Guest viewing is limited

TKR Celle's Left TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seven weeks yesterday and I joined the ODIC again.

I drove myself to my coffee morning and stayed there for almost two hours. Then I drove to our shopping mall and parked there. I walked from there to the jeweller's shop, to take in my rings to be stretched.
Back to the mall for lunch and then bought all my Christmas cards, plus a couple of books for the grandchildren. I have no idea what I will buy for everyone's Christmas presents.

I discovered that I can do stairs one foot at a time, both going up and going down, as long as I hold on to the railings! :yay: That's much earlier in my recovery than I could manage last time, and a lot earlier than I was expecting. This recovery seems to be going unusually fast.

I got tired quite quickly and had to sit down on the seats in the mall a couple of times.

One of the department stores in the mall was having a sale day and the mall was packed. Getting out of the car park, in a slowly moving line, took 25 minutes!! I had to do a lot of slow driving, with many stops and starts - lots of work on the clutch for my TKR knee.

I was exhausted when I got home, but I had quite a sense of achievement as well. I just rested for the remainder of the day.

This morning, my knee is a bit stiffer than usual, so I'll take it easy today and spend more time resting, icing, elevating.
 
Wow!! Yesterday I went to PT, then lunch. Home for ice and a nap, then a 3 hour spanish class. Exhausted! Home for ice and elavation and a pain pill. Slept well though. There is no way I could do as much as you did. No. Way. I haven't even gone to the grocery store, let alone a MALL! And a stck shift! That is awesome! I think I'm only 7-10 days away from all that, tho. I can't wait to get my life back. -- Joni
 
Joni, @Djbrund
You're making good progress too.

Every knee is different. This left TKR is much faster at recovering than my right TKR almost 3 years ago. The right TKR was really a revision from a partial. As for my recovery from the partial, back in 2000, I took a long, long time to recover from that.

I'd like to stress that this TKR of mine does seem to be progressing unusually fast - it surprises me too. I really didn't think I would be able to do as much as I am doing.

I did pay for doing too much yesterday - today I have been stiffer than usual and I slept in the armchair for most of this afternoon (with leg elevated).

Tonight, we have to go out to a party. It's a farewell party for our regular house-sitter, who is moving down to the South Island. I don't really want to go (but I owe it to her) and I'm hoping I will be able to find somewhere fairly quiet and spend most of the evening sitting down. I also hope that we'll be able to get away early.
 
Hi @Celle, just happened upon your thread and wanted to say Hello and hope you are doing well. I was actually taking one step at a time until I was about ready to go back to work then I said I have to stop this. I slowly got myself in the habit of going down the stairs the regular way. Hope you have good luck with that and I hope you will be on the super mend soon. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Glad to hear you are doing so well, your new knee is a Bonesmart poster child! :curtsey:
Hope the party goes well, and you can get away early.
 
Well, the party was OK. There weren't very many people there and the atmosphere was quite restrained.
I managed to sit down most of the time - with all the other "oldies"!
I met some very pleasant people.

Our house sitter (Lyn) confirmed that she will still come to sit for us when we go away for our long holidays - her fella said that he would be happy for her to do it, now that he has met us. We'll probably pay her air fare back here, which would still be less expensive than having to find a house-sitting agency or putting our cats in kennels for months on end - and the cats do love her.

I talked to several people who had been to our house while we were away last time, because we said that Lyn could hold a milestone birthday party there. They had been to Lyn's party. It seemed strange to think that people I had never met had been in our house. Still, Lyn always leaves the place spotless.

We left the party shortly after 10 p.m., so it wasn't too late, either.
 
How was your weekend @Celle ?
 
Our middle son was with us at the weekend and our daughter in law and their two girls arrived on Sunday. We weren't expecting them until Monday, so it was a lovely surprise. We just ordered in a takeaway dinner.

Our older son (the one who is still paranoid) stayed away.

Today (Tuesday) I did the supermarket shopping again and then we all went out to lunch. It will just be cold meats and salad for dinner tonight.

My knee is behaving very well and I have been able to cut back the Panadol (Tylenol) to three times a day.

Our son and his family will be leaving us again next weekend, on Friday or Saturday, and will then be based in Auckland. ME shall miss them, although I must say that it will be nice to have our house to ourselves again.
 
It's 9 and a half weeks now since my left TKR and life seems to be getting back to normal.

I still have some discomfort, but no definite pain. I don't need to take any pain relief during teh daytime and I just take Panadol (Tylenol) at night. The knee still feels tight (that "rubber band"feeling) but that feeling has decreased.

I haven't had my ROM measured at all, but my "guesstimate" is that it's about 120 degrees and still improving. I judge it by how far I can bend my knee under the chair when I'm sitting at the computer and how far I can rock my rocking chair. I still do the heel slides when I'm sitting in a chair.

Last Thursday, I went to my regular coffee morning with the girls and then stayed in town for lunch. I discovered that I can now do stairs one foot at a time, both up and down, as long as the steps are not too high. I also found that, even though I did more walking, I did not get as tired as I had done the week before. I bought a few Christmas presents and came home feeling very pleased with myself. I did have to rest for the remainder of the day!

At long last, my sleeping pattern is improving. While I still wake about 5 in the morning, I can now usually go back to sleep until about 7.

Our middle son and his family are now back in Auckland, house sitting for friends. They will move into their rental accommodation on Thursday and then they can start to feel more settled.

They have enrolled their almost-five-years-old daughter into a local school and spent an hour there with the Principal on Tuesday. Ava is going to spend Tuesday mornings for the next three weeks sitting in on the new entrant class at school. Some of the children will still be there when she starts school properly in the New Year, so she will see a few familiar faces and she will also recognise the teacher.
(Here in NZ, children start school on their fifth birthday, so there is a steady trickle of new entrants throughout the year. Ava will turn five two days before Christmas, so she'll start school after the summer holidays.)

While we enjoyed having the family living with us, it is nice to have our house to ourselves again - it seems very quiet now they've gone. They are going to spend Christmas with us, so we'll see them again soon.
 
Awesome, Celle! Do you find after walking (shopping) a but, that you want to limp? I went for a 2 mile "hike" on flat trails this morning. Was going to go a bit further until the walking no longer seemed natural, and I was having to think about walking without a limp. Shopping is still hard for me because of too much standing in one spot for too long...like checkout. -- Joni
 
Do you find after walking (shopping) a but, that you want to limp?

No, I don't want to limp, but I do want to sit down! I am conscious that by evening I am not walking as well as I am earlier in the day. I think that's tiredness having an effect.
 
@Celle, just dropping by to see how you are doing. From your recent report, it sounds as though you are doing great. 120 ROM is wonderful. I'm finally at 105 and that is with Christine bending it until I have to tell her to stop. This is a slow recovery, but worth it in the long run. Take care. Anne
 
@Yorkimom
Your ROM will get there in the end. The first time I had my right knee replaced, it took me ages to recover, but it did happen eventually.

Don't let Christine bend your knee until it hurts, will you?
 
I'm feeling sad today.

A friend died on Monday last week.
We learned last night that he had committed suicide in a way that was particularly nasty and inconsiderate.

John is going to his funeral tomorrow. I'm not going. Right now, I can't trust myself to say anything nice.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Celle, I am so very sorry. It is so hard when we lose friends, but to learn that they had a hand in it must truly be horrible. One wonders why someone would end their life and I have to think that in addition to being mentally sick, they must be so overwhelmed with feelings of despair that in their minds there is no other alternative. Sending prayers and hugs. Anne
 
Thanks, Anne.
He never seemed sick or depressed. This was a complete surprise to everyone, not least to his wife, who has had to travel from Germany.
 
I am sorry for you and your friends loss. So sad when this happens.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Celle, what a wonderful string of posts you have written! I am thrilled that you have made such progress. I have been released to drive and, yes, it is wonderful. You seemed to managed to find the gift of balance....just enough shopping or walking, without really overdoing.

Today I saw my surgeon and I took my walker to I could show off for him. In March, before he did my left knee I haven't really walked in four years. When I healed I couldn't walk yet because my right knee was horrid. SO in September, the right knee was done. I can now walk wonderfully with my walker. While I am about 10 weeks out...my ankles need lots of strengthening after four years.

To go back to my appointment....I walked around the office for him. He was thrilled. So, I see him in six months. I want to walk in with no scooter or walker!


Chris
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom