to Marshalls then I went grocery shopping, NOT A GOOD IDEA :banghead:I was not able to do all my shopping, only got stuff for lunch and dinner tonight. I thought I was going to pass out...I had to buy a coke and sit in my car with the a/c going full blast for around 15 minutes before I could drive home, thank goodness I don't live far!

@Barnmom22 I do take benadryl, but last night I was tired due to my outing, so I thought I would be ok, when I woke up at 2:45, I knew I had PT this morning so I didn't want to take it then, I'm taking 2 tonight :sleeep:

@sistersinhim I do hug, kiss, and tell my dad I love him every day, I have never taken them for granted. I lost my mom 12 weeks after she was diagnosed with cancer, so I know just how important each day is.

@KarriB my son is staying with him and he tells me my dad is doing good, he enjoys spending time with is 2 and 5 year old great grandkids. I know you are right, it's taken him a few days in the past, the last time was when had his a shoulder surgery but he was at my house for 6 weeks so I wasn't as worried I guess.
 
Oh no, you didn't! Be sure and just ice, elevate and rest the rest of the day and probably a couple of more days! It takes a while to get out of that darn club!

I wish I still had my parents. I miss them so. But, I'll see them again!
 
Yup. When we get good news off we go to the ODIC. It feels sooo good, for a while. Then you realize you've done too much and you can barely return to your car!
But your ROM is awesome! Of course you wanted to do a normal activity.

I would guess that the upcoming anniversary of your mom's death is unsettling your dad. And the bout of very low blood sugar didn't help, either. It's hard to know what's best for aging parents but good to be thinking of options which may be necessary.

I cannot believe you are going back to work. That would be part of your insomniac night for sure. Can you take more time off? Will you have to put in full days? Perhaps if you have to return next week taking it easy might restore some more healing? After all, your flexion IS improving. :tada:
 
Best wishes, Clara, hope you get a good sleep, and a good rest for the knee.
 
It is very difficult worrying about our elderly parents. My dad's mind is fading and I also lost my mom just a few months after she was diagnosed with cancer. My younger brother is his full time caregiver but they live so far from me it's difficult for me to be able to see him. I'm sure with him on your mind and worrying about work your mind just wouldn't let your body go to sleep.

Your ROM is great! With this heat wave we are all having it is hard to go out and do anything at all. I hope tonight you are able to get a good night's sleep.
 
@mamazipp the medical billing office where I work is small we don't even qualify for family medical leave, I had 5 weeks of vacation accumulated and my boss allowed me two take 2 additional weeks, which when he spoke to me he made it sound like he was going to pay me but I have heard conflicting stories, so I really don't know...I had $15,000.00 out of pocket expenses with this surgery, don't you love insurance, so I really can't afford to stay out without pay...right now I work a 4 day work week, Monday thru Thursday, I know my boss would be flexible if I decide to take Wednesday instead of Friday for a few weeks, or even work 5 days, shorter hours, but I don't think I want the five days, there is always drama going on and I need my three days so I don't end up in jail :rolleyes: let's see how I do once I start. My plan is to leave in December, 23 years is enough mental cruelty :yikes:
I've been ready to leave for a while but since I had already met $2000.00 deductible we decided it would be best to get the knee done and all follow ups associated with it before I leave.

So 2017 will be an exciting new year with a new knee and a happier less stressed me!!!
 
Yes, I know about insurance. My co-insurance paid $95 and I will have to pay over $1300. Does that make sense? They are getting over $400 a month premium. What for? I might as well drop them. I'd come out way ahead.
 
I think the first horrible surgery that was poorly done cost me about $15,000 too. I was very lucky this time as my total expenses for my revision was over $185,000! Imagine if I still had that old insurance.i would have had to sell my house.
 
@newlybionic it's terrible, I'm trying to look at it as an investment in my future, my ability to do normal things and be happy is worth much more than that, but it is still ridiculous how insurance has changed!!!
 
Oh, my. I am so fortunate to have Medicare and a Medigap plan. I haven't had to pay a penny out of pocket. I really feel for those who have a financial burden besides everything else we go through. I sure hope you have a restful healing night, Clara.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Clara welcomes her new knee!!! [Bonesmart.org] Clara welcomes her new knee!!!

@Barnmom22 the first picture was on July 18th with scab, the other is today, no scab :)
 
@uva55 your scar looks great! I hear you about your job. Yeah, not much flexibility there. You'll just have to pace yourself and see how it goes. Spend lunch breaks with ice on your knee. It's ironic that you work for a medical billing office, billing people for procedures for which you've had to pay plenty, yourself.

Like @Floridagal I have Medicare and medigap insurance, as I am a Canadian Resident, but US citizen and my work life was in the states. My surgery cost me nothing in copay, including 4 weeks in horrible rehab. My real cost was having to hire someone back home for a few days as I wasnt sure how much I could do alone at home.
But, of course, it costs me a lot of money going back and forth to Seattle for checkups, as those damn ferries are very expensive.
The surgery would have been free in Canada, but there is no rehab, no aftercare, and a yearlong waiting list. I'd still be waiting.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom