MUA CATSMUM's new road to recovery

Had to take an unscheduled trip to the duty nurse this morning, noticed that the area on my scar where l'd had the undissolved stitch looked raised and was a different colour, touched it and it burst! Turns out that the end of the stitch had been discharged by my body in the only way it knew how! Iodine dressing and covering now on it for a couple of days to ensure it dries out and heals. No infection thankfully. Little worrying initially though, got to keep an eye on it over the weekend.
 
Oh no! That must have been scary, glad you managed to get it sorted quickly. Nice weather today!!!!
 
@CATSMUM @Raffs It is good to find other Brits on the forum, it seems predominantly American. Your both ahead of me, I am not yet 48 hours in, and still feeling quite a bit of pain. However queasiness has gone though appetite not big, and still very tired. I had a general, but all tubes, drips, oxygen and squeezy socks have gone. Did you have those electric socks or just white stockings. They seem to be a Brit special, while we tend not to have ice machines, and CPR machines seem equally rare. This may of course be just this hospital what did yours do? Hope you both progress well like catsmum this is my second, and thankfully it is so far easier than the first, I don't remember how the pain compares but I think this is easier.
Jackie
 
@Raffs hi there, just thought I'd check and see what was happening and noticed your post! Scar is looking good, still gotten iodine dressing and cover on it, will take it off on Monday and see how things are progressing. Home alone for a few hours this afternoon as hubby has gone to see his family who are all attending a festival a few miles away, he's cycled so that he can have a few drinks so it's just me and Fergus :catbutterfly::eyebrows:
 
@Majic Hi there Jackie, you're right, there aren't many Brits on this forum. I didn't have much of an appetite initially either, although it's returned now! I'm still feeling tired at just over 7 weeks out although l am starting to do normal things again, like cleaning shower rooms and visiting the shops to buy food!! Hubby never seems to get the correct stuff, lol.
I had a spinal anaesthetic and was in the land of nod for most of the op, l can recollect the noise of drilling and hammering but it didn't really register that much. I've experienced a lot more pain with this one, although initially it was much more comfortable. I didn't have a kneecap with my left knee replacement so whether that is the reason I'm not sure, but looking at the journal l kept for my left tkr, l reckon I'm about 2 weeks behind with this one. I had electric bootees/leg stocking when l was in hospital followed by 2 weeks of blood thinners. I also have a cryo cuff which l was given by the hospital when l had my first op (private hospital but on nhs contract), they did give me a new cuff but told them that l was more than happy to use my cryo cuff cooler rather than have a new one.
I will follow your recovery and hope that it continues to progress well.
Claire
 
Pleased to hear that the scar seems ok. Hope you're enjoying your quiet afternoon with puss cat.
 
And here I was thinking we had a lot of Brits here. LOL. We seem pretty balanced to me. It's great to hear the different perspectives and, encouraging in some ways, to hear no matter the approach, we seem to wind up healed in the end.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@PolarBear60. There are quite a few Brits but l think we are slightly outnumbered by our transatlantic cousins. It's amazing reading the different threads and realising how we all get through a knee replacement in varying ways but, as you say, end up healed.
Must admit this forum has been so helpful and informative to me not only with this replacement but my previous one in 2013.
 
Maybe it's the amazing force of knowledge and wisdom, AKA Josephine, that makes the British presence seem equal. :)


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Josephine is a real font on knowledge, we're so lucky to have her - she always gives such great advice and tries her best to put members minds at rest if she can. :)
 
Trip out to local shops today, now back home, icing and elevating. Knee not too painful today but will continue to take my meds. Checked the area on the scar where the dissolvable stitch had broken through and still not healed properly, put iodine on it and will check again tomorrow, rest of scar looks fine. Hubby cooking lunch again today, he's really been great, I'm very lucky as he never moans about the extra duties he's had to take on - I do allow him time of for good behaviour. Lol:cheers:
 
@CATSMUM those supposedly internal dissolvable stitches were a total pain for me. The OS called me a stitch spitter. :-)

So glad you have one that cooks! Mine did well with everything else, but I wasn't planning on living off hot dogs and grilled cheese! The cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store came in very handy post surgery!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
@tigz Glad I'm not the only one that has problems with these supposedly dissolvable stitches. Think I'll probably allow it to dry out in the open air tomorrow.

My hubby is quite a dab hand at cooking, tells me he quite enjoys it, might just have to play the invalid card for a couple of months longer. :heehee: From my recollection of the rotisserie chickens we had when we holidayed in Florida, they were absolutely delicious, yummy.
 
I don't think I had those stitches, no sign of them anyway!! Do you need to see the nurse again? Hope hubby didn't shred the meat like last week?! Mine loves cooking so I've been well fed - Moroccan style meatballs later tonight.
 
Hi @Raffs, I didn't have the problems with dissolvable stitches last time, but this time the one at the top of th scar has been a real pain! Hoping not to have to see the nurse again but if l will do if l think it needs looking at, can't afford to take chances at this stage of the game.
Hubby did a good job with lunch, pork fillet was cooked nicely, had it with a wine, sherry and cream sauce! The Moroccan style meatballs sound yummy.
 
Definitely not. Better to be safe... Your lunch sounds very luxurious! 5 mins to meatball time, apparently...
 
Had a good night, went to sleep at about 9.45pm, some briefly at 2am and then at 5am, best nights sleep since l had this knee done. Checked the scar and looks as if the area where the dissolvable stitch had come out is almost healed, put some more iodine dressing on and a plaster, I all's well when l shower this evening, I'll leave it off and let it heal exposed to the air.

Hubby is at work today so am home alone. Will go out for a short walk (as long as it doesn't rain) and just potter around in between icing and elevating. Going to buy a proper leg support pillow this week as Aldi have them as a special buy on Thursday, yep I'm a cheapskate, lol.

Have a great Monday everyone.
 
Brilliant! Great re the scar too. Have a good day and enjoy your pillow when you get it! How far do you walk each day (in addition to normal pottering around the house)?
 
At the moment just over 1/2 mile, started off walking to the end of the cul-de-sac, then round the block until l was walking the distance I do now. Only started this distance on Friday so will try to extend the distance each day. It's about 1/3 mile to our local shops so if l can walk just a little further , I'll be able to pop into the cafe for a coffee.
 
Back
Top Bottom