Guest viewing is limited

TKR Celle's Left TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to be successfully experimenting with doing a bit more. Just don't get overconfident and wind up in the ODIC. :heehee:
 
Caryl, it's to be expected that you would worry over him. Always a good sign when they shave though. It's when they don't bother to look after themselves and sit quietly staring at everyone or repeating over and over their latest trigger albeit person or situation. No it's not easy being a mom, but we love them problems and all.

It's to be expected you'd get to the end of your tether because when they go walkabout like that, you're terrified the phones going to ring with bad news..., you worry about the impact of the behaviour on the family and what will happen long term. You worry in case anything happens outside if the family. Oh it's endless. We went through a very similar situation, obviously not the same as yours, when our son was coming off drugs. The paranoia, the moods, the vanishing, the worry. He's been clean for over seven years now but you never forget. You forgive because of the illness but you never forget. He's clearly been left with mental health problems. He gets down very quickly but his partner is fantastic with him. She looks after him okay. When my father in law gets bad the family have sent for me in the past because for some reason I am able to calm him, soothe him. I don't know why this is but this is what happens.

Please take care Caryl, if ever you want a private chat I'm here for you and it promise it will remain confidential xxx you are a good, strong and very caring mom and grandma Well done xxx

Love Ann xxx
 
Celle, I am so sorry that I haven't been around writing much. I was reading your blog and remembered a number of things I also have suffered through and it helped me deal with my depression! Just a normal thing.




Chris
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
There's not much to report today, except that I did go out to my usual Thursday morning coffee meeting. Apart from a couple of lunches with the family, that was my first "social" outing since having this TKR.

My husband dropped me off and picked me up again 90 minutes later. I did enjoy seeing some of my friends again.

My knee behaved itself, although I was glad to be able to elevate it again when I got home.

I've done a bit of home office work on the computer this afternoon, but now I am going to rest for a while.
 
I'm glad you made it to coffee. Those routines are such an important part of getting back to normal life, aren't they?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Celle! Just dropping by to see how you are doing. Sorry to read that you had some ups and downs the past couple of days. I can only imagine the worry you must have with your son, especially when he's off his meds. It sounds as though he back on track.
This recovery is so darn hard at times. You want to do things and get frustrated when you can't. I know it's hard for others around to understand. Just today my hubby was frustrated about something and I in turn got frustrated and the tears just started flowing. To be honest I can't even remember what it was about, it was that trivial, but at the time it was like it was the end of the world.
You sound as though you are really doing well in your recovery. Here you haven't even had PT yet and your ROM is better than mine...hmmmmmmmmmm maybe you guys are onto something!!! Have a good night. Anne
 
Hello Caryl @Celle

Good to hear about your catching up with friends coffee outing.
Getting back to normal activities is good for the soul.

Hope that your son is back in a good place, now that he is back on his meds again.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
I haven't posted for a few days, because there has been little to report.

My knee continues to improve slowly:
  • I'm now sure that my ROM is past 90 degrees.
  • I am thinking of cutting down my doses of Panadol (Tylenol) to three times a day, as I keep forgetting to take one of the doses until it is way overdue.
  • I do still have the feeling of stiffness and a mild ache, but often I feel nothing at all.
  • I only seem to have a very small area of numbness on the outside of my knee - much smaller than the residual numbness that is still there on my right TKR.
  • I didn't use my stick at all yesterday, even when I was walking around the garden. I'll still use it when I go out, away from home.
  • I can't do steps one foot at a time yet, but I wasn't expecting to able to do that for another month or so.
  • I still haven't heard about any PT appointment. I'll tell my OS that when I see him on Wednesday, but I will also tell him that I don't think this knee needs the PT.
  • There's just one small scab left on the incision site. Apart from that, the skin seems to be completely healed. It's still a bit puckered, pulled by some of the internal sutures.
I must say that this left TKR seems to be recovering exceptionally fast, much faster that my right one did.

I've taken back most of the kitchen duties - cooking and putting dishes in the dishwasher - but I will not be attempting any cleaning for a while yet.

I'm beginning to feel as though I might be able to drive again. I'll go and sit in my car some time today and try my feet on the pedals. It's a manual (stick shift), so my left leg will need to be able to work the clutch pedal.
If I feel I can do it, I'll ask for the all-clear from my OS on Wednesday. John and I are still sharing my car, as our younger son has borrowed John's car, to go up to Auckland. He'll be back in about 10 days.

Our older son is still paranoid, but he isn't ranting quite as much. He came for dinner yesterday and kept on coming up with weird remarks. I do hate it when he does that.
He has an appointment with his psychiatrist on Friday and we are hoping that his medication will be adjusted.

All for now!
 
Well, cutting down the Panadol (Tylenol) to three times a day didn't work. My knee got stiff and sore, so I am back to taking the meds 4 times a day. I must try not to rush this recovery!

I would dearly love to have had a simple, peaceful recovery from this TKR, but it wasn't to be. I did at least have the first two weeks of peace and quiet, and then our son and his family came to stay. I loved having the grandchildren here, but suddenly having a house full of extra people did disrupt my routines.

Then, when they left, out other son started getting paranoid. That's still going on and it worries me.

However, in spite of all that, the knee itself has been doing all right. I rest as much as I can and I still find that ice is very soothing.

I went into the garage this morning and sat in my car. I had no difficulty getting into or out of the car and my left leg was able to work the clutch OK. If I get the OK to drive from my OS tomorrow, I might try a short drive. John and I are still sharing a car, as our younger son has borrowed John's car, but I should be able to drive myself around once he gets back.
 
Six-week check up appointment

The six weeks will actually be up tomorrow. but I saw my OS this morning, for my 6-week follow-up.

I managed to walk up the three steps into his surgery using one foot at a time, and using no walking aid. I did hold onto the rail, though. I still used both feet on each step when I was going down again.

My OS was very pleased with my knee. He cleared me for driving (yay! :yay:) and said that, unless I have any problems, he does not need to see me until a year after the operation, at which time I am to have check X-Rays. I am cleared for overseas travel after 3 months. If I have any problems, I can phone for an appointment at any time during the interim.

OS didn't measure my ROM, but assessed it at over 100, with full straightening. I have good strength in my quads and can easily do straight leg lifts now. He agreed that I didn't need PT, and that I can continue to increase activity at my own rate. He told me that "these new knees should see you out" and, barring accident, he didn't expect I would need any revisions.
I'm happy with all that!

John and I went out yesterday evening, to see the movie "Pride". We went to the 6.25pm session, which is not usually crowded. The movie is based on fact, and is about a group of gay and lesbian people in London, who raised money to support the Welsh miners, during the year-long miners' strike (1984, when Margaret Thatcher was PM). It was full of humour, but had some telling moments as well. I thought it was very good.

I was a bit worried about my knee, especially when someone pushed past our seats just as the lights dimmed, but everything was all right. I managed to pull my foot back far enough, so that my knee wasn't knocked.

We grabbed a six-inch Subway on our way home, as it was too late to start cooking dinner.

All-in-all, it was a pleasant evening and it did wonders for my cabin fever. :yes!:
 
Oh Caryl, that is wonderful news! I could not be happier for you! I just hope you keep posting so we can keep up with you. -- Joni
 
Great report, now you can get out and about by yourself.
Glad you enjoyed you day and the movie. We're you able to move your knee around to keep from getting the movie sign?


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Yes, Chris, the rows of seats at this particular movie theatre are spaced far enough apart that you can stretch your leg out and don't have to keep your knee at about 90 degrees all the time. I did a fair amount of fidgeting, and didn't have too much pain in the knee. It was a bit stiff for the first few steps after I stood up, but soon came right. I was a bit wary of being in a crowd, though!
 
I have not been to a movie. I will see if I can sit where there is more leg room. Thanks


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Hello Caryl @Celle

Very good 6 week update and congratulations on back to driving ! :yay:

Although, I'm not using any cane when outside the house, I am still uncertain in a crowd situation.

So, if I am going into the centre of the city or to a crowded shopping centre, I carry it with me and people do make allowances for my slow walking and give you more personal space.

A friend suggested that I buy a folding cane to keep in my handbag and then have it when I feel that I would feel more secure using it.

We also went to the cinema at the weekend, and I was worried about someone passing by me when I was seated.
We went to see "71" a very tense, sitting on the edge of your seat film sent in Belfast in 1971.

It wouldn't have been my first choice, but my DH wanted to see it and he has gone above and beyond all expectations in minding me since the TKR, that I said o.k.

Luckily, as it had been out awhile, the cinema was nearly empty and we had a seat in the front row, with no row in front of us. Although close to the screen, plenty of room to stretch the legs.

My wish for you is Continued good progress and comfort.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments!

I'd like to say something about my progress.
This TKR knee seems to be healing faster than my other TKR did, and faster than many people's knees.
I think that's because I had it done before I had lost any strength in my muscles (particularly my quads) and before I had any deformity caused by tendon and ligament lengthening or shrinking. I had good ROM before the operation. Consequently, apart from the new knee joint itself and the surgical trauma, I had no ground to catch up again.

(I still had the pain, stiffness, sleeplessness, depression and frustration that are common to recovery from a TKR. I still have them, to a lesser degree.)

Every knee is different and every recovery is different. I wouldn't like to think that someone with a new knee replacement is reading my posts and feeling inadequate if they are not making the same sort of progress that I am making.

If you're taking longer than I am, that's OK. It's your knee and your recovery and your knee will recover as it is ready. What is important is that you are making progress, no matter how slow or fast. Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare. The tortoise won that race, through making slow and steady progress.
Be a tortoise if that is what your knee needs. You will get there in the end.

:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
I'm so happy to hear of your great progress. :happydance: I think the same thing about why my second knee is healing faster than the first--I didn't wait too long. :friends:
 
Our son seems to be doing a bit better. We'll see what another week brings.
Our other son is coming back from Auckland today. it will be good to have him here again.

I had a fall yesterday. I caught my foot in the electric blanket cord and fell into the wall and floor. Fortunately, I was able to put my hands out and prevent myself from landing on my knees. I discovered that I can get up off the floor without help.

I don't seem to have sustained any serious damage and I can't see any additional bruising or swelling, but my knee and thigh were sore all day. I spent much of the day resting, elevating and icing, and I had to take an extra Tramadol to help me get comfortable enough to sleep.

Today, the knee is still a little sore, but it does feel better than yesterday. I'll take things easy again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom