MUA CATSMUM's new road to recovery

Had another session today, IT band is still playing up but beginning to loosen at last. My therapist believes the problem is being caused by sitting at my desk for upto 8 hours per day and then sitting in the car/train travelling to work and back for a couple of hours per day. She thinks that I'd benefit from working from home an Stea day per week until my knee settles. Got an appointment to see my GP to discuss in 10 days time. I'm hoping that this isn't as good as my knee gets! Feeling very frustrated with it and the length of recovery! Also told that l shouldn't compare my right knees recovery with my left knee, which by this time, was virtually back to normal.
 
This is the same problem as I have, I drive to work sit at desk for up to 7 hours & then drive home. I want to be able to start walking up to 10,000 steps per day but only managing approx 3000-4000 it's not enough. I was trying to do some bending with my computer chair on wheels but have been so busy haven't had chance to. Once the better weather comes we many be able to go for walks in the evenings:dancy:
 
IT band is still playing up but beginning to loosen at last.
I also had IT Band issues---they are pesky and are rather slow to go away and certainly do wear out their welcome!

I'm hoping that this isn't as good as my knee gets!
You are going to get better!!! Remember how long a recovery can take---and you are still getting there!
Also told that l shouldn't compare my right knees recovery with my left knee, which by this time, was virtually back to normal.
Even with my BTKR, my left and right knees recovered on different terms and on different schedules. My left knee was "angelic" and my right knee was the "problem child."
 
Have you been given the IT Band stretches to do?

I did get great relief by doing an ice massage. Take a Dixie cup, fill it full of water and freeze it---then apply directly to the painful area, and, as the ice melts, peel the paper away.
[Bonesmart.org] CATSMUM's new road to recovery
 
Hi Claire, sorry you're still having problems. Don't be too despondent. You and I and many others are just recovering more slowly than other people. I am sure we will get there in time.@suemegane How right you are about the British weather at the moment. I went out with my husband and the dog this afternoon and he had to hold my hand to stop me from blowing away. We shall all get better sooner and have much fewer muscle problems when we are not constantly battling gale force winds.
 
Thanks @referee54 and for your replies. I know that recovery is a long process and this forum is so good for support. Guess I'm just feeling a little disheartened at the moment with my recovery. You're absolutely correct when you say I'm still getting there in this recovery, just wish my boss would understand that!

@suemegane I'm still finding driving distances a problem but hopefully will get there sooner rather than later. I try bending exercises but my computer chair is not that forgiving and l must admit, l've been getting a few funny looks, lol.
 
@referee54 havent been given any yet as my Physio wanted to see how the IT band settles. Will try your suggestion about ice massage though.
 
@Majic Always good to hear from you. I guess I'm just impatient and want to be able to run before l can walk (properly), Physio told me that l need to be patient, but l must admit, I'm beginning to run a little bit low on patience now!! Looking forward to the better weather though when l can get out more.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Had a fabulous afternoon meeting @Raffs and her other half. Good old chin wag and putting the world to rights. So nice to meet in person.
 
So glad to hear your afternoon with Raffs went well. What a pity the weather wasn't kinder, assuming Wiltshire weather is like Gloucestershire weather. It must have been lovely to have time to talk about knees and lots of other topics.
 
It was lovely! @Majic we talked and talked, mainly about knees of course but other things too! The other halves talked about sport! Lovely lunch too. I'm thinking about that bread and butter pudding now as I'm just about to have my boring salad lunch!
 
@Raffs We should have given you a doggy bag with the last portion of bread and butter pud in! Lol. Glad you enjoyed lunch, cooked by my hubby! I've been naughty and had a very healthy lunch, not! Well suppose banana was healthy but the boost bar and hula hoops weren't :heehee:

Knee wasn't feeling too bad first thing, tightened up a little now as had to walk to the GPs twice! Went to pharmacy who told me to see GP - turns out the pharmacist could hav advised me!! Oh well, good exercise and managed to avoid the rain, although the wind was very, very strong! Knee feeling a little stiff now!
 
Off to we the GP tomorrow, knee is still very tight and my Physio thinks that l might benefit from being able to rest it a little more at home. She thinks that my problem is being exacerbated by the fact l have a long journey to work and then sit with it bent for hours (I work in an open plan office on a computer). I work from home twice a week so hoping that the GP might support me working from home an additional day for a few weeks (Physio thinks it might help). Also want to ask him about the crepitus l get on both sides of my knee now, almost feels as if something catches every so often!
 
Saw my GP today, he says that l shouldn't have these problems (discomfort on lateral side of knee with stiffness which increases as the day progresses) at over 8 months post op and as my OS left the way open for me to contact him if l had problems, the GP recommended l saw him again. Appointment booked for next week. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.
 
Hi Claire, I get very stiff if I sit for long periods of time, and I get discomfort on the outside and inside of the knee but not at the same time, yesterday it was the outside today it is the insides. Yes both knees are still at the same stage! My OS said having put so much pressure on the knee before and after the operation they would get better together, and I must say that so far that seems to be the case.
I would think that your Physio is probably right as I sat for a long time last week at a meeting and afterwards and the day after they were so stiff I could hardly wLk. I doubt it is anything serious.

I am typing this in hospital and have had lots of drops in one eye, my sight is gradually getting worse, so I will stop now. Good luck with your OS.
 
@Majic Jackie, Thankyou for your message, I think I'm experiencing problems due to my current work regime, guess time will tell, especially with the sitting etc. My knee is tender and, l know we shouldn't compare, but my left knee at this stage was fine.
Hope your cataract surgery goes/has gone well and that you'll have perfect vision before too long.
 
Stupid boss who with that attitude is heading towards losing you altogether!
I am getting increasingly irritated by people comparing my tkr to their keyhole arthro!!
I had an arthroscopy 8 years ago and yes it was sore for a couple of weeks. But there is no comparison. Will be doing the 'talk to the hand' sign next time!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Had the discussion l was dreading with my boss, can't believe her change in attitude from the last time l spoke to her about my knee. She's accepted that l need to Work from home on extra day per week and leave earlier on the days I use the train to get into work. Not sure if it was the fitnote that swayed her or the fact it's a temporary arrangement and that I've got an appointment to see the OS on Tuesday. Knee is still feeling very tight and almost feels like it did before l had the op! Probably not too much wrong but guess l need to get it sorted as my life is a little on hold at the moment!
 
@CATSMUM So glad to hear that your boss has seen sense at last, I hope it makes life much easier for you.

My knees are both tight and stiff at the moment I am putting it down to too much sitting both in and out of hospital yesterday, and a lot of today due to terrible weather. It is almost like before op. But since it is both knees, one copying the other as usual I think it is more lack of use. This is quite likely your problem as you sit commuting and working. It is though very dispiriting and I find it difficult to believe that my knees will ever get back to normal. I try to look back a couple of weeks or so and think how painful they were then. I know my muscles are much better and I hardly have any problem with them anymore. How are your muscles after your massage?
 
@Majic l think you've hit the nail on the head about too much sitting when commuting and working. It is so disheartening as my left knee at this stage was almost completely recovered! I never had this tight, stiff feeling with that one, even in the early days. Mine seems to have stiffened up from the New Year, possibly due to my hours at work, but I'm a little too young to retire at the moment, lol. My muscles always ache a little after massage but they do feel a lot easier.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom