MUA CATSMUM's new road to recovery

My IT band gave me fits until I had to keep off my feet for two weeks due to a blood blister under my big toe. That rest kind of cured everything and really made me believe in the less is more mantra. Hope your stiffness goes away ASAP.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Slainte That blood blister sounded horrible. Glad you're ok now. My therapist has told me that my muscles have got lots of lactic acid in them which is not helping my recovery. Must admit that the knee is feeling easier today, looking forward to the day though when l don't have that 'tight' feeling.
 
@CATSMUM Just catching up on your posts. My knee still playing up at times at the moment feels hot and swollen at night so ice and elevation again...don't get me wrong I done have the pain in it that I had a couple of months ago but still frustrating that I'm still icing and elevating at 5 months...can't wait till I am able to say my knee feels great and was glad I had it done...worst thing is people saying in an amazed voice "you still have pain after this time" I tell them to read up on a TKR and then ask me...I get so mad oh well these things are sent to try us and the certainly do....:hairpulling::arrow:
 
@kakamac 56 Sorry to hear your knee is still playing up, it's so frustrating and l know exactly how you feel when people say that! They've no idea and when you say to them go and look at the You Tube video, they back off!! This is a long haul recovery and l just wish some people would understand that! My pain does seem to be less now than it was a few weeks ago, so l'm hoping that I've tuned the corner at last. Hopefully, it won't be too long until you find that you've turned that corner. :fingersx:
 
Quick update on my progress. I had my Physio/sports massage session this morning. Went well. Have booked in 3 further sessions, my physio reckons that another 3 should see vast improvement. She said that my hamstrings have already settled down, so I'm showing signs of improvement at last. She's also managed to work out what the tight feeling is in my knee - it's my quads and IT band, she was massaging them and noticed how hard they were, said they were like cement! Finally I feel as if I'm getting somewhere. :yahoo:
 
@macduf387 thanks, been in the other side for almost 6 months now and am only just beginning to feel as if I'm making good progress.:gaah:
 
:flwrysmile:Ha ha @CATSMUM it must be the Meds well that's awesome that you are doing so good it's gives the rest of us encouragement. :dancy:
 
@CATSMUM what exactly is the IT band? I have spoken about it before, but I don't know what it is exactly.
 
@Majic Here is a definition of what it is

The iliotibial band (IT band) is a band of fibrous tissue that runs down the outside of the thigh. The IT band interacts with the quadriceps, hamstrings, gluteal muscles, and hip flexors. Its primary function is to provide stability to the outside of the knee and hip during movement.
Basically it runs down the side of the leg and finishes just below the knee. Runners suffer from IT band problems. It can make bending your knee difficult if it's too tight.

My problem is due to quads and IT band tightness.
 
Off to London today, this trip will give my knee a real workout as it's the first time travelling by train since my op. Going to the Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park and also a visit to Harrods to marvel at their Christmas display and mingle with the rich folk :egypdance:
 
Hope you had a good day in London today @CATSMUM I went to Winter wonderland last year but was too much for me (& that was before I even thought about my op) hopefully you didn't overdo it.
 
Oh, I am so jealous! London is my favorite big city, and they do Christmas so well! Tell your knee not to be naughty or Santa won't bring it any presents!
 
The IT Band looks like this:
[Bonesmart.org] CATSMUM's new road to recovery

I had IT issues in both knees after my BTKR---and they can be boogers to go away, too. I used stretching and ice massage to slowly send it packing.

Here are some stretches:
[Bonesmart.org] CATSMUM's new road to recovery
[Bonesmart.org] CATSMUM's new road to recovery

[Bonesmart.org] CATSMUM's new road to recovery
After I stretched I used an ice massage---fill Dixie Cups full of water, freeze them, and then apply directly to the sore area. As the ice melts, simply peel the paper away.
[Bonesmart.org] CATSMUM's new road to recovery
 
@suemegane @Slainte Had a very nice time at Winterwonderland - very long day and l must admit that my knee did start complaining about 6 hours in. It was very tender and stiff on Saturday but is almost back to where it was last week. Loved the Ice Bar at Winterwonderland but oh so cold, lol. Probably going back next year! Just got back from Bath Christmas Market which was busy but easy to get round - I'm very fortunate that l only live 30 minutes away!

Thanks also to the moderators for the IT Band info, very useful. I'm seeing my OS tomorrow for a follow up so will post a report after I've seen him.
 
Lovely! We went to the German Christmas Markets 2 years ago and loved them! We did a river cruise from Nuremberg to Budapest. Absolutely enchanting!
 
Must admit the German Markets are superb, went to quite a few when l lived there.
 
Saw my surgeon on Tuesday, he's happy with my progress and told me that I'm where he thought I should be at 6 months post op. He asked if my kneecap area was painful and l confirmed it was, he said that he wasn't surprised as there is scar tissue there (that's what is causing the grinding/crunching). Although the NHS won't pay for sports massage and 1 to 1 Physio, I'm paying for it privately at the hospital l had the op in. That should help break the scar tissue down. The flexion was better than l had thought, about 125 but haven't got full extension yet so l guess patience is the name of the game. This is a long road to follow and I'm only a short distance down it. Not due to see OS for 6 months so by that time things should be hugely improved.
 
Congratulations @CATSMUM glad to hear you are doing well now, and that you had a good holiday. I am now down to 1x 500mg paracetamol 4x day, although I shall take something a bit stronger next Tuesday evening when we are going to our dancing classes Christmas dinner dance- black tie, long dresses, the works! Bladder seems better, but still on antibiotics, which is a nuisance, but not for long now.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom