MUA CATSMUM's new road to recovery

Had a fairly good night, woke at 1.45 after going to sleep at 9.45, went back to sleep and woke at 4.30', so a good night all in all. Stopped taking my codeine at 10pm and the one at 2am. Knee is a little easier this morning too, so hopefully , the knee is beginning to calm down again.

Got a GP appointment this afternoon to get another fit note, he'll probably want a look and I'm hoping he'll be pleased with it. Not due to see my OS for another couple of weeks.

Just doing gentle exercises today and a short walk. :running:
 
All sounds good. Glad you slept fairly well. Hope all goes well with the GP. Have you seen your OS yet? I don't see mine until 6 weeks post-op. That's his usual protocol. How many weeks will you have had off before you start your return to work plan - 12 or longer? That emoji you posted looks a lot like somebody running not going for a short walk, lol!!
 
@Raffs Couldn't find one that was walking but I'm always told that l have 2 speeds, fast and faster!!! GP is pleased with my progress, I asked him if he could prescribe me a lower dose of codeine to see how l get on with it, which he's done. My OS normally sees his knees at 6 weeks, then 3 months but because I'm 'wise' he'd see me at 8 weeks and leave it at that until my year appointment. Not due to see him until 4 Aug. I'll probably end up having about 13/14 weeks off before my rtw plan starts, mainly because I want to get the first couple of weeks of the knee class out the way. That was also about the same amount of time l had off with my first knee replacement. :)
 
I used to walk fast too - hoping that returns in the future. Good news re the GP. I like that your OS thinks you're wise - I think mine thinks I'm a bit of a twit!! 13/14 weeks is great, very sensible. I can take as long as I need but I'm desperate to get to an event in Brighton on 12 Sept which will be almost 11 weeks post-op. We will see....! Have a good night and sweet dreams. :sleeep:
 
@Raffs I'm sure you'll be fine for the visit to Brighton. They say 12 weeks is really the minimum to recover so I think 13/14 weeks is a good time to think about returning, not too short, not too long. Have to have my rtw plan agreed so it will probably by middle of Sept before l start it.

Was reading your thread and noticed you had a reply about using your crutches, I have a walking stick and l must admit that l only use it outside, I'm still limping without it, so l guess l should be using it inside too!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Slept fairly well. Got Physio this lunchtime so will only do a few exercises this morning. Hoping to get rid of my stick but as I'm still limping I'm not surecif this will happen today.

ROM is better than it was a couple of weeks ago and extension is getting there, just seems to be a slower recovery than l anticipated. Scar is still quite tender and knee gets achy and sore at times, still one improvement has happened, feeling is coming back on the outside of my knee.
 
Morning. I've read up about crutches/canes and found out that we should be using a walking aid until we can walk without a limp so let's both behave and use them! Mind you, at this rate I'll still be using a crutch in 6 months time with my lurching walk!! Hope the PT goes well. Please post later with an update. The numb area on my knee makes me feel a bit icky - know it's totally normal but it kind of freaks me out!!
 
@Raffs As hard as l find it to behave :loll:I'll do my best to remember to use my stick around the house. Will post an update when l get back from Physio. Thinking of taking a fold up cane with me when we go on our hols to Portugal in October, might get a little bit of sympathy and a free glass of vino from the bar staff, lol!
 
Just back from Physio, she's very pleased with my progress. Bend is 100 degrees which she was more than happy with. Was initially unable to get zero extension turns out it was due to the muscle behind my knee being in spasm, after a lot of deep massage she'd managed to release it and get my knee to zero, result! Went on static bike for 3 minutes and was able to do a full rotation without any problem much to my surprise. Only need to use my walking stick if l feel l need it. Got my next Physio appointment in 3 weeks time when she'll probably discharge me. :spin::happydance:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Slept pretty well last night, about 6 hours all in all. Used heat pad on the muscle behind the knee that spasms every so often, also massage it, Physio said I'd need to do that. Looking in the Internet l think it's either the plantaris muscle (l also has plantar fasciitis problems after surgery) or the Popliteus muscle, looking at where the muscles are located, l think it's the plantaris muscle. IT band is also a little tender too.

Will continue icing, using heat and will go for a short walk today.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hope the muscle pain starts to improve soon. Sounds like you're doing all the right things.
 
Woke at 2.30am this morning and not able to get back to sleep. I'll probably end up dozing during the day. Fed the cat at 4am, who then came to bed with me - he's still here, snoring softly, who is it that they always end up with half the bed!

Knee is still sore, quite surprised that it's tender at 7 weeks post op, oh well, guess I'll have to keep icing, elevating and taking my meds which I'm trying to wean myself off by stretching the time in between doses, may need to go back to 5 hours rather than 6 between each dose until knee settles again. Think the Physio may have caused some of the tenderness. Will just go for a short walk today if it's not aching too much.
 
Oh that's rough re sleep.

Is Fergus stretched out across the bed taking up far too much room for such a small creature?! Patti was good at that.

Probably is the physio that's made the knee sore today. It's the 24-48 hour window afterwards isn't it?

Hope you have a good day with a few naps!
 
@Raffs Yep that's exactly what he does, I'm normally perched on the very edge of the bed! He's got up now so at least l can stretch out!

I'm sure it's to do with the Physio, got about 3 weeks before my next session and another 5 weeks before my knee class starts, so plenty of time for it to really settle down.
 
Slept fairly well, woke briefly at 12.30am, then at 4am. Been awake ever since. Visit from my boss and one of the other ladies from work today. I'd have cooked some scones or a cake if l could stand comfortably in the kitchen for 1/2 hour or more, as it is hubby will have to buy something.

Knee isn't too bad, still icing, elevating and taking meds. Calf muscle is a little achy and I have to massage the muscle behind my knee regularly to get extension, hoping that will settle soon.
 
Hope it goes well with the boss. Get hubby to buy some cake - you can always pass it off as homemade!

Is your knee still swollen?
 
They'd never believe that he'd baked it, lol.

Knee is still a little swollen, but definition is beginning to return, have started to notice my patella reappearing!
 
That's good, mine is still very misshapen.
 
Only noticed that it had started to get some definition about a week or so ago. You'll get there, guess we have to be patient. My knee is always a little swollen at the end of the day, not to mention tender!
 
Back
Top Bottom