Guest viewing is limited

TKR Celle's Left TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night was a break-through night. I slept from midnight to 6:15 in the morning, missing my 4 a.m. medications. Since I wasn't too sore and since I am now only taking Tramadol 4 times a day (Panadol/Tylenol in between), I'm going to work towards a schedule that is closer to 5-6 hourly. I have been forgetting and over-running my medication times by about half an hour on occasions anyway. Cutting out the 4 a.m. dose gives me some extra Panadol that I can take, if necessary. Let's see how it goes!

I'm managing around the house with just one crutch. It makes such a difference to have a free hand for carrying things! I shall still use two crutches if I go outside, for extra security. My knee is healing well - just a few scabs left - but the skin is very dry. I've been putting Bio Oil on it, being very careful not to put anything on the wound itself. However, I'm shedding a lot of skin.

I had a bit of a panic yesterday evening. My little Burmese cat went missing. She usually comes running to greet us when we get home, but she was nowhere to be seen and she didn't appear for 6 hours. She has no traffic sense whatsoever - she was born believing that cars will move aside for her. She is not scared of strangers and she loves riding in cars. I was imagining her squashed on the road, or else kidnapped.

However, we eventually found her, sleeping peacefully on the back seat of John's car, in the carport. She must have jumped in the open window while he was unloading the groceries, and settled down for a nap. John didn't see her on the back seat as he backed into the carport and locked up the car. Thank goodness the car was in the shade in the carport, or else she might have cooked!

We had a glorious day yesterday - the little granddaughters actually went paddling in the sea after our brunch. Today is the same - clear blue skies and spring sunshine. I love this time of the year.

I have a new definition of happiness. It's watching two little girls dancing in a sunbeam and being enchanted at seeing the specks of dust lit up by the sun. They said, "Isn't it fantastic!" Such an ordinary thing to us, and yet they were delighted.
 
@Celle Wow, great being able to sleep that long, hubby has only been able to do that with Ambien. Our cats are strictly indoor cats, too many hot rodding kids around, plus 1 of them has feline leukemia and 1 has feline aids, wouldn't want to be responsible for them spreading it to other cats. Not everyone here gets their cats inoculated.
I remember as a child loving the dust in sunbeams! You have a great day!
 
I had really dry, flaky skin on my knee after the surgery too for both knees. I wonder if it's to do with the stuff they put on the leg for disinfecting? @Josephine
 
Hello, my friends!

First, the knee. Almost all the little scabs have fallen off now. Just two slightly larger ones left, and a lot of dry skin. I can still see how the dissolving stitches are pulling the edges closer together. I wonder how long they take to finish dissolving?

I walked around the house with only one crutch for most of yesterday, just using two crutches in the evening , when I was tired. The knee feels a bit stiffer today, so I am going to use both crutches for much of the day. I'm also icing a bit more today. I find that now a cold ice pack feels better than one that is frozen right through. There's no doubt that the cold is still good for pain relief, as well as reducing swelling.

I weighed myself this morning and I can see some benefit to having a poor appetite. I have lost 6 pounds.

I should not have boasted about how well I slept the previous night! Last night was quite different. I went to bed about 11, having already dozed in the armchair for a couple of hours.

My whole body was in rebellion about being back in bed. I just did not want to be there. I'm so bored with lying in bed and I wanted to be able to be up and doing things. However, I did fall asleep about 1 a.m. and slept intermittently until 5:40 a.m. Then I was awake for good.

Today, our son and his family left us for a couple of days. They are going to visit friends in Wellington and our son has an interview on Monday morning, for a potential job. They will be back on Tuesday evening.

So we have the house to ourselves for a couple of days, when we could have peace and quiet - and what does my control-freak personality do? Of course, it wants me to clean and tidy, to reorganize things in my kitchen my way.

So far, I've resisted, but I know that I am going to join the ODIC again before long. I've already run a load of towels through the washing machine. John will hang them out.

My daughter in law has been doing a load of washing every day, including some of our things, so there is not much washing left for tomorrow. She's also been cooking some of our meals. I'd really like to do something to please and surprise her when she comes back, but I can't do much yet. I will just have to content myself with folding all their clean clothes neatly and putting them on their bed. At least I'm good for reading stories to the girls and keeping them playing quietly while their parents do something else now and then!

I though you might enjoy our Three-Year-Old's gem for today:- "If you're really good and you do a really good and kind thing, beautiful stars will come out of you, like fireworks." Oh, how I wish!
 
Control freakery is probably responsible for more entries to the ODIC than anything else. I'm sure your family are pleased they can help you and would be horrified if they knew you felt you needed to do something for them. It must be such a pleasure for them to see you with your grandchildren.

I had terrible flaking skin, it seemed as if the whole leg was peeling away. As I have an allergy to sticking plaster I assumed it was to do with the bandaging immediately after surgery, then the dressings over the wound, although thankfully I didn't have the usual itching before the skin disruption spread.
 
Hi Caryl, I've just caught up on your recovery and wow you're doing brilliantly. Just reading through made me remember everything we go through and that I have to do it all again sometime for my left one. For now, its doing ok so no plans anytime soon.

I hope your son and family find somewhere nice in Auckland. House prices are so high, as you'll know. And rents too I believe. My nephew and his wife and 4 year old are out at Gulf Harbour and love it, but what a communte! Not too bad if you don't work regular hours Mon to Fri, which he doesn't so that's why it works for them to be up there.
 
@Celle Hubby didn't sleep well last night either, maybe there is something in the air. Remember you need to take care of you! No overdoing it.
 
I had really dry, flaky skin on my knee after the surgery too for both knees. I wonder if it's to do with the stuff they put on the leg for disinfecting?
Couldwell be. Do you have any skin condition? The substance used to prep the skin is usually providone iodine and if it's left on too long, it can dry out the skin badly. I could never use it but once a day for scrubbing up as I would get an horrendous rash before the day's end. I had to use a special hypo-allogenic scrub soap which was terribly expensive (well more so than the Hibiscrub and providone!) and I always had to put up a fight to get the manager to order it in.
I can still see how the dissolving stitches are pulling the edges closer together. I wonder how long they take to finish dissolving?
Are they interrupted sutures, Caryl? IIf so, only the bit inside the skin will dissolve. The bit outside will never dissolve and will get hard and horrid! I don't think dissolving suture material should be used for skin.
My whole body was in rebellion about being back in bed. I just did not want to be there.
I didn't even try. Having spent 12 weeks in my recliner (bought especially for the purpose) I just kept on sleeping on it. Which was useful when my brother and his wife came to stay for a few days to look after me as I only have two beds!
"If you're really good and you do a really good and kind thing, beautiful stars will come out of you, like fireworks." Oh, how I wish!
Well let your wish be granted!

 
Are they interrupted sutures, Caryl? If so, only the bit inside the skin will dissolve. The bit outside will never dissolve and will get hard and horrid! I don't think dissolving suture material should be used for skin.

I can't see any sutures outside the skin at all @Josephine - just the pucker marks pulling the skin down at opposite sides of the wound. It looks as if they are interrupted sutures, as the effect is not constant along the whole wound.

I didn't even try. Having spent 12 weeks in my recliner (bought especially for the purpose) I just kept on sleeping on it. Which was useful when my brother and his wife came to stay for a few days to look after me as I only have two beds!

I slept in my recliner last night, and did much better. I hadn't used it before, as it is one that you have to use your legs to push the footrest down and one good leg was not strong enough to do it. The previous time I tried, I had to be rescued from the chair. However, yesterday I had a daytime trial and succeeded, so I decided to try sleeping there. I had my TKR leg well supported and elevated.

:thankyou: for the wonderful fireworks. They're beautiful!
 
As I just told Josephine, I had a much better night, sleeping in the living room, in my recliner. I think that a Lot of my problem with sleeping just now is that I am so conscious of sharing a room and not wanting to disturb my husband when I am awake. On my own, I can do what I want - wander, read or sleep - and sleep comes when it is ready.

Today, I planned to do several things, hopefully without doing too much. I had put some clothes into the washing machine the previous evening and this morning I did a small load of washing, putting the clothes on a rack in the conservatory to dry. I folded my son's family's clothes and put them in piles on their double bed.

I rested for a couple of hours and then John and I went to shop for groceries. I sat in the car outside the vegetable shop, while John bought the veges. Then we went to the supermarket, the one I am familiar with. I had checked it out before my surgery and I knew that they had a wheelchair.

So, we put my crutches in the shopping trolley, which John pushed, while I used the wheelchair, moving up and down the aisles and telling him what to select. I'm not an expert on driving wheelchairs, but I didn't bump into anyone and I think we found everything we needed.

We got home in time for lunch and then I had another rest.

I really think that the outing improved my mood. I hate not being able to go out and about at will, but today felt good.
 
Hello Margaret, @Campervan . Lovely to hear from you!

I hope that your other knee continues to behave itself. How is your shoulder - and the quad lag? Still improving, I hope.

I am just glad that my second knee is done, so that I don't have to face that prospect any more. I wondered if I had jumped the gun and chosen to get it done too soon, but my surgeon said it was well ready to do and there was a lot of inflammation, so perhaps I got it right after all. I do know that getting it done while my muscles and tendons were still in good condition seems to be helping a lot with the recovery.

I did have a femoral nerve block. I thought of you before agreeing to it, and discussed it with the anaesthetist. He inserted the nerve block while I was still awake and allowed me to watch on the screen. I could see that the needle was just beside, and not in, the nerve and could see the effect when he tested it. All went well, to my relief!

My son and his wife have fallen in love with Devonport - oh dear, a high house price area! They have friends already living there and have stayed with them. They have arranged to rent a little, two-bedroom house in Devonport, starting towards the end of November. They decided its small size would encourage them to get their own place as soon as possible. All he needs is a job! (He has an interview today.)

They have just sold their house in England, for double its purchase price, so they will have some capital to bring over here. They've also saved quite a bit of money during the 18 months they were in India, so they hope to have a substantial deposit towards a house in NZ.

Best wishes,
Caryl
 
Hello Caryl @Celle

Good to hear that you have found sleeping in your recliner has been better for you.
Sleep and being comfortable at night is very important to recovery.

I'm sure that you and your husband are very happy that son & family have come back home and hopefully his job interview will have a positive result.

It is indeed a good feeling to be able to a few of our normal activities and get out to do a bit of shopping and a few household jobs.

Take care,
Cathie
 
@Celle Glad you got to get out of the house for a bit. Hubby was always wanting small trips somewhere to get out. Best of luck for your son's interview! Glad you got some sleep! You have a great day!
 
I can't see any sutures outside the skin at all @Josephine - just the pucker marks pulling the skin down at opposite sides of the wound.
Ah, well probably a subcutaneous stitch then. Usually that's done with a monofilament nylon rather than dissolvable. Being in the skin, it could take ages to dissolve. Still one never really knows without seeing the wound!
one that you have to use your legs to push the footrest down- I had to be rescued from the chair
Oh that brings back memories! When I went shopping for this settee, I tried various ones out in the store. The salesman who was accompanying me left to get some brochures of something and while he was away, I pulled on the tab to put the leg flap up and was stranded! Like you, my leg was too weak to push it down. The saleman was ages coming back - like 20-30 minutes! Anxiety was rampant!
 
I had another reasonable night's sleep last night - back in our bed this time. Instead of individual, single duvets, we decided to go back to sharing a sheet and a king-size duvet. That worked well - the single duvet was for ever moving around and I would wake up with cold feet.

I went to bed at 8.30 p.m. and fell asleep almost straight away, waking when John came to bed around midnight. We talked for a while and then I fell asleep again, until 4 in the morning. I dozed off and on until 5, when I got up and made a cup of tea. I tried to go back to sleep again, but I couldn't - I guess I'd already had a full night's sleep - so I got up and sat in my recliner, reading, until breakfast time.

John and I have always had different sleeping patterns - owl and fowl - and neither of us has ever been able to change. I sleep early and wake early, while John goes to bed late and wakes late.

I shall still l use the recliner for resting during the daytime, as I feel more a part of the household and not isolated in my bedroom.

The knee was a bit more swollen yesterday evening, after my outing, but it has gone down overnight. I'm still finding that the ice packs are very comforting. Lying still, with an ice pack on my knee, I feel no pain at all. I'm managing well with only one crutch around the house.
 
@Celle Glad you got more sleep! Sounds like you are getting a routine that works for you, remember slow and steady wins the race.
 
It's four weeks today since I had my left TKR. Time for a quick assessment:
  • I can walk around the house easily, using only one crutch, and I can take a few steps with no walking aid. However, I think my gait is better with the crutch, so I'll keep using it.
  • I haven't had my ROM measured, but I'm pretty sure it is just over 90 degrees. I could force it to bend a bit further, but I won't.
  • The wound is healing well, with just one scab still to fall off. It's on one of the places where I had to have a butterfly suture, so I guess that's why it is taking a little longer.
  • I still tire very easily and I get uncomfortable in the evenings.
  • I am starting to sleep a bit better.
  • I have cut back on my medications and only take Tramadol once a day, Panadol (Tylenol) 4 times a day.
  • No pain at all at rest and just some stiffness on moving.
  • I'm frustrated because I want to do more, but I can't yet.
All in all, good progress.

Yesterday was a busy day. That's why I didn't post.
I had to see my GP in the morning, as I have another urine infection. Bother! I'm on antibiotics again.

We went out for lunch, to a cafe at the port. There were 6 of us - my son, his wife, his 2 daughters, and John and me.

The cafe is right beside the quay where amateur fishermen launch their boats. There is a little beach there as well. The weather was warm enough for us to sit out on the decking and watch the boats, while the two children played on the sand and picked up seashells. It was lovely.

The girls have spent very little time at a beach, as they lived first in an English town and then (for the last 18 months) in Delhi, India. Consequently, they still have to learn sand etiquette. They are surprised that dry sand blows around in the wind, and they have to learn to stand down wind of someone if they are shaking out a towel or something similar. They did manage to get sand in their eyes a couple of times, but they mostly enjoyed the freedom to run around. In Delhi, they could never do that. It was impossible for them to just run free.

Today is a quieter day and I hope to catch up on a bit of office work, just boring stuff like paying bills and reconciling bank accounts. I've been putting it of f for a while, but it does need to be done.

More tomorrow!
 
@Celle sounds like you are doing pretty good! Patience is a very hard lesson, but you need it with TKR recovery. You will get there! Sounds like a wonderful time at the beach!
 
Hello Caryl @Celle

Absolutely loved your description of Sand Etiquette.

Your two granddaughters sound precious and it is lovely sharing memories of their discovering beach life and running free.

Sorry to hear that you have another UTI and on an antibiotic ! :sad:

Your Four Week Assessment appears to be going on the right direction and yes, can share in your frustration at not being able to do more.

I think, at four weeks the mind is willing to do more - but, the knee says No !

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Celle!
I had my left TKR on Sept 15. I have no other health issues and there was/is no complications what so ever. However, I can not seem to cut back on my pain meds much. I have somewhat during the day, but still need them at night. I keep trying but still experience too much pain to sleep. I want off the meds so that I can drive! I'd

like to go to the gym and at least do some upper body stuff. I hate being so dependent on other people so much. The control freak in me I guess.

I have read your entire recovery blog and am relived to know that our activity levels are similar as well as the need for extra rest. I know that everyone recovers differently...

I have had Physical Therapy since day one. They actually got me up to walk the afternoon of the therapy. I also do exercises a few times each day. I have to take pain meds for that, too. ARGH!!

Anyway, thank you very much for
sharing your recovery process.

Joni


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom