TKR Celle's Left TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Celle

I've just been catching up on your thread, you're doing amazingly well. You went through some rotten stuff just before Christmas and I was sad to read that. However, your recovery is marvellous. I'm so pleased about that. Driving everything. Oh independence, sweet, sweet independence. My day will come one day.

I hope that you had a lovely Christmas and New Year x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Hi Ann, @Nana moon 27

Thank you for inquiring about me. I haven't written much lately, because there isn't much to report.

My knee is behaving itself. I do still get the occasional ache if I do too much and I'm still a bit short of energy. However, that's to be expected.

I know that my knee is still healing, because it still feels warmer than the other knee, but I no longer have to stop and think which leg to lead with when I go down a step.
I went for quite a long walk with our son and his two little daughters last Friday and I was able to keep up with them, although I did need to sit down when we reached our destination. I can still feel some pulling when I walk down a slope.

All-in-all, I've been very lucky to be having an uncomplicated, and relatively fast, recovery.

We had a lovely, busy Christmas, with our middle son and his family staying from December 20th to January 2nd. Our daughter-in-law is a treasure and she did more than her share of the meal preparation. The two little girls were as lovely (and as noisy!) as a three-year-old and a five-year-old can be. When they left, we appreciated the lovely hush for about half a day and then started to miss them all.

Our older son came here on Christmas Day, but we haven't seen him since. He says he's OK, though.

We did have some bad news on New Year's Eve. A young man who used to call our house his second home while he was at school was killed in a freak accident in a storm on Catalina Island, in California. He was doing his duty as a Harbour Patrol Officer and has been hailed as a hero. He is to be buried at sea, which is very appropriate, as he loved the ocean. We've sent sympathy to his family.

You seem to be coming along nicely now - that's good.

With love.
 
Oh no! I heard about the terrible accident on Catalina- it was all over our local news. My sincere condolences on the loss of this fine young man.
 
Yes, I'm sad about Tim's death, but also terribly proud that he grew into such a fine young man.

He and his two brothers all did well and traveled far from NZ - one is based in Hungary and one in Egypt.
 
Time Frame for Minor Surgery - how long after TKR?

@Josephine , @Jamie
I have an ingrown toenail that is going to need minor surgery. It's now 15+ weeks since I had the TKR.

When do you think it would be safe to go ahead with this minor procedure?

PS, Josephine, best wishes for your TKR on the 7th.
 
Thank you, Josephine. I'll be thinking of you!
 
4 Month Report

4 months ago today, I wasn't such a happy camper as I am now!

I'm happy to report that there are now days when I forget about THE KNEE for the whole day. Of course, there are other days when I attempt to do too much and the knee still aches and swells and lets me know it is still there. Then I need to have a day of mostly resting.

My knee still feels warm and the scar is still deep pink, so I know that healing is not yet complete. There's still a small, numb area on the outside of my knee. It's much smaller than the still-numb area on my right knee, which seems to be permanent.

Since I didn't go to PT, I haven't had the ROM measured, but I estimate it to be somewhere between 125 and 130, almost as good as the right knee. I can straighten it fully. I still do heel slides when I'm sitting in front of my computer and I do stretches for the back of both legs (usually when I'm in the kitchen, waiting for a pan to come to the boil.)

I'm walking normally and at a normal speed - no walking aids and no limp. I haven't measured how far I can walk, but I've noticed that I am walking further around town, without any problems.

I don't need to take pain killers any more, except on the occasional day when I have done too much. Then, one dose of Panadol/Tylenol works just fine.

I'm sleeping much better and usually only wake once in the night.

Last weekend, I cleaned out and tidied our back shed. That's a job that has been bugging me for about 6 months. I took everything out, sorted it into two heaps - keep and throw away - and then swept all the cobwebs from the roof and shelves, washed the windows and bench, and swept the floor. Then I dusted everything that was going back and arranged it neatly in the shed. Our shed is clean and tidy and our rubbish bin is full.

Now that was a day when I belonged to the ODIC! I rested up the following day.

I still keep my walking stick in the car, but I haven't needed to use it. I can walk up and down the stairs in our local shopping mall. We don't have stairs at home and I still need to practice stairs. I can walk normally down the steps into the sunken part of our garden. Even before my TKR, I couldn't do that.
The steps are wide and shallow and you need to balance one-footed on each one, before stepping down. Since I can do that now, i guess that my balance has improved as well.

I'm very pleased with both my bionic knees. Of course, there were days when recovery was hard, but I can truly say that I am glad I had my TKRs. Without them, I would probably be in a wheelchair by now. Instead, I am enjoying an active life again. :yes!: :) :yay:
 
Great report! Really happy to hear that things have worked so well for you. Enjoying an active life is what it is all
About! :happydance::yay::wowspring::flwrysmile::egypdance:
 
Wonderful report Celle! It's hard to believe it's already four months. I'll have to write a report in my thread too as I'm three days behind you. Have you set anything up for your ingrown toenail yet? I hope it's not bothering you to much. Take care. Anne
 
Hi Anne,
Yes, it's almost your annkneeversary!

I saw my GP about my ingrown toenail and he has suggested a method of using strapping to pull the skin away from the nail. We're trying to avoid surgery, if possible, as I have a blood disorder that makes me bleed more than usual, but it may have to be a small operation if the strapping doesn't work.
 
Hi Caryl, great to read you're doing so well after the second knee. But ahhg, an ingrowing toenail, not a nice thing to have and fingers crossed he non-surgical method works.

How's the weather in New Plymouth? We've had fantastic temps down here in the mid 20's but can you believe tomorrow we have a forecast high of 14. That's what I get I suppose for living in the mountains.
 
You're doing really well. Funny how those chores now feel kind of good to do.
 
Hi Margaret, @Campervan - we've had wonderful weather here in New Plymouth. 22-24 degrees C day after day, and very little wind, which is unusual for here. The pohutukawa trees have been glorious this year.

We did have rain yesterday. How the gardens needed that! The birds appreciated it, too. I saw several of them taking a drink. We have a very tame pair of blackbirds, who always nest in our big camellia tree. The male blackbird comes right up to my pot plants and drinks from the saucers around them. The female stands right beside the spade, waiting for worms when we are gardening.

The toenail has stopped hurting. Here's hoping the strapping works, but I still have my doubts.

@kneeper - there are still chores that I do my best to avoid. Somehow, routine cleaning never did have much allure!
 
@Celle, thank you so much for your encouraging post, it is so helpful to those of us following behind. My second knee is six weeks old now, it is learning how to behave, but it still has a long way to go. It is good to read what I have to look forward to in the future. I'm so pleased that you are doing so well, it's a great report.
 
@Celle must be something about this summer as we too have a tame blackbird in our garden, called Fred. Our 4 year old niece visited last November and Fred duly performed. So now all birds in her garden are called Fred.
 
Oh, Celle.....you're so experienced in "shed work".....could you now come here and help with our garage and basement???? We need a professional....or a bulldozer!!! I'm so proud of you. I know how good you must feel to have accomplished that task.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom