Guest viewing is limited

TKR Celle's Left TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caryl @Celle

Good to hear that your son is a bit better, that must ease you & your husbands' mind.

It will be good to have your other son back from Aukland and having him & his family back in NZ will be a comfort for you.

I shuddered when I read about your trip over the electric blanket flex. Tripping or falling is my bid fear.

It must have shaken you and good that there doesn't seem to be any apparent damage.

Take care, rest, elevate & ice.

Cathie
 
Hi @Celle - so happy to hear that your second TKR is healing so well. I had that with my first and I wish it was like that with my second. I am sure I will get there though. I do hope that your fall has not put you back at all!

Having your son and his family visiting during your rehab must have been crazy. A nice visit I am sure but the timing....

I do hope your other son gets his medication sorted out. It is difficult to deal with your son going through such pain whether it is emotional or physical. My eldest suffers from depression and we have recently had another bad spell with him. He is finally going to get on medication to compliment the psychological assistance he is getting. My heart goes out to you.

Take care of yourself and don't overdo it!
 
Things are going so well for you. I love reading when we reach close to the end of our journey and thinks are doing well. Sometimes they are easy but most the time it's up and down. Thanks for your sharing. It has helped me and I expect many others.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thank you Chris, @waitingtogarden

I know that my knee is doing well, but it still seems like an awfully long time!

Slow and steady progress is good for the knee, but hard on the mind. My mind wants me to be doing things that my knee is not ready for, frustration being the result.

I do wish that I could sort out my sleeping pattern. The days seem long and I am tired by 7 in the evening. So I fall asleep in the chair, in front of the TV. Then, when I go to bed I am wide awake. Once I get to sleep, I sleep for 4-5 hours and then wake up at dawn.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Our younger son is back from Auckland, with my husband's car. It's lovely to have him here again. His wife and children will be back with us in about a week, so the house will be full again.

Our older son is still acting "off". I do hope he improves soon.

Since I am now allowed to drive again, I think I'll go for a short test drive today, just around our local area. If that goes well, I hope to have my car on Thursday, for my coffee morning and for a trip into town, to the jeweller. I had to have one of my rings cut off when I retained fluid post-op and my arthritic knuckles mean that several of my rings need to be made a size larger before I can wear them. I'm just wearing one ring at the moment and my hand feels bare.

Today, I think I'll try to have a sleep after lunch, and see if that means I can stay awake during the evening! I've been awake since 4.30 this morning.
 
Slow and steady progress is good for the knee, but hard on the mind. My mind wants me to be doing things that my knee is not ready for, frustration being the result.

This is so true @Celle! Hope you get the rest your body needs.
 
I've just gone to bed without my regular pain meds. I'm reading these posts with ice on my knee, hoping to sleep through the night. The irregular sleeping has really gotten to me. I am such a creature of habit, which most would call a control freak. Lol! I'm kind of looking to you and others near my surgery date to see how you all are sleeping. I'm sure yours will straighten out soon, too.

I am so bored during the day, I wish I had my grand kids here. They are so entertaining. I hope you enjoy them and have a place to escape to when needed.

I do hope your older son gets better soon - I have know idea if that is the PC way of saying it. I find myself worrying about him.
Goodnight -- Joni


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yeah, the irregular sleep gets really old. Sorry you had a fall @Celle Though good news that you could get up by yourself.
 
Yes, @kneeper , I was pleased that I could get up, too!
Once I realised I had fallen, I lay there, thinking "OK. I'm not hurt, but here I am on the floor. How am I going to get up without hurting my knees?"

I did it by putting just a little weight on my older TKR, pushing up with my arms and then walking my hands back towards my feet. Not elegant, but effective.

Having been awake since about 4.30 yesterday morning, I tried to stay awake during the evening, but I fell asleep in the armchair again. I went to bed around midnight and slept until 4.30 (again) but was then able to doze off and on until 6.30. I guess that's progress!
 
The sleep is a big thing. I am still not back to a routine. I did buy one of those sleep masks to cover my eyes so I am in darkness and that seems to help a bit but now I find I hear everything! Hope you are healing okay from your fall.

Sleep well.
 
Yesterday evening, John and I went out to a travel evening, run by our favourite travel agent. There were stalls about all sorts of travel and we collected a lot of brochures.
We're hoping to travel to England again next year (around May-June) and spend 3 months or so with our daughter. We'll be taking side trips to Europe and other places from time to time while we are there, so that they don't have to cope with "the oldies" for the full time.

I managed OK and I didn't even take my stick, but I was pretty tired by the end of the evening. When we got home, I sat down and elevated and iced my knee. Today, the knee feels a bit stiff, so maybe I overdid it a bit!

I'm going to do a quick trip to the supermarket this morning and that will be my mission for today. I find that I still only have enough energy to do one thing each day. Not much stamina yet!
 
@71Beetle , EAR PLUGS!

@Celle , your trip sounds lovely. I will be in France and Spain in June. Never been off our continent before. I'm hoping to be back to normal by then.

I just love to follow your progress. -- Joni
 
@Celle, sounds like to are progressing very well. I held my breath when I read about your fall. Thank goodness you were okay. The way you described getting up from the floor s the same thing that I do when I get down to do leg slides on the wall. Anne
 
Well, my trip to the supermarket went OK. :yay: I had no problems with driving, except that it is a bit difficult to get out of the car. My TKR knee managed to work the clutch pedal without any pain or hesitation. Woohoo! I've got my independence back!

The supermarket itself was a breeze. I went to the one I usually patronise, where I know what to look for in each aisle. I took my stick and parked it in the trolley. After I had put my shopping in my car, a very nice man saw me with the stick and he offered to take my trolley back and park it. Thank you, sir.

Now I'm tired, so I'll be resting, elevating and icing this afternoon.
 
Oh WOW! I forgot you had a stick shift. I do not think my leg is strong enough to work a clutch yet. Even tho I rode a stationary bike for an hour every day for weeks before my surgery! I still have trouble tightening the too of my quad muscle to do my leg lifts.

Isn't the independence wonderful? I still haven't gone to the store yet....

Joni
 
Congratulations on your driving! That is good news! I still cannot get my right TKR leg high enough to get into my SUV but I will get there! You should check out Canada for a travel destination. But wait until late spring/early summer - that is when it is most beautiful! :)
 
@Djbrund - eye cover, ice pack, pillows to elevate legs, and now ear plugs? I will have so many things to remember, I will lose sleep worrying that I forgot something :)
 
You should check out Canada for a travel destination. But wait until late spring/early summer - that is when it is most beautiful!

@71Beetle
Hi Lisa,
We have been to Canada - quite familiar with Vancouver and did the Rocky Mountaineer one year. We've also stayed around the Quebec City area and spent 10 days driving a rental car around Nova Scotia in the autumn.
Lovely country!
 
You have touched some of the more beautiful parts of our country for sure @Celle. I have never been to New Zealand but I will some day!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom