Guest viewing is limited

TKR Celle's Left TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad you're getting some sleep--in whatever venue. :wink: That should help the knee and help your body fight off the UTI.
 
Hi Joni, @Djbrund

Good to hear that you are doing well!

Don't be in as hurry to get off the pain medications, but take them as long as you need them for pain. I have started weaning off mine quite early in the recovery, much earlier than I did last time. That's because my pain levels have been fairly low this time. Last time, I was still taking the full doses at this stage of recovery.

Many people need pain medication for several months and there's no sense in suffering pain needlessly, so take those meds if you are in pain.

Now, about driving. I do so understand your desire to be independent again, and we are both suffering from some frustration at still being dependent on other people. However, just over 4 weeks post-op really is a bit early for driving. Even if you are off the medications, your reaction times are still going to be slower than usual and your operated leg is unlikely to work at optimum speed either.

There's also the question of insurance. I believe that some insurance companies will not cover you for driving until you had had the all-clear from your surgeon. My surgeon says 6 weeks is early enough.

I know that some people do drive earlier, but I prefer to play it safe and I will not be trying it for another two weeks, at least.

Frustrating as it is, our main job at this stage is still to Rest, Ice, Elevate and Medicate - and only do a little, gentle exercise. Let's try and be patient together! :friends:
 
I went to the hairdresser this morning. My husband dropped me off and picked me up again when I was finished.
It felt so good to have my hair washed for me, and to get rid of some of the shagginess that had developed! I love talking to m y hairdresser, to. I've known her for a long time now and we know about each others' families.

I rested after getting home, and did some reading. This afternoon, I should be doing a bit of home office work, but I just don't feel like it. Reconciling bank accounts can wait for another day!

My son and his wife are trying to plan what they will do when their 2 containers of furniture and other stuff arrive her in NZ. It will cost them a lot in insurance to keep it all in storage until they can buy their own house, so now they are thinking of renting an unfurnished house in Auckland fairly soon. It's all rather fluid, as circumstances change, but they know they're welcome here for as long as they need to stay. I'm just taking it from day to day!
 
@Celle your 4week report sounds great. I hope my recovery goes as well. You made me smile about your granddaughters as the beach is one of our favorite outings even though we are 2 1/2 hours away. It is so nice that you are able to share those special moments with them as they discover new things.
 
I slept well last night, only waking twice. :)

I have been walking around the house without a crutch, but my knee was getting tired and stiff by the evening, so I have decided to use a stick all the time - it's not so bulky and I don't keep forgetting to take it with me. I'll still use one or two crutches (depending on the venue) when I go out anywhere.

My son and his wife have decided that they will be leaving us for 2-3 weeks on Monday. Our son is going up to Auckland, to oversee the arrival of their containers of furniture and goods from overseas and my daughter in law and the children are heading down to the South Island, to visit her family. Our son will also be available for job interviews while in Auckland.

They have asked if the house they agreed to rent from mid-November can be let unfurnished, so they can store most of their stuff in it. It is currently furnished, but they have been shocked at the cost of storing their goods and arranging insurance for it, while it is in storage.

Meanwhile, I'm making the most of having them here for a short time. I have been reading to the children this morning, helped by one of our cats:
[Bonesmart.org] Celle's Left TKR


Here is a photo of the girls and my son on the beach last Wednesday:
[Bonesmart.org] Celle's Left TKR

More tomorrow . . . .
 
Looks like you are having a great time with your family, the beach looks wonderful. Next year you will be at the beach with the Grandchildren!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning! NZ time is ahead of almost everyone in the world, so it's probably still night-time for many.

Yesterday afternoon and today I had and still have the Four-Week Blues! I know that it will pass and that it's the product of recovering from major surgery, sleep disturbance, medications and frustration at everything seeming to take so long, but I do wish it would pass quickly! (Of course, it won't. It will take its time, just like everything else in this recovery.)

