MUA CATSMUM's new road to recovery

Went for the first longish walk by myself today whilst hubby was at work and between the showers. Went quite well, made sure l iced my knee when l got back as a little tight. Want to try and get a little more movement in knee before my next Physio session which isn't for another couple of weeks so plenty of time! Still got a tight band at the top of the knee but hoping they will settle soon.
 
Slept really badly last night. Couldn't get off to sleep at all until about 3am, was then woken by the cat jumping on the bed at 4am. Think l will be dozing today.
Knee is a little stiff and sore over the patella area, not had that pain before so l assume it's because I'm trying to bend my knee more when walking. Went out for a slightly longer walk today too. Now elevating and icing my knee.
 
Hi. Sorry not checked in for a couple of days - parents here all day yesterday on nurse duty!

I know what you mean by getting in a right state - I nearly didn't go into the hospital! I was supposed to have a 3 week trip to Florida and the Bahamas in February but had to cancel last minute due to sudden flare up of pain. We got a refund though so will be able to rebook at some point.

Definitely sounds like you got your right knee done at the right time, cannot imagine wearing a brace at night - eek!!

Well done on the walks. How long was it after surgery before you felt brave enough to venture outdoors for a walk? Can't imagine it at the mo at 9 days out!

Boo to bad sleep. Do you think it was because of your longer walk? Nice one, Fergus!! Just as you'd managed to doze off. Cats really are menaces aren't they?

Hope you manage to get some naps in today.
 
Hi Raffs, no worries. Hope your parents were good nurses.

That must have been very disappointing when you had to cancel your trips, especially as you were probably looking forward to it. Hopefully you'll be able to rebook soon.

I went out for short walks (literally to the end of the driver and back initially) from the day after l got home. Went out everyday with my hubby for a walk around the block after that. Yesterday and today probably walked about 1/3 mile. Just trying to build up my stamina as will need to walk 1/4 mile and back to the GP surgery in 10 days!!! If my knee doesn't feel up to it then l have no problems with missing a day in order to let it settle down. I'm sure it is down to walking further and making sure my knee bends more - Physio kept telling me to bend it last week and stop limping!!!

As much as l love Fergus, he can be an absolute buffoon! He came in with a scratch on his face today, obviously from fighting with the girl cats next door (he hates them!)

Have already had a couple of catnaps
 
Yes, they were actually, was quite surprised!

It was our 10 year anniversary trip so we were absolutely gutted. Many tears were shed. We'll rebook for next year once I know that the right knee has healed and that the left knee will hold up. Thinking about going to Cyprus to a posh hotel in October as a little treat.

You've inspired me - just been out into the garden (well, yard really) for a few minutes - it was lovely. Going to start walking outside for a few mins from tomorrow. You're doing really well. I'm limping really badly too but not too worried as only 9 days out.

Cats are such funny little creatures. I never stopped being amused by the silly things our girl did, right up until the night we lost her. It's 2 months tomorrow and the house still feels empty. Daft, aren't we??!

What do you use for icing? I've got a cryo cuff but finds that it heats up very quickly so I have to change the water often. And are you using a crutch or a cane or neither now?
 
When l had my left knee replaced back in 2013, my sister came and looked after me for a day when my hubby was away, she was absolutely useless, and to make matters wore, she's a nurse, lol.

I can understand tears being shed when it was a special holiday. That would be fabulous and give you something to look forward to in October. We are going to Portugal in October and meeting up with some friends so I'm really looking forward to that.

Just a few minutes a day will help you build up your stamina. Doesn't need to be far just literally a few steps. Don't overdo it though! I have to remember not to limp, my Physio always tells me off when l limp, worse thing is though is that l don't even know I'm limping! You are still in your very early days so have plenty of time. Take it slowly and don't rush.

Cats just really work their way into your affection. We had 2 old cats when we moved here 12 years ago, we lost one a week after we moved in and the other a year later. The house felt so empty without them that we decided to get another one from the local cats home. Had to wait a month for an inspection before we were allowed to bring him home, he was only a baby and was so frightened, he's now an absolute buffoon, lol.

I use a cryo cuff that l had for my ltkr. Hubby puts 3 or 4 frozen blocks in it - we use plastic pudding bowls, fill them with water and freeze them. Normally last the day. The cuff only stays cold for about 25 minutes or so but is so comforting. I'm using a cane, never had crutches. Went from 2 walking sticks to one on my first Physio appointment, had hoped to ditch the other one last week but Physio said l wasn't ready, fingers crossed l will be in 12 days time when l go again.
 
So tired last night and knee a little sore. Went to bed really early and slept a solid 5 hours before waking for meds, read for 30 minutes, went back to sleep and woke at 5.45am. Knee feels a lot better today, went out for lunch with my sister to a local farmshop and now icing, elevating and resting. Feeling happier today and feel that my rom is improving :)
 
Had my first physio session since the op today. I've written about it on my thread so won't hijack your thread by talking about it! Short story - went pretty well.

We adopted our cat from my brother. He adopted her from a shelter - she was dumped on the doorstep pregnant, poor love. We only had her for just under 6 years but she was the most important member of the family!!

I'm having to change the water in the cuff about every 25 mins too. We freeze huge blocks in some silicone baking trays, the ones that loaf cakes are baked in. They last quite a few hours in the cryo.

Good news re the sleep! You feel better today? Farmshop lunch sounds lovely.

What's your current ROM?
 
Hi @Raffs just noticed your post!!! I read your thread, so pleased your Physio went well.

All the cats we have had were adopted from various cats homes. One of them, Sophie, was thrown over the fencing surrounding a electric substation when she was about 6 weeks old. Thankfully a friend heard crying and managed to rescue her. We ended up having her as our friends car refused to accept her. She actually had to have major surgery when she was about 10 weeks old as she had a twisted bowel! She lived until she was 17 and was a beautiful cat.

Sounds like you're having to change the water in your cuff like l do. Gets warm after about 25 minutes.

Felt lot better yesterday, knee is a little stiff today but not too painful. I was going to go food shopping with hubby but decided against it as we have friends coming for lunch.

Think my current ROM is about 105, not that happy with extension as l am not yet at zero so working on that either the exercises the Physio gave me. Guess it takes time. Goid news about your extension, your ROM will come so don't worry about it.

Have a lovely weekend, always enjoy reading your thread.
 
Woke at 12.30am this morning after going to sleep about 10pm. Iced knee and went back to sleep until 5am. Sleep pattern appears to be getting back into my normal routine.

My ROM appears to be improving slowly, but disappointed with my extension as not yet at 0. Hoping that will come in due course.

Happy weekend everyone,
 
Sleep pattern seems to be going to sleep at 10pm, waking at 12.30am, read for 30 minutes, then back to sleep until 5am or so. Not bad.

Had a fairly good day yesterday, had some friends over for a BBQ, sat outside for about 4 hours or so in total, made sure l iced my knee a few times during their visit. They were quite impressed at how well l was doing at 5 weeks out which is great as l didn't really think l was making that much progress. Felt absolutely dog tired when they went though. Hubby enjoyed himself, although he was less than please when he broke a bottle of wine!!!! Still plenty more where that came from, lol. Made sure l elevated my leg etc even they left.

Knee doesn't feel too sore today, but am planning on resting as much as possible.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great updates. All sounds good, especially the BBQ. Particularly good re sleeping. I'm similar - 11pm to 2am then awake for 30 mins then 2am to 5am, wake to take meds then 5am to around 7am-8am. I'm happy enough with this.

Your Rom is very good and your extension will come. We appear to be opposite - you have the bend and I have the extension!!

Hope your knee doesn't tell you off for yesterday. Cloudy and cool weather today so perfect excuse to stay in and nap!
 
@Raffs you can have some of my ROM if l can have some of your tension, lol. I'll get there just take a little bit if time, l guess.
 
Interesting reading about your cane etc.
First time around I had a walker for two weeks then a cane for a few weeks.
This time it was crutches initially and as I progressed I was told to use them to help me stride out and not limp - it worked. I still have the cane and I could use it but don't use it as I prefer to be upright and straight without it. Its good for stopping the neighbours puppies jumping up at me in the park though.
Like you I'm pottering around and doesn't it feel good?
I rather like a walk around the supermarket at the moment as I like walking tall behind the trolley and no one can bump into me - daft really.
The family are expecting more and more of me now - blast.
 
Was so excited. Yesterday evening as my extension had suddenly improved, decided not to take a codeine before going to sleep. Big mistake!! Woke at 1.15am with pain and achy knee. Suffice it to say, painkiller taken and knee being iced as l type this. Possibly did a little too much yesterday as first visit to shops, helped hubby prepare dinner and helped with housework!!
 
Sorry to hear about your disturbed night. How much codeine are you taking on average each day? I'm still on 480mg codeine and 4000mg paracetamol in a 24 hour period. Seeing my GP tomorrow to review my meds.

You did quite a lot yesterday!! Well done.
 
@Raffs I'm only taking 120mg of codeine per day (30mg each dose), taking same paracetamol as you and naproxen 500mg morning and night. I did manage to get back to sleep and then woke up when hubby got up for work. Seeng my GP next week to get a fit note, will be 6 weeks by then, can't quite believe how fast time is going, initially it went really slowly but now seems to be flying, just wish my recovery also was happening at this fast rate, hate not being able to do things, although l probably overdid my exercises yesterday to get my extension, lol.
 
Think l may have overdone things once more. Knee tight and sore after going shopping yesterday and out for lunch and walking quite a lot today. Icing, rest and meds is now required.
 
Do you know why you've been given naproxen instead of ibuprofen? Is it a stronger anti inflammatory?

How long can you take off work? Do you have a plan for returning? Do you have a desk job?

I can't believe how quickly the days are going either - 2 weeks tomorrow!

Patience, patience, patience - plus icing meds and rest!!

Very easy to overdo the exercises in order to get us where we want to be but probably counter productive!!
 
Back
Top Bottom