MUA CATSMUM's new road to recovery

Had a good knee class, knee was moving a little easier and pain was a lot less than last week. Spoke to the Physio about the problems I'd been having with my knees, turns out it's because l lifted the box yesterday and slightly twisted my knees, need to really strengthen the muscles. Hamstring is very tight so we did some gentle work on that. Guess it's just time that is the healer. Invested in an IT Band wrap, amazing, put it on and the tightness disappeared, took it off and there it was again! Will monitor progres over the next few days and see what happens.
 
Tell me about the IT band wrap! I might need that.

Funny how standing is such a killer. Even if I am just waiting for water to boil in the kitchen, I pace back and forth just so I don't stand still.
 
@Slainte It really was amazing, made sure I wasn't imagining things by taking it off and putting inborn several times and walking. The band is similar in looks to a patella support band, it's is about 2" wide and it fits about 3 inches above the kneecap and has a pressure pad that sits on the band itself, the strap is anchored in place by Velcro - there are different types though. I bought mine from eBay and it cost about $20 but l guess many of the online sports/Physio outlets will also sell them. Amazon will probably have them too.

Standing still is not good, need to keep on the move, don't we!
 
Had a good day. Wore my IT band support and it worked fabulously, no tight feeling side or bottom of the knee. Went to Sturminster Newton Cheese show, bought some lovely cheese and also trout!! Car was parked about a 10 minute walk from the entrance which I wasn't that please about, however, on the way out we were literally by the exit so that made me very happy! Enjoyable couple of hours with family eating freshly cooked pancakes with cheese and mushrooms and quaffing ale, can't be bad. I'm now resting my knee. Took the support off and the tight feeling returned immediately - might invest in another IT Band in due course.
 
I want one!! Can you post a link of the one you bought please? Thanks. Does it help to resolve the IT band issue or just alleviate the symptoms?

You sound like you've had FAR too much fun today!! Excellent.
 
Went on the Amazon site and read the reviews. Most are from runners, and very informative. @Braunzie , this is what I told you about. The reviews seem unanimous in stating that we need to use rollers and deep massage to really cure the IT band problem, but that this little strap really stops the pain. Mine is just a niggling little shimmer of electric activity right now, but I want one of these in my emergency supplies!
 
I used a tennis ball last year which helped (as recommended by Physio). I find the band is great for walking without the tight band feeling though.
 
I'm guessing it helps reduce / eliminate the propensity to limp when it get's rid of the tight band feeling?
 
Knee woke me up a couple of times last night. Drove for he first time yesterday and also prepared/cooked a roast dinner, so probably did a little too much. Didn't take any paracetamol yesterday and thought l was doing well (although l did take naproxen), took some paracetamol this morning to settle the tenderness. Still a little sore, but not as bad as a few weeks ago. Off to the GP this afternoon to discuss my return to work!
 
@Kansas Teacher Roxie, It really is very good, I've worn my virtually all day and have not experienced that horrible tight band - band only returns when l take it off! Limp is virtually non existent when I'm wearing it, take it off and I'm limping again!
 
Will be starting my Return to Work plan tomorrow, GP happy for me to have a phased return to work. Discussed hours and agreed that I'd work 4 hour days for a week, gradually increasing to 5 hours per day next week, and then normal days the week after. Will be working for home initially and in October going in one day per week, the other days working from home, in November increase to 2 days a week in office, and finally return to normal working week on Dec 1. Going to take this slowly, I'm very fortunate as I'm able to work from home as easily (if not easier) as going into the office. Spoke to my boss and she's quite happy (I think), she says she's got. Lot of work for me to do, but will let me have a look at my emails first and get used to working once again! Been a very long haul and I'm really only 1/2 way through my 6 month initial recovery stage (OS said it would be 6 months instead of 3 due to the fall at week 8). Will update tomorrow evening!
 
I'm glad you've been able to work out a good plan for your phased return to work. It sounds ideal.
 
@Celle Thankyou. It's a version of the one l used when l had my left knee replaced, thankfully, l have excellent employers who allow this type of return to work.
 
@CATSMUM Bought one of the IT bands going to see helps ease the tightness thanks for info CATSMUM X


Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@kakamac 56 You're welcome, hope you find it as good as l do. Just finished my first morning of working from home and was really glad to wear it as knee was so stiff, immediately took that feeling away when I put it on. How are you?
 
Off to Physio this afternoon, knee was stiff after my first morning working from home. Still taking anti-inflammatories and paracetamol, thought by now I'd be off them! Not starting work until late morning tomorrow (boss suggested that), so will have a good old rest. Her hubby has disabilities and so she is very aware of my limitations.
 
@kakamac 56 You're welcome, hope you find it as good as l do. Just finished my first morning of working from home and was really glad to wear it as knee was so stiff, immediately took that feeling away when I put it on. How are you?
@CATSMUM to be honest I think I am getting there and then something else happens. My legs seems to be going into a cramp when I am walking which results in me having a sore calf as well as the knee. Just get it back to normal and then it happens again. I have appointment at the doctors to check my bloods. Someone mentioned taking magnesium I will mention that to the doctor. I'm lucky in that I don't have to go back to work but I still care for my parents so it's hard when you feel you are making it and something else happens....see the physio on Thursday for the first time only because my doctor pushed for it. I will be able to see how they think my progress is doing. ...glad to hear you are doing a planned return to work that way you can check how much you can do xx

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom