TKR Celle's Left TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sorry about your friend.
 
@Celle Sorry to hear about your friend. Happy for you that your recovery is going in the right direction.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Celle, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your friend. That's one of the few things I dislike about getting older. -- Joni
 
Sorry to hear about your friend; a near neighbour committed suicide two months ago and has left his estranged wife and children with quite a few problems to sort out.
I'm delighted to hear of your progress, and after seeing my OS today I have vowed not to be anything other than pleased for others' achievements rather than comparing my progress to theirs. So please keep up the positive postings.
 
Celle, how are you doing? We haven't heard from you in awhile. Just checking in. -- Joni
 
Hi Joni @Djbrund and everyone else!

Yes, I was only thinking this morning that I should post an update. I haven't written much, because nothing much has happened. It's just been a non-dramatic story of steady progress.

So, now at 11+ weeks after my left TKR, where am I at?
  • I no longer need pain medication during the day and only occasionally take Panadol/Tylenol before I go to bed at night.
  • I have now taken back all the household duties, although I don't move furniture when I clean, and I ask my husband to help me hang out the washing.
  • I usually sit down for a rest during the afternoon, but I am not completely wiped out if I don't.
  • I don't yet have my full quota of energy, but I sense an improvement.
  • I can drive myself, in a manual (stick-shift) car.
  • I'm finding it easier to get out of my car.
  • I can now spend a day in town without wilting.
  • I still have a slight feeling of having a constricting rubber band just below my knee, but it is decreasing.
  • I rarely have any other pain in my knee. When I do feel mild pain, it goes away with rest.
  • My thigh (quads) sometimes aches during the evening if I have done too much during the day, so I rest, elevate and ice, and cut back a bit the following day.
  • I estimate my ROM to be over 120 (and still improving), and I have full extension.
  • My TKR knee still feels warmer than my other knee and the scar is still bright pink. That's a sign that healing is still taking place inside.
  • My knee still gets stiff if I sit for too long, but the stiffness wears off after I walk a few steps.
  • I discovered on Thursday that I can now go up and down stairs normally (one foot at a time) with a tread height of up to 8 inches. That's an improvement over the 6-inch tread I could do a couple of weeks ago.
  • I am (finally!) getting back into a normal sleeping pattern.

All-in-all, I'm very happy with my progress. I am still aware that I have a long way to go before I am 100% recovered, but I feel I am well on the way.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] Celle's Left TKR
@Celle, so pleased that your recovery is coming along so nicely. Lessons learned here and applied sure do have a way of making things so much easier for us.
 
Thank you Judy, @bottomshollow

Yes, in spite of having family, including 2 pre-schoolers, come to stay with us for a month soon after my surgery, I managed not to overdo things too badly.

I count myself lucky to have had a relatively uncomplicated (and quite rapid) recovery. Things like rest, ice, elevation had become almost second nature this time around, and they certainly do pay off.
 
Wishing you continued success in recovery, Celle. My left TKR was mid September, and we are quite in synch. Very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, and the sad aftermath. Have experienced same (if these can ever truly be the same) and know the pain, confusion and anger. Wishing you and yours a lovely holiday.


15 Sept 2014 LTKR
 
Thank you, @TerryB1956

I'm glad you're doing well, too.

We are getting used to the loss of our friend. The hardest part is that his death was so unexpected. Nobody suspected anything was troubling him and we are all left wondering if there was anything we could have done to prevent it. He left a 4-page letter saying goodbye to people, but never indicated why he was choosing to do what he did. I feel sorriest for his wife.
 
I understand your thoughts of not having anything exciting to post! You are doing really well! Enjoy your holidays!


Chris
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Celle, I just dropped by to see how you are doing and just read your update. You are doing great! After reading it, I found that I'm pretty much on the same track except for my ROM and I know that will come. So thank you for posting because it made me realize that I'm doing okay.
 
Thank you, Anne, @Yorkimom . I'm glad my post made you feel better. I know your ROM is going to improve steadily.

Thankyou Chris, @waitingtogarden . I hope you're doing well, too.
 
Good to know things are progressing nicely for you :walking:
 
How are you doing, Celle? I'm still having stamina issues. I hear that can go on for almost a year. Now when I overdo it , other parts of my body hurt, hardly any knee pain at all. Hope all is well with you and yours. -- Joni
 
Hi Joni, @Djbrund

I'm doing OK! the knee still aches a bit, although not badly enough for me to need to take any medication. I still get a bit of pain in my quads from time to time, and my knee definitely does not like sitting on a hard chair whose seat is too high for my short legs.

Other than that, I'm completely happy with my progress. I'm sleeping much better at night, only waking once for a bathroom visit, and I'm able to go back to sleep after that. I'm increasing the distance I walk, hoping to be able to walk around the large estate where my daughter lives when we visit her next year.

My new TKR knee doesn't yet bend as well as the one that is 3 years old, but it still seems to be improving.

And yes, like you, I still find I am short on stamina. I still have days when I am completely tired out by evening, usually on the days when I have been more active during the day.

Oh, and the son we were worried about has "come right" again. :yes!:
 
Today, our son and his family will arrive, to spend Christmas with us. This is what I planned for when I chose a September date for my TKR.

They were living with us for a month or so, back in October, when I was much earlier in my recovery.
This time, it will be a bit different. Back then, I was still resting most of the time and I did next to nothing in the kitchen. Now, I only need short rests and I am on full-time cooking duties.

Both my son and daughter-in-law are good cooks and they will be helping with the meals. I'm going to cook the turkey on Christmas Eve and am planning to have it cold, with new potatoes and salads, on Christmas Day - much less stress on the big day. D-i-l makes lovely salads, so I'll ask her to be in charge of those. Son likes doing fancy nibbles and desserts.

I'm looking forward to taking our granddaughters (aged 5 and 3) to our local park, where there is always a large display of Christmas lights. The city council puts them up every year, as well as coloured spotlights in the trees around the lake. I can walk far enough now to be able to walk the circuit around the lake. It's beautiful, with all the coloured lights reflected in the water.

I have a book to read to the children - The Night Before Christmas - and both of them know the real Christmas story, too.

I'm so glad that my new knee is 3 months old and I will be able to join in almost all of the Christmas activities!

:tree::reindeerlights::candle: :tree2; :kittychris::kitty chris: :merry christmas:
 
Your Christmas sounds like it will be wonderful! Good for you for planning ahead this far! Try not to overdo, and enjoy your kids and grandkids. :tree lights:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom