THR Celebrating one at a time, encore!

Ha ha, I have the reverse issue with vodka from college days :sick:@Barbaraj

Does your hubby grill? Maybe that is where his culinary talents are hidden! Never fear, little bro will be there, and perhaps he can make an exotic dish for you that will keep, in addition to dinner tonight. Perhaps a quiche and ready made salad from the deli section might be easy for Hubs in a pinch. I bet you can't wait for for your Greyhound, once off narcotics!
 
@SurreyGirl made me hungry!! Quite a nice, descriptive food post there. I had an appetite increase with this as well as last THR.
@Alitm I wanted to tell you that I think, now that you have your date for #2, you should be very aware of fortifying for it now, and sounds like your body is telling you that also by asking for protein. What I found in having number 2 a few months later - in effect while number 1 was still busy healing -- was there is a limit to how much recuperative strength we possess, and you want to go into that second surgery as strong as possible, nutritionally. So I'd be generous with proteins and fresh foods now and overall balanced meals, don't skimp. It's possible my righty has been slower to heal than lefty was because it has a more limited pool of reserves to draw from now that both are in healing mode. Or maybe it was just that much worse of an "injury"... Having the alien in there and all... ;) You're doing so well I'm sure you will ace number 2 also but consider this as your prep time. Now I'm getting ridiculously hungry!!
 
Frankly, @JoeKnows, my husband should know me well enough after 20+ years that it should not be that hard to come up with something I would like. I find the effort to think about what I want equals stress for—just make whatever! But it’s early days and I am still in whiny mode!
 
@1stSurgery You are so right about appropriate nutrition. I find the below links re: energy drain and rate of healing are so helpful to understand the assault one's body goes through. They were good to revisit after my little indiscretion, eh hem, this week.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-thrs.12415/

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-thrs.12415/

Hope you are resting and eating well. Every time I think of those stairs I am in awe of you. I look at mine and say..."another day". I think I need to dial into @EL11 to check out her progress a bit more, to give me a better idea of how things will unfold after leftie's surgery....now that I'm off the tramacet and can focus a bit more :heehee: .
 
The meal was lovely. Re coffee, we treated ourselves to a joint anniversary present of a Heston/Sage expresso coffee machine. No capsules here. H loves the Heath Robbinsoness of it all and the steamer for the milk, it has a grinder, tamper, frothed and lots of buttons and dials. I think he is in love!
 
Thanks @Alitm, yes that's a very good article about the energy drain and how to visualize it.

I'm ok and basically just living the life of my cat right now. Meals are prepared and brought to me, then the dish is quickly removed once I've scarfed. Fresh water is refilled as needed. I make periodic trips to the litter box...er, I mean, restroom.. And I nap and nap ...and nap some more. Groom a little and crawl into my cozy bed and ...rest. Gazing out the windows at the trees outside....

Hope the pain starts to subside significantly very soon!! I think it's impacting my sanity!! :snork:
 
Yes, I've tried Bison in burger form several times and I like it!
I'm trying to move toward a more anti inflammatory diet myself, simply because it seems more healthy.
Hard to give up Vino though. I enjoy a glass with dinner now and then.
You're lucky you live in the area you do as you described farm to table, wineries etc.
That dinner with the Pasta Salad and Pork Medallions that Surrey Girl described above sounds good too.
I hope you've had a good day. Enjoy the evening!
@Alitm
 
@1stSurgery I'm glad you still have your sense of humour!

I hope this new week brings your pain levels down too. It is very wearing on one. You are doing this all again, and you had so much pain before surgery that I'm sure that didn't hep your stamina.

Very uneventful day here. Made breakfast and had a shower, and then spoke to SIL in Bda via Whats Ap video. I was yawing by the end of the conversation! I had been in recliner for entire LONG catch up chat so figured that counted as rest, so then decided to make lunch (salad with whatever was in the fridge!)....made lunch and got it over to recliner. Another friend called while she was driving home and that was tiring too!! Good grief. There is a lot of healing going on today I think, as I'm able to walk a lot with one crutch, but as I tire I keep the other one by my side as an outrigger! Not really using it but there just in case!

Windy and Fallish today up here. No sun so no venturing out for some benny rays - that is my excuse to avoid the ODIC gremlins! Rain is coming tonight, so tomorrow will be another uneventful indoor day. All this "training" for #2 surgery is exhausting! :mcoffee:

A friend wants to take me out for a coffee on Thursday. I said, "there and back with cushion" and then straight home. If I'm not feeling up to it, I'll cancel. Thursday is the end of week three...but who is counting!! Sorry, couldn't resist!
I found the pain much better about nine days out. There is hope :bored:...wishing you a comfortable night:flwrysmile:

:kittymilk:
 
Hey there @Alitm I... see that your surgeries are about as far apart as mine were. Bottom line is, I'm pleased with the way I did it. Fear not.

I am doing well in many respects. I'm on one crutch; the pt watched me walk and said my stride looked "awesome." My vitals are good, blood pressure normal after years of being high, though I'm still waiting till I'm not on any meds to see whether it has legitimately come down. I've had less appetite than usual and am less inclined to compulsively snack. I'm trying to make a habit of eating slowly and thoughtfully, just like mom used to advise, because the 6-7 lbs I've been wanting to lose will take 25 lbs off my hips, OR IS IT 250, no that can't be right. The right side is still a bit sore but I'm able to depend on it for walking one step at a time. When I do the lying-down leg raises, I marvel at how my right leg can go a foot in the air, left one still 4 inches or so. I climb the stairs once or twice a day, one step at a time. The pattern with foot and crutch is more confusing and the good leg is not 100% good but I just go dead slow.

I am seeing the OS Tuesday and so looking forward to that. As I posted elsewhere, my left hip always hurt worse though the right was bone-on-bone. The last physical therapist gave me the name of what the OS said I had going on over there as well as the general arthritis, osteonecrosis. He said that he has it too; he's only in his 40s and has had arthritis since he was 2. He said it would account for the greater pain post-op this time, so that's high on my list of questions.

I am sleeping much better than I was after the first surgery ( put this foam wedge I got from Amazon under my knees and am more able to sleep that way on my back, which amazes me)—but I wake up with a deep soreness on the surgical side, verging on puke-inducing. 30 mg a day of oxycodone takes care of it. I know the usual advice is to take the drugs and not worry. They were a lifesaver on Week One (@1stSurgery) . Maybe I'm especially sensitive to the effects, and the pt said my dose was so modest I could even stop cold without having much trouble, but I swear I had withdrawal problems last time after having had much less, and I don't think it was my imagination. And after the first few days of feeling so chill and optimistic an hour after having taken a dose, the less positive effects started unsettling me. I have had instances of typing a sentence and misplacing a word that could not be attributed to a spellcheck mishap, like "Tupperware" for "pharmacy," and it kinda freaked me out. I would like to wean off substituting a modest amount of ibuprofen midday if the doc advises it as he did before, at the 2-week mark. We'll see. I will say that the deep soreness I describe is nowhere near as bad as the electric stinging I had in my quad when I took my first walk down the hospital hall this go-around. I almost screamed.

Today we went out to eat, me with my one crutch. I'd not had the opioid since 9:45am and my hip hurt like h-e-double-hocky-sticks. My bf advised me to take a dose but not drink, which of course you're not supposed to. So I seem to be weaning today, but I have them right nearby if sleep eludes me.

That's good advice, about the protein and fresh foods. Unlike many of you, I am on my own 12-14 hours a day and have to get my own food and ice packs and whatnot, but I have a food delivery service. My guy is a great cook and is going to grill salmon tomorrow and make salmon salad for leftovers, my favorite thing. I really need to drink more water ... have the big carafe right here.

My general feeling is that if I had it to do over again I might have spaced my surgeries 8 weeks apart instead of 7, and you're close to 8, which is probably ideal. There's a bit of catching up on the other leg but I think it's all going to be great in the end.
 
Your espresso machine sounds wonderful, @SurreyGirl—and fun to fiddle with for excellent coffee drinks. Our Nespresso was supposed to wean my husband off his daily Starbucks habit, unsuccessfully in the end.
 
Thanks so much @Alitm! I THINK the pain levels are just now starting to recede some, hoping I'm not imagining that ....but have done a few tests to verify, and I think it's improving! I love the little kitty emoji btw! I missed that one.

An uneventful day is a good one! And you're getting yourself meals and getting around, all sounds right on target and on time. You made a good point about that previous debilitating righty OA pain having possibly weakened my ability to heal fast this time. Just the energy it robbed those past months could've played a role. Hadn't thought about it. Another case for not waiting too long to do the forgotten hip!

Hubby is cooking up scallops now, Yummm.... tomorrow will be another alone day as he is working day & night a bit out of area.

Wishing you a beautiful and restful sleep tonight and continued progress on walking and the crutch-capade!
 
Hi @EL11 I was making my way over to you when I saw this alert :) . Thanks for all the info!

I had Dilaudid to start with and it made me itch. I then went onto the Tramacet. I came off the Tramacet this past week...at two weeks as you did the first time. I found that I had such fog brain. If you look at my early post op posts, I think I spelled Dilaudid a variety of different ways. Over all, I could not focus and I couldn't remember anything anyone said. I felt so cognitively impaired! I'm not sure how much the general anaesthesia played a part in all that. I weaned off about three days ago. I am taking Tylenol, but keep forgetting to take it during the day. I find that it is when I'm icing that I forget. Ice really helps me!

So glad that you have a good food service to use with your BF gone for long stretches. I'm making my own breakfast and lunch. Hubby has had a lot to do on the farm and he waited on me hand and foot the first week and kept track of my meds....I couldn't have done that the first week. He is making dinners.

Although nothing sinful passes my lips at the moment, I would like to lose about 8 lbs so less stress on my new hip(s)! All this resting is very hard for me, although the energy drain if I do too much is a quick wake up call to behave! I know my body is healing, and the more I let it heal, the easier the second surgery will be....with a more healed first op leg!

My OS said no physio other than walking for six weeks, while the new joint capsule is forming and the traumatized soft tissue is healing and settling down. I'm trying to walk a lot but overdid it when I first started with the crutches on Weds....it took three days of walking up a storm for the energy drain to hit me, but wow, when it did I've never felt anything like it! I hate that I'm losing fitness like anything, and am so tired! However, I see that resting, being more self sufficient and walking are my "training" for #2 surgery!

I practiced back sleeping with a wedge before first surgery and found that I got used to it, and slept quite well. However, post op I was miserable. I started sleeping in the recliner and haven't been back in our bedroom...which I hate, but I do like getting a decent night's sleep! I think that by the end of week three I'll try it again as see how it goes.

How did you decide to space your surgeries? My OS said 8 - 10 weeks between surgeries and he wouldn't do them any closer. I think he wants that joint capsule to form, and the soft tissue trauma to settle down and heal at a basic level before having the second surgery. It is hard to imagine I'll be ready in 5 - 6 weeks from now! With all the farm work and the horses, I wanted to have the surgeries as close as possible, so I can heal and rehab etc. and phase back into life. It is a lot on my husband right now.

Let me know how your appointment goes with your OS this week! Thanks for checking in, much appreciated. I am going to re-read your thread. I think I read it in week one, but can't remember LOL!!
 
@1stSurgery Scallops? YUM!!! Enjoy :)

So glad that your pain is easing....even if just a little bit.
Hope you have a good sleep and wishing you another pain downgrade tomorrow :flwrysmile:
 
@EL11 - he has had arthritis since he was 2?!? Wow. How does that happen? I've not heard about infant arthritis, maybe one of those very rare conditions? That's remarkable and must be so painful by the time one is 50.

I swear by those Amazon foam wedge pillows under the knees too! I have multiples of the small curved one for between the legs - that I use for behind the neck, under the knees, propped behind the back for sitting up and anywhere else I can squeeze them.

Am also starting to taper the oxy and on a pretty low dose to begin with. Each tablet is 5mg which is good for me, lower, as I tend to react to most prescription drugs more adversely than most people. This dose has been good in that I've noticed relatively few side effects yet it still manages the pain. I've gone today with only one taken late this morning, and am doing ok so far. Which means that crushing deep pain of the past week is finally starting to pack up and leave town! Not a minute too soon.

Tomorrow is stairs day. Need to relieve the hubby of all these duties involving stairs so ...going to tackle and get the stairs down, for Sunday's mission.

I can't get over the stark difference so far in the healing process of these two hips - it's almost as if they were each in an entirely different body. Amazing.
 
@EL11 I just realized you have had both hips via anterior and I'm posterior for both. I don't think I was as mobile as you by a long shot after surgery! I'm feeling stronger in my op leg now, and am just waiting to see when my #2 hip is going to conk out....I'm praying it will hang in there until Nov 8!
 
Its NOT going to conk out @Alitm!!
First off, it was there with you when you made the appointment for November ...so it knows you're not going to just beat it up and make it work like a mule endlessly while recovering the operated leg. It is on the same countdown you are! Secondly, it's not really that far off Nov 8, not enough time for a full conk to occur... and thirdly, you are far more mindful of it than I was and others who weren't forewarned about a possible forgotten hip rebellion in the works. So... You will hear right away if it so much as squeaks or squawks at you --and you'll adjust and pull back just enough. Not tell it to shut up and just forge ahead like I did. I think you're going to be just fine with the other hip and that you were smart to ink it in early.
Now me and my frozen thigh are going to sleep!
Ice dreams!

:ice:
 
Still remembering the pain the first week in particular, I think We are ALL heroes. Posterior approach (I’m one) is known to be harder for recovery generally because, let’s face it, who wants an 8inch plus cut into and down one’s backside! Also the worse the hip was pre op does seem to effect recovery.

Re walking with one crutch and dragging the other as a back up. Yup, being doing a lot of that. Re walking unaided 10 weeks out - well some days are better than others. Still small steps for womankind here! Stairs for me have always been good. I tried them without the crutch and just using the bannister yesterday and it was slow but fine.

Interesting that Josephine has said I can still have codeine 10 weeks in. Not sure because of having to drive and work. I have been lucky to have been able to have the time off but need to get back.

Loving all the foodie comments here. Scallops. Yum! And I am usually a fussy tea drinker but all the coffee H has been making might be converting me. Despite it being a “joint” present I leave the mystery of the machine up to him.

Interesting stats about losing the weight and the effect it has on hips, knees etc. I will have to keep that as a mantra.

Good luck with continuing recoveries and painless ones and I hope @1stSurgery that you get the pain lessened day by day.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom