Guest viewing is limited

TKR Celle's Left TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the family arrived about 6 yesterday evening. we all had fish and chips for dinner adn everyone settled in very well.

The two little girls have been very good and (so far) have been careful of my knee. I must tell you that I learned something priceless from the five-year-old:
Ava - looking at my knee scar - "How did the doctor do that cut? What sort of a knife did he use?"
Me - "With a special knife they use in hospital. It's called a scalpel."
Ava - "Ohhhh! Like when you have a a baby and the baby can't get out. The doctor cuts your bottom off and then when the baby's out, he stitches your bottom back on."

So, ladies, now you know why childbirth can be a painful experience! :snork::rotfl::rofsign:
Do I need to tell you all that their mother is a nurse, who used to work in the operating theatre?

Last night in bed it went well. I did wake up for about an hour and I didn't sleep quite as soundly as I had been doing, but I think I'll get used to it. John stirred when I turned the electric jug on, to make the tea. He didn't rouse when I turned the TV on, with the sound turned down. His face was shielded from the light by the duvet, so that helped.

I saw my GP today and he was pleased with me. I had my pain medications renewed, although I have cut down a bit on the Tramadol - I forgot to take a couple of doses until they were over an hour overdue, so those were the ones I cut down the following day.

We're having a birthday BBQ this evening, for our grand-daughter, who was three last Saturday. I shan't do anything towards it, except for blowing up a few balloons!
 
Hello Caryl @Celle

Love the explanation of childbirth, now I know why it hurt so much ! :heehee:

Great excitement with the birthday Bar-B-Que and your decision to be in charge of balloons.

Your first night back in the main bedroom seems to have gone well and both you and John will get used to the new routine. I'm planning on going back tonight and will let you know how it goes.

Take care,
Cathie
 
@Celle It is amazing what comes out of mouths of toddlers! :heehee: Glad your first night back in bed went pretty good! Enjoy your family and have a great day!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Celle's Left TKR
@Celle, out of the mouths' of babes----absolutely PRICELESS and FUNNEEEE :rotfl:! Also good to hear that things are going well for you.
 
Oh @Celle :rofsign:I absolutely love your granddaughters definition of childbirth. Oh my, that was hilarious. I wish after my third child, the doctor had sewn me a smaller bottom back on, along with a booty lift!!!

I'm glad they're being careful around you. They sound like lovely children they really do. I was pleased to read that you got on ok with the GP and that you're reducing the meds. I can't wait until I'm at that stage. Hopefully not too much longer xxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xoxox
 
Hello all!

Last night was another OK one. John did wake up when I turned on the little light, but he soon went back to sleep. I would still prefer to be on my own, because I am conscious all the time of trying not to disturb him. He's a person who needs a lot of sleep, or else he is a zombie the next day. However, I think we will both adjust.

It is lovely to have the family here. It's been 12 years since our son lived in NZ and we really have missed him. His wife is working well with John, sharing the cooking jobs. I think it's easier for her than it would be if I were in the kitchen with her. She can feel free to cook what she wants, whenever she wants.
The children still eat earlier than the adults in the evening, so she feed them and then she and John both prepare the adults' meal.

To tell the truth, I enjoyed doing nothing towards the BBQ yesterday evening. I just sat in my chair, with my leg elevated on a stool and watched it all happen.

My cats are coping well with the children. Sophie, the grey one, has her breakfast and then disappears under the bed for a few hours. She will let the older granddaughter stroke her, but still runs away from the three-year-old.
Feydi, the Burmese, is quite laid back. She allows both girls to stroke her, and she purrs as they are doing it. She even allowed the older girl to pick her up this morning.

This lunch-time, I was sitting reading them a story, with one girl on each side of me and Feydi on my knee. She allowed them both to stroke her, but when she had had enough she just gave one of the girls a gentle mouthing, as a warning. She didn't scratch or bite, but they got the message.

My knee seems to be doing well. It doesn't hurt at all when I am resting, although I still need to get up and walk around the house every hour or so, as it gets stiff. I can feel that the bend is increasing slowly. I don't think I am far off 90 degrees, although that is just a "guesstimate". It feels almost straight, too.

I'm still sleeping in short bursts, but I seem to have settled into a pattern.
I go to bed after dinner and usually sleep from 9 to about 11pm.
Then, I talk to John for a while, take my midnight pills and sleep until approximately 3.30a.m.
I make a cup of tea and have that and a biscuit with my 4 a.m. pills, and settle down again about 4.30.
I sleep well until about 6.30a.m. and then doze until about 7.15, when I get up, feed the cats and let them out, have a bowl of cereal and then go back to bed (to read) until 9-ish.

I have a shower about 10.30, then rest again until lunch time. I rest again for 2-4 hours in the afternoon.

I'm beginning to find that routine a bit boring, so I am glad the family is here. IF I rest in my chair, I can at least be part of the general conversations.

More tomorrow . . . . .
 
@Celle You will find that you are able to a little more each week, slow and easy! Glad you are enjoying your company.
 
Doing well @Celle great to hear,love to hear about your cats we are thinking about getting another cat after 12 years,we travel a lot but have seen lots of people in motorhomes with cats,
giving it lots of thought.
Take care x
 
Hello Caryl @Celle

It is wonderful for you and John to have your son and his family back home in New Zealand. I know that feeling, at various times two of our sons have lived in Australia, The Phillipines, New York City and Norway. But, no matter how old they are, it is lovely to have them home.

You seem to be getting your daily routine a good balance of being up and about and resting in between and your new night time routine will take some adjustment for both you & John.

And your cats and your grand daughters are getting to know each other as well.

Take care and continue to sit back, rest and recover,
Cathie
 
I'm glad you're at least getting bursts of sleep. Wishing you longer stretches :sleep:
 
Sounds like you're doing great! So glad you have your family with you and that all it's been an easy transition! Keep up the great work! xoxo
 
@Celle glad your family arrived safely and everyone is adjusting. It will probably take a little time to settle in your new night time routine. Your granddaughters sound adorable. Enjoy your time with them.
 
Thank you all. :):SUNsmile:

I had another reasonable night's sleep. I don't mind being awake for a while, as long as I can go back to sleep again.

My appetite is strange. I feel hungry, but cannot eat much of a meal. then, about 2 hours later, I feel hungry again. So, I'm contenting myself with small snacks, rather than large meals. That works better anyway, because I do need to eat something when I take my medications, or else I feel sick.

Today, I feel a bit frustrated. I know that usually happens at about 4 weeks, when you feel as though you should be "all better", but you aren't. It happened to me today, at three weeks. I actually said to myself "I am fed up with all this!" I'm not feeling a lot of pain, but my knee is still very stiff (which is a less acute form of pain). I feel as though I need an oil can for it! I feel the tight band across the front of my knee, just below the kneecap.

I guess I need to go back and re-read this article!
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
And this one:
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee


Part of my frustration is because I want to join in all the activities with my granddaughters and I can't, yet.
I'm getting a bit stir-crazy.

However, we are all going out to brunch one day at the weekend. Once I've given my order, I will sit in the car until it is ready, so that I only have to sit on the cafe chair for a short time. If necessary, I shall walk around outside, as well.

Right now, I'm having a little "quiet time" in our bedroom. I spend abotu an hour on the computer adn then lie down and rest.

I can hear Little Miss Almost-Five singing quietly to herself, and that is lovely!

'Bye for now!
 
@Celle, your granddaughters sound darling. I especially loved the explanation of childbirth! It sounds as though you are adjusting nicely and I am sure your night time routine will settle itself down. I hear you about feeling frustrated. I had to laugh today when I was getting in the back seat of the car and fixing the pillow under my leg. My friend Carol was trying to help me and naturally I was trying to do it myself. She told me "you are so darn independent". I just laughed and said I guess I am. With Joe working so much, I have been home alone a lot and have had to do for myself. Plus I am used to doing for everyone else, so it is hard for me to just sit back and do nothing. Although I was proud do myself tonight when everyone was here for dinner. I did absolutely nothing and let my daughter and two friends do it all. At first it was a little hard, but then I settled down and enjoyed it.
Enjoy your brunch this weekend. I think it's wise for you to order and sit in the car until they are ready. You're knee will thank you. I hope you have a good night. Anne
 
Hi Caryl @Celle

Yes, the screaming Third or Fourth Week frustrations !

We've read that the come to us all and think we will be prepared- but when they hit, we are still surprised.

Your plan for coping with the family brunch sounds very good and I'm sure that others will follow your plan, as it means that you aren't sitting for such a long time in the restaurant.

Take care,
Cathie
 
@Celle I hope your outing goes smoothly, while sitting move your leg around some to keep some of the stiffness at bay. That tight band feeling will probably be leaving you soon! Nothing cuter than a little one singing!
 
We went out for our brunch and it all went well! It did give my spirits a lift.
I did not have to sit in the car, as the chair at the cafe was just the right height for me.

Instead, I sat beside Little Miss Just-Three and "helped" her do some colouring in. I say "helped" because she found me quite incompetent, as I coloured within the lines, while she said "I wanted all of the page to be red!"

The girls were well-behaved, mainly because their mother had anticipated boredom and brought things for them to do quietly. My daughter in law is a good mother and I seldom feel that I would have handled anything differently. So I don't have to be an interfering mother-in-law, which is a relief to us all! :snork:

When we got home, I went to bed and slept for 2 hours. I needed that, because I couldn't get back to sleep after 5 this morning. In a room by myself, I would have read a book, but I couldn't do that without disturbing John. I was very glad to see the dawn.

I'm finding that, having cut back on the Tramadol, I no longer sleep as much. I think it's worth it, though - the pain had not increased at all, I am more clear-headed, and the poop fairy is more reliable.

Tonight, John and I are baby-sitting the girls. It will be an easy task, because they will already be in bed before their parents go out for the evening.

I used both crutches when we went out today, but I have been using just one around the house, except in the evening, when I am tired. I can walk a few steps without crutches, but I'm not going to rush it, even though the knee feels strong. There are no prizes for getting rid of walking aids quickly. I'll use them for as long as I feel I need to.

I expect to hear next week that I have an appointment for PT. I have just passes 3 weeks and my surgeon allows PT after four weeks. However, I'm in no hurry. I can feel the knee is mproving and I do a few simple exercises.

One more good thing - I am wearing my jeans! They are a stretch pair, not tight, and with plenty of room for the knee. I was a bit afraid that the scar would feel sore, but it doesn't.
 
Good Morning Caryl @Celle

I think all Granny's should be wearing jeans !

When you think of our own Grannies that in their time they wouldn't have even worn trousers. This new generation of Grannies rock !

Your attitude to recovery at slow & steady is working well for you and even with the family with you and moving bedrooms, you are getting there just fine.

Take care and continue to do what you are doing.

Cathie
 
@Celle Glad you had a good outing! It helps to just get out once in a while and do normal things! Have a great day!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom