THR Chocolatine's New Hip

It's been one month since my surgery.

The calf pain persisted for two days after my ER visit, mainly when I would lie down to sleep. Then it disappeared as quickly as it appeared. I felt kind of embarrassed by the whole ER experience, but glad I got it checked out. And definitely glad it was nothing serious.

I've made such huge strides in so many things. I got myself dressed really quickly and efficiently this morning, which made me happy. The first two weeks were a big struggle. I took two short outside walks yesterday, and I was moving pretty easily. I am not sure I am walking as well as I should be, but it was definitely an improvement. I am doing my PT exercises, and every day they get a little better.

It snowed again here today, so no outside walks for me. Planning to go to the grocery store tomorrow for the first time since my THR. My teenage son is going to drive- glad we live close to the store. I still may chicken out if the driveway looks slick.

I am a little down about the fact that I still have hip pain on the operative leg. I know it's early, but I expected pain in my thigh, or knee or at the incision site. This really feels like the joint, right at the side of the hip. It's pretty much the same pain I had before surgery, just less intense. I have some pain when I walk- not sure I have had any pain-free walking since the surgery.

I was really dismayed when I woke up at 4 am yesterday because of hip pain. My old hip was really painful with big changes in the weather, and I was not surprised to hear heavy rain outside. Then I thought, but I have a new hip! How can it react to the rain? Google tells me it's possible, which is very disappointing, lol. Anyone else have this? Did it resolve?

I am just venting a little here, then I will go back to focusing on the positives. Way too early days yet!
 
@Chocolatine It's way okay to vent. Where else are people going to understand the way you're feeling? Yes, even at a month you can still have pain. It is around the hip: the soft tissues. It's a reminder that it takes a while for everything to heal and we all do it at different rates. Those are the same soft tissues that had to compensate for that nasty hip and how you had to move then. Same deal but on a good healing note. All temporary. There will be a day when you do some things and don't think about your hip. Then you have longer periods of time until it's rare that you think about it. I know that might seem impossible right now. I did. But it will happen. It feels like magic so it's something to look forward to.

Being a weather barometer gets a bit better but the more joints you have that like to get involved, the more you feel like The Weather Channel! The ankle I injured in college is the most reliable weatherman around. Lol. Hang in there. We're always here for you. Blessings for continued good healing.
 
@Hip4life Thank you- that's really encouraging. I think the pain and the snow arriving together kind of derailed me today. My plans for tonight include an ice pack, my book and a fuzzy blanket. Tomorrow is a new day!

And lol about feeling like The Weather Channel!
 
My old hip was really painful with big changes in the weather, and I was not surprised to hear heavy rain outside. Then I thought, but I have a new hip! How can it react to the rain? Google tells me it's possible, which is very disappointing, lol. Anyone else have this? Did it resolve?
I have the same problem with colder/rainy weather still making me achy. I'm glad I'm not a complete hypochondriac
It's real ladies, It is true that you can feel weather changes in your joint.

It's especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.

Wishing the Chocolate Girls a great week! :SUNsmile:
 
Thanks for the explanation, @Layla It's fascinating. Good to hear the aches are likely to disappear eventually.
 
Yes, my hip tells me when it's going to rain. The woman I help with dog rescue has had back surgery so the two of us are like barometers!
It's chilly here in New England, no snow yet, thank goodness but hip does not like cold.
We will be in the Virgin Islands for 2 weeks after holidays, sun and aqua blue water to soak in!
Hip wants to live there.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, Chocolatine!
I hope you're having a good week and enjoying the progress you're making.
Best wishes for a happy holiday season with all those you hold dear...and many blessings in the New Year!
@Chocolatine
 
Merry Christmas! :presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

I want to say thank you to all of you who have answered my questions, listened to my worries and commiserated with my weird pains. It's helped more than you know.

Today is six weeks since my surgery, but my follow-up won't be until 8 weeks because of the holidays. I figure another two weeks of being conservative with my movements can't hurt. But I would like to be driving again asap.

The weather here is much warmer than usual, which is a little eerie, but it's been great for my daily walks. I am still using a cane, but the decrease in pain has been noticeable. Before the THR, I had to stop every few houses because of hip pain. Now I can go smoothly around the block without stopping. I won't break any speed records, but I am happy with where I am.

I am having some hip and knee pain doing two of my PT exercises, so I have quit those for the time being. The rest are getting easier and easier. I do wish I had better range of motion at this point. My hip still feels very tight, and I am not sure that I will be able to put on socks, clip toenails, etc. I don't know what is reasonable to expect at 6 weeks.

But right now the house is warm and cozy, I can smell dinner in the oven and I can hear my teenage sons laughing and playing their new video game. All is good in my world! Hope things are good in yours.
 
It sounds like you're having a very good, safe, and sane recovery. Bonus points for your home holiday vibe! :wreath:

Muscle that's been through surgery and allowed to heal well usually takes 6-8 weeks to heal, and the tightness can persist for some time afterwards as muscles and tendons adjust to their new reality.
 
Thank you for the lovely note, @Chocolatine.

It sounds like you are off to a really good start with this recovery. If there are PT exercises that cause discomfort, you are wise to stop doing them for a while. And remember that walking is actually the best exercise for recovery from a THR because HIPS do not need physical therapy! (In fact, my surgeon wouldn't even order PT after mine).

At six weeks, you are still early days in this recovery. Don't worry about range of motion; it comes back slowly. One day you will surprise yourself being able to put on that sock without assistance!

Enjoy your holiday with your family!
 
Merry Christmas!
Sounds like you are doing well! There’s still a few things I can’t do at 10 weeks. All of a sudden, boom.
It’s a marathon, not a sprint. My hubby keeps reminding me of that. Have a happy new year.
 
Happy New Year! Hope all of you have a great year!

It's been 7 weeks since my surgery, and this past week had its ups and downs. I have had an increase in hip pain, and I had to go back to taking Tylenol in the morning and evening. I am icing. I had some pain on my daily walk, so I stopped for a few days to see if it would improve. I had a great walk yesterday and today, so I am hopeful that the pain was just a passing thing. I have had bursitis before (relieved with an injection) and I don't want it again.

I had my second (and apparently final) post-op PT session on the 27. The public healthcare system went from four sessions to two, which was a surprise to me. The session wasn't strenuous, but I felt an increase in pain for a few days after it. She noted that I have very visible atrophy of the glute muscles on the R leg. How do I know if getting additional private PT sessions would be helpful? When do I know I can start strengthening exercises? I feel like it's too early now, but would it be a good idea later?

My biggest preoccupation right now is that I have to have my gallbladder removed. It's full of stones and needs to go, but I am not looking forward to another surgery and recovery. I don't have a date yet, but the surgeon said most likely March. Sigh.
 
Back
Top Bottom