MUA CATSMUM's new road to recovery

I will be very interested to hear how effective the sports massage is for you. I hope it is a magic cure.
 
Sad to say, I don't think there are any magic cures in this recovery journey - but I sure do hope that the sports massage helps.
 
Absolutely correct, there are no magic cures, but the sports massage is helping loosen up my tight quads and it band. My hubby has noticed the difference already. The knee is beginning to function once more so I'm a much happier bunny. Guess part of my problem was that my left knee recovered so quickly - by 6 months post op (which l am now), l was pretty much able to do anything. As we're so often reminded on this forum, we mustn't compare recoveries. Looking forward to further recovery over the next few months.
 
Quick update. All appears to be progressing well. My extension has improved, although not yet zero but getting there. I find that l am able to do more things on a daily basis now - walked round Bath last week for a few hours without too many problems which would have been impossible at the start of the year. Also have been able to drive 50 miles round trip for the first time this year too! Quit exciting finding out all of the things l can do again. Walking downstairs is still not easy and l tend to go down one step at a time. The tightness at the side of the knee is also dissipating. Still have the crunching/grinding when bending my knee but I'm hoping that will improve.
 
@CATSMUM a very merry Christmas to you too....hope this year finds you fully recovered from your knee op xx

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
 
Thank you for your continued posting. It is inspiring for someone early on in recovery like me! Happy Xmas!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@sleepilu Really pleased my postings help. Saw my therapist yesterday and I'm making progress on a weekly basis now. When l think of where l was six weeks ago, before l started this course of Physio, the improvement is fabulous. Merry Christmas to you too.
@kakamac 56 Thankyou, hope 2016 is a good one for you too.
 
Hope everyone had a good Christmas. Mine was very busy and hasn't finished yet! Knees are holding up well, considering all the cooking, standing up and sitting down that I've been doing - aching a little but l guess I've not done this much in ages!
 
Hello! Just caught up on your thread, lol !! Good to hear that progress is being made - yay!
 
Just returned from a short break at Centerparcs, had a great time and was so happy that l was able to walk more than I've been able to do in the last few years. It's very hilly and l had no problems with my knee. I'm seven months out now and my knee is coming along nicely, still tender at times but compared to what it was like, major improvement. Looking forward to getting my life back fully in the next few months. Hope everyone has a great weekend. :flwrysmile:
 
Well, l think l spoke to soon last week, knee has been playing up this week and I've now been diagnosed with strained knee ligaments behind my knee. Been instructed to ice, rest and elevate. Also told that recovery could be longer if l don't heed the advice. Can't believe at almost 8 months post op, my knee still plays up. Someone said recovery is a roller coaster, how right they were. Seems l take a few steps forward and then a couple back!
 
I'm sorry to hear you've had this little setback.
You've been given the right advice, so rest, ice and elevate, and before long this little bump in the road will have been dealt with.
 
Claire, so sorry to hear about your setback. The same thing has happened to me. Last Sunday I took our dog out twice. Walked down to Church in the afternoon for a very special service to license our new Vicar, stood for a long time, then walked round to a reception at our local school. Knees were fine. On Monday we danced for 2 hours at Cheltenham Town Hall. Tuesday I walked down to town twice and had my hair done, then went to our dance class in the evening. Since Wednesday I seem to have gone backwards. Under my knees has been burning and pain has travelled part of the way down shins. Also muscles down outside of left leg are tight and get very painful.
I suppose it is a case of peaks and troughs and learn by your mistakes. In future I shall have an easy day before dancing, and not do too much two days together. I have felt depressed all day as last Sunday I really felt like I was progressing in a steady upwards direction, today my knee is 6 months old and painful but more depressing is the fact that the one which is 14 months old is more painful still, having been pain free before. I think I have gait problems and am putting a lot of pressure on it when it is still quite weak. Also I lost so much weight with the UTI that my arm and leg muscles seemed to waste away. Hopefully we can both look forward to the day when we shall be able to forget about our knees and get on with life. We certainly seem to be on a roller coaster at the moment, and I shall be glad when the ride ends.
 
@Majic Jackie, good to hear from you. We obviously think we're much further forward than we really are, l was so confident the week before, walking miles, up and down hill etc that l thought l was really coming out of that roller coaster ride! I still have some discomfort albeit that I've been icing, elevating and resting. I know we shouldn't compare recoveries but at this stage with my left knee replacement, l was back to normal, this recovery is nothing like that one, and like you, l do get depressed. Really sorry to hear that your left knee is so painful and troublesome. Have you seen anyone about your possible gait problems? Hope your UTI problems have settled down now. Like you, l really hope our roller coaster ride comes to a halt soon. Take care. xx
 
Had a horrible week, knee was really playing up due to strained ligaments, my boss was quite unsympathetic and insisted l go into work although l can easily work from home. I work from home twice a week already! Told her that l was really struggling with my knee and that the office environment wasn't the best place as l needed to ice, elevate and rest it - that fell on deaf ears completely! I did suggest perhaps working from home an extra day per week until it settles again (l have over an hour journey each way) and she would not agree to that. She wouldn't even agree to me catching an earlier train home to muss the crowds! Hubby drives us in but it isn't always convenient and is a very stressful tiring journey! Long and short of it is that I'm going to see my GP and speak to him about things in a couple of weeks (first appt l could get). Had Physio today and the good news us that my ligaments are settling, however, my IT band is still very tight! Physio said l should have self certificated for the week!!
Oh well, lets hope the next week is better!
 
@CATSMUM Poor you Claire what an awful boss, she should try a TKR! People don't understand do they. What a way to treat a.good employee. Fortunately or not I suppose I am quite a bit older than you - I wish I wasn't I don't have that problem.
This morning I took myself off to see a Chiropractor - story on my thread so now I feel I have someone who understands. What do you do at work, is it a sitting down job? Could you elevate while there?
Anyhow it's now Friday can you get plenty of fest etc over the weekend. Will your husband cook and wash up etc? Let's hope you feel much better by Monday. My thoughts are with you.
 
@Majic My previous boss was much more amenable to my temporary changes when l had m left knee replaced. I think that a lot of people think of a TKR in the same way as someone that's had an arthroscopy! They have no idea. I am a civil servant and spend most of my work day working on a computer. My problem is sitting with bent knees for hours which causes stiffness - l think that caused part of the problem last week as it was our busy time of the month (I'm a budget manager for my sins!) and I was working for 5 hours without standing up!! Unfortunately there's nowhere to go and elevate/ice so I've had to improvise by using an upturned cardboard box and disposable ice packs! Considering putting in for early retirement in Dec 17, I'll only be about 18 months from normal CIvil Service retirement at that point.
My hubby is brilliant and has been very supportive of me throughout my recoveries, he's a dab hand now at cooking and is an excellent servant, lol.
 
Boo to the boss!! I've been making a conscious effort to get up and walk around more often. Only a quick lap or bathroom trip but it does help with the stiffness. Hope you're having a restful weekend so far.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom