THR Chocolatine's New Hip

@Goma The traveling aches and pains are so weird! So glad your back pain went away- that's the worst.

The pain in my left hip was bad for 24 solid hours, then it disappeared. I was happy to see it go, but I am definitely still a little freaked out by it.

About three weeks ago, I started sleeping on my left side (my preferred side) for a few hours a night. The bursitis-type pain in my right hip started about a week after I changed sleeping positions. Pretty sure the change caused pain in both hips. I think the tendons on my right hip are just pulled too hard in that position, even with a pillow between my knees. I think the left hip may have just been annoyed with all the pressure on it. But who knows?

I can no longer lie on my left side for longer than a few minutes now, so I am once again sleeping on my back. It's a good way to see if the change helps the pain, but I really miss lying on my side!
 
I tried a pillow between my knees but it was worse for me. I felt more discomfort and muscle pain and went back to sleeping on my back which I didn't mind.

Now I side sleep on both sides comfortably.
 
I am just about 10 weeks today and things have been going very well.

But I had an absolutely bizarre fall about two hours ago. One of our dining table chairs collapsed under me. I went straight down onto the hardwood floor and my sacrum/tailbone. I was able to get up, I can walk and the area of impact was not on my hip. My rear-end hurts, but it does not seem urgent.

Do I need to get this checked out? Why does everything happen on weekends?
 
I had some hip pain when I got up this morning, but I don't think the fall made it worse.

I am just so frustrated. I injured my tailbone years ago (fell on ice while hugely pregnant) and it took forever to heal.
 
The jarring force of any fall creates all kinds of aches and pains. Just be good to yourself for now. Rest, ice if needed and have a chill day. Sounds like you landed right and just need to let things settle.
 
OUCH! Having landed on my tailbone when a rolling chair rolled away, I feel your pain! More ice please... and make it a double!
(hip and tailbone!)
 
@mendogal It's the worst, isn't it?

I think I actually fell further up on my sacrum, not my tailbone as I previously thought. The pain is actually not so bad when I sit. It shows up when I bend over or climb the stairs.

As far as I can tell, the advice is the same- ice, Tylenol and rest. Not sure I am going to get anything out of seeing my GP right now. I'll just see how things go for the next few days.

I know what I'll be doing as I rest though- browsing the internet for dining room chairs! These have to go!
 
I fell through a chair when I was almost 9 months pregnant. My father was with me and he got the fright of his life.

I hope you're feeling better and echoing the ice and rest.
 
Thanks for the well-wishes. My tailbone/sacrum was achy this morning, but ice really helped. It's certainly much better than yesterday and the day before.

I am going to take a short stroll with my daughter this afternoon. Might be a bad idea, but it's sunny and our road is clear. That's rare up here in January. Need to take advantage of it.

I am definitely not sitting on any of those chairs again!
 
I fell through a chair when I was almost 9 months pregnant. My father was with me and he got the fright of his life.

I hope you're feeling better and echoing the ice and rest.
How terrifying! I hope you weren't seriously hurt.

My elderly father was up here visiting us until recently. I am so thankful that I fell victim to the chair and not him.
 
Wasn't hurt just shocked . My second son arrived shortly afterwards.

I'll never forget it though. Should have been funniest home videos.:rotfl:
 
I am going to my GPs office this afternoon to get an x-ray requisition. My hip and upper thigh felt swollen last night, and I am having some pain at the front and side of my hip. I was a little more active yesterday, so that could be it. Or just soft-tissue injury acting up. I think it's pretty unlikely that anything terrible happened, but I just need some peace of mind.

Post-op care is really lacking here, and my fall put that into focus. It's so frustrating that I really don't have a way of contacting the orthopedic surgeon, or even a receptionist to leave a message. I saw him 8 weeks post-THR and it was kind of a disaster. He was unable to access my file because the appointment was made for the wrong office. He did answer my list of questions thoroughly, but could not give me any specifics because he did not have the surgical notes. He was asking me things like, "Do you know if you had a lot of blood loss?" Sigh.
 
I had x-rays taken Thursday afternoon right after the visit with a GP. They took a lot of different views, which was reassuring. The doctor told me that she has a "no news is good news" policy, which is not my favorite. I have not gotten a phone call yet, so I am assuming that the radiologist didn't see anything concerning. So good news in that respect.

I had a terrible night last night though. The pain seems to shift from my sacrum to my hip and back again as I change positions. I have a known issue with the SI joint on that side, so it may be flaring up as a result of the fall.

I don't really know how to proceed here. Should I be walking at all? I haven't progressed past a pretty slow stroll around our block using a cane. Maybe even that is too much at this point. I am just so angry and frustrated about the fall and what appears to be a pretty big setback.

I am trying to concentrate on the big improvements I have seen. We have a ton of stairs in our house, and I can go up and down without issue- no cane and with alternating feet. My friend told me on Friday that she can't believe how much my gait has improved. I put a sock on almost normally yesterday!

Just wish this pain would go away!
 
I think that half of my daily exercise is wrestling myself in and out of bed. I have finally found a method that incorporates my leg lifter, my headboard, my bedside stand and my walker at various stages but I have been determined to do it myself - not always a good trait. I don’t have any bending restrictions so I just wriggle around until I’ve got my feet on the floor and my hands on my walker. Such a sense of accomplishment when I manage to make it to the bathroom and back! I guess I’ll take any success I can find. Good luck on your recovery.
 
Back
Top Bottom