THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

Well I've been fooling around having fun with everyone on their threads today that I never got around to posting on my own!! That must be a sign of healing :happydance:

On a more serious note, @SurreyGirl please feel free to take well frozen ice packs to your check up next week and feel free to lob at will should your OS step out of line! What a :censored: !

@EL11 Can't remember in one of my foolish posts on other's threads today (might have been on your thread as I was more focused there...maybe!) if I mentioned that tomorrow I am going to see my physio that has kept me together for a year pre op. He gave me lots of great exercises and checked ones I was doing, to keep my core really strong and general upper body strength developed. I'm taking crutches and cane to him tomorrow for review and guidance of use with correct gait and posture and a plan of movement from one to another. Also need to re-address core and upper body strength, as the exercises I was doing pre-op can't be done now....and I need modified exercises for same that will support back issues but won't bother the THR and traumatized tissue in any way. He will follow my OS's build-up-walking-to-six-week-check approach, but I want to walk with the best posture and gait possible. A bit A type that way! Dressage riders are like that!

Today was another good day, after not sleeping much last night and having early morning wobblies. In the wee hours I was having anxiety attacks about core muscles turning into Tapioca pudding (@An54 coined that!), not having correct posture and gait on new walking aids (crutches and cane as OS felt my walker was "holding me back"), back pain returning, left hip pain returning, would I start having withdrawal symptoms as I cut back day time Tramadol to Tylenol for day pain (as per OS suggestion), and wondering when I'd hear about my yet as assigned surgery date for #2 hip today (have signed all the necessary forms with OS yesterday...so looking promising), worrying about my family having to do so much for me while I'm healing, worrying about my young horse an hour from my house being taken care of...and the list goes on...you know how it can get in the middle of the night :gaah: Sleep deprivation is hard....no wonder it is used in warfare as a form of torture...UGH!

At daybreak I had some caffeine, called the phsyio's office for an appointment to address some of the above (usually it takes two weeks to get in, but had one appointment for tomorrow morning, amazing), got out the crutches and practiced, went to the pharmacy with hubby to get new dressings for wound, spoke to the pharmacist about my Tramadol withdrawal concerns (not a big deal, I've Tylenol all day), thanked hubby a lot for all he does and went on to have a great day. Walked with crutches on city sidewalk and took stairs (nothing compared to other's daily and necessary within home treks) to pharmacy instead of ramp (much to hubby's surprise), and then walked half-way out to the barn with hubs this afternoon (after a long ice and elevation) on farm driveway (that wreaked havoc on Saturday but not today), :rotfl: my way through the day on other's threads, and had a good friend stop by for tea and cakes (she brought the cakes) later this afternoon. Quiet a decadent day for almost two-week post-op healing hippy:SUNsmile: Will call OS's office tomorrow about date. Wanted to give them a day's leeway while they are working on things, so they don't think I'm completely neurotic about it...:flabber:...I am!

Wishing everyone a relaxed, comfortable and restful evening and night. Thank you as always for all your support, advices and entertainment.
:roseshwr::flwrysmile::dancy::happydance:
 
Glad you had a good day overall, @Alitm! As you and others have commented, this is all temporary, the progress is definitely happening when you look back from surgery day. I am totally going to channel in my recovery! Reading your posts it’s obvious to me you have been sensible and positive throughout. That’s my goal as well—going to take another 5 mg oxycodone at 9:30, go for a pee (seems like such a production) and go for a short walk! Then to pretend to sleep for a bit. Looking forward to going home tomorrow. So cheered to read your posts!
 
@Alitm Great post, so full of life.

I want to walk with the best posture and gait possible. A bit A type that way! Dressage riders are like that!

I can imagine. It makes sense for anyone, though.

I liked the physical therapist I saw last. He said, "This is your job right now." I get impatient, but am hoping to be able to work on my own muscles in earnest before long. I have a gym membership, but I'm keen to get a treadmill and there's an exercise equipment place in Shrewsbury I want to check out. I had an IronMan before my ex and I sold our house on Orcas Island and got rid of everything. Good to have one for winter, for my boyfriend to use when he has no time to drive to the pool after work ... I used to have a low-profile Pilates Reformer too. But just the idea of doing real stretches, crunches, dumbbells and bands at home again is so appealing.

I used to say of the arthritis pain, "It's a nasty pain." Meaning it didn't come from exertion and there was no real way to get past it, except what I have done.

Soon you will get the new date!
 
:wave:Glad you are doing well.
Getting these hips fixed truly have me a new outlook on life.
Hope your day is sweet!:roseshwr:
 
Hi,
To answer your question, I was released to drive at my three week post op visit. I was anxious to get the okay but didn't drive until a few days afterward. I definitly derived satisfaction out of knowing I was cleared.

I don't know how to advise on the meds. I was very lucky, I only took 4 Oxy and I was done.
Used Extra Strength Tylenol for the next couple weeks and it was enough for me. With that said I was an ice devotee. In those early weeks if I was sitting, lying or sleeping, I had a big ice pack on my hip. I even changed it out in the middle of the night when I got up to use the bathroom. I'd call the office of your OS to advise on stepping down from the meds, just to be safe.

I found with the cane, it just kind of clicked after a couple days. I was apprehensive at first. I really hated the walker. :gaah:It made me feel old and decrepit which I think provided high motivation to get rid of it :heehee: Not advising it, I'm just kind of stubborn that way. I wanted to kick it to the curb after a week. Not an over abundance of patience here, lol.

I think you're doing great. Especially in light of looking at another surgery soon. Your spirits seem high and your progress good. Keep it up.
I hope you have a lovely day!
@Alitm
 
@Layla Thanks as always! You moved along quickly....I hear you on the patience thing!

I'm two weeks tomorrow and I bet by next week I'll be more inclined to want to drive.

I had a great nights sleep last night, with one 37.5 Tramacet at bedtime and one during the night only....thank goodness. If I had not woken up, I wouldn't have taken the second one dose. I feel a tad stiff in the morning for about three strides, and then loosen up, probably from the increased walking in the last two days. During the day I take Tylenol only. I think tonight I'll take Tylenol if I wake up, and tomorrow night I'll just take Tylenol at bedtime. I also live with ice on my hip whenever I'm reclining. The ice is amazing! The pharmacist I spoke to yesterday was on the money in what she said about the Tramacet weaning. I believe the lack of sleep the night before might have been related to my already weening off the Tramacet. I had terrible restless legs, which normally my nightly magnesium takes care of. Who knows, but I'm over that hump and moving on :yes!:. I do get myself into a state when I don't sleep :dubious:!

That walker....it sure does make one feel old and decrepit, and when the OS said it was holding me back, I was thrilled to get rid of it! It serviced its purposed! In one day on the crutches yesterday, I was trialing just one crutch. I think I'll be using the cane in a couple of days. My left hip is starting to kick up, as I do more with my right. The brief holiday period of quiet from leftie post-op is over I think :sad:. The Tylenol will accompany me through to the second surgery.

Knowing the progression of things with this surgery will be so helpful for the second!
Thank you again and as always for your guidance and moral support. Have a lovely day:flwrysmile:
 
Glad you are doing so well, @Alitm. I feel suspiciously great this morning although took a 5 mg oxycodone at 7:0 so that might explain the relative high! Not sure of my plan on narcotics but OS who came in earlier said I’d only be on a low dosage due to my body weight! Hospital stay has been great, if a bit disconcerting with all these comments about how thin I am. I see myself as pretty normal although fairly slender, but definitely not “thin”. But what girl hates such compliments? Bring ‘em on! Hope to get out of here by noon today—wahoo!
 
@Barbaraj That is GREAT news that your are outta there today! Wonderful!
Take what you need for pain, particularly as you are going home. It seems to me that going home is wonderful, but brings a false sense of "do I really need to take my meds" upon one! Take them on schedule for the first few days, and see where you are at. If you get behind the pain it is pretty awful I hear. I did stay on meds around the clock and it certainly helped me rest and recovery. Have you seen the BS post about how taking one's meds on time helps one's body produce endorphins (could be something else..but feel good hormones anyway) to promote better healing, and if under-medicated in the early days, the body produces adrenalin and that retards healing?

Odd that they went on and on a bit bout your weight! Who needs that! Some folks have higher metabolisms than others. Maybe that could be your pat response!

Let us know how you make out at home! Safe travels.

I am technology challenged. I know I have to reduce the pixels in my photos to be able to post, but by how much I can't remember for this forum...can you remember? I've done it once! You are busy getting and settling in at home, by that I'll find the info on here somewhere :heehee:
 
Hi, @Alitm, will try to stick to a round the clock med schedule. Agree that failing to do that, certainly at first, could cause real problems—like major pain! Now that I am home and settled in I feel like I am more stiff and sore, not sure why although maybe I have swelling coming out. A reminder to be diligent about scheduled medications. I am elevating and icing but I get cold, need to get some blankets for this—I am shivering and hubby went to pick up granddaughter for her ballet lesson. Argh!
 
I have a date, I have a date:yes!:! LTHR coming up on November 8th. So relieved to have that scheduled!
Yay!!! Not far either!
You're welcome to borrow my countdown numbers as you get closer!
Congrats @Alitm ...you're an almost double hippy, a fierce creature indeed...
 
@Barbaraj Just getting home is a major deal post op...sounds silly but I've found it to be true from other more minor surgeries as well. I have two blankets on me when I ice. I am almost off all narcodics now. Had Tylenol during day yesterday and then one 37 mg Tramacet at bedtime, and another at 2 AM when I woke up. Today back doing the Tylenol regime, also for left hip who is starting to complain...couldn't she wait another week or so?! I'll do another Tramacet at bedtime tonight, but if I wake, I'll have Tylenol. It's been two weeks tomorrow since my first surgery, so gives you an rough idea of how long it took for me to be comfortable enough to transition off. Everyone is different of course.

I just received my next surgery date from my OS...November 8th. It is eight weeks, minus a day, from first surgery. So relieved to have that scheduled!
 
@1stSurgery eight weeks, minus a day, from first surgery. OS prefers minimum 8 week gap...so am on the money pretty much. SO relieved to have that scheduled. Was coming up my outside two (don't laugh) steps from my little afternoon jaunt over to visit the horses, and was pushing up with my left leg....I could feel a little squawk from leftie. I told her please hang in there! I'm not going to push it.

Hope that you are comfortable and have enough food! What time will DH be home? Soon I hope! Thinking of you :)
 
A step is a step @Alitm. You can quote me on that! They all present a hazard to a THR hippy. 8 weeks is good and reasonable. And you're all set up already at home... you'll be surprised how many things seem easier too the second pass. Because you're aware.

I'm doing great, thanks. Sister is on her way with a mystery surprise dinner and hubby won't be back till late. All day rehearsal and I told him to go ahead and have late dinner with the guys afterwards, I will be fine. He's been slaving over me all week taking care of things. Tomorrow he goes late afternoon till late evening again, we will likely repeat the small cooler of food plan. And next week I should be mounting those 15 stairs I'd think... And have a direct route to FOOD! :)
 
Congratulations, @Alitm, at getting your next surgery scheduled. I am sure that is a relief for you, and while you’re not looking forward to more surgery, you are looking forward to having them both done and getting your life back. The surgeon told me in the hospital that my left hip is not far behind the right, so I know I am due for another surgery at some point as well. I’d like to hold out for six months if I could, but I am not putting a definite deadline on it. If it starts to get worse, I will be making that appointment and scheduling #2. but I need to recover from this surgery first! I have to do more icing!
 
Congrats on the date! Thankfully you don't have to wait long.
With 2019 following shortly thereafter you'll really be starting anew.
So happy for you! And you still have some time for righty to heal a bit more.
Great news!
@Alitm
 
@Barbaraj Hope you are staying warm under all the ice!

Don't worry about your other hip right now, just focusing on healing your new one for the moment. You and your surgeon have had the discussion about your other hip, so see what you can get out of your left hip while you can!

I knew that both hips had to been done, and both have narrowed down my world so much. They have also wreaked havoc on my back. Surgeon feels that eight weeks will give me the time I need to heal enough to handle the second surgery.
Wishing you comfort and rest tonight :flwrysmile:
 
Yay for a date:yahoo:
By years end, you will be on your way to life without hip pain!:yes!:
 
Week two has been busy! Check up with OS, check in with physio for upper body and core, off Tramadol (the fog is lifting thank goodness), making my own breakfast and lunch, hubby organizing and cooking dinners, "whizzing" around on two crutches and fleeting visit to the ODIC (it doesn't take much in the early weeks)!

So glad to be off the Tramadol. It really helped with post op pain, but I couldn't focus, nor could I remember anything! I actually watched the news today (the world is a complicated place) vs. HGTV (easy watching)! Still taking Tylenol, but keep forgetting a dose.

OS wanted me using the cane if possible, but was a bit wobbly, so I tried the crutches instead. Found them to be the answer for week two. In two days of two crutches starting to use one inside, still two outside.
By last night I learned how little it takes to visit the ODIC :yikes: . This is the timeline for week two post-op ODIC entrance.....
Tuesday: Hospital for xray and check up with surgeon.
Wednesday: Drive 15 mins with hubs to get wound dressings at pharmacy in town. Walk one city block to pharmacy from parking lot. Go home. Walk half way to barn in AM and again in PM. Did personal laundry, 1/3 of a load.
Thursday: Go to physio (adapting core and upper body exercises for post op) for half an hour. Come home and walk out to barn with crutches. Do the same in PM.
Thursday PM: so tired can hardly see straight! Stayed in recliner from 5 PM onward, resting and icing. Incredible energy drain, never felt anything like it before.
Friday: Spent day in recliner for most part. Energy started coming back late morning. Still took it easy. Friend came by to visit. Took an apple core out to the horse and came back in...back in recliner!
Checked BoneSmart level of activities guide for week two. I get an F for NOT following the timeline :holysheep:
Patience :headbang:
Wishing all Hippies a relaxing and comfortable night :flwrysmile:
 
Me and my recliner did, AND still do, have a special bond.:loveshwr:
Give your body what it needs.
All temporary!

We all have to find our limits...I say Give yourself a D not an F
Room for improvement:wink:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom