MUA CATSMUM's new road to recovery

@Raffs I was prescribed naproxen some time ago as my knee was so painful. Naproxen is a stronger anti-inflammatory than ibuprofen.

I'm a civil servant and work in Bristol. I can take upto 6 months off on full pay, then 6 months on 1/2 pay, however, l am hoping that l will be able to implement my return to work plan (which will be over a 3 month period) from the middle of September. I do have a desk job as I'm a finance manager but as we go to work manly by train and it can take quite a time to get to work from where we live, my manager has already agreed to my return to work plan. Basically, l'll start working reduced hours for a few weeks and gradually build up to normal days.

I have a knee class that I will be attending twice a week for 5 weeks from beginning of September too.

It'll be Christmas before we know it!!!
 
I'll talk to my GP when I see her today about anti inflammatories. I haven't taken any since Thursday because of gastric issues.

Your return to work plan sounds very sensible. Good that your employer has been supportive, mine has too. I work in central London so have the Tube to negotiate so I'm going to work from home for a while.

What's a knee class?? I want to go to one!!

It is nearer to Christmas 2015 than it is to Christmas 2014!!
 
I have to take omeprazole with my naproxen which helps my gastric problems.

Good to hear that your employer is sympathetic, I normally work from home twice a week so already am set up for my return to work plan when it kicks in. I worked in central London years ago and know what the tubes can be like only too well, lol.

The knee class is run by the physios from the hospital (private hospital but NHS patient) where l had my tkr, it's held in the hotel gym opposite the hospital and is basically an intensive gym, Physio course. Found it so useful after my last Tkr. I have to pay for it but it's well worth the £200 or so.
 
I was taking Omeprazole then Lansaprazole. Still getting bit of heartburn now even though not taking any anti inflammatories!

Yes, can't say I'm looking forward to the tube. I've been working from home full time since Feb as the knees couldn't cope with my building anymore - 8 flights of stairs and no lift!! They are currently looking for a new building for us - yesssss!! Will still need to commute but that'll be fine as long as we have a lift in our new place!

Knee class sounds really good. Definitely worth the £££. I'll be able to use the gym where I'm having my physio, apparently. Not yet though - ouch!!
 
@Celle or any other advisor/member My knee sometimes gets a little red/pink warm patch at the bottom near the scar , is this because l do too much or should l talk to my GP.
 
It's difficult to diagnose long-distance! If the pinkness and warmth come and go, it could be through doing a bit too much. However, if it is constant and getting worse, you should see your doctor.

Don't take any chances though. If it worries you, see your doctor.
 
My scar has been unveiled today and I have a small red/pink patch at the top around the scar. I will monitor it and see how it is in a day or two. If it's still there on Friday then I'll speak to the physio about it for advice. I know I overdid it yesterday so I'm thinking it's that plus I'm slightly allergic to the steristrips which have just come off. Keep me posted.
 
@Raffs Do keep an eye on it, it's probably nothing apart from a minor allergy, but better to be safer than sorry. My little red patch has settled down at the moment, so hoping it may have been due to the fact I did too much!
 
Slept from 9.30pm to 1.30am this morning, then found it difficult to get back to sleep. Think l dozed off about 4.15 and woke at 6.30! Hubby's birthday today so off out for a meal at lunchtime.
 
It's gone already! Bit of icing and resting has done the trick. I think it might have been the steristrips as it feels better now they've gone.

Or, like you, it was protesting at overdoing it yesterday!

Have a lovely birthday meal with hubby.
 
Had a good day yesterday, knee was behaving really well. Enjoyed hubby's birthday meal. For the first time since my surgery, l sleep really well, hopefully, I've now turning the corner where sleeping patterns are concerned. Knee feels a little stiff this morning, so will do my exercises and hopefully that will loosen things a little. Off out with a friend for a cuppa later today.
 
Yay to good sleep! Makes a big difference.
 
Happy Friday! Hope you have a good weekend - knee-wise and otherwise.
 
@Raffs Happy Friday to you too. Hope you have a super weekend, don't overdo things!
 
Slept well again last night. Woke with awful headache, nausea and dizzy feeling, think l may have a bug. Feeling better now but feel so tired. Needed desperately to have my hair cut so needed to dose myself up to ensure I made the appt. Hopefully I'll start to feel better soon.

On a brighter note, the knee is moving a little easier.

Have a good weekend everyone.
 
Sorry to hear you felt poorly yesterday. How're you feeling now? Did you manage to get your hair done? Great news re the knee moving easier.
 
Feeling much better today. Managed to get my hair cut, really needed a good tidy up as hadn't had it cut for 6 weeks. Knee is a little tender today as having to walk upstairs now to use the 'facilities' as out downstairs facility has decided to misbehave. Should be someone coming in today to look at it!!! Think we may need to invest in a new loo!!!
 
Knee still a tender and stiff., thankfully, the downstairs loo has been repaired! Have been icing and elevating. Went to the pub yesterday and enjoyed an hour sitting in the sun, drink a glass of rose wine and just watching the world go by!
Seeing Physio on Tuesday so will see what she thinks if my progress. Got to get a fit note from my GP tomorrow so that l can send it to work. Not due to see my OS for another couple of weeks so will probably ask for him to give me fit note that covers 8 weeks when l should be ready to begin my return to work plan.
 
Glad you got the loo fixed! Glass of rose in the sun sounds wonderful. 8 weeks sounds sensible as you have a phased plan in place don't you? Part time from home at first?
 
I do have a rtw plan in place, which will start on about 14 Sept. Working for about 4 hours per day the first week and increasing gradually to a full day over the next 3 weeks or so, and then gradually introducing going into the office one day per week for a couple of weeks, then 2 days and finally resuming normal working days (3days per week in office). I normally work from home twice a week. The first few weeks will be working from home.
This is the plan l used for my left knee and it worked very well.
 
Back
Top Bottom