Yesterday, I was hungry and the communication between my husband and my daughter in law broke down, with the consequence that each thought the other was going to make dinner. We didn't eat until 9pm, by which time I had created a fuss worthy of our 3-year old granddaughter! I only spoke about the meal, but honestly I have also got frustrated by the sheer mess created by having a young family in my house, when I can do nothing to control it or tidy it up! I love them dearly, but right now my house just does not feel like my house!

I'm worried about my other son, too. Not the one staying with us, but his older brother, who has schizophrenia. Normally, his illness is pretty well controlled, but right now he is paranoid again. It always upsets me, because he gets suspicious of us and starts accusing us of plotting against him. I'll be phoning his nurse first thing on Monday morning!

Sorry this isn't a cheerful post. I just had to vent today!
 
Caryl @Celle

Family bring us joy, frustration, worry and sorrow and you are experiencing all these emotions at the same time.

And as you are early in your TKR recovery your mind and body doesn't have the energy to cope with all these powerful emotions.

It becomes a "battle" just to keep on going and not knowing what each day will bring.

When normal routine is altered, as when son, DIL and 2 adorable grandchildren come to live with you; there is joy in their arrival and at the same time frustration at loss of control of your home and your routine.

And then your concern for your older son and his on going situation adds to the worry already on your shoulders.

BoneSmart is a place where you can off load your worries, write them down, get support and know that there are others here to provide support.

May there be better days ahead,
Cathie
 
You have too much on your plate! Keep some snacks in your room, power bars, nuts, juice boxes, and dried fruit. And shut the door!

When I was about two weeks out we had a family dinner, with guests. I couldn't even order the take out. The noise was unsettling. I needed peace and quiet and to heal.

I'm sorry about your other son, and his illness. I hope it gets controlled very soon.
 
@Celle I just wanted to send you some ((((((((((hugs)))))))) We deal with a lot of family issues too so your post really hit home. While we love our family, we have to take care of ourselves too and sometimes it can be overwhelming. On the upside, your granddaughters are so precious and you and they will have lovely memories of this time together.
 
@Celle right now your priority needs to be you and all that healing. I know it's very difficult but you family needs to understand that although this is a temporary situation, it is important you get what you need to heal. They should be supporting you through this. And if that's not possible, leave you in peace to heal. Please don't be afraid of voicing your needs. And yes, you need food as part of this process.

Hang in there - the one month slump will pass quickly.
 
Thank you, everyone, for all the kind words of encouragement! They are much appreciated!

Our son left yesterday for Auckland and he has arrived safely. He will be back in a couple of weeks.

Our DIL and grandchildren left early this morning, about 7.30am, to drive down to Wellington (about 4-5 hours) and then catch the Inter-Island Ferry to the South Island. They've arrived safely in Wellington.
They will stay tonight in Picton, where the ferry arrives, and then drive further south tomorrow. They are going to spend 2-3 weeks with DIL's family and friends, before coming back to us the second week in November, for about a week.

DIL washed all their bed sheets and their towels yesterday, bless her. She has tried not to make their stay too disruptive, and the children have been very good, on the whole.

Really, it's just the timing of my TKR that has caused me the most problem - well, that and the actual recovery process itself. When I planned to have the TKR done in September, it was with the expectation that our son and his family were going to be transferred to South Africa, but would be coming to spend Christmas with us. By Christmas, I would have been well started on the road to recovery and I would have been able to do so much more than I am able to right now.

However, it turned out that South Africa was not to be, and so they are back in NZ sooner than expected. I'm profoundly glad that they didn't go to Africa, as our son's job would have taken him to several of the countries that have Ebola.

The house seems strangely quiet without the children!

My knee is doing OK. I think it is bending just a bit more than 90 degrees now. I'm not pushing it, but I am just testing it, to see how far it bends. It's quite noticeable that the bend is better first thing in the morning, when the swelling is minimal, and that the bend is worst at the end of the day.

I went to the supermarket with my husband this morning and I walked around it using just one crutch. I sat on a convenient bench while he was checking out. That all worked well.
 
The house seems strangely quiet without the children!
It is amazing all the positive energy children bring into a home.
When they leave you are glad it is quiet, but miss them at the same time.
Glad to hear you are doing well at 5 weeks, patience is the hardest part. By the time they come back in a few weeks, you will be further along in your healing and be able to enjoy your time with them even more.
 
Really, it's just the timing of my TKR that has caused me the most problem - well, that and the actual recovery process itself.
I hear ya @Celle ! Timing of my THR is the pits. Guess we just have to roll with it! Sounds like you are doing very well with grocery shopping and all! Well done!
 
When do you begin PT?

I took Friday off of all exercise and walking. What a difference! No pain. Slept like a baby! I am seeing a light at the end of my tunnel. I hope your PT is gentle. -- Joni
 
So far, I haven't even heard about an appointment for PT! It was supposed to start at about 4 weeks out.

However, I'm thinking that I shall cancel an appointment, if I get sent one. Or I may just go once, to be assessed. I feel that I am doing OK on my own:
  • I'm doing gentle exercises and my knee is bending a little bit more each day - at not quite 5 weeks, I am past 90 degrees;
  • I seem to have full extension;
  • I can walk around the house with no crutch or cane, and I don't limp; I just use the cane for safety outside;
  • I am walking a little bit more each day, and walking properly is the best exercise of all;
  • I can easily do straight-leg lifts;
  • I can sit down on a dining chair and stand back up again without using my hands to help;
  • I had this TKR done before I had lost any muscle strength and while I still had good bending and extension - I don't think I had any shortening or lengthening of my tendons and ligaments;
  • I'm confident that my ROM will continue to improve.
I agree that many people find PT helpful, but I really don't think I need it this time around.
 
So, yesterday I did more than I have been doing. I washed the family's towels and hung them to dry in the conservatory (no outside challenge). I emptied the dishwasher and I cooked a simple dinner. I tried to pace myself and control my need to be in charge, but I am finding it hard. I did have to retire to bed earlier than usual. However, I have no repercussions today, so I guess I did not overdo things.

I'll make a salad for lunch today, as yesterday I cooked enough dinner for two days.
I hope to catch up on some home office work this afternoon, but I will be sure to have a long rest, as well.
 
Hi @Celle

I've been catching up on your posts. I've been through a bit of a funny patch recently but I feel ok now and have started "visiting" properly again.

I absolutely loved to pic of you and the cat reading stories to your grandchildren, you look do very relaxed and happy. The photo of them on the beach is fabulous.

I do hope your son finds a job. I'm sure something will come his way.

How is your other son now, had he come though his episode. Mental health issues are one of the most misunderstood, mainly because you can't really see it like a broken limb. I do hope he's settled down. My father in law suffers it and his paranoia about things is beyond obsessive. Once he gets a thought in his head that's it. It's very hard work. It can be a particular person or a situation, or something that's have end in the last and he can't let go. He's like a terrier.

Try not to overdo it Caryl. I know it's hard. I'm a control freak too. At the moment my vacuum cleaners is screaming at me to use it on the carpets. They've not been done for four days and it's more than I can stand and there's other stuff besides.... I have to let go but it's blooming hard!

Take care and I'm so pleased to read how well you are doing. Well done! Xxx

All my love and best wishes
Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Hi Ann, @Nana moon 27

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better now.

I spoke to our son's nurse on Monday and Tuesday. It appears that he got his 2-weekly injection a day late last week, which might have contributed to his increased paranoia. She also suspects that he has not been taking his oral medications as regularly as he should - that's an old problem and is why he is also on compulsory injections.
She's going to make sure that he is reviewed by his psychiatrist soon.

After a weekend of worry, our son turned up at our house on Monday morning, washed and clean-shaven. He didn't stay long and said very little, but I think that his injection has started to kick in and he should improve over the next few days.

We've had 14 years of worry over him and his illness. He's better now than he was before he started having the injections. It's a shame that whenever he gets paranoid, he always suspects that the people closest to him are plotting against him. It's a terrible illness, one that I would not wish on my worst enemy. Most people don't understand.

Most of the time, I try to put it to the back of my mind and take each day as it comes, but sometimes it really gets to me.

Love,
Caryl
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom