THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

@Barbaraj I had to be in at 7:30 and found it to be a great time. Time enough for the second scrub down, did some stretches and off we went.

Please take the "light walking" to heart. The six mins I spent on slightly uneven ground on my driveway on Saturday is still haunting me a bit. Have to ice and take it easy. I'm SO mad at myself!

We had a little blip on the screen last night when our water went off. We have a farm and are on well water, with a great well. First thing this AM Hubby is walking the pasture looking for the leak, found where the ground was saturated and started digging. Poor man, I felt so badly for him. It is 3 PM and he has finally finished, taken a shower, now heading to grocery store and will come back to feed horses and make dinner. I'm going to start taking over my meds I think...feeling fairly clear headed to do so. I have my meds table, and we are keeping a diary of daily doses as well for referral when I get second hip done. Then he can go to bed whenever, and not have to have alarms waking him up. All I do is a little walking and the rest of the time am in the recliner elevating and icing, it is the least I can take over doing, without injuring myself!
 
@Alitm I feel bad for your husband with the well! We also have a well and don’t have any water in the house - can’t flush the toilet when well isn’t working - what a pain!

Although we haven’t had any mini disasters, I’ve also taken over some of the things my husband was doing for me. I have taken over my meds ( with just a few total blanks on my part - did I take it or just think about taking it? I’m trying to be more mindful.)

I’m also helping out a bit in the kitchen (just a bit) really just standing there in solidarity, and I’m working on putting myself to bed. I can bring most things upstairs in a tote, but have a huge (and heavy) ice pack that lasts for hours that I like to start the night with.

But, please take it easy and slow, and don’t do anything that might make you backslide :bignono:
 
@Alitm i just checked on the timeline of events right hip - left hip, and wanted to share with you the correct timeframe. I hope it helps you make your decisions, I know it's not easy.

Left THR - June 7. Exercises and walks proceeed normally and with daily improvement.
3 wks post op, right one started getting cranky and pinging me more frequently, mostly just annoying
4 wks post op, she grew louder and I obstinately ignored her (mistake #573) pushing my walks further for lefty's sake and told righty to kindly stuff it and let us rehab.
5 wks post op I grew depressed, ate chocolate ice cream, and was forced to shorten walks reluctantly
6 wks post op pain intensified, started talking about possibility of scheduling #2 surgery sooner than anticipated.(Nov/Dec was the original plan)
I cancelled an out of town work date in August, Right side pain was by then unrelenting, not going away
It took a few hard weeks to then accept the inevitable -I was not going to get real downtime between surgeries
8 wks post op I made the call and took the first opening for surgery available, still a 45 day wait
9 wks post op I went wild and recklesslessly bent down to ...pet the cat - causing excruciating right groin pain
That pet put me back on the Walker and into bed until this past week's surgery, 13 weeks from #1

I should have done both of them over a year ago.

Hope you won't have to suffer as long or needlessly waiting for your second one! That said, I am ecstatic it's all done and onward to the healing journey!! Double hippy hugs!
 
@Knitquilt We have water again! My husband is tired! I'm relieved I'm up to doing my own meds. I am writing it down in the diary we are keeping. I also have a chart to refer to!!!! Pathetic but it will keep me on track, as although more clear headed, I still find the mind fog lurking!!

@1stSurgery thank you for your timeline....your second hip's down hill steep decent happened so darn fast, particularly when the OS thought the second would hold out a bit longer. I know I'm bone on bone on leftie so with all the factors involved, sooner the better me thinks. It isn't going to help righty heal if lefty fails completely. I was so tired, from pain, coming into surgery and I don't want to feel that way again at all! More than anything, I just want to get back to living. It does nothing for one's overall health to be sitting on the couch....not to mention it might just drive me completely around the bend emotionally!!! You know the deal oh too well. Thank you again!
 
Hope today is a better day..
Glad you got the water sorted...seriously bad timing to have to deal with other aggravations.
Sending good Mojo your way:loveshwr:
 
Good day here thus far :yes!: Doing my own meds, showered, made breakfast (steel cut oats, no added sugar apple sauce and raspberries). Put on make up for my OS visit and waiting for hubby to bet back and pick me after his AM appointment. Elevating and icing while I wait. Feeling like I can cut back again on the tramadol dosing. Still around the clock, but a lot less.
Got into my recliner last night to sleep, on the lower Tramadol dose, and my leg was so wiggly and restless. No pain. Started getting the zips and zaps in the leg and tingling in the feet that folks here describe. Wasn't worried thanks to you all, and kinda neat to feel the healing going on. Had to go through two meditations to go to sleep!
At my three AM dosing I decided to up the Tramadol for that dose, as I knew I had a busy day ahead, and needed to get some quality sleep. @1stSurgery and @JoeKnows we could have had a tri chat if we could get our awake in the middle of the night times sorted! We are on the same time zone at least! Took the lower Tram dose this AM and hope it holds me through the extra walking today.
 
Good luck today at your OS appointment, a big milestone for you, I'm sure. Sounds like you are doing great, being sensible about activity, appropriately medicating and, I hope, feeling a wee bit stronger and more confident every day. Onwards and upwards!
 
Thinking of you @Alitm and hoping to hear some good news after your appointment. I slept through the night and this time have none of the irksome digestive / bathroom issues as last time, so in some respects this side has its positive aspects. Pain worse though. Let us know when you're home! Good luck.
 
Hi everyone, great visit with OS :egypdance:
1. Staples out.
2.Wants me to move onto cane as he feels the walker is holding me back.
3. Wants me to walk walk walk and carefully get on with activities of daily living until the 6 week mark, when I see him again. NO PHSYIO until after six weeks, but to be discussed at the six week appointment, BECAUSE soft tissues have to heal, and new soft tissues have to form (new joint capsule etc). He said one can't strengthen anything hip or hip related with physio until after that time. Another affirmation for the BoneSmart mantra!
4. I forgot to ask him about driving, and he didn't bring it up. I anticipate I'll be able to drive after the six week appointment. I'll have a few weeks of driving before back in the OR!
5. Restrictions until six weeks. After six weeks he asked that I not bring knee to chest for quite awhile longer.
6. OS said the OA hip joint looked really dreadful, terrible in fact. No surprise there! I asked him if he could take a picture of #2. He said he'd try, but doesn't like cell phones and the like in the OR due to infection...and the hospital has nothing like the facility to film like @1stSurgery 's does!
7. OS said to call office secretary and she should have date for me. Spoke to her and she says he is booked until December. My response was, "So no chance to get it done at 8 weeks out post op from #1?". She then said that two weeks ago OS had spoken to her about scheduling my second hip 8 weeks after the first. She is going to "talk to the hospital", which I'm assuming is to get him an OR spot, and will call me back. Prayers and fingers crossed that she can get me in within the last two weeks of November, not December! Ugh, no delays please!
8. Would like me to continue with the Tramadol at night, but has encouraged me to up the Tylenol during the day and wean off the Tramadol during the day. He said that if I stay on it all the time for much longer, I'll start feeling kinda off, sweating a lot etc. He is going to put up another Rx for me though while I do that. Except for the extra dose I took today prior to the hospital appointments, I'd cut back already and feeling comfortable...pretty darn amazing. I felt slightly over medicated by that extra tablet, so a sign that I really didn't need it. The ice has helped immensely with the soft tissue issues and I have had that ice machine hip pad on my all the time while in the recliner. Will follow the same regime with #2.

I had the ability to really see what my walking on "easy" ground (flat and smooth) was really about while going from x-ray to orthopaedic clinic and back down to parking lot etc., and although I have swelling from being on my feet more than normal in one go, NO PAIN! :happydance::spin:. Elevating and icing now. OS surgeon said I'd have matching "fat" ankles for a bit! Yuck!

Getting in and out of the car was so easy compared to ten days ago. Couldn't believe it. Two steps out of house easy too.

We have stairs that go down to a granny suite type set up, which we use for when our two older kids visit or house guests come. We access basement storage that way, but I have zero need to go down there at the moment, so never mentioned them. Once I feel comfy on the cane in the house, I will practice the stairs, after six weeks....why stress those forming/healing soft tissues if not necessary. I have to find somewhere to extend my walking, outside of the house, without needing someone to drive me to it! OS says to try the driveway again this wekend. We'll see.

I can't believe how far I have come in ten days. Pretty darn amazing how healing comes along when you let it. Of course more to go, and no, I'm not going to :fasthorse: out the gate! I am every thankful for all the hippy support :thankyou::roseshwr:. Of course there will be setbacks, and bumps in the road ahead, and yes, a whole other surgery to get through. However, today I'm feeling super encouraged that I will get my life back eventually, and that will get me to tomorrow at least :heehee:
:flwrysmile:
 
That all sounds great encouraging and very informative too @Alitm! Congrats! Very interesting and reaffirming about the soft tissue issue, don't even bother until 6 weeks. I have had a similar hunch - feeling about 6 week Timeframe as well. When it's time I want to work on gait and regaining all the fabulous rom and flexibility I had...and balance. As I think balance will need to be relearned. But I keep feeling that will be somewhere between 6-8 wks out. All in all.. Sounds like you had a great post op visit, so happy for you!

As for the next surgery date, I got in on a cancellation, it does happen frequently, so fingers crossed for you. All the walking and car exits and entrances seem to have gone well also. I'd say you rocked this one and are on your way to getting back in the saddle again after number 2 and an equally strong recovery.

I'd recommend if you haven't yet to keep a journal of your milestones and meds on number one so you have it handy for number two. Even though they're different, you'll want it. I said no to the stool softeners and stomach antacids this time and had zero nausea, Diarreah or digestive issues. Barely even any constipation since eating the pumpkin purée and drinking prune juice. Last time was an unfortunate collage of bathroom nightmares! But hip pain worse this time. It's good to note the differences.

As for my now infamous femoral head video...I was lucky to have my surgeon filming it at Sony Studios... Good lighting is so important... :rotfl: That is of course not true. The studio part..... :)

Your OS sounds like a keeper.
 
Yes I am keeping a diary of meds and making progress notes, OS visits etc. on it.

I have to say, I ask my poor OS so many questions, and come across as completely neurotic at times! He is so patient and C A L M! At the same time, he reminds me that the whole point of going through THR is to get one's life back and to GET ON with it! So funny, today, when he dangled the question, "So are you ready to get on with the other hip", I felt like:dogwalk:.....except this pup is running the wrong direction! Really I felt like my dogs when I pull their leash for a walk! Maybe this is a better emoji in terms of directionality :fasthorse:!

Glad to know if your success with the prune juice and pumpkin purée. Did you heat the pumpkin, add cinnamon or anything else?

Do you recall your journey from walker to cane at all with #1? I need some chat about that, as that is my next project!

Hopefully the chillin' will get down to the desired temp and that pain will be a thing of the past! Icing as I type! I will comment that the machine doesn't feel as icy as the ice packs when it first goes on, but it lasts a lot longer. I love it when hubby replenishes it, and I feel that C O L D water coming through the pack....just puts that pain and swelling on the back burner immediately. Very comforting when one hurts!
 
I think I need a nap...how many more typos can I make?! Can't even blame it on the meds anymore, as I'm not taking as much! Tylenol doesn't count either! My big outing has me :sleep:
 
@lovesstars I'll have to read back about what your OS said about the transition timing for you. Just in the last two days (today being one of them), do I feel remotely balanced and strong enough on the op leg to consider the cane. I'm too tired now to even think about it today...serious overwhelming nap attack coming through. In my neurotic way, I'll have to look on the web to brush up on how to use the cane properly. We went over it in PT shortly before I left the hospital (while I was doing the stairs) and that was it...of course the final details have escaped me. Will read your report back from your check up again, and do some cane reading and I ' l l g e t b a c k t o y o u zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 
NO PHSYIO until after six weeks, but to be discussed at the six week appointment, BECAUSE soft tissues have to heal, and new soft tissues have to form (new joint capsule etc). He said one can't strengthen anything hip or hip related with physio until after that time. Another affirmation for the BoneSmart mantra!
Yay for your OS.
Great job @Alitm !!
You've got this!
 
@Alitm your OS sounds great and very interesting about the PT! Of course mine is very different. When he saw me in the ward he

A) spotted my ice pack and moaned about me icing as he didn’t see the point of it

B) Asked me why I was in bed and not in a chair in my second day (answer I was in bed on morphine with my foot up after a very painful physio session. If I didn’t move it didn’t hurt!

C) checked that my catheter was out ( it had been taken out rather painfully earlier as the nurses knew he wanted patients off them ASAP! And he tells them off apparently!

D) reminded me again to lose weight and told me with a smile it would probably take two years. I nearly lobbed my ice pack at him.

9-10 weeks on and hopefully my follow up next week. Grrrgh! Hip feels strong and solid though to give my OS credit - and It is the soft tissue and muscles that are moaning! Will be interesting to see what he has to say about further PT.

Hubby and I have been catching up on the old radio series “Doctor in the House” (BBC 4 Extra for my UK Hippy friends) and crying with laughter.

The next episode has the young doctors experiencing their first operation under the guidance of “Sir Lancelot Spratt”...a rather good but very traditional surgeon.. any references to persons living entirely coincidental :-)
.
 
@Alitm You are powering ahead, this is so good.

I made the transition from walker to crutches in a week both times. I never used a cane. I think the key is to do what facilitates a return to natural walking, is not unduly comfortable, does not cause you to lapse into harmful habits. Today, the pt watched me walk with one crutch and said to do that. He told me that if he'd seen any foot-twisting or other signs that I couldn't support myself, he wouldn't have recommended it. The walker was a necessity for me when I got home from the hospital, but as soon as my pain was controlled a bit, I began switching off between walker and crutches, as I couldn't use the former without hunching and it was driving me nuts.

I hope you can get in sooner, that would be fantastic.
 
Last edited:
Great visit with the OS!
Very informative and I like his ideas. It seems you're doing really well. I know you're anxious for the next hip and I don't blame you but letting this one heal a bit feels like an asset. Especially now that you're seeing how quickly progress is made.

If you're interested in driving, you may want to call the office and check on that. Once you're off the heavy narcotics you may get the go ahead to drive before the Six Week mark. I was Right THR posterior just as you are....I think?

As for transitioning to the cane. I began around day eleven. I started by practicing in my home and overdid it the first day. I was sore the next day but iced a lot and all was okay. I walked into my 3 week post op appt with my cane, but carried it more than it touched the ground at that point. I left it on the floor in the backseat of my vehicle for several months afterward. Why? I don't know...

Keep up the good work. I hope you have a relaxing evening.
@Alitm
 
@Layla thanks so much for the feedback, much appreciated :SUNsmile:

I am a right THR as well, so driving comes a bit later yes, as soon as one is off the narcodics? At what point did you drive? I don't feel crazy anxious about it just yet, but that will come as I continue to heal.

Just in the last two days I felt overmedicated and had started dropping the Tramadol doses and taking more Tylenol. I was taking a lot of Tylenol pre-op so not sure what I'll need before Leftie gets to the OR! OS suggested I ditch the daytime Tramadol, up Tylenol, and take the Tramadol at night/bedtime only for a little while longer. After being on all the meds for ten days, can I just drop the day time doses boom, or should I do it over a few days?

I will be thirteen days tomorrow and feel up to playing around with the cane, slowly, and take heed from your experience. Hubs and I think I'll be more secure outside on the farm with crutches vs. a cane for a bit. The other thing I'm thinking, is perhaps if I wear hiking boots (which is what I normally wear while doing barn chores), instead of flimsy (in comparison) sketchers, I would have much more support on the slightly uneven ground that I attempted last Saturday. OS says to keep giving outside on the farm little tries every few days and stay on the level, harder ground. He also suggested hiking poles when I'm ready. I will practice walking on asphalt and store floors when I go on errands with friends and DH. I want to walk into my six week appointment with no walking aid! It will be what it will be.

I was so happy to have been able to really walk out at the hospital. X-ray was busy busy but the ortho clinic wasn't so bad. I got home and had my first experience with the energy drain...as you might have seen from some of my posts! Boy does it every just hit one in the head! Glad I had read about it here!
Have a good evening, whats left of it :) You are two hours ahead of me I think! Thank you again:flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom