THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

Wow that is a lot just two weeks out! I was very glad to get off the walker and into crutches and they definitely helped when walking outside and concentrating on good form...
 
That was a busy schedule. Thankfully you recognized you were flirting with the ODIC and stopped.
Learning our limitations, which are ever changing can result in small setbacks. Realizing and respecting what your body is telling you is key. Take the time to get the rest you need so you don't go into your second surgery depleted. I hope you have a nice weekend :SUNsmile:
@Alitm
 
I hope you are starting the day out relaxing in your recliner and determined to take it easy and recover from too much activity. Glad to hear you are off the Tramadol and that’s helped to clear the brain fog. Little by little, even at just 2 weeks, you are clearly making good progress—hurray, and keep it up!
 
@Mojo333 and @Layla In my life before before hip pain and surgery, this schedule was doing so little in comparison to what I used to do and will do again. I wanted to share with others how little it takes to set us back at this stage of the game post op, so at least someone else will perhaps avoid the pitfalls of the ODIC! I need those blinkers like the carriage horses, to keep me on the straight and narrow of post op healing :heehee:
Wishing you both, and all fellow hippies a lovely weekend :flwrysmile:
 
@Barbaraj How was your night and how is this morning finding the state of your healing? How is the bed sleeping going? I'm going to try again at the end of this week, week 3 for me but who is counting? I'm going to have to borrow @1stSurgery 's countdown numbers.....don't know if you saw those on her thread...they were amazing and very funny :)
Yes, I've learned my lesson for awhile :curtsey:. I'm not a very patient person either :gaah:. Need to pace myself for optimal healing. Having my next surgery date scheduled hopefully will have a "whoa Nellie" effect :heehee:, and I have to think of rest and healing as "training" :rotfl:

Wishing you a healing and comfortable day :SUNsmile:
 
And that's part of what this forum is all about.
Supporting, encouraging, learning from one another. Thanks for sharing.
Your words will benefit someone.:yes:
@Alitm
 
Good morning, I am up @Alitm, and slurping down a hazelnut latte, compliments of my live-in barista. Sleep was much the same—not great but I will supplement with a nap this afternoon. Even if the quality of my sleep is poor, the fact that I can start out sleeping on my side, even if just for a couple hours, is exciting for me. Before surgery I was not looking forward to sleeping on my back so even a few hours of side sleeping is a gift.
 
Yum, hazelnut latte! I'm making steel cut oats with unsweetened apple sauce and raspberries for breakfast. I'm an Irish Tea gal myself these days, but enjoy a yummy coffee from time to time...and get someone else make it!
We have some great coffee shops in our area. In fact, if I behave myself all week, my girlfriend is picking me up for a very short outing at one of our favourite coffee spots on Thursday. I'll pace myself until then. Won't forget to take my pillow!

Side sleeping, what a luxury. So pleased that you can get comfort on your side! :thumb: I think in another week I'll head back to bed and try the pillow between my legs, and lying on my non op side. :fingersx:

My hubby is making an oxtail soup for me today, chockablock with veggies and bone broth. I eat very little red meat these days, but am craving it at the moment! It must be the protein for healing that my body wants. Trying to have a protein with every meal, and include organic, no sugar, peanut butter with fresh apples from our trees, yum!

Breakfast awaits on the west coast....
 
That sounds horrid! The tail of an ox in boiling water is all I'm imagining :sick:
Google here I come.....

Ugh! Just looked, feeling even worse now :eeeuw: :bolt:
 
Good grief @Alitm your diet sounds so healthy and tasty! I am a wee bit jealous. My resident chef has produced canned soup, crackers and cheese, apple slices and, at my request, a small handful of almonds and prunes. He says he might try to make something a bit more ambitious tonight so who knows. The good news is that my darling baby brother, who is a very accomplished cook, is coming over tomorrow night to make us dinner—that will be heavenly!
 
@Layla
Down south it is a renowned soul food I refused to try.
Until one day, Ms. Dot, our pantry manager at Food Bank insisted I try it and since she is a million years old and the nicest lady I know...I did.
Oh My Stars...
The richest, buttery meat you have ever put your lips on.
Highly recommend...and not cheap either!
 
Don't be too impressed with diet or hubby's cooking @Barbaraj!

With each success pregnancy I've had, I noticed that after one glass of wine with dinner, the following morning I'd feel as if I'd hit every bar in town the night before. I also started getting these weird ear infections from fluid behind my eardrums, and couldn't hear my students when tutoring. It was so odd. My GP referred me to an allergist. Turned out I had some allergies to the usual dust, mold etc. (I was living in Bda at that time and it is so humid there, and mold is the national flower just about!!) It was also discovered that I had yeast in food intolerance, so I had to cut out bread and wine and most things fermented :bawl:! My lament to the allergist was, "What will I drink!?":rotfl: He suggested vodka or gin! That's when I really discovered how yummy a good G & T is. About two years ago I discovered Hendricks gin, which, if you are not a gin lover, is infused with cucumber and is oh so yummy with tonic and a slice of cucumber, particularly on a hot summer day!! I know it is a favourite of @SurreyGirl 's!

A year ago, when the OA became really acute, I saw a naturopathic doctor here in British Columbia, and she immediately changed my diet, removing dairy, wheat and sugar, processed meats etc. as they are inflammatory. That really helped. Unfortunately I do love really good cheese, which I shouldn't have been eating anyway, and miss that! However, I've stuck with it, to my benefit I believe. Hubby and I eat pretty simply. Nothing rich or saucy. When I'm feeling really naughty I blow it all with cheesecake (I make a mean cheesecake!) and wine LOL! But that isn't often :sad:

Hubs enjoys making stews and soups, which is to my benefit now. He also makes a good salad too! I should be adding this to my wonderful hubby story, that I have yet to post in the social room. Trying to work up my creative energy for that!! :heehee:

Sounds like your Hubs is doing a grand job:). When little brother arrives you will be served a super special meal! :yes:
 
@Mojo333 probably around 5PM Pacific time! Beam yourself up "Scottie"!!! Yes on the expensive. Hubs only buys when on sale...but I was begging for it yesterday, so I think he went out of his "only on sale" mode for me :loveshwr:

@Layla Oh I had the same response initially!! My husband had read a recipe he wanted to try, and I was saying all that you just said........but then it smelled SO good when he was cooking it....so the taste buds were saying, "try it, try it". Once I tried it, all the visuals in my mind departed!!! It is kinda like trying mussels and clams for the first time. I remember watching my Dad and brothers eating them and like a typical little bratty sister, making cheeky comments about what they looked liked!! Didn't try them until I was in my late teens, early twenties, and haven't looked back! Same with calamari!
 
I'm also craving salt...what is that about? Anyone else had food cravings while healing post op?
 
@Layla Have you tried Bison? There is a lot of that around here in the butcher section. I haven't been brave enough....yet! We live in a very farm to table area with an abundance of fresh foods, wineries, boutique breweries and gin and vodka distilleries and lots of farm markets that go year round. Our area is known as the "Provence of Canada". I know those who make visits to Provence, France are probably choking on their latte's at that comment, but our area is pretty unique :)
 
Hi there. Yes it is true, I love Hendricks and Fever tree Diet tonic and Cucumber.
We also have a locally produced gin called “Silent Pool” which is slightly more flowery but getting an international reputation.


I tried Oxtail whilst on holiday and loved it. One of my favourite holiday restaurants does steak with a side of oxtail seved in half the bone. Very rich and yummy with buttered mash potato. I don’t eat all day knowing that dish is coming.

We have had another sunny day in England so I made a pasta salad with olive, tomato, red onion, asparagus, basil oil. Chilli, mushroom and crispy bacon and hubs barbecued Iberian pork Medallions which has been marinated in char Sui sauce. Bit of a fusion style there but delicious. After sitting down for an hour went for a walk and now lying in bed icing and on here. What a nice day!

@Barbaraj I look forward to hearing what feast is being prepared for you! At least you have a live in barista!
 
Well, @Alitm , at least your husband has a few things he can produce--my husband keeps asking me "what do you want to eat?" without making any offers of something specific. I know he simply doesn't know how to make much, and I am so grateful for his care, that I am trying to be undemanding and ask for easy stuff like sandwiches and canned soup! You asked if anyone has cravings and, for me, the craving (and it is probably more emotional than actual hunger) is to simply have someone prepare me a nice meal, whatever it might be--I am tired and don't want to think about what I want! Per the Nike motto, "Just Do It" and don't bug me with the details. I am so looking forward to the meal my brother will be making me, that I don't have to plan, or produce a recipe for, or supervise. My husband gets that "deer caught in the headlights" look in his eyes whenever I say, "oh, just whatever" in response to an inquiry about what he should bring me for a meal. I suspect I am sounding like a bit of a brat here, but my "craving" is simply for a nicely prepared meal of some sort to simply be placed in front of me without me having to plan it or think about it.
 
Ha, @SurreyGirl, my barista uses a Nespresso machine so it's basically a bunch of button pressing to prepare that latte, but I agree--he is making them for me and I am grateful. I don't care for gin (very bad experience in college scarred me for life--gin and 7-Up, I have never barfed so much before or after!) but, oh, how I crave my favorite cocktail, a greyhound (what I am slurping in my avatar pic): freshly squeezed grapefruit juice and a healthy slug of vodka! As soon as I can get off all narcotics, totally going to have my husband make me one of those. He has perfected that recipe!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